HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL vs. NHLPA: Battler of the CBA

Old
07-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
NHL vs. NHLPA: Battler of the CBA

NHL fires the first shot:

Quote:
Renaud P Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS

NHL proposal to players: 1-reduce players hockey related revenues to 46% from 57 %. 2-10 seasons in NHL before being UFA.
Quote:
Renaud P Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS

3-contracts limites to 5 years 4-no more salary arbitration. 5- entry-level contract 5 years instead of 3.
https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS

Looks like it could be a very long summer...

Might as well ask for everything with your first shot.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:45 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I think that's how you do it though. Ask for the farm early, and then things get negotiated down.

They'll probably meet somewhere in the middle on the revenue split, 51-52% for the players. Number 2 isn't happening. With number 3 I expect their to be a limit, but more like 7 or 8 years. Number 4 isn't happening and I think 3 year ELCs are fine, but I could see that changing.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Pros and cons of proposal #2?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

No way the players ever agree to proposition no. 2.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
bobafettish*

2,3,5 dont see happening.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:57 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Why don't they just ask for permission to have sex with the player wives?

Jeez!

But as other said. You ask for the moon and work your way back to down to earth.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Per Twitter:

Quote:
Mark Whicker ‏@MWhickerOCR Kings heard about NHL owners' proposal, decided to let each player keep the Cup for a month

Old
07-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Yup. Aim high come back down on it. Maybe they will find something in the form of a compromise based on those.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Relax people. It's a negotiation tactic. They established what they want. Now the PA can counter it. No need to panic yet.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:11 AM
tsanuri

The real question is how close to this items do the owners really want to be.
I think anyone that has ever done any negotiating knows you ask for more than you want. But sometimes you come in close others times you shoot for the moon. And none of us know which one this was.
I really hope this was a shoot the moon because if it wasn't we are all going to have a very long wait to see a banner raised in Staples Center.
I can see where number 5 could happen as a concession since rookies are not in the league and therefore can get thrown under the bus without much problem. And that could be used as a big concession by the players to get the owners to budge on something they want. But the other 4 are just crazy. And number 3 is the owners trying to save them from themselves. Nobody forced them into these long term deals but agents or GMs, at the owners behest, started offering them and they were signed. Number 2 because it says 10 years NHL service they just don't want most players to ever be RFAs in their prime. Since most players don't play until they are 20 or more.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Yeah, its a moon shot.

Very apt description.

Old
07-14-2012, 01:40 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Relax people. It's a negotiation tactic. They established what they want. Now the PA can counter it. No need to panic yet.
Well they have another month and half to get this done. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling too confident right now. I wish they would have started these negotiations a lot sooner.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:57 AM
rick3652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
NHL fires the first shot:

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS

Looks like it could be a very long summer...

Might as well ask for everything with your first shot.
What you do is throw in a few items that you can give up like 2,3,4,5

they want the players to take 46% so now they can give back 2,3,4,5 and get around 49% and everyone will be happy.

Even after 49% the players will be making a lot of money. Cap the contracts at 5 years that is enough. The players will go to 8 years instead or 7. ELC may stay the same or go to 4 years MAX.

What you want to guess is what the players will go back with.

1. Players will ask for 55% will take 51%
2. 7 years max contracts but will take 5 at the end
3. 7 years till UFA they will keep this like this and give up late to 8 years
4. will stay the same always they will never give this up
5. ELC stays 3 they could go to 4 late

so after talking for a long time here is what it will be

1. players get 51% then 52% going up 1% each year
2. 5 years contract MAX
3. 8 years till UFA
4. this will always stay the same
5. 4 years ELC

rick3652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Mr Writer

believe me, fans are not going to like the 5 year max contract. Just think about, you think Sid accepts less than market on a 5 year contract? No, he does not!!! Sid and every other Elite of the Elite player would demand max dollars on every contract they negotiate. There will be no, "I'll take less than market value 10 years from now for up-front money now." It will be max dollars every contract and Sid's cap hit would be this year 9.5-11 million &&&&....
and once that contract plays out and the Penguins are up against the cap, what do you think Sid is going to do? He's going to UFA to get another Max $$$$ contract.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
MsWoof

I wonder if they'll grandfather current contracts in.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:51 AM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I wonder if they'll grandfather current contracts in.
It would be impossible for them not to.

If the cap changes then they will probably just do salary rollbacks like they did last time.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I don't remember from the last lockout/lost season, did the contracts roll to the next season or did everyone lose a year on their contract? If there isn't a season, would Gagne and Penner be UFA on July 1st, 2013?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:48 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
believe me, fans are not going to like the 5 year max contract. Just think about, you think Sid accepts less than market on a 5 year contract? No, he does not!!! Sid and every other Elite of the Elite player would demand max dollars on every contract they negotiate. There will be no, "I'll take less than market value 10 years from now for up-front money now." It will be max dollars every contract and Sid's cap hit would be this year 9.5-11 million &&&&....
and once that contract plays out and the Penguins are up against the cap, what do you think Sid is going to do? He's going to UFA to get another Max $$$$ contract.
Lol atleast offseason would be more entertaining.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:01 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

It's how you haggle bros... Calm down.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:49 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
It would be impossible for them not to.

If the cap changes then they will probably just do salary rollbacks like they did last time.
I really doubt that there will be another rollback of salaries. The players gave the owners everything they wanted last time but I suspect they will not go that far. I can see it where only a percentage of the salary counts against the cap for contracts that are already in effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I don't remember from the last lockout/lost season, did the contracts roll to the next season or did everyone lose a year on their contract? If there isn't a season, would Gagne and Penner be UFA on July 1st, 2013?
A year was lost. So if for some reason we lose a season we will also lose our complete team trying for the repeat.

Old
07-14-2012, 02:20 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Gee, you mean there would actually be a hard cap where cap circumvention could not take place? The big names would get the big

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:48 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I think it's funny how their is such a wide range of opinions on this among the media. Matthew Barry seems to think a work stoppage is a forgone conclusion, while others, like Bob McKenzie are taking a "wait and see" approach.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:55 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Another lockout would be bad for the league. However I wouldn't mind if it lasted a month or two MAX as imo it would benefit the Kings in terms of getting rest after the Cup run.

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:14 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Another lockout would be bad for the league. However I wouldn't mind if it lasted a month or two MAX as imo it would benefit the Kings in terms of getting rest after the Cup run.
It didn't help either TB or Calgary after the last lockout and that was the whole season. They both made it back to the playoffs but one as an 8 seed the other as a 7. And don't think that the partying will stop if they get locked out or strike. They will party until they are in camp. So any delay really gives the greater likelihood that players would come back out of shape. Do we really want to think about more players in the shape of Doughty at the start of this last season.

Old
07-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I think it's funny how their is such a wide range of opinions on this among the media. Matthew Barry seems to think a work stoppage is a forgone conclusion, while others, like Bob McKenzie are taking a "wait and see" approach.
Can Matt Barry really be considered part of the hockey media circle? He's always reactionary. Either way, those who are already panicking probably have never been involved in any form of negotiations. What's the first rule of thumb when you negotiate for a higher salary? You aim high, then come down from it to a happy medium that you are willing to accept.

That is the exact strategy being demonstrated with the NHL's offer. They know and I hope most people covering hockey know that the PA isn't going to accept the first offer. It's a starting point that makes clear what the league is interested in pursuing. Now we wait to see how the PA counters and what they're seeking when they make their counter offer.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote