HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion for all prospects including Adirondack Phantoms (AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Its to help protect the younger developing prospects in the AHL.

If you take the time to look at the AHL teams around the league there are some former NHL goons and minor league goons in most lineups.
How does it help protect them? Did having Rinaldo protect Giroux and Couturier from having their heads targeted in the playoffs?

Goons aren't afraid to fight other goons. They aren't going to stop doing what they do because they might have to answer the bell. Fighting is their job.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
How does it help protect them? Did having Rinaldo protect Giroux and Couturier from having their heads targeted in the playoffs?

Goons aren't afraid to fight other goons. They aren't going to stop doing what they do because they might have to answer the bell. Fighting is their job.
Keeps the coach honest. You can't massacre a guy like akeson without retaliation. It's a preventative measure, but it's not 100%. Especially in the playoffs. Seriously, who's afraid of Rinaldo?

Old
07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:

Are you kidding right? When you understand what type of player Rinaldo is then you can ask me the proper question.

This is why a bunch of NHL teams employ a set of fighters/tough players in the AHL.

Yeah goons are just going to fight goons. The AHL league doesn't have the same respect factor as the NHL league in terms of the "code".

There are a bunch of minor league goons from other lower leagues playing in the AHL that run around a bunch. Guys who will never make it to the NHL.

Last edited by Alchemy: 07-12-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old
07-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Are you kidding right? When you understand what type of player Rinaldo is then you can ask me the proper question.

This is why a bunch of NHL teams employ a set of fighters/tough players in the AHL.

Yeah goons are just going to fight goons. The AHL league doesn't have the same respect factor as the NHL league in terms of the "code".

There are a bunch of minor league goons from other lower leagues playing in the AHL that run around a bunch. Guys who will never make it to the NHL.
Jesus poor goalie haha

Old
07-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Psuhockey

Here is an interview with a prior coach of Reese Wilcox, the Flyers 5th Rd pick.

http://insidehockey.com/centennials-...n-reece-wilcox

I really like that the Flyers chose a couple of NCAA defensemen. It gives these guys a few extra years to develop.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

Do you watch AHL games? It's full of has-beens that have nothing else left but to wail on young players. Some of the teams in the league are disgraceful.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Qubax

Are you folks high on Hovinen?

Any idea when and if he'd come over...?

could he step in maybe not next year but the year after as a backup/other option beyond Bryz?

Cheers

Last edited by Qubax: 07-13-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 03:59 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Are you folks high on Hoivinen?

could he step in maybe not next year but the year after as a backup/other option beyond Bryz?

Cheers
I think the plan is to have him in the AHL this year.
(can someone confirm?)
I think our fan base is pretty excited for the big guy!

Old
07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Do you watch AHL games? It's full of has-beens that have nothing else left but to wail on young players. Some of the teams in the league are disgraceful.
I understand what the AHL is. I just don't buy that goons are a deterrent. I don't think anyone fears a fight especially other goons that are paid to do just that.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
I think the plan is to have him in the AHL this year.
(can someone confirm?)
I think our fan base is pretty excited for the big guy!
I don't remember if it was Pryor or Homer but one of the two said that the Phantoms were planned to be Hovinen and Heeter

Old
07-13-2012, 04:45 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

Cheers
I'm hoping he can replace Leighton. That is based on nothing other than hating Leighton with a hatred to deep I can taste it.

Our goal seems to be to get huge goalies. Hovinen- huge, Heeter- huge, Stollie- huge. Even the 2 invitees this year at prospects camp are big.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
I understand what the AHL is. I just don't buy that goons are a deterrent. I don't think anyone fears a fight especially other goons that are paid to do just that.
It quite clearly does work in the AHL. You don't have players running star young players, because the goons aren't held accountable as they are in the NHL.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Larry44

Quote:

Cheers
I thought they said he was coming over this year to play in the AHL with Heeter.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I thought they said he was coming over this year to play in the AHL with Heeter.
You are correct. He has come over.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:44 AM
mirimon

