HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

TJ Galiardi files for arbiration; avoids hearing, re-signed (post #88); $950k

Old
07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
OettingerCroat

vCash: 500
I'm happy to see him stick around SJ. Kid's got a lot of potential.

OettingerCroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
I really don't understand why this trade seems so popular around here. This would be a downgrade for SJ. Not to mention Clowe and Murray are the only two tough, consistently physical players we have.
Stuart is an ample replacement for Murray's toughness and physicality. If the Sharks manage to land Shane Doan, he more than replaces Ryane Clowe's physicality. T.J. Galiardi lays the hit pretty frequently too if he's in the lineup.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
I posted this in the main board thread, but thought I would post it here too: Galiardi is more skilled and has far higher potential than McGinn, but McGinn has the work ethic you would want out of a player like him. It's going to end up being a gamble, and a good one by Wilson IMO. McGinn's potential is still the type of player that is easily replaced; the same can't really be said for Galiardi. Galiardi has the potential to be a Ryan Kesler/Mike Richards type player, but he doesn't quite have the heart that McGinn does. Regardless, this trade can not simply be judged right now. We're going to have to wait a few years to see.
I don't think its heart because TJ showed that in spades against the Sharks in the playoffs...it seems to be confidence. He needs to get stronger physically too. McGinn is what he is and hes gone so its time to move on.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Stuart is an ample replacement for Murray's toughness and physicality. If the Sharks manage to land Shane Doan, he more than replaces Ryane Clowe's physicality. T.J. Galiardi lays the hit pretty frequently too if he's in the lineup.
I'd rather keep Clowe and Murray than trade them for Stafford and Leopold. Clowe and Murray had bad seasons last year so they are on everyones **** list but they are better players than they showed.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I'd rather keep Clowe and Murray than trade them for Stafford and Leopold. Clowe and Murray had bad seasons last year so they are on everyones **** list but they are better players than they showed.
I would take Stafford and Leopold personally. Leopold is a lefty who can move the puck which would be a bonus for us.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:04 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Murray has had a few bad seasons now, and was absolutely atrocious in the playoffs two years ago.

Clowe has always been streaky but his consistency has been trending downward further and further.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:40 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Murray has had a few bad seasons now, and was absolutely atrocious in the playoffs two years ago.

Clowe has always been streaky but his consistency has been trending downward further and further.
Oh geez... sorry pet peeve

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:54 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Oh geez... sorry pet peeve
What, that it wasn't grammatically correct using consistency with trending downward?

Clowe has become even more inconsistent, with longer stretches of bad play in between good ones each year. He is also far too predictable with the puck. Did I mention he is also slow and not very good defensively?

Edit: Shoot, I meant poor play and playing well, respectively.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:18 PM
OettingerCroat

Didn't realise the bloke represents Team USA... Cool

OettingerCroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post

If you think Clowe is streaky then you will love Stafford. Stafford has huge stretches of uninspired play and consistency issues as well.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
While Stuart is physical, he doesn't fight, and if we get Doan, I wouldn't want him fighting either.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:17 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
While Stuart is physical, he doesn't fight, and if we get Doan, I wouldn't want him fighting either.
Murray VERY rarely fights anymore either.

I really don't care a lot about fighting, lot of good it's done us in the past. Red Wings did fine without it too. We've got guys that can more than throw down in a serious situation.

My bet is Doug signs a bottom-6 tough guy and a depth tough-guy d-man too.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Murray's not even close to being a fighter.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Cool thread about TJ.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Murray and Stuart had the same amount of fights last year...1. And Clowe as a top six player shouldn't be fighting either but he does. Fighting in itself is overrated. It's a nice thing to have but it's not necessary if you're skilled enough. I actually wouldn't mind adding a top six player and moving Clowe down to the third line to maintain his physical presence up front and potentially carrying a third scoring line but keeping Murray is pointless.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:50 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Murray and Stuart had the same amount of fights last year...1. And Clowe as a top six player shouldn't be fighting either but he does. Fighting in itself is overrated. It's a nice thing to have but it's not necessary if you're skilled enough. I actually wouldn't mind adding a top six player and moving Clowe down to the third line to maintain his physical presence up front and potentially carrying a third scoring line but keeping Murray is pointless.
Didn't expect them to have the same # of fights, but its obvious that Murray is more feared than Stuart (so I'd say keep Murray as a bottom pair defenseman that can sometimes play with Boyle). Clowe did not show top six talent last season, so I agree moving him to the third line is a great idea.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Didn't expect them to have the same # of fights, but its obvious that Murray is more feared than Stuart (so I'd say keep Murray as a bottom pair defenseman that can sometimes play with Boyle). Clowe did not show top six talent last season, so I agree moving him to the third line is a great idea.
Actually, I'd say that Stuart is more feared right now as a hitter. Murray doesn't hit like he used to. He doesn't go for the big hit. He hasn't been standing up at the blue line much anymore. The only thing forwards shy away from is finishing a check on him when he has the puck. Nobody is really intimidated at the thought of going down his side because you can skate around him at this point. Stuart still has enough mobility and aggression to take someone out on occasion.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Actually, I'd say that Stuart is more feared right now as a hitter. Murray doesn't hit like he used to. He doesn't go for the big hit. He hasn't been standing up at the blue line much anymore. The only thing forwards shy away from is finishing a check on him when he has the puck. Nobody is really intimidated at the thought of going down his side because you can skate around him at this point. Stuart still has enough mobility and aggression to take someone out on occasion.
I think T.J. Oshie would say Douglas still goes for the big hit haha. What I noticed out of him last year was that he didn't step up in the neutral zone like he has done in previous years. The Sharks passive d-style is hopefully dead and buried.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I think T.J. Oshie would say Douglas still goes for the big hit haha. What I noticed out of him last year was that he didn't step up in the neutral zone like he has done in previous years. The Sharks passive d-style is hopefully dead and buried.
Hopefully, but I just don't see the need to keep both Murray and Stuart. Murray is a great guy and I want to see him do well like everyone else on the team. But players have been skating around Murray a lot last year...maybe that was injury-induced or maybe he's starting to slow down but that doesn't happen as frequently to Stuart from what I've seen and he's a lot more willing to step up regardless of the zone.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Hopefully, but I just don't see the need to keep both Murray and Stuart. Murray is a great guy and I want to see him do well like everyone else on the team. But players have been skating around Murray a lot last year...maybe that was injury-induced or maybe he's starting to slow down but that doesn't happen as frequently to Stuart from what I've seen and he's a lot more willing to step up regardless of the zone.
even if it was just injury-induced, within the next year or 2 anyways murray's size and already slow foot speed will start to diminish, and it won't be pretty. the sharks already know what happens when a slow skater already starts to lose the little bit of speed they had before (cheechoo)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:20 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637791

Sharks (finally) make it official.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Plowevelski
:-)) Torres Fan Club

Quote:
If you think Clowe is streaky then you will love Stafford. Stafford has huge stretches of uninspired play and consistency issues as well.
Eww. Even thinking about a Clowe for Stafford swap..

Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:19 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
^^^ Hahaha. Is that Boole?

First 75% of last season, Tatanka would have traded Stafford for Dunbar's hat. Ridiculous how undervalued Clowe is getting here.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote