HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do the Habs need defense depth?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2012, 01:33 PM
  #76
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Depends entirely upon Markov, if he's healthy we're a much better team already. With both Subban and Markov, to a lesser extent Gorges it's really not that bad.

I'm not a doctor, so I don't know the likelihood of AM returning to form, but he looked awful upon his return, which was completely expected. I expect him to bounce back in a big way, if so, he's our best player and automatically puts us in the playoff hunt.

I'd be more comfy with a minutes eater added, but a healthy Markov does wonders.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:36 PM
  #77
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 500
A fair assessment , but I think our 5th and 6th d are fairly poor.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:11 PM
  #78
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We don't need more depth, we need another top 4 guy.
For sure, another top 4 would be great but not sure how that will happen until our D prospects are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Depends entirely upon Markov, if he's healthy we're a much better team already. With both Subban and Markov, to a lesser extent Gorges it's really not that bad.

I'm not a doctor, so I don't know the likelihood of AM returning to form, but he looked awful upon his return, which was completely expected. I expect him to bounce back in a big way, if so, he's our best player and automatically puts us in the playoff hunt.
Markov is the wild card, if he somehow ended up our best player then that would be huge, although I wouldn't go into the season expecting that as even a solid Markov would be much better then what we saw last year. I do think he'll bounce back and be a big help as the season wears on and he shakes the rust off.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:51 PM
  #79
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not sure why you're so upset over this.
I don't care if he won the cup, plenty of bad players have won the cup. Doesn't Chris Osgood have like 4 cups? Does this make him one of the best goalies of modern times? Of course not.

I don't need to know what other people from other boards think. I can form my own opinion on the matter. Point is, McQuaid is not really reliable. He brings a physical aspect to the game, which seems to be the ONLY positive point you can bring up, and that's about it. He isn't all that great defensively, not a great puck mover, below average skater, not a great fighter, not even a specialist on the PP or PK, really, he's very very average for a bottom pair guy.
Nothing to get bent out of shape over.

I wouldn't take McQuaid over Diaz on my team. No. Over Bouillon? Ya. Over Campoli? Ya. Over Weber? that depends on the rest of the team. If we already have Diaz, Markov, Kaberle, than yea, I'd probably prefer to put some size on our back end instead of yet another smaller puck mover, but that's not because McQuaid is better than Weber. It's because he'd fill a need that Weber can't. If we were lacking puck movers, I'd pick Weber over McQuaid.

Anyways, McQuaid is in Boston for 2 more years. So, not sure what the discussion is all about really.
So you admit he brings a physical aspect to the game ( which is what we need and that is what this whole topic I started was about ). You say he isn't a great fight ...where did you come up with that? He has been in 26 NHL fights and has only lost 2 (as per www.dropyourgloves.com) Now does that sound like a guy that can't fight????? He has had over a hundred hits and blocks in his first 2 NHL seasons which is good for a 3rd pairing dman plus he has played on the pk and was plus 46 in 2 years.

So you would rather have Daiz on the Montreal Canadiens than McQuaid lol. Daiz has no place here on the HABS, he is behind Markov,Subban,Kaberle ,Weber and maybe even Emelin when it comes to pp time so where is he going to get his ice time? maybe on the 3rd pairing which is the perfect spot for a Young/Tough/BIG /cheap denseman like McQuaid. So i BET PRICE is injuried before the allstar break because we have no defensemen that will stick up for him and direct the oncoming forwards out of the crease. Really wake up the HAbs need atleast 1 guy like McQuaid to pound on forwards like Lucic,Neil and so on.

So in 2 years when Tinordi is playing on the HABS and playing the same type of game that McQuaid plays now are you going to say he sucks because he doesn't play on the powerplay and isn't the fastest skater on the team ? You will overlook that he protects the small players and the goaltender and hits,fights and blocks shots which in turn shows great leadership and will be loved by his teammates for doing all the dirty work.


Last edited by habsroom: 07-14-2012 at 04:04 PM.
habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:16 PM
  #80
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
So you admit he brings a physical aspect to the game ( which is what we need and that is what this whole topic I started was about ). You say he isn't a great fight ...where did you come up with that? He has been in 26 NHL fights and has only lost 2 (as per www.dropyourgloves.com) Now does that sound like a guy that can't fight????? He has had over a hundred hits and blocks in his first 2 NHL seasons which is good for a 3rd pairing dman plus he has played on the pk and was plus 46 in 2 years.

So you would rather have Daiz on the Montreal Canadiens than McQuaid lol. Daiz has no place here on the HABS, he is behind Markov,Subban,Kaberle ,Weber and maybe even Emelin when it comes to pp time so where is he going to get his ice time? maybe on the 3rd pairing which is the perfect spot for a Young/Tough/BIG /cheap denseman like McQuaid. So i BET PRICE is injuried before the allstar break because we have no defensemen that will stick up for him and direct the oncoming forwards out of the crease. Really wake up the HAbs need atleast 1 guy like McQuaid to pound on forwards like Lucic,Neil and so on.

So in 2 years when Tinordi is playing on the HABS and playing the same type of game that McQuaid plays now are you going to say he sucks because he doesn't play on the powerplay and isn't the fastest skater on the team ? You will overlook that he protects the small players and the goaltender and hits,fights and blocks shots which in turn shows great leadership and will be loved by his teammates for doing all the dirty work.
First off, I never said he sucks, you're the one that seems to be in love with him. I said he's really not that good, as in, nowhere near as good as you're making him out to be.
Furthermore, the arguments you use to try to prove your point just make you look even more desperate.

I also never said McQuaid isn't good because he doesn't play on the PP or doesn't skate fast. I said a multitude of things and when you add them ALL together, then ya, it makes for a very average bottom line player.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him on our team. Heck, I wanted us to sign Erskine two years ago. Still, I'm able to say Erskine isn't a great bottom pair Dman, just like McQuaid.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:29 PM
  #81
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
First off, I never said he sucks, you're the one that seems to be in love with him. I said he's really not that good, as in, nowhere near as good as you're making him out to be.
Furthermore, the arguments you use to try to prove your point just make you look even more desperate.

I also never said McQuaid isn't good because he doesn't play on the PP or doesn't skate fast. I said a multitude of things and when you add them ALL together, then ya, it makes for a very average bottom line player.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him on our team. Heck, I wanted us to sign Erskine two years ago. Still, I'm able to say Erskine isn't a great bottom pair Dman, just like McQuaid.
So what makes a great bottom pair defensemen than if being young (25) tough(26 nhl fights 2 loses), big(6-4 210 ),cheap(1.6),+ 46 and a stanley cup champ? Please tell me because I can't think of anything else.

You didn't say he sucked but you did say Daiz was better and that he wasn't that good. Ecultswi said he sucked but he could find the words to explain to the rest of the board why McQuaid sucks not sure if he evens knows lol

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:31 PM
  #82
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
So what makes a great bottom pair defensemen than if being young (25) tough(26 nhl fights 2 loses), big(6-4 210 ),cheap(1.6),+ 46 and a stanley cup champ? Please tell me because I can't think of anything else.

You didn't say he sucked but you did say Daiz was better and that he wasn't that good. Ecultswi said he sucked but he could find the words to explain to the rest of the board why McQuaid sucks not sure if he evens knows lol
Here's a crazy idea about what makes a defenseman good, playing good defense. I know, I know, it's a crazy thought.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:47 PM
  #83
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Here's a crazy idea about what makes a defenseman good, playing good defense. I know, I know, it's a crazy thought.

McQuaid is + 46 over the last two years.........better than our boys Diaz and Weber. I would say that is playing defense.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:45 PM
  #84
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Here's a crazy idea about what makes a defenseman good, playing good defense. I know, I know, it's a crazy thought.
How is he plus 46 over the last 2 years if he can't play defense? He is second among boston defensemen in +/- .......

Chara is plus = 66
McQuaid plus = 46
Boychuck plus = 42
Ference plus = 31
Seidenberg plus = 18

So I have proved to you that he is tough 26 nhl fights 2 loses, that he is big 6-4 210
that he can play defense +46 in 2 years, that he has a great contract he is making under 1.6 million and is signed for 3 more years(franky B gets $1.5) plus he has played in big games and has a cup ring already. And to boot other posters on here would also love to have him and said he is the perfect type of dman needed here in Montreal !!!!!! JUST ADMIT IT YOU LOST HIS FIGHT.

PS SMART ASS AMSWERS DON'T WIN YOU FIGHTS !(Here's a crazy idea about what makes a defenseman good, playing good defense I know, I know, it's a crazy thought) THE FACTS AND KNOWING HOCKEY PLAYERS AND THE TYPE OF PLAYERS THAT TEAMMATES WANT TO PLAY WITH DO.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:36 AM
  #85
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
I guess we scared them off SouthernHab. I can't believe after the last few years of watching Price get run,Cams getting abused ,Subban getting punched in the face 10 times a game ,Patches having his neck broke, and Pyatt,Hamerlik,Spacek and so on getting jumped and beat up with no one coming to there aid. People that love the HABS like we do don't realize that we can't ice a team with 6 move moving small defensemen. Do they forget when we had guys like Souray,Rivet,Odelein, Manson
Quintal, and so on.


Last edited by habsroom: 07-15-2012 at 11:22 AM.
habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:44 AM
  #86
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,599
vCash: 500
More depth? Dunno.
Better defensemen? Sure.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:05 PM
  #87
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
McQuaid is + 46 over the last two years.........better than our boys Diaz and Weber. I would say that is playing defense.
Right, after all those years, you still think the plus/minus stat is actually telling of skill?

McQuaid is +41 career wise, Markov is +27, I guess McQuaid is better than Markov..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:08 PM
  #88
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
How is he plus 46 over the last 2 years if he can't play defense? He is second among boston defensemen in +/- .......

Chara is plus = 66
McQuaid plus = 46
Boychuck plus = 42
Ference plus = 31
Seidenberg plus = 18

So I have proved to you that he is tough 26 nhl fights 2 loses, that he is big 6-4 210
that he can play defense +46 in 2 years, that he has a great contract he is making under 1.6 million and is signed for 3 more years(franky B gets $1.5) plus he has played in big games and has a cup ring already. And to boot other posters on here would also love to have him and said he is the perfect type of dman needed here in Montreal !!!!!! JUST ADMIT IT YOU LOST HIS FIGHT.

PS SMART ASS AMSWERS DON'T WIN YOU FIGHTS !(Here's a crazy idea about what makes a defenseman good, playing good defense I know, I know, it's a crazy thought) THE FACTS AND KNOWING HOCKEY PLAYERS AND THE TYPE OF PLAYERS THAT TEAMMATES WANT TO PLAY WITH DO.
What fight did I lose? McQuaid is not that good of a defenseman. Simple, clear, and correct.

By your logic, McQuaid is the 2nd best Dman in Boston, because he's 2nd in terms of +/-, which is retarded. That stat has a lot more to do about the team than the individual. It's like the GAA for goalies.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:48 PM
  #89
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Right, after all those years, you still think the plus/minus stat is actually telling of skill?

McQuaid is +41 career wise, Markov is +27, I guess McQuaid is better than Markov..
+ - is not the end all be all. I agree with that. It is but one indicator of a player's efficacy. Probably more important to DMen than forwards.

With all that said, I would take McQuaid over pretty much any DMan we have with the exception of Markov, Gorges and Subban. He has what I like to call "intangibles" upside.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:01 PM
  #90
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
+ - is not the end all be all. I agree with that. It is but one indicator of a player's efficacy. Probably more important to DMen than forwards.

With all that said, I would take McQuaid over pretty much any DMan we have with the exception of Markov, Gorges and Subban. He has what I like to call "intangibles" upside.
I wouldn't take him over Emelin or Diaz. He's a 6th Dman.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:10 PM
  #91
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I wouldn't take him over Emelin or Diaz. He's a 6th Dman.
I would. Definitely over Diaz, as he, Weber, Kaberle, Markov and even Subban are just the same players with different skill levels.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:11 PM
  #92
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,246
vCash: 500
McQuaid over Emelin? I'm the one who brought up McQuaid as an option for the Habs, but he clealry has at least 4 players ahead of him on D and you can add DIaz to that.

I aslo wonder if Tampa would be tempted to trade AUlie right now as they have now a lot of depth on D but not much scoring. Maybe a package around Weber or Diaz straight up. He would be a very good addition for this season, but him and Tinordi on the same team might be a bit too much in 2-3 years.

This is Tampa pro contracts for next seasons (apart from Aulie).

Hedman
Brewer
Carle
Salo
Lee
Mikkelson
MAB

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:15 PM
  #93
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
McQuaid intimidates nobody. He's a #5 d-man at best. At least Diaz has NHL skill, can move the puck and play on the PP while still being defensively responsible.
Did i say i wanted McQuaid?

Bottom line is Bergevin and the boys know best. If they think he's decent, than he probably is. All i know is that mix and matching your 3rd line pairing with pushovers like Kaberle, Diaz and Weber is not going to cut it. I honestly cannot remember much about McQuaid, but at least i don't remember anything bad about him. I will always take a guy like him over a player who can move the puck but is smallish and not great defensively.

edit: I meant to say to say in this case i would. I got a little quick with the trigger finger there!


Last edited by Markowicz: 07-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:24 PM
  #94
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
McQuaid over Emelin? I'm the one who brought up McQuaid as an option for the Habs, but he clealry has at least 4 players ahead of him on D and you can add DIaz to that.

I aslo wonder if Tampa would be tempted to trade AUlie right now as they have now a lot of depth on D but not much scoring. Maybe a package around Weber or Diaz straight up. He would be a very good addition for this season, but him and Tinordi on the same team might be a bit too much in 2-3 years.

This is Tampa pro contracts for next seasons (apart from Aulie).

Hedman
Brewer
Carle
Salo
Lee
Mikkelson
MAB
MAB, Mikkelson and Lee suck. Aulie was traded for Ashton, so the habs would need to see a prospect of similar value back in order to get Aulie. You can't get him for a slightly better MAB

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:36 PM
  #95
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
So you admit he brings a physical aspect to the game ( which is what we need and that is what this whole topic I started was about ). You say he isn't a great fight ...where did you come up with that? He has been in 26 NHL fights and has only lost 2 (as per www.dropyourgloves.com) Now does that sound like a guy that can't fight????? He has had over a hundred hits and blocks in his first 2 NHL seasons which is good for a 3rd pairing dman plus he has played on the pk and was plus 46 in 2 years.

So you would rather have Daiz on the Montreal Canadiens than McQuaid lol. where is he going to get his ice time? maybe on the 3rd pairing which is the perfect spoDaiz has no place here on the HABS, he is behind Markov,Subban,Kaberle ,Weber and maybe even Emelin when it comes to pp time so t for a Young/Tough/BIG /cheap denseman like McQuaid. So i BET PRICE is injuried before the allstar break because we have no defensemen that will stick up for him and direct the oncoming forwards out of the crease. Really wake up the HAbs need atleast 1 guy like McQuaid to pound on forwards like Lucic,Neil and so on.

So in 2 years when Tinordi is playing on the HABS and playing the same type of game that McQuaid plays now are you going to say he sucks because he doesn't play on the powerplay and isn't the fastest skater on the team ? You will overlook that he protects the small players and the goaltender and hits,fights and blocks shots which in turn shows great leadership and will be loved by his teammates for doing all the dirty work.

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Who cares if Weber got more PP time than Diaz, it won't matter when Weber is a healthy scratch or traded elsewhere. And, are you really trying to imply that Emelin got more PP time than Diaz?.......really??

I actually like Diaz and he would be a very acceptable 3rd pairing, 2nd PP wave d-man if he was paired with a big, physical partner. The problem here is Kaberle who is feather soft and has slowed down alot. Kaberle coughs up the puck at the first hint of contact because he is and always has been afraid to take a hit.

As for McQuaid, he is a pretty tough guy but he is also a liability as a d-man. Fortunately for him Chara plays close to 30 minutes a game and McQuaid rarely sees anything more than the oppositions plugs.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:39 PM
  #96
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,460
vCash: 243
At this point, I hope Kaberle had an epiphany over the summer and finds himself. 2 years ago, he was a legit top 4 dman. If he can return to form, we have a top 4 that is legit.

The reality is it's a big step to assume Emelin or Diaz can jump into a top 4 role in their 2nd season.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:55 PM
  #97
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
At this point, I hope Kaberle had an epiphany over the summer and finds himself. 2 years ago, he was a legit top 4 dman. If he can return to form, we have a top 4 that is legit.

The reality is it's a big step to assume Emelin or Diaz can jump into a top 4 role in their 2nd season.
I live just outside of Toronto and have seen ALOT of Kaberle. He has always been grossly overrated and has always been terrible in his own end.

The problem with Kaberle in the last couple of seasons is he doesn't take care of himself and he is losing his legs. He used to be an oustanding skater but he has really packed on the pounds and is now only average as far as mobility goes. He never did learn how to make the small plays along the boards as he always tried to skate it out but has now lost that ability to do so which leaves him as a nightmare in his own end.

Leaf fans are very similar to Hab fans in that the masses are mainly comprised of unknowledgeable, bandwagon jumping herds of sheep. It is these mobs that create hype or hatred towards their own players baesd on what the flapping heads in the media feed them. There are however pockets of knowledgeable Leaf fans (hard to believe but true) who couldn't stand Kaberle because he was consistently awful in the post season and in front of his own net. The sheep would point to his point totals but the intelligent fans knew to look deeper. Unfortunately the Toronto media are clueless and treated Kaberle like a star and this truism has permeated far and deep amongst NHL fans and media.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:25 PM
  #98
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I wouldn't take him over Emelin or Diaz. He's a 6th Dman.
That's what makes hockey forums interesting. We all have differing opinions.

Mine isnt right or wrong and neither is yours.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
  #99
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
MAB, Mikkelson and Lee suck. Aulie was traded for Ashton, so the habs would need to see a prospect of similar value back in order to get Aulie. You can't get him for a slightly better MAB
In a perfect situation for Tampa Yes, they would get back a player in the mold of Ashton, at this point, even though Ashton got a lot of hype, he's nothing more than a glorified Palushaj. When Tampa traded for Aulie they dearly needed defencemen, since then they have added Carle and Salo, plus they might be getting back Ohlund. MAB is getting old, it'sthe last year of their point shot, a guy like Weber or Palushaj might be an addition Tampa would consider.

Tampa's fans seems to be positive that Barberio could surprise and make the team this season.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:50 PM
  #100
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,460
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I live just outside of Toronto and have seen ALOT of Kaberle. He has always been grossly overrated and has always been terrible in his own end.

The problem with Kaberle in the last couple of seasons is he doesn't take care of himself and he is losing his legs. He used to be an oustanding skater but he has really packed on the pounds and is now only average as far as mobility goes. He never did learn how to make the small plays along the boards as he always tried to skate it out but has now lost that ability to do so which leaves him as a nightmare in his own end.

Leaf fans are very similar to Hab fans in that the masses are mainly comprised of unknowledgeable, bandwagon jumping herds of sheep. It is these mobs that create hype or hatred towards their own players baesd on what the flapping heads in the media feed them. There are however pockets of knowledgeable Leaf fans (hard to believe but true) who couldn't stand Kaberle because he was consistently awful in the post season and in front of his own net. The sheep would point to his point totals but the intelligent fans knew to look deeper. Unfortunately the Toronto media are clueless and treated Kaberle like a star and this truism has permeated far and deep amongst NHL fans and media.
I agree isn't a top 10 dman in the league but he can certainly be in the top 60-100 range, which is what a bottom end top 4 dman is and what we need.

I agree he is soft and has his faults but he isn't no MAB defensively. (lol I better qualify that: when he wasn't fat & out of shape)

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.