HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer 2012 Free Agency: The 7 Signs of Semyonka (Part the 12th)

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
IMO (and puck daddy agrees), there was no offer. It's pure BS. This Garibaldo idiot is going to end up on HFB's ***** filter. I can't wait because I'm going to delete every POS rumor he's quoted for.

Back to the Real World:
Howson wants 2 NHL ready forwards for Nash per TSN. They're speculating (in a video segment) maybe Boston could swing it. Would make sense they're loaded with 2nd/3rd line tweener types (better than ours). We definitely don't have two forwards of the type they'd accept. Can't trade Kunitz and they're not going to accept any combination of Dupuis, Kennedy, Cooke, Tangradi so we're out of that racket IMO.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400556

Old
07-13-2012, 07:42 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
all star or not you don't want him anywhere near your pandora's box. he's liable to get reckless.
Just like Semin, we don't want him. Too lazy. Screw 40 goal scorers.

Need more Craig Adams type players!!!!

Old
07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
IMO (and puck daddy agrees), there was no offer. It's pure BS.

BTW Howson wants 2 NHL ready forwards for Nash per TSN. They're speculating (in a video segment) maybe Boston could swing it. Would make sense they're loaded with 2nd/3rd line tweener types (better than ours). We definitely don't have two forwards of the type they'd accept. Can't trade Kunitz and they're not going to accept any combination of Dupuis, Kennedy, Cooke, Tangradi so we're out of that racket IMO.

Ya I've been thinking Boston might make the most sense for either Ryan or Nash if they are even interested. They have a lot of really good forwards but very few great ones.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:50 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
@Gambo620

NHL source just confirmed to me that an Eastern Conference team has offered Coyotes Captain Shane Doan a 4-year deal worth more than 30 mill

Agree with what others have said that this is TOTAL B.S. The only way that is even remotely possible is if it's some crappy team that is well below the salary floor and needs to spend money somehow. My only guess would be the NYI, because they suck, have a stupid owner who likes to get involved & screw things up, and because they have a young team that is desperate for leadership. Either way, Doan ain't going there.

By the way: one wild-card situation about the Doan contract is the question of whether they will revise the over 35 rule -- and I personally believe there is a strong bet for this to happen, because I think it makes sense for the NHLPA and the owners of the higher-spending teams to want it.

I'm not saying this rule gets abolished altogether, but I think there's a real chance the age could be pushed back; say to 37 or 38 years old, for example. If this is the case, I think it becomes possible that this over-35 rule may not apply in Doan's case, and perhaps his cap hit can come off the books if he retires early. Just saying...

Quote:
Yah I realized that after I posted that someone might think I was confusing him with a jr player, but didn't change it because I don't think the number of games will be that different unless he rips it up. He'll get a taste then be sent to WBS.

This...(why is there no downward arrow on the keyboard?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I doubt he gets any until someone is on IR at least. We aren't going to waive somebody to give Bennett a cup of coffee.

Yeah. I'm not saying it's impossible that Bennett makes the starting line-up, but I would say the chance of it is less than 5% and becomes virtually 0% if we sign Semin/Doan or trade for another winger. I think he may see some games during the season if there's injury, but even if we made no further moves between now and the start of the season, I would be shocked if he made the opening roster.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Any interest in Vanek's hefty cap hit for 2 years? Not sure would we have any assets to make a deal or would Sabres even want to trade him. Only 26 goals last season.

Vanek for Kennedy, Jeffrey and 1st?

Old
07-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
IMO (and puck daddy agrees), there was no offer. It's pure BS. This Garibaldo idiot is going to end up on HFB's ***** filter. I can't wait because I'm going to delete every POS rumor he's quoted for.

Back to the Real World:
Howson wants 2 NHL ready forwards for Nash per TSN. They're speculating (in a video segment) maybe Boston could swing it. Would make sense they're loaded with 2nd/3rd line tweener types (better than ours). We definitely don't have two forwards of the type they'd accept. Can't trade Kunitz and they're not going to accept any combination of Dupuis, Kennedy, Cooke, Tangradi so we're out of that racket IMO.

Why can't we trade Kunitz? If we're going to have a hole in the top six anyway, better to have 2 great wingers than just 1. If the Jackets would somehow want Kunitz and Kennedy/Cooke, plus Martin and one of our top D prospects, why wouldn't we?

Dupuis-Crosby-Nash
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Jeffrey-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Vitale-Adams
MacIntyre

Maybe Ferriero would get a look on the right side with Kennedy gone. Either way, that lineup is better than what we currently have.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Why can't we trade Kunitz?
Because you end up with a similar lack of depth, just not quite as bad. Also Nash can't do some of the things Kunitz excels at and which are important to our top lines.

I mean if they'll accept Kennedy, Cooke and a 1st or something, by all means. But they won't. They're looking for a 20+ goal guy for sure and then someone to fill a Cooke-like role probably. They'd want Kunitz and IMO trading Kunitz and Tangradi for Nash will not on balance make us that much better a team. In some ways we'll be worse.

We're out of the Nash thing IMO. Teams like Boston have a lot more to offer CBJ without hamstringing themselves.

Muscles:
Re Vanek, don't like his contract and my instinct is no, but I'd consider it. That said, unless he took a pay cut in 2 years he'd be a goner so you're going to lose whatever trade assets you give away. I like Vanek but not sure he'd do that well here. Although Sid would free up a ton of space for him. He could pot 40 as easily as Nash could or he could be a dud.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:12 PM
mpp9

The best route is to trade from our depth on D. We can't afford to move any of our top 6 forwards. It doesn't make sense.

Kennedy+D-man can get us a struggling top 6 talent.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The best route is to trade from our depth on D. We can't afford to move any of our top 6 forwards. It doesn't make sense.

Kennedy+D-man can get us a struggling top 6 talent.
Maybe. AFA Howson he flat out says their strength is D and he wants forwards and will wait for them so any ideas we had about one of the big assets from us being a blue chip D prospect isn't happening.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:18 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Maybe. AFA Howson he flat out says their strength is D and he wants forwards and will wait for them so any ideas we had about one of the big assets from us being a blue chip D prospect isn't happening.
I've been pretty adamant about us not having the assets for Nash from the beginning. It's wasted keystrokes. Will never happen. Boston and NY can have him.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Agreed and I'm fine with being out of the Nash sweepstakes. I've never seen what the fascination is with this guy.
He's a good player but not worth his contract or the trade cost he'd require. He just happens to be one of the better options in this useless FA summer.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
This is what Howson has to choose from on the Pens.

Dupuis, Cooke, Kennedy, Tangradi, Jeffrey.

That 7.8 is a lot to take on and if the teams Nash has laid out don't meet Howson criteria there won't be a trade.

I'll also note he has only said "NHL ready" and nothing about what those players are consisting of goal/assist/point wise.

It does have to be more than what the Pens currently got though.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

We have no chance of getting someone like Nash or Ryan without parting with Brandon Sutter, another depth player and probably 2 of our very top prospects and even that may not be enough. I'd rather take a flyer on Alex Semin for a year or two or wait for a better trade opportunity to come along.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:37 PM
mpp9

Kunitz-Sid-XXX
XXX-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

I want that set-up next year. Find Sid his longterm winger. Preferably a RHS for the PP. And get Geno a big bodied presence on his LW. Give Tangradi a shot in camp. He was figuring out how to use his body properly along the boards. If he can build on that, I'd be perfectly happy with that solution.

Cooke/Sutter/Dupuis would be so ****ing difficult to play against. It just looks perfect.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

We keep forgetting Jeffrey's still here. Maybe they tryout Sutter on the wing and Let Jeffrey hold down the 3rd C spot until they see if he can transform to wing.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

No way we cut Sutter loose. If he plays reasonably well he's going to get an extension from Shero next summer probably and I'd bet it will be at least 4 or 5 years. He's the ideal "low cost" 3C. Staal light, basically.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
We keep forgetting Jeffrey's still here. Maybe they tryout Sutter on the wing and Let Jeffrey hold down the 3rd C spot until they see if he can transform to wing.
Na. I don't see Shero/DB every straying from the idea that Sutter is the longterm replacement for Staal. They seemed very high on his defensive ability. And Shero made it apparent after the trade went down that Sutter was a must in a trade for Staal. I'd imagine Staal is still on this team if we don't get him in return.

I'm all for giving him shifts in the top 6 and solid PP minutes. Him being a RHS and very raw in his offensive game, I could see him replacing Staal's offense in a third line role here.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
I've been pretty adamant about us not having the assets for Nash from the beginning. It's wasted keystrokes. Will never happen. Boston and NY can have him.
Yet you think we are getting Seto when there has been zero interest & it makes zero sense for them to trade him. Talk about wasted keystrokes.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHL proposal to players: 1-reduce players hockey related revenues to 46% from 57 %. 2-10 seasons in NHL before being UFA. 3-contracts limites to 5 years 4-no more salary arbitration. 5- entry-level contract 5 years instead of 3.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Hizaki
Swifty

Quote:
Kunitz-Sid-XXX
XXX-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

I want that set-up next year. Find Sid his longterm winger. Preferably a RHS for the PP. And get Geno a big bodied presence on his LW. Give Tangradi a shot in camp. He was figuring out how to use his body properly along the boards. If he can build on that, I'd be perfectly happy with that solution.

Cooke/Sutter/Dupuis would be so ****ing difficult to play against. It just looks perfect.
I threw this together in NHL12 just for the hell of it...however unlikely it is

Kunitz - Crosby - Semin
Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Jeffrey/Vitale - Dupuis
Adams

Though Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis would be a nasty line for sure.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
NHL proposal to players: 1-reduce players hockey related revenues to 46% from 57 %. 2-10 seasons in NHL before being UFA. 3-contracts limites to 5 years 4-no more salary arbitration. 5- entry-level contract 5 years instead of 3.
so we're not having hockey next year then?

Old
07-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so we're not having hockey next year then?
Pretty much.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:06 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
10 years? No way do players agree to that. Or the 5 year entry level deals, unless you're going to up the amount rookies can sign for. I can understand lowering players' share of revenue, but that's a little much.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:06 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Isn't the first offer in these basically always going to be a low ball?

Old
07-13-2012, 09:07 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Yet you think we are getting Seto when there has been zero interest & it makes zero sense for them to trade him. Talk about wasted keystrokes.
It's really not hard to understand that Minnesota has issues on the backend. Suter can only play so many minutes.

They have several very promising forward prospects that are NHL ready with Granlund a lock.Their GM saying as much. And now one of the best wingers in the game in Parise. Seto can be replaced internally.

They don't have the solutions on the backend in their system. Whether Fletcher moves him, who knows. But it's a hockey trade scenario.

Nash can be made available to us all we want, but we don't have the assets. It's a simple, not going to happen assessment.

Closed Thread