I know nothing about this Heeter kid, but wouldn't he be better served being the starter in the ECHL rather than backing up Hovinen? If so, I wouldn't mind if we offered an AHL contract to Niittymäki (I doubt he'll receive an NHL offer from anyone at this point), and hopefully he can get his career back on track again, like Boucher did some five years ago, while mentoring Hovinen during his first year in NA. Being in a 1A/1B situation wouldn't be the worst thing his first year, perhaps.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:40 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I know nothing about this Heeter kid, but wouldn't he be better served being the starter in the ECHL rather than backing up Hovinen? If so, I wouldn't mind if we offered an AHL contract to Niittymäki (I doubt he'll receive an NHL offer from anyone at this point), and hopefully he can get his career back on track again, like Boucher did some five years ago, while mentoring Hovinen during his first year in NA. Being in a 1A/1B situation wouldn't be the worst thing his first year, perhaps.
i could get behind this. I think Nitty would of been a pretty good goalie in this league if he didn't struggle to stay healthy. Hovinen would learn a bunch from him about the NA game imo. Plus the Phantoms could use a strong tandem in net.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:50 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

So assuming o more changes what will the Phantoms look like this year? If all of Sesito, Wellwood, MAB and Rinaldo stay on the Flyers roster would something like this be about right.

Harry Z, Holmstrom , Ford
Roe, Brown, Akeson
McGinn, Johnston, Testwuide
Mangene, Noebels, Harper
Fitzgerald
Pither

Syvret, Manning
Gustafsson, Kessel
Laurisden, Konan
Walker
Eddy
Hostetter

Hovinen
Heeter

Old
07-27-2012, 10:03 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
i could get behind this. I think Nitty would of been a pretty good goalie in this league if he didn't struggle to stay healthy. Hovinen would learn a bunch from him about the NA game imo. Plus the Phantoms could use a strong tandem in net.
I actually own a Niity jersey believe it or not so I would be very happy even if he's only here to help out a fellow Fin in Hovinen.

It's a sham he can't stay healthy though. At one point I considered him the best back-up in h league.

Old
07-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
So assuming o more changes what will the Phantoms look like this year? If all of Sesito, Wellwood, MAB and Rinaldo stay on the Flyers roster would something like this be about right.

Roe, Brown, Akeson
Mangene, Noebels, Harper
Fitzgerald
Pither

Syvret, Manning
Gustafsson, Kessel
Laurisden, Konan
Walker
Eddy
Hostetter

Hovinen
Heeter
I expect Noebels to play in the top6. He will go his way. I think we will see him on the flyers in two years! Gustaffson will play for flyers.

Old
07-28-2012, 07:58 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Unless MAB becomes super better real soon i cant see him making the Flyers in the beginning. He is still having concussion problems and hasnt practiced at all so far this offseason.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:19 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Gus is waiver exempt and MAB isn't. Thats the only reason I have Gus on the Phantoms and MAB on the Flyers. I imagine the first callup will be Gus and the second to be Manning

Old
07-28-2012, 10:34 AM
dats81

Quote:

Roe, Brown, Akeson
Mangene, Noebels, Harper
Fitzgerald
Pither

Syvret, Manning
Gustafsson, Kessel
Laurisden, Konan
Walker
Eddy
Hostetter

Hovinen
Heeter
Coaches love Cullen Eddy - he will play.
Also Nöbels will climb up the latter from 4th line center rather quickly, I assume.

Not ruled out that Gus makes the team out of camp - waiver exempt or not, if he plays responsibly like in the playoffs and moves the puck well.

Last edited by dats81: 07-28-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old
07-28-2012, 12:30 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Who was Akesons center last year? I wonder if Noebels would be a good fit for him.

Old
07-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Who was Akesons center last year? I wonder if Noebels would be a good fit for him.
As far as I know, Noebels is a left wing.

Old
07-28-2012, 04:04 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
As far as I know, Noebels is a left wing.
Yes. And Akeson played center at the prospect camp FWIW.

Closed Thread