Backstrom/Harding/Hackett

Old
07-14-2012, 05:12 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Ummmm...they all let crap get in their heads. That's why they're goalies. Any guy who chooses a job where every mistake results with a red light going on behind him and the negative reaction of 18,000 or more people has got to be crazy. It doesn't take much to mess with their heads. Wasn't it Manny who use to avoid cracks in the street when walking to the arena? And Backstrom....he gets crap in his head if anyone interrupts his pre-game shuffle.
This is all in relative terms here though. BY GOALIE STANDARDS some don't get rattled... ever... see Brodeur... others let the littlest thing get into their head and get them off their game... see Luongo.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:13 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
This is all in relative terms here though. BY GOALIE STANDARDS some don't get rattled... ever... see Brodeur... others let the littlest thing get into their head and get them off their game... see Luongo.
Makes ya wonder what got into Cloutier's head.

NHL1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:16 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Makes ya wonder what got into Cloutier's head.
He never got over the beach ball memes...

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Aapo

Quote:
Dunno, I keep hearing that he can be rattled... I'm not a fan of goalies that let crap get in their head.
Where did you hear this? It's news to me...

Aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Quicy

I think that losing Backstrom after this year wouldn't be as good as some are saying. You can't just assume a talented prospect goalie will pan out in the NHL, there is a lot of grooming that needs to be done and it takes a special person to handle the NHL nets at a young age.

Quicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicy View Post
I think that losing Backstrom after this year wouldn't be as good as some are saying. You can't just assume a talented prospect goalie will pan out in the NHL, there is a lot of grooming that needs to be done and it takes a special person to handle the NHL nets at a young age.
That's why they gave Harding a 3 year deal.

The Wild are set up for a perfect goaltending transition.

Next season: Backs/Harding (1a/1b)
Season 13-14: Harding/Hackett
14-15: Hacket/Kuemper/Gustofson (Harding is traded in the offseason if hacket is ready, if not he will be retained for the final year of the deal.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:43 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

i have a sneaking suspicion that Harding is here until he retires. he'll take a discount to stick around, even if Hackett turns out to be the starter.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:01 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
i have a sneaking suspicion that Harding is here until he retires. he'll take a discount to stick around, even if Hackett turns out to be the starter.

This

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

I'm pretty sure we could get Bäcks with something like 3 mil cap hit. I'm all for that, but if its over 4 mil, ouch.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I'd be very ok with this. Harding seems to love it here... and if he's willing to be a reasonably priced backup for his career that'd be awesome.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
I'm pretty sure we could get Bäcks with something like 3 mil cap hit. I'm all for that, but if its over 4 mil, ouch.
Despite his loyalty to the team, I don't see him taking a 3M pay-cut when his play hasn't noticeably declined. I could see Fletcher signing him for anywhere between 4-4.5M.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Despite his loyalty to the team, I don't see him taking a 3M pay-cut when his play hasn't noticeably declined. I could see Fletcher signing him for anywhere between 4-4.5M.
I would concur with this one. He may take a discount to stay here with some of his finnish teammates, but I don't see him staying for 50% decrease in pay....

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:55 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
let me be first to go on record as being uncomfortable with a Harding Hackett tandem.
x2.

I like Harding but he just is not consistent enough, and the only thing that is consistent at this point with him is that he is not consistent

I like Hacket, but he is 2-3 years from being able to be reliable enough for full time duty. Even then it is still an if.

backs is not that bad. Over paid yes, but not that bad.

It's not his fault DR had his head up his butt and gave him that silly contract.

backs would be worth ideally 3.5 but prob ~4. Let's not forget that he really was pretty damned good last year for a few extended periods. He just gets a little worn out.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
He never got over the beach ball memes...

The Luon** jokes are hilarous, but i mss that guy too!

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Backs has a solid, calming presence that somewhat exceeds his skills. I like the guy a lot, but I really don't see going to Harding as #1 as a step backwards. I haven't sen enough of Hackett to be able to compare, but I think one of Hackett, Kuemper, Gustafsson will end up being better than either.

Not worried.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:00 PM
wildfan1833
Rookie User

Here's my take on it. They let Gabby walk and Rolston walk and got nothing for them. They have learned there lesson not to let players walk. I would like to see them trade him and get something for him as I don't see him wanting to stay here for less money. He good but I think it's time we let harding run with it.

wildfan1833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:00 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
Backs gets a bad rap mainly for his contract and not his play. He is a good goaltender, just overpaid to the point where we expect a lot from him.

I'd be okay with 3.5-4 million.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfan1833 View Post
Here's my take on it. They let Gabby walk and Rolston walk and got nothing for them. They have learned there lesson not to let players walk. I would like to see them trade him and get something for him as I don't see him wanting to stay here for less money. He good but I think it's time we let harding run with it.
There's no lesson to be had. Players hit free agency all the time. In fact, if a team is good, they necessarily need to allow their expiring free agents to walk. All the bizarro concern about not letting anyone hit free agency without getting anything in return is just so over the top and silly. Backs is worth so much more to the team than he is worth in trade. This team isn't a seller anymore, we need to stop acting like one.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
We're speaking about a completely different front office here.

Bäcks might take a hefty pay cut if we go deep into the playoffs and his wife and newborn are well enough rooted in Minnesota.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:35 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
You don't trade a key piece of the team when you're vying for NW Division championship. I don't get how the general masses don't understand that. If we were a bottom dweller, then yes trade the guy away but we were on top of the division. You don't trade away Dmitra or Rolston in that situation.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:11 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

I'm thinking Backs might leave after this year I don't know, maybe go play out his final few years for contenders. He's still going to be a good goalie, but might want a guaranteed shot at a cup somewhere else. Harding looks to take the reins anytime now, while Hackett's development looks to be handled greatly.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Backstrom is loyal to this team and doesn't want to play for anyone else right now. He's our Selanne. He might sign with another team but it's only going to be after we refuse to re-sign him, not before.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
I'm thinking Backs might leave after this year I don't know, maybe go play out his final few years for contenders. He's still going to be a good goalie, but might want a guaranteed shot at a cup somewhere else. Harding looks to take the reins anytime now, while Hackett's development looks to be handled greatly.
Ummm... aren't we hoping that's kind of where our team will be?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Sportserie

Yes that's what I think... I could see Backstrom very excited Parise and Suter were signed... more goal scoring and better defense. He might want to stay right here, even taking less, because the Wild could very well be heading for a strong Cup run. Anything can happen once you get in the playoffs so a Cup possibility could be very soon, especially with strong goaltending and good coaching... we have both, and LA is an example of how you can get very good very quickly. Backstrom might want to be a part of that.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:03 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
Yes that's what I think... I could see Backstrom very excited Parise and Suter were signed... more goal scoring and better defense. He might want to stay right here, even taking less, because the Wild could very well be heading for a strong Cup run. Anything can happen once you get in the playoffs so a Cup possibility could be very soon, especially with strong goaltending and good coaching... we have both, and LA is an example of how you can get very good very quickly. Backstrom might want to be a part of that.
I understand the "anything can happen" mentality, but looking at LA as an #8 seed is just absurd. Yes, technically they were an 8, but they were easily the most stacked #8 of all time. They were much much better than we are currently.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote