HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Prospect Camp (7/9-7/15)

Old
07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
I remember at this game last year that Rinaldo plastered Couturier. Seems like we raise um up good at a young ago lol.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Laughton is apparently a monster-in-training.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Laughton apparently shyed away from the corners durin play though. Obviously can change when confident rises. Clapperton was the best nondrafted rookie.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:32 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I remember at this game last year that Rinaldo plastered Couturier. Seems like we raise um up good at a young ago lol.
And both were with the big club last season

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea thats what his teammates, friends etc etc call him. Even announcers.
Awesome to the max.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:00 PM
anthockey77

Really liked Gostibehere and Lauridsen on D. Palmquist and Boivin also made some smart plays, showed some offensive ability

Michael Parks has some silky hands as well

anthockey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Dustin Leed‏@D_LEED

Laughton just killed someone

Charlie O'Connor‏@THG_Charlie

Laughton just wrecked Gostisbehere. He goes off the ice slowly. Monster hit.

We gonna love this kid
It will be only a matter of time before Laughton makes the big club, most likely next year. But man oh man he would have helped us vs the devils. This kid will become a fan favorite. Plus he has talent to boot. Any update on the young goalies?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:34 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Info compiled from texts that I received from the same guy who went to day 2.

Essentially::::

Laughton solid but years away yet
Clapperton smart and fast but plays smaller than he is. Needs strength big time
Johnston fastest guy there
Parks much improved
Brown Absent
McGinn slow
Ghost possibly injured
Disappointed with akeson
Cousins was good but not as good as Johnston and not nearly as quick
Most of the invitees that didn't have family connections were solid. He quite liked fyten and hoped he'd get an ahl deal
He though tvr was the best of the family guys but nothing to write home about

In his opinion none of the forwards are NHL ready and manning is the only d. He thinks laurisden might not be too far away either but not right out of camp and possibly not at all this year.

Keep in mind he is a devils fan so his opinion may not count for much. for the record he thought couts was 2 years away last year but he was bang on about jvr beating maroon out 3 years ago when many of us thought the opposite

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:53 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I should add this as well:

He feels this years group of picks are all good picks and their age didn't show at all. Laughton, Leier and ghost especially.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

As we are right now, Laughton does not need to be rushed at all. Let him play with the Juniors/Phantoms for the next 2 or 3 years and then think about bringing him up. We have technically 4 top 9 centers, so no rush, and I think Laughton can become even more of a beast by then. Would love to see more by Manning and Gost. Any idea when Gost would be ready to play in the NHL?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:12 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Info compiled from texts that I received from the same guy who went to day 2.

Essentially::::

Laughton solid but years away yet
Clapperton smart and fast but plays smaller than he is. Needs strength big time
Johnston fastest guy there
Parks much improved
Brown Absent
McGinn slow
Ghost possibly injured
Disappointed with akeson
Cousins was good but not as good as Johnston and not nearly as quick
Most of the invitees that didn't have family connections were solid. He quite liked fyten and hoped he'd get an ahl deal
He though tvr was the best of the family guys but nothing to write home about

In his opinion none of the forwards are NHL ready and manning is the only d. He thinks laurisden might not be too far away either but not right out of camp and possibly not at all this year.

Keep in mind he is a devils fan so his opinion may not count for much. for the record he thought couts was 2 years away last year but he was bang on about jvr beating maroon out 3 years ago when many of us thought the opposite
IMO it's a fair assessment.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:14 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
It will be only a matter of time before Laughton makes the big club, most likely next year. But man oh man he would have helped us vs the devils. This kid will become a fan favorite. Plus he has talent to boot. Any update on the young goalies?
Heeter was good;

Stolu showed some skill, but at times overplayed- needs some grooming, but abilities are there.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
As we are right now, Laughton does not need to be rushed at all. Let him play with the Juniors/Phantoms for the next 2 or 3 years and then think about bringing him up. We have technically 4 top 9 centers, so no rush, and I think Laughton can become even more of a beast by then. Would love to see more by Manning and Gost. Any idea when Gost would be ready to play in the NHL?
I cant see ghost leaving early. He is going to union with a degree in engineering. Plus three years there will help improve his game and weight. I also was talkig to a buddy who realy liked how he played today and said he was one of the best defenders at camp. He will most likely go to rookie camp, abit of real camp and then sent back to union.

Really hope hes not hurt. Im going tom so ill give a report like i did last year.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I cant see ghost leaving early. He is going to union with a degree in engineering. Plus three years there will help improve his game and weight. I also was talkig to a buddy who realy liked how he played today and said he was one of the best defenders at camp. He will most likely go to rookie camp, abit of real camp and then sent back to union.

Really hope hes not hurt. Im going tom so ill give a report like i did last year.
Did Laughton apologize for the hit? Just curious.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Heeter was good;

Stolu showed some skill, but at times overplayed- needs some grooming, but abilities are there.
Thank you.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Mangene is in a walking boot and won't be in the scrimmages. He joins Lukko (who is injured but attending) as camp participants who won't be in the scrimmages
Luukko played in the scrimmage today.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:03 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I went to the scrimmage today, and here's my report from what I remember:

7-2 was the final score, and the orange team was the winner. Goals were scored by Parks(2, one one a penalty shot and another regular strength), McGinn, Leier, and Clapperton that I remember. Orange had the 2 best goalies in camp(Heeter and Stolarz), with each allowing one goal. The game really wasn't even fair. Team Orange had nearly 50 shots, and I think Team Black ended with about 20. Overall, nobody impressed me all that much. Nobody looked head and shoulders better than anybody else. Here are some notes on guys that did stuff:

Cousins: He's a very good skater. Multiple times he collected the puck deep in his own zone and went flying up ice to the opponent's blueline, only to try a move that will never work in the NHL and lose the puck. You can see the sparkplug in him too. He hits, and was hacking a bit after the whistle.

Akeson: He disappointed me. I was expecting him to be the best player in camp, and despite some decent passes, didn't really jump out much at all.

Grbavac: Got in a fight with Elliot and beat him pretty badly. Elliot had the size advantage, but Grbavac definitely got the better of him. They squared up right off the faceoff and Grbavac definitely won.

Lauridsen: Hits everything. Everything. He's got a future in the NHL for sure. His skating definitely looks like it's improved, and he was the most noticeable player on the ice because of his size and how he played. Always finished his hits in the corners, and made life difficult for opposing forwards. He played a good game.

Clapperton: He's small, but you can tell he's got some good hands. Showed some good speed and puck skills, with a nose around the net.

Johnston: Along with Cousins, he was probably the fastest player on the ice. Like Cousins, he had a couple instances where he got the puck and went flying up ice through the neutral zone, only to be stopped when he tried to do a deke that will never work in the NHL. He's got some hands for sure. I'm interested to see how he does in the ECHL/AHL this year.

Laughton: Crushed Gostisbehere, but didn't really do much else besides that. It was a clean hit too.

McGinn: I thought he had a solid game. Had a really nice penalty shot move to score for Team Orange, and he seemed to be around the puck and involved in the play whenever he was out there. For a bigger guy, he's got some decent hands.

Parks: Scored two beautiful goals. He went backhand top shelf on a penalty shot, and the goalie had no chance. On another one, he took a pass in the high slot, stepped in a bit, and put it backhand top shelf again for his second goal of the game. He was a really pleasant surprise, and I'm starting to see why he was so good at UND.

Palmquist: Of all the invited guys, he was one of the most impressive. Showed good awareness in his own zone, made a good first pass, and was a good skater.

Suellentrop: Like Lauridsen, I think he's definitely got a future in the NHL. He plays a very simple game, was good in the corners, finished his hits, and blocked a couple shots. He's never going to amaze you offensively, but he is effective.

Stolarz: He's big. Really big. He made some good saves, but he and Heeter really weren't tested very much because they probably only faced about 10 shots each, whereas the other goalies faced about 25 each. Showed good mobility for a big guy, but tended to over-commit a bit.

Basically all of the guys who got invited because they had some tie to the organization(Stevens, Hatcher, Coburn, and TVR) were mediocre. TVR was the best of the bunch, making some good outlet passes, but was nothing great.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:33 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Thanks for the report. One of things I love is how Parks is developing. We have several more years to sign him yet and he one of the very few flyer prospects I've been able to see live (when he was still in Iowa). At that time (year after he was drafted) I was impressed with his 2 way game. Thinking back now it was a bit Matt Read like. I'm really pulling for him to make it.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I went to the scrimmage today, and here's my report from what I remember:

7-2 was the final score, and the orange team was the winner. Goals were scored by Parks(2, one one a penalty shot and another regular strength), McGinn, Leier, and Clapperton that I remember. Orange had the 2 best goalies in camp(Heeter and Stolarz), with each allowing one goal. The game really wasn't even fair. Team Orange had nearly 50 shots, and I think Team Black ended with about 20. Overall, nobody impressed me all that much. Nobody looked head and shoulders better than anybody else. Here are some notes on guys that did stuff:

Cousins: He's a very good skater. Multiple times he collected the puck deep in his own zone and went flying up ice to the opponent's blueline, only to try a move that will never work in the NHL and lose the puck. You can see the sparkplug in him too. He hits, and was hacking a bit after the whistle.

Akeson: He disappointed me. I was expecting him to be the best player in camp, and despite some decent passes, didn't really jump out much at all.

Grbavac: Got in a fight with Elliot and beat him pretty badly. Elliot had the size advantage, but Grbavac definitely got the better of him. They squared up right off the faceoff and Grbavac definitely won.

Lauridsen: Hits everything. Everything. He's got a future in the NHL for sure. His skating definitely looks like it's improved, and he was the most noticeable player on the ice because of his size and how he played. Always finished his hits in the corners, and made life difficult for opposing forwards. He played a good game.

Clapperton: He's small, but you can tell he's got some good hands. Showed some good speed and puck skills, with a nose around the net.

Johnston: Along with Cousins, he was probably the fastest player on the ice. Like Cousins, he had a couple instances where he got the puck and went flying up ice through the neutral zone, only to be stopped when he tried to do a deke that will never work in the NHL. He's got some hands for sure. I'm interested to see how he does in the ECHL/AHL this year.

Laughton: Crushed Gostisbehere, but didn't really do much else besides that. It was a clean hit too.

McGinn: I thought he had a solid game. Had a really nice penalty shot move to score for Team Orange, and he seemed to be around the puck and involved in the play whenever he was out there. For a bigger guy, he's got some decent hands.

Parks: Scored two beautiful goals. He went backhand top shelf on a penalty shot, and the goalie had no chance. On another one, he took a pass in the high slot, stepped in a bit, and put it backhand top shelf again for his second goal of the game. He was a really pleasant surprise, and I'm starting to see why he was so good at UND.

Palmquist: Of all the invited guys, he was one of the most impressive. Showed good awareness in his own zone, made a good first pass, and was a good skater.

Suellentrop: Like Lauridsen, I think he's definitely got a future in the NHL. He plays a very simple game, was good in the corners, finished his hits, and blocked a couple shots. He's never going to amaze you offensively, but he is effective.

Stolarz: He's big. Really big. He made some good saves, but he and Heeter really weren't tested very much because they probably only faced about 10 shots each, whereas the other goalies faced about 25 each. Showed good mobility for a big guy, but tended to over-commit a bit.

Basically all of the guys who got invited because they had some tie to the organization(Stevens, Hatcher, Coburn, and TVR) were mediocre. TVR was the best of the bunch, making some good outlet passes, but was nothing great.
Thanks for the information. Nice to hear Suellentrop and Lauridsen played well. I was not sure how well Cousins skated. But it sounds as if both him and Johnston have some decent wheels

Old
07-14-2012, 08:16 PM
FLYguy3911

Was it crowded? I might go tomorrow (there's a scrimmage tomorrow correct?). What's a good time to get there?

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:55 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
thanks for all the reports.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:28 AM
CSKA1974

[QUOTE=FLYguy3911;52550071]Was it crowded? I might go tomorrow (there's a scrimmage tomorrow correct?). What's a good time to get there?[/QUOTE]

8:45

Old
07-15-2012, 07:19 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I'm about to head there now. If anyone wants to bump into me, I'll be wearing a vertically striped dress shirt, blue jeans with a hole in the knee, and black shoes, tweeting from my phone, sporting a bad haircut I recently got. Glasses. Large goatee.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

First period done. Akeson looks alot better than yesterday. TVR is hands down the best invitee and then palmquist after him. Manning the dane and Larrson have been the best defenders. Ghost isnt playing. Also laughton and cousins slashing eachother at the end of the game.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:40 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Anyone think we have any WJC hopefulls for this year?

Any chance Laughton makes team Canada in the 4th line slot?

Larsson for team sweden?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote