HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Kayla Blackmore

Old
05-30-2012, 06:55 AM
gleanerguy

vCash: 500
Kayla Blackmore

21-year-old St. Thomas women's hockey player needs your support for a scholarship she's seeking to continue her education/hockey career. Hard working, dedicated, talented, and she gives back. Story in Tuesday's newspaper sums her up. Go to her facebook page and click like.

http://www.facebook.com/KaylaBlackmo...eteScholarship

Blackmore shoots for scholarship By BILL HUNT
hunt.bill@dailygleaner.com
28 May 2012 11:40PM
You’ve really got to like Kayla Blackmore.

Really.

And if you were to go to Facebook(http://www.facebook.com/KaylaBlackmo...eteScholarship) you could help the 21-year-old Fredericton native secure a $5,000 scholarship and $5,000 in product from the sports supplement company that will underwrite the cost of her tuition and books as she pursues an education degree — and an Atlantic University Sport women’s hockey championship — at St. Thomas University.

Four are available — one male and one female from Canadian Interuniversity Sport, one each in the NCAA — so competition is pretty stiff. But the five-foot-one centre is used to that.

And honestly, what’s not to like about a young woman who is the captain and leading scorer on her team — sixth overall in the AUS last season with 16 goals and 14 assists — and won the league’s award for community service this past season and calls accepting the award “one of the proudest moments of my athletic career.”

It’s already been an accomplished one: she played all seven available sports as a middle school athlete at George Street Middle School, spent a year at Kents Hill Prep School in Maine before returning to Fredericton High School, where she starred with the AAA girls hockey team. She’s carried on to St. Thomas, where she’s been an academic all-Canadian all four years in achieving her degree in history, and been a coach and a high performance athlete throughout.

It’s all summarized rather nicely on the Facebook page with accompanying four-minute video which demonstrates her skill and work ethic.

“It’s kind of a shot in the dark,” said Blackmore of her application. “With everybody in North America being able to apply, it’s kind of open to everybody. But I just kind of put an application in to see how much support we could rally.”

It’s at 455 Likes and counting as this is written, with a June 13 deadline. Her video is also on YouTube.

“I kind of went into it as kind a shot in the dark thinking there’s not much chance of winning,” she said. “But I think the best part of it, whether I win or not, is the support ... it’s been overwhelming almost. That’s probably been the best aspect of the whole thing.”

Another STU athlete, rugby player Hallie Mazurkiewicz, has also applied. The two are friends and both are accepted into the education program at STU next year.

“She’s a phenomenal athlete and an incredible ambassador for student athletes,” Blackmore said. “If either one of us wins, it’s going to be great for St. Thomas athletics.”

As far as coach Peter Murphy is concerned, Blackmore is a great candidate.

“She’s always been a very, very good student,” he said. “She came in on an academic scholarship. She’s a very good kid and comes from a very nice family. I was impressed with her the minute she set foot on campus. She’s absolutely driven, and she’s had that in her from Day 1. I saw her as one of those players you could build a team around. She’s one of those players. Great kid. A great kid.”

“Any coach I’ve ever had has always taught me to aspire to be that well-rounded athlete,” she said. “I’ve always enjoyed working with young kids in the community. Every day, I want to go out and make a difference in the community. That award was just kind of the cherry on top.”

Blackmore has been an assistant coach with the provincial U15 and U17 women’s hockey programs and coached in the V-Reds Prospects program for the past three seasons. Blackmore credits her parents, Brent and Lise, for instilling good values early.

“A big factor in my staying at STU was having my parents around,” she said. “They’re such a good influence on my life. They’re always pushing me to push myself to be a better person. They instilled the values of working hard and being honest. My parents have done it themselves and they’re great examples for me to follow. And in sports, you’re given such opportunities that all you want to do is give back and provide those opportunities for other kids. That’s kind of been my inspiration.”

Her education degree will allow her to combine two of her passions, teaching and coaching. When she does, Murphy believes she’ll be “in great demand. She might have to go a little farther away than she’s comfortable with for the first couple of years, but at some point, she’ll be able to do basically what she wants. I have no doubt that whatever she sets her mind to long term, she’ll be successful.”

First things first. She’ll play her fifth season with the Tommies in the spanking new Grant•Harvey Centre when the Tommies take up residence there in the fall.

“Our goal next year is to get that banner and bring it home to the new rink,” she said. Long range, her goal is to combine teaching and coaching.

“Being a coach and being a teacher at some sort of boarding school or hockey academy has been my dream since I was 13,” she said. “It’s been something I’ve been striving toward. There are tons of female programs that are just establishing themselves now, all across Canada and the United States. I guess we’ll see what kind of opportunities pop up next spring.”

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:22 AM
STUTOMMIES

Awesome gleanerguy, good thinking!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
21-year-old St. Thomas women's hockey player needs your support for a scholarship she's seeking to continue her education/hockey career. Hard working, dedicated, talented, and she gives back. Story in Tuesday's newspaper sums her up. Go to her facebook page and click like.

Blackmore shoots for scholarship By BILL HUNT
hunt.bill@dailygleaner.com
28 May 2012 11:40PM
You’ve really got to like Kayla Blackmore.

Really.

And if you were to go to Facebook(http://www.facebook.com/KaylaBlackmo...eteScholarship) you could help the 21-year-old Fredericton native secure a $5,000 scholarship and $5,000 in product from the sports supplement company that will underwrite the cost of her tuition and books as she pursues an education degree — and an Atlantic University Sport women’s hockey championship — at St. Thomas University.

Four are available — one male and one female from Canadian Interuniversity Sport, one each in the NCAA — so competition is pretty stiff. But the five-foot-one centre is used to that.

And honestly, what’s not to like about a young woman who is the captain and leading scorer on her team — sixth overall in the AUS last season with 16 goals and 14 assists — and won the league’s award for community service this past season and calls accepting the award “one of the proudest moments of my athletic career.”

It’s already been an accomplished one: she played all seven available sports as a middle school athlete at George Street Middle School, spent a year at Kents Hill Prep School in Maine before returning to Fredericton High School, where she starred with the AAA girls hockey team. She’s carried on to St. Thomas, where she’s been an academic all-Canadian all four years in achieving her degree in history, and been a coach and a high performance athlete throughout.

It’s all summarized rather nicely on the Facebook page with accompanying four-minute video which demonstrates her skill and work ethic.

“It’s kind of a shot in the dark,” said Blackmore of her application. “With everybody in North America being able to apply, it’s kind of open to everybody. But I just kind of put an application in to see how much support we could rally.”

It’s at 455 Likes and counting as this is written, with a June 13 deadline. Her video is also on YouTube.

“I kind of went into it as kind a shot in the dark thinking there’s not much chance of winning,” she said. “But I think the best part of it, whether I win or not, is the support ... it’s been overwhelming almost. That’s probably been the best aspect of the whole thing.”

Another STU athlete, rugby player Hallie Mazurkiewicz, has also applied. The two are friends and both are accepted into the education program at STU next year.

“She’s a phenomenal athlete and an incredible ambassador for student athletes,” Blackmore said. “If either one of us wins, it’s going to be great for St. Thomas athletics.”

As far as coach Peter Murphy is concerned, Blackmore is a great candidate.

“She’s always been a very, very good student,” he said. “She came in on an academic scholarship. She’s a very good kid and comes from a very nice family. I was impressed with her the minute she set foot on campus. She’s absolutely driven, and she’s had that in her from Day 1. I saw her as one of those players you could build a team around. She’s one of those players. Great kid. A great kid.”

“Any coach I’ve ever had has always taught me to aspire to be that well-rounded athlete,” she said. “I’ve always enjoyed working with young kids in the community. Every day, I want to go out and make a difference in the community. That award was just kind of the cherry on top.”

Blackmore has been an assistant coach with the provincial U15 and U17 women’s hockey programs and coached in the V-Reds Prospects program for the past three seasons. Blackmore credits her parents, Brent and Lise, for instilling good values early.

“A big factor in my staying at STU was having my parents around,” she said. “They’re such a good influence on my life. They’re always pushing me to push myself to be a better person. They instilled the values of working hard and being honest. My parents have done it themselves and they’re great examples for me to follow. And in sports, you’re given such opportunities that all you want to do is give back and provide those opportunities for other kids. That’s kind of been my inspiration.”

Her education degree will allow her to combine two of her passions, teaching and coaching. When she does, Murphy believes she’ll be “in great demand. She might have to go a little farther away than she’s comfortable with for the first couple of years, but at some point, she’ll be able to do basically what she wants. I have no doubt that whatever she sets her mind to long term, she’ll be successful.”

First things first. She’ll play her fifth season with the Tommies in the spanking new Grant•Harvey Centre when the Tommies take up residence there in the fall.

“Our goal next year is to get that banner and bring it home to the new rink,” she said. Long range, her goal is to combine teaching and coaching.

“Being a coach and being a teacher at some sort of boarding school or hockey academy has been my dream since I was 13,” she said. “It’s been something I’ve been striving toward. There are tons of female programs that are just establishing themselves now, all across Canada and the United States. I guess we’ll see what kind of opportunities pop up next spring.”

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:47 AM
gleanerguy

Just another plug for Miss Blackmore...I'm not related, I'm not a STU alum; I always said I don't care about the colour of the laundry in the UNB/STU stuff...just want good kids to get what they deserve.
Kayla Blackmore is a good kid. To that end, with the June 13 deadline looming...

Last edited by gleanerguy: 06-11-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: error in original link
Old
07-12-2012, 09:26 PM
gleanerguy

She won it! Very deserving...classy young woman, good player, good person.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:06 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Awesome news...congratulations to her.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote