HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

New York Islanders 2012 draft review

Old
07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
New York Islanders 2012 draft review

Photo: Selected fourth overall, Griffin Reinhart is the highest picked defenseman by the New York Islanders since 1995. (Ian Altenbaugh/HF)

New York Islanders GM Garth Snow selected defensemen early and often in 2012, using all seven picks to bolster their blue line. His seven picks included a prospect from each of the three Canadian major junior leagues, one from Finland, and two other American born blue liners.

The Islanders also made a trade to immediately improve their defense by acquiring Lubomir Visnovsky from the Anaheim Ducks for a 2013 second round pick. He has one year remaining on his contract and was most likely brought into the fold to mentor their rising defensive prospects such as Calvin de Haan, Matt Donovan, and Aaron Ness.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
MichaelK

Nice article. Appreciate the emphasis on how far away Somerby and Bischoff are from the Islanders having to make a decision. Sounds like insurance in case Pokka decides to never come over or Pelech/Leduc do not develop as expected. Considering there was not much depth at F at that point in the draft (I do not consider the guys who fell past Round 4 even though projected as 2nd-3rd Round guys as depth since by that point every team, for the most part, has had multiple shots at the player and passed) I have no problems looking longterm

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
leaponover

Yeah, it was a pretty informative article. Sounds like Mitchell Theoret is going to be our next JT Lol, 7th rd pick i'm not complaining, just thought it was funny when I clicked on the link to his name and looked at his stats and his bio.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
onesinceforty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Nice article. Appreciate the emphasis on how far away Somerby and Bischoff are from the Islanders having to make a decision. Sounds like insurance in case Pokka decides to never come over or Pelech/Leduc do not develop as expected. Considering there was not much depth at F at that point in the draft (I do not consider the guys who fell past Round 4 even though projected as 2nd-3rd Round guys as depth since by that point every team, for the most part, has had multiple shots at the player and passed) I have no problems looking longterm
I'm sorry and don't want offend but the reason you mentioned with Pokka is exactly why I am all done with the Euros unless they play Junior over here. I wanted Matt Finn with that 2nd pick. Watch an see who plays in the NHL first.

onesinceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Menwithouthat tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
I'm sorry and don't want offend but the reason you mentioned with Pokka is exactly why I am all done with the Euros unless they play Junior over here. I wanted Matt Finn with that 2nd pick. Watch an see who plays in the NHL first.
Last year, I wanted the Isles to take defenseman Ryan Sproul with their second 2nd round pick, they took some guy I never heard of, Johan Sundstrom, instead. Sundstrom was good enough to earn an entry level contract and will play in Bridgeport until he is ready for the NHL. The Isles can bring Pokka to Bridgeport next year, but they wouldn't be able to do the same for Finn, it would be NHL or juniors for him.

Matt Finn was supposed to go in the 12-25 range and he dropped to 35, and the Isles passed on him. He played with Pedan, so he clearly wasn't overlooked. The Isles just had Pokka over him.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
Schenn played in the NHL full time before Pietrangelo does that mean Schenn is better? Come on now, saying a player will make the NHL leap sooner does not always mean they will be the better player in the long run.

On that note there were players I wanted over Sundstrom and Pokka in these past two drafts. However, at no point was I basing that on whom would make the NHL faster but more on how I thought the prospects would help the franchise.

That being said, hard to imagine every player who falls is going to live up to their pre draft ranking potential. Yes, guys like Hull (5th round), Webber (2nd round), Zetterberg (7th round), etc... were drafted later and were passed on multiple times. However, those guys are more rare than they are common and you assume certain players fall for a reason.

To go by the media's ranking and assume you are gettnig a steal or a huge bargi because the player was there in later rounds is not always a clear train of thought. Mainly because, NHL GMS SEE SOMETHING THE MEDIA DOES NOT.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
KrisBeKreame

Does anybody remember when about we do our Prospect rankings an Hockeysfuture does thier prospct re-ratings?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:14 AM
steveat

I actually think Reinhart can make it a lot sooner than people think, but it would be contingent on him gaining a bit more mass. He needs at least 30 more pounds for that frame of his. I would say no more than 45 more pounds. He definitley has the skill, the IQ and the bloodline. I can't see him not doing well at the NHL level.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
It's more of a methodology thing, but how does Cody Rosen have a 6.5 D rating?

Based on the ratings system, that translates to Rosen being expected to max out as a decent backup goalie in the NHL, albeit the 'D' grade suggesting the chance of that happening is slim. Up until this point in time, shouldn't he be closer to about a 4.5 or 5.0? AHL goalie, or a depth goalie at best?

It's the exact same rating as Jesse Joensuu and Mark Katic have, two guys who have already played NHL games, and who even as prospects surely had a much better chance of panning out than Rosen, no?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
It's more of a methodology thing, but how does Cody Rosen have a 6.5 D rating?

Based on the ratings system, that translates to Rosen being expected to max out as a decent backup goalie in the NHL, albeit the 'D' grade suggesting the chance of that happening is slim. Up until this point in time, shouldn't he be closer to about a 4.5 or 5.0? AHL goalie, or a depth goalie at best?

It's the exact same rating as Jesse Joensuu and Mark Katic have, two guys who have already played NHL games, and who even as prospects surely had a much better chance of panning out than Rosen, no?
he shouldnt even be ranked...

Im still confussed about the Rosen-gate scandel.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:55 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
There are thoughts about some guys being put into a category that would indicate that they have shown no real signs of NHL ability. Every team on this board has a few and they are still getting 6.something ratings.

We know that Rosen isn't a prospect at the moment and under what circumstances he was picked (which then led to Jankowski's quick dismissal).

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:55 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Here is Cory Pronman's draft wrap-up take on the Isles' draft:
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1342

>>>
New York Islanders

Player Position Selected (HP Rank)
Griffin Reinhart Defense 4th (15th)
Ville Pokka Defense 34th (29th)
Adam Pelech Defense 65th (92nd)
Lois Leduc Defense 103rd
Doyle Somerby Defense 125th
Jesse Graham Defense 155th (115th)
Jake Bischoff Defense 185th

Day 1: I'm usually a fan of what the Islanders have been able to do at the draft table the last few years, but I wasn't so crazy about the selection of Griffin Reinhart. Don't get me wrong—I think he's a good prospect, but as someone who rated him 15th, I just don't see the high-end tools to go in the top five. He's very good offensively for a player his size, but to take a defender that high, you need to have several plus if not elite skills and I just don't see that. I see a guy who tops out as a good #3.

Day 2: I never saw Pokka play a bad game this year. He's so smart and just finds ways to consistently make plays. He's a little small and not the best skater, but his skill and especially his hockey sense make him very desirable. Pelech is a player who has performed well defensively wherever he's played this season, but his offensive tools are fringe and I'm not sure I can see that shutdown style translate into more than a third-pairing NHLer. #4 upside is somewhat plausible, but I'm skeptical. Graham was thought of as a possible top-60 pick coming into the season. He's a plus if not bordering elite skater and has offensive tools, but his game has a ton of holes in it.

Summary: This is clearly a long-term draft class, which is what happens when you select all defensemen. I actually thought the Islanders had a strong defense core in their prospect system which clearly just got a huge boost. This draft class could provide good, but not great output, and I wouldn't expect a ton of value relative to draft slot.
<<<

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
There are thoughts about some guys being put into a category that would indicate that they have shown no real signs of NHL ability. Every team on this board has a few and they are still getting 6.something ratings.

We know that Rosen isn't a prospect at the moment and under what circumstances he was picked (which then led to Jankowski's quick dismissal).
A lot of families and friends read the prospect rankings and 6.0 is generally the lowest a player gets ranked to avoid engendering bad feelings towards those related to the prospect. Anyway nobody has done a historical study on how well ranked prospects have been on here. And from the perspective of a mathematician I hate the way rankings are done.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Hipster Doofus

Generally when someone's opinion of a prospect's upside is tied to his ranking's number, you can discount the opinion.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
he shouldnt even be ranked...

Im still confussed about the Rosen-gate scandel.....
My theory though no proof to back it up but hell it makes for a great bar chatter is that Rosen was selected because Janks knew that Rosen's dad was loaded. He hoped maybe he would then buy the team off Wang and make him the GM. Garth saw right through this power move and fired him instantly.

The whole thing is covered by Alex Jones in part 2 of Zeitgeist

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Here is Cory Pronman's draft wrap-up take on the Isles' draft:
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1342

>>>
New York Islanders

Player Position Selected (HP Rank)
Griffin Reinhart Defense 4th (15th)
Ville Pokka Defense 34th (29th)
Adam Pelech Defense 65th (92nd)
Lois Leduc Defense 103rd
Doyle Somerby Defense 125th
Jesse Graham Defense 155th (115th)
Jake Bischoff Defense 185th

Day 1: I'm usually a fan of what the Islanders have been able to do at the draft table the last few years, but I wasn't so crazy about the selection of Griffin Reinhart. Don't get me wrong—I think he's a good prospect, but as someone who rated him 15th, I just don't see the high-end tools to go in the top five. He's very good offensively for a player his size, but to take a defender that high, you need to have several plus if not elite skills and I just don't see that. I see a guy who tops out as a good #3.

Day 2: I never saw Pokka play a bad game this year. He's so smart and just finds ways to consistently make plays. He's a little small and not the best skater, but his skill and especially his hockey sense make him very desirable. Pelech is a player who has performed well defensively wherever he's played this season, but his offensive tools are fringe and I'm not sure I can see that shutdown style translate into more than a third-pairing NHLer. #4 upside is somewhat plausible, but I'm skeptical. Graham was thought of as a possible top-60 pick coming into the season. He's a plus if not bordering elite skater and has offensive tools, but his game has a ton of holes in it.

Summary: This is clearly a long-term draft class, which is what happens when you select all defensemen. I actually thought the Islanders had a strong defense core in their prospect system which clearly just got a huge boost. This draft class could provide good, but not great output, and I wouldn't expect a ton of value relative to draft slot.
<<<

I have no idea who he was until we selected him and I saw his interview the next day. He was hyperventilating and I just have this feeling that he will be a killing machine on the ice. Its always the quiet ones to watch out for.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:19 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
I'm very happy with the draft. At the time of it I was sitting there saying "what are we doing" when we passed up on some players that I liked, but that happens every draft. After reading about them, I like all of the kids and what they bring, except I'm not too high on Leduc. Too much boom or bust for the fourth round, I feel like he would have been available in rounds 6-7. Total project if you ask me.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote