HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Dellapina is missed

Old
07-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
John Dellapina is missed

We are usually pretty critical of Larry Brooks, but seeing how he is the only one, basically, reporting on the CBA negotiations it's certainly a reminder how poor the coverage will be once he stops writing.

Nobody will express an 'opinion' anymore. Sure, we will like get reports from camps and what not, but nobody will ever criticize the brass or players and so forth.

Even if I disagreed with them (Brooks and Dellapina) as much as everyone else, I certainly miss the time we had two guys (and Frank Brown before Dellapina) covering this team who had the guts to write what they actually think. I can't remember the last time another reporter than Brooks actually had an idea or an opinion that they wrote about. Dellapina at least used to do that regularly.

What's the point with this thread? We should rue the day Brooks quits and should try to push the people who are paid to cover this team to actually do so, as opposed to always taking the comfortable way and just forward what they are fed by the org.

Last edited by Ola: 07-14-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:29 PM
LordsCup*

Love Brooks. He actually gives a real opinion and he works his sources to get info.

Do i agree with him all the time? Nope, but im very happy he covers our team.

The "other" guys, zipay, cerny, pat, and Gross are all of the same. Never offering much information and they never do much digging to get anything. They pretty much just recycle information and reports from one another.

Zipay im convinced really doesnt understand hockey much at all.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I agree that JDP was the cream of the crop.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i thought the thread read "Dellapina is missing"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
Brooks has to be the most underrated writer there is. No one is forcing anyone to agree with his opinions. Also, he has to be the only writer that actually has a source in the Rangers organization.

Zipay and Gross are probably wrong 99.9% of the time when it involves any speculation.

07-14-2012, 04:06 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I miss Frank Brown too..Also Walt McPeek of the Star Ledger back in the day knew his stuff..The Ledger on Sundays during Hockey Season was must read.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Ditto the thoughts on Brooks.

Is Gerry Eskenazi still covering sports for the Times? Back in my day he was the best Ranger writer. eloquent and informative. I would buy the Times just to read his articles. He has a Sunday hockey column for years.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:18 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Brooks has to be the most underrated writer there is. No one is forcing anyone to agree with his opinions. Also, he has to be the only writer that actually has a source in the Rangers organization.

Zipay and Gross are probably wrong 99.9% of the time when it involves any speculation
Thats because all the sources they use are nobodys tweeting to their account and passing them "secret" info which is bogus. Then they report it

Old
07-14-2012, 04:54 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Not to mention Zipay is a complete ******* to folks on his Twitter feed.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
Not to mention Zipay is a complete ******* to folks on his Twitter feed.
Yep, I stopped following him a while ago for the same reason. So condescending.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Ola

Zipay and Gross are ok, but you definitely miss someone who will do more than just "report".

Like someone like Dellapina was against trading Brian Leetch for example, and wrote that, and cirtizised Slats for pullin of the trade when it was made. I was for trading Leetch, I am not a sentimental fan in that sense -- but imagine if we were trading Leetch today, the only written would be about what teams would be interested unles Brooks stuck out his neck.

I mean, now when things are going well it don't matter much that we lack people really covering the team -- but we are still GMed by Slats who has done a horrible job in the not so far away past. A lockout might be looming and you know the commissioner won hesitate to screw fans and the strong Canadian media are extremely league friendly. And so forth...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:56 PM
BarneyRoss

Jesse Spector is the biggest joke of them all - although he is now on the Sporting News now, guy tweets all day about his favorite burger and people on internet boards have more info and smart opinions than him..

BarneyRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyRoss View Post
Jesse Spector is the biggest joke of them all - although he is now on the Sporting News now, guy tweets all day about his favorite burger and people on internet boards have more info and smart opinions than him..
WHAT!? Jesse Spector is by far the coolest writer there is. And I completely disagree with your last statement. I wish he comes back to the DN.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:08 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
WHAT!? Jesse Spector is by far the coolest writer there is. And I completely disagree with your last statement. I wish he comes back to the DN.
Agreed. Jesse at least seems to have a genuine interest in covering hockey.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:13 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I agree that JDP was the cream of the crop.
Disagree.

Brooks always has been the best IMO for the same reason some here have already mentioned....he's been the only one that's consistently gotten inside info. Even when Dellapina was around Brooks was scooping him left & right. I value that the most in a beat writer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Zipay and Gross are ok, but you definitely miss someone who will do more than just "report".

Like someone like Dellapina was against trading Brian Leetch for example, and wrote that, and cirtizised Slats for pullin of the trade when it was made. I was for trading Leetch, I am not a sentimental fan in that sense -- but imagine if we were trading Leetch today, the only written would be about what teams would be interested unles Brooks stuck out his neck.

I mean, now when things are going well it don't matter much that we lack people really covering the team -- but we are still GMed by Slats who has done a horrible job in the not so far away past. A lockout might be looming and you know the commissioner won hesitate to screw fans and the strong Canadian media are extremely league friendly. And so forth...
I don't miss Dellapina's opinions' much(and part of this is because I have never valued the Daily News over the Post), but I agree with the general sentiment I think you're saying in that I wish there was another writer that could bring it the way Brooks' does...that is to say someone out there who has a strong, unique opinion/perspective to bring on all things Rangers & who has the freedom to write it.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Brooks is good but I don't always agree. Jim Cerny is okay, he usually gives an opinion and the report. I usually ask about the opinion on twitter and rangers chat, etc but yeah. Brooks will be missed when gone. Unless one of us gets his job.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Barry Meisel was in a class by himself IMO.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:05 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Most of the beat guys are drones. I follow them all on Twitter, but I only click Brooksie's links.

EDIT - There's a couple of gems out there like Kevin Baumer I enjoy, but he works for BSB and isn't regularly credentialed at MSG (which can be a good thing) and I also enjoy Pat Kearns, who I believe is credentialed at all home games...

Being part of the media shouldn't mean you're afraid. You should also really love, and KNOW the game you're covering. I don't know if Brooksie loves hockey, but the guy knows more about the CBA and the business side of things than all the other beat guys combined. You want to learn? Read Brooks. You want recycled player quotes? Read the rest of them.

Last edited by silverfish: 07-14-2012 at 09:35 PM.
silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:06 PM
NYRKING30

Pat Leonard is atrocious (see John Tortorella).

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:10 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
Pat Leonard is atrocious (see John Tortorella).
They are all bad except Brooks.

Gross is more concerned about getting quick radio segments and bragging about them but at least appears to have some knowledge sometimes. Pat and Zipay shouldnt even follow the team.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:45 PM
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i thought the thread read "Dellapina is missing"
Hahaha! I read it that way too!

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:03 PM
CH2

At least guys like Zip and Leonard don't rip off other writers and pass material off as their own. Some of the "beat writers" out there rip stuff off all the time about practice stuff despite never attending a skate.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Giacomin

I just had lunch with John last week and he misses the Rangers on a daily basis but is much more secure$ in his job now.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:36 PM
BarneyRoss

Quote:
Maybe if you like Catskills humor and not actually any real hockey talk...the guynow says he isn't even a Rangers fan BTW

BarneyRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyRoss View Post
Maybe if you like Catskills humor and not actually any real hockey talk...the guynow says he isn't even a Rangers fan BTW
What do you expect him to say? How many national writers announce what their favorite team is? He's clearly a Ranger fan and a New York sports fan in general.

His Twitter account isn't 100% hockey talk, but being a writer doesn't mean your Twitter account is only allowed to be used for breaking news. His job is to write, which he does a fine job doing, IMO.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote