HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shane Doan continued... $7.5m per year offer?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
Shouldn't be Montreal; Subban is not re-signed yet.

In retrospect, While Eklund might have guessed right that Gauthier wanted Tomas Kaberle just before the trade to Boston, there's a new GM in town...

Old
07-13-2012, 10:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Only reason I can't see this as being true is that if this was offered i'd be shocked if Doan didn't immedietely accept it...

$30 mil garaunteed for 4 years? That's a boat load of cash, he can fly back and forth from Phoenix.
Depending on how front loaded it is he could just request a trade back to Phoenix in two years.

11m, 10m, 6m, 3m <---Not that it would EVER happen.

07-13-2012, 10:41 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I don't believe he should be listening to those sources. For 1 year I think Doan could get 6 mill from a team willing to overpay heavily... like maybe Washington? They could use some help on the RW... but 7.5M per for four years? That's nothing short of insane.

4 year deal would have to have a 4M cap hit at the max.... even then I think that's a bit much given Doan's age.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Nuclear

Shane Doan is the quintessential Flyer, I would LOVE to see him in the Orange and Black on a 4 year contact, but even with our cap room and Pronger's LTIR, 7.5/ year is madness. I'd rather see Semin and his one dimensional play but offensive gift than Doan's excellent two-way play at that price.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:43 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
and since DW is our GM...

Old
07-13-2012, 11:01 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Not if he's taking his family into consideration. At this point in his career it will be more of personal and family preference than money. Also, if he'd like to win a Cup.

Would you make that big of a life decision that isn't only a major significance in your life but in the lives of five others that quickly? Doan and his family have been in Phoenix for A LONG TIME. It's his and his family's home.

DOAN: Hey family: $30 MIL for 4 years, and then we can move wherever the hell you want. Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I would prefer $5 to $5.5 million from Vancouver, LA, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Philly and a few other teams. While the contract is disgustingly good. This is likely Doan's last opportunity to win a Stanley Cup and honestly, what chances does Phoenix have of a repeat performance like this past season? You can always make money, even if only through good investment. Cup chances have an expiration date.
OK lets assume the term is the same.

You would leave $8-$10MIL on the table? Because "you can always make money, even if only through good investment"? :lol

Come on, brah.

Last edited by SenzZen: 07-13-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 11:04 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Not if he's taking his family into consideration. At this point in his career it will be more of personal and family preference than money. Also, if he'd like to win a Cup.

Would you make that big of a life decision that isn't only a major significance in your life but in the lives of five others that quickly? Doan and his family have been in Phoenix for A LONG TIME. It's his and his family's home.
I'd make a major life decision for $30 mi....

Old
07-13-2012, 11:12 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Ya, but Doan has already made $41,294,000.

At his age and what he's already made, leaving ~10 mil on the table isn't that big of a deal. He'll still be making a decent amount.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Would you shave 10 million off that kind of contract(including whatever else you've made in your career) for a cup ring? I know I would.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Ya, but Doan has already made $41,294,000.

At his age and what he's already made, leaving ~10 mil on the table isn't that big of a deal. He'll still be making a decent amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Would you shave 10 million off that kind of contract(including whatever else you've made in your career) for a cup ring? I know I would.
You guys can't be serious.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:20 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
You guys can't be serious.
When he retires he'll still have made ~60 mil. Tell me exactly how you would spend that in your lifetime unless you had no idea on how to manage money.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Insomniac99

I'd love the guy on the Sabres, but not for that cap hit. I really hope it's not the Sabres.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:23 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 263
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to shave off 10 million for a cup ring, especially if I had already made that amount of cash already.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:25 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

Its gotta be the Flyers. Holmgren is the only one stupid enough to offer that. Hey Paul, hows Bryz been workin out at that price? Might as well overpay another Coyote.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
When he retires he'll still have made ~60 mil. Tell me exactly how you would spend that in your lifetime unless you had no idea on how to manage money.
I could survive on 1 million for the rest of my life but when you're a multi-millionaire you're used to a certain lifestyle and that lifestyle is obviously much more expensive. You can never have too much money, you always want more. I'm sure Doan made a lot of money in his career but he also probably spent a lot (I wouldn't be surprised if he spent 50% of it) so he'd never say no to an additional 10 mil.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
Its gotta be the Flyers.
Clearly. A 4 year deal with an insane cap hit for an over-35 player has Holmgren written all over it.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
People in Africa have no idea how someone making $7.25 could ever be broke, but everyone in America that makes that much is. It's all relative.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:30 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I could survive on 1 million for the rest of my life but when you're a multi-millionaire you're used to a certain lifestyle and that lifestyle is obviously much more expensive. You can never have too much money, you always want more. I'm sure Doan made a lot of money in his career but he also probably spent a lot (I wouldn't be surprised if he spent 50% of it) so he'd never say no to an additional 10 mil.
While what you said might be true, I highly doubt it. Anyways, you don't know exactly how much he still has left in the bank, so that's an obvious factor. Family, friends, all that plays a factor. At 35 most people want to start settling down, not uproot their whole life and move to a different city.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
While what you said might be true, I highly doubt it. Anyways, you don't know exactly how much he still has left in the bank, so that's an obvious factor. Family, friends, all that plays a factor. At 35 most people want to start settling down, not uproot their whole life and move to a different city.
Yeah that's a big factor but still, 10 million is a lot of money. I would never trade it for a Cup. I respect your passion for the game though.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
I can answer that in one word, Jagr. But, I would never pay Doan that kind of cash now.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

To be honest, I wouldn't hate that investment from my team.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:37 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Wtf?

How can someone offer him 7.5 but not offer slightly more for Parise
Cap number aside, 70 million dollars difference on the value of a contract is not slightly more.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Unless the Habs bury Gomez in the AHL or make trade(s) surrounding Kaberle and/or Bourque for scraps, it's impossible that they could offer a contract with a cap hit of $7.5 million when they have just over $5 million left and Subban left to sign. Not happening.

I'd love to see Doan in a Habs jersey but for that price, over four years? No, thank you.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

IF this is true, it's a gross overpayment for a grossly overrated, over the hill player.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

And Doan didn't take that contract and run? He's earned $41m in his entire career (pre-tax salary). $30m is significant. I'd sign with Cleveland if they had a team there.

I think it's ******** rumour.

Closed Thread