Ducks sign Lindholm to 3-year ELC

Old
07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Thought I'd share a Swedish interview with you guys: http://hd.se/sport/2012/07/13/lindho...-nhl-kontrakt/

About going overseas:

If he's ready:

It also has comments from the general manager saying that they'll be looking for a new defenseman, but at the same time are very happy for Hampus.

Interpret the quotes as you like, maybe he has indicated he's willing to spend time in the AHL if he doesn't crack the NHL. There's not a single mention of him returning to Rögle.
Norfolk fans would be absolutely spoiled to see a Lindholm-Vatanen pairing.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Very interesting to hear. I didn't think AHL over SEL would be much of an option, mainly for him. There would be quite a bit of upside in this, though, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Norfolk fans would be absolutely spoiled to see a Lindholm-Vatanen pairing.
Yeah, that would have to be fun. Although my hypothetical salivating over that at some point was stopped thinking one of those guys would probably be paired with Clark and the other with Guenin, so that they both can play their offense as much as they feel is right, and not just whenever the other guy's not up there.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Eddie Shack
The doctor is in!

Looks like I'm going to have to spring $5 for at least one early preseason game.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Sirquacksalot
ˇViva Los Patos!

I think I bought a Hampus from IKEA once. I thought it was a hamper.

It was an Ottoman. Of course I thought the Sultan Floorvag was the Ottoman (because of the sultan thing), but that was a thin mattress.

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:14 PM
James Franco

Norfolk's defense is looking pretty solid right now:

Clark-Vatanen
Guenin-Lindholm
Hendry-Smaby

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
Would the AHL or SEL be better for him developmentally?

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Overall, SEL.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:27 AM
furball411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
Overall, SEL.
Either league works fine.... The AHL would help him beef up, but being a leader in the SEL would help.

furball411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
I think I bought a Hampus from IKEA once. I thought it was a hamper.

It was an Ottoman. Of course I thought the Sultan Floorvag was the Ottoman (because of the sultan thing), but that was a thin mattress.
Best post in the thread, hands down.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball411 View Post
Either league works fine.... The AHL would help him beef up, but being a leader in the SEL would help.
He also would get to make that adjustment to the NA game right away, which could be good for his development to do it at an early age. And the Ducks could have more input and track his development better. I'd say the SEL might be better for a year, but I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:44 AM
SwedenCanada

Quote:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson never played in the SEL, he played 15 AHL games. He turned out pretty well. So I guess it's individually.

SwedenCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:57 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think that this is a tough question. In AHL he could learn to play hockey NHL -style but in SEL he could play against men instead of youngsters. Although SEL isn't as physical league as AHL is... Great if he goes to America straight away, hopefully it turns out well.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
Love it, just hope he won't be rushed, IMO one more year in the SEL would have been better. Anybody thinks that the Schultz saga have something to do with this immediate signing?

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:52 AM
helicecopter

bah, 1 year in the SEL logging top minutes was a perfect scenario and the easy one too... this sounds like looking for troubles (and with Fowler,Sbisa,Allen,Lydman,Souray,Beau,Vatanen it doesn't make sense to me).

Then again, i like Hampus so much that i think he will turn out well even taking a premature path.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedenCanada View Post
Oliver Ekman-Larsson never played in the SEL, he played 15 AHL games. He turned out pretty well. So I guess it's individually.
Voinov also went the AHL route over playing in Juniors. It worked out well there, too.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Eddie Shack
The doctor is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
Love it, just hope he won't be rushed, IMO one more year in the SEL would have been better. Anybody thinks that the Schultz saga have something to do with this immediate signing?
I really don't think Schultz had anything to do with the signing. Although I'm not in a hurry to rush him I really think it was management being impressed with him at rookie camp. They obviously saw more in him than the scouts had led them to believe. I think maybe when they saw how close he was to being NHL ready they decided they wanted to get him to NA which could mean learning the Ducks' system in Norfolk...or not.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Hockey Duckie

I would have preferred Lindholm continued his development in the SEL with his own defensive coach. But I suppose his talent made the Ducks org, "an offer they could not refuse" in trying to bring in Lindholm as soon as possible. Considering that there is no room in the line up without Lindholm:

Beauch-Fowler
Sbisa-Souray
Allen-Lydman,

it just spells how good Lindholm truly is to force a roster spot. The question is, why? I didn't see a real need to bring him over now with Allen and Souray signed. And if Lydman isn't back to full healthy, then Vatanen could have jumped in from the AHL ranks. The org is also burning one year of his ELC if Lindholm's just gonna stay in the AHL; playing in the SEL with the team he brought up into the SEL and his own defensive coach for a year free of Ducks' expense with an already filled defensive line-up seemed almost like a no-brainer to leave Lindholm behind in Rogle.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:16 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

He would actually have to play (9) NHL-games to burn off a year on his ELC, if I'm not totally mistaken.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Theridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
I would have preferred Lindholm continued his development in the SEL with his own defensive coach. But I suppose his talent made the Ducks org, "an offer they could not refuse" in trying to bring in Lindholm as soon as possible. Considering that there is no room in the line up without Lindholm:

Beauch-Fowler
Sbisa-Souray
Allen-Lydman,

it just spells how good Lindholm truly is to force a roster spot. The question is, why? I didn't see a real need to bring him over now with Allen and Souray signed. And if Lydman isn't back to full healthy, then Vatanen could have jumped in from the AHL ranks. The org is also burning one year of his ELC if Lindholm's just gonna stay in the AHL; playing in the SEL with the team he brought up into the SEL and his own defensive coach for a year free of Ducks' expense with an already filled defensive line-up seemed almost like a no-brainer to leave Lindholm behind in Rogle.
We are going to have injuries. We are going to have call ups. If lindholm forces a move before the season or during, then that is ideal.

A kid coming in, and playing well and forcing a trade... Great.

A kid being gauranteed a spot and placed in the roster expected to perform... Bad.

We have redundancy on defense. That's ok. You never know who could get injured, struggle, or might be great trade bait.

Lindholms salary also give the ducks some versatility to make trades and stay below self cap if his play does not force a move.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Nab77

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
He would actually have to play (9) NHL-games to burn off a year on his ELC, if I'm not totally mistaken.
It's actually 10 games, he can play 9 and be sent back Sweden and not lose a year off his contract, but if he plays in the AHL that counts as automatic year off the contract.

Nab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:01 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:36 PM
JohnnyDuck93

im confused will he play in north america next year either in nhl or ahl or is he going back to play in the sel?

JohnnyDuck93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:53 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Even still, two Europeans signed right away seems a little higher than normal.
It might be higher than normal but Forsberg by most accounts was extremely close to NHL ready and as we found out it's the same with Lindholm.

If these kids have any shot at playing this year they have to be signed by tomorrow. If not they have to report back to their European teams as the NHL transfer agreement states. Once the report date passes they are no longer allowed to report to their NHL teams without a contract.

So in a sense I don't find it that out of the question why they signed right away. The deadline is approaching fast. Now if both had no chance of making a roster or the teams didn't feel it was necessary to have them in camp then yes I would agree it's a little soon but the fact that both players are considered to be extremely close to NHL ready does not surprise me one bit. They have to make their decisions by July 15th. Teams with players playing in N. America don't have to follow these guidelines so there is no reason to rush their contracts.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Jerky Leclerc

With proposed restrictions on entry level contracts, I can imagine many prospects will want to sign before the new CBA is agreed.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:39 AM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
With proposed restrictions on entry level contracts, I can imagine many prospects will want to sign before the new CBA is agreed.
This is true but many teams probably would like to wait. lol

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote