HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New and Improved Lounge Thread (Contains a list of OT sections)

View Poll Results: Do you like this thread?
Yes 36 42.35%
No 49 57.65%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2012, 01:26 AM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

vCash: 500
Hahahahahaha

Old
07-14-2012, 05:07 PM
FuriousSenator

OT: My Grad School Plans

O Holy Board of Hockey I Come Seeking Your Wisdom.

Before me lies two choices for my grad school plans:

Either I attend the University of Toronto for a public affairs degree, or I attend Concordia University in Montreal for a similar degree. Let's say both programs are on equal footing, I am more concerned with the city.

I love sports and big events dearly and Montreal attracts me because of its inexpensive nature (rent/food seems to be much much cheaper overall then Ottawa (where I'm coming from) or Toronto, culture, and excellent public transportation (subway etc...). However, Toronto certainly has the edge in terms of its deluge of pro sports teams, enormous entertainment venues, and overall size.

In 50 words or so, can you guys do a good sell job of downtown Montreal for me? (and maybe some tips on good places to live, shop, what have you)

I am posting a similar thread on the Toronto board to get their input too.

Mods I know this is off-topic, but until Luongo gets traded, hey why not?

Old
07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This will get moved, but here is my answer:

I've experienced both downtown Montreal and Toronto. I love both cities, obviously I would choose Montreal since it's my home town and I'm living here, and I attend Concordia University in the heart of Downtown Montreal.

That said, for me both cities have events and a lot of great places to live, shop and etc. It would come down to finances and convenience.

As family is a big thing for me, I would chose Montreal. You are coming from Ottawa? You should weigh in your priorities.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:17 PM
le_sean

Toronto is terrible, don't go there.

I am also in Ottawa, and if you like the atmosphere here, you will love it in Montreal. Lots of bars with patios, lots of cafes. A very European feel. Toronto has a congested feeling and I could never see myself living there. And, as you said, Montreal is a lot cheaper than Toronto and Ottawa. Safer and cleaner than Toronto too.

Though you do say the programs are on equal footing, I would think a Uni of Toronto degree looks better than a Concordia one.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
FuriousSenator

That seems to be the consensus I have seen as well.

The Toronto board is putting up a terrific fight in favour of Toronto though!

Old
07-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Mrb1p

Why not McGill ? they don't give it there ?

Old
07-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Toronto has in opinion no real culture and the only culture you will get there is from the chinese and indians who make most of the city's appeal. Ask any young person that has lived in both cities and most of them will answer that Montreal for a wanting fun and adventures is the best place. Montreal is an international beacon of culture and young people from all over the world come here for its experience Toronto imho can't claim the same.

To give a clearer picture of my view, it's like receiving a gift for christmas and Toronto has a very nice gift box with a lot of flashy rapping paper and colors and inside it you will only find a cool chess board while montreal has not so nice rapping paper but inside it a PS3.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
That seems to be the consensus I have seen as well.

The Toronto board is putting up a terrific fight in favour of Toronto though!
Everybody knows Montreal as a city is 10000 times better than Toronto.

No fight needed here.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:05 PM
RyanBostonRedsox
Long Live Chappelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Toronto is terrible, don't go there.

I am also in Ottawa, and if you like the atmosphere here, you will love it in Montreal. Lots of bars with patios, lots of cafes. A very European feel. Toronto has a congested feeling and I could never see myself living there. And, as you said, Montreal is a lot cheaper than Toronto and Ottawa. Safer and cleaner than Toronto too.

Though you do say the programs are on equal footing, I would think a Uni of Toronto degree looks better than a Concordia one.
Agreed. Montreal is probably the most European city in North America.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:12 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Montreal girls > Toronto girls

And for the guy who said McGill. **** McGill. They be riding on reputation only.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:16 PM
habtastic

I'm facing a similar situation although it involves jobs. I'm from Montreal and it goes without saying I bleed bleu blanc rouge. I went to undergrad at Queens and grad at Waterloo. So all in all mostly Leafs nation.

Now that I'm applying to jobs, the two biggest sectors for my area of research are...

Bay area = no hockey (despite Cup) or PVR Center Ice IF i'm lucky

or

wait for it.....

boston FML. Just came back from there too since I've been going for interviews and stuff.

I'm literally depressed that I won't have RDS and won't be able to watch every game like I have for the past god knows how many years. And if it's Boston...wow...just wow. It's very easy, in fact a great feeling to wear your Habs jerseys in the toronto area. Not really the same in beantown.

As for the OP's question, going to Toronto is not a bad idea at all. It's close enough to home. I take the train to MTL so often and, like I said, it's easy being a Habs fan. It really is a question of the degree IMO. I don't know much about public affairs. If you've mostly lived in MTL, maybe it would be a nice change to go to U of T. It's a great school and will open up your network. If you have not lived in Montreal, McGill all the way!

Old
07-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
50 words or less? Off the top of my head, from what is popularly said around here.

Attractive women, better bars, great karaoke spots, some really sweet thrift shops, outdoor patios for drinking on a warm, sunny day, poutine, crazy hockey fans, a lot of culture, beautiful parks, quite a lot of job opportunity and some nice places to live at decent cost.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Manstructiclops

Well, unfortunately the degrees aren't on equal footing. The general quality of universities in Canada breaks down something like this:
1st tier: U of T, Waterloo, UBC
2nd: McGill, Queens, U of A, Western, other similar types of regional powerhouse schools
3rd: Concordia, UVic, etc.
We're not in the US, so the difference between tiers is a lot smaller than between say Stanford, then a decent state school, then some tiny regional school, but the difference is there.

Now, individual programs will vary wildly, so you'd know better about your specific area of interest than anyone, but depending on who's doing the hiring general reputation might be more salient.

As for the cities themselves, Toronto will be vastly underrated here. Essentially the difference between the two is a function of the economy, "culture" and the demographics. Toronto is far, far bigger and more diverse, and so more interesting in that there'll always be more to discover. The economy is in much better shape, so the city is cleaner with better infrastructure, and the people there are more likely to stick around longterm. Montreal has more of a student or non-permanent population, so there's a more accessible nightlife. Toronto's is just as vibrant, though more segregated and widespread, so it's a matter of meeting the right people. I guess ultimately it's up to how much effort you want to put into enjoying a city: Montreal is easier to have a good time in, but Toronto is more rewarding if you're willing to put in the effort.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:45 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manstructiclops View Post
Well, unfortunately the degrees aren't on equal footing. The general quality of universities in Canada breaks down something like this:
2nd: McGill, Queens, U of A, Western, other similar types of regional powerhouse schools
We're not in the US, so the difference between tiers is a lot smaller than between say Stanford, then a decent state school, then some tiny regional school, but the difference is there.

Now, individual programs will vary wildly, so you'd know better about your specific area of interest than anyone, but depending on who's doing the hiring general reputation might be more salient.

As for the cities themselves, Toronto will be vastly underrated here. Essentially the difference between the two is a function of the economy, "culture" and the demographics. Toronto is far, far bigger and more diverse, and so more interesting in that there'll always be more to discover. The economy is in much better shape, so the city is cleaner with better infrastructure, and the people there are more likely to stick around longterm. Montreal has more of a student or non-permanent population, so there's a more accessible nightlife. Toronto's is just as vibrant, though more segregated and widespread, so it's a matter of meeting the right people. I guess ultimately it's up to how much effort you want to put into enjoying a city: Montreal is easier to have a good time in, but Toronto is more rewarding if you're willing to put in the effort.

Please McGill is a first tier school and very easily.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Snaggle
nice sauce

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manstructiclops View Post
I did my undergrad at Waterloo and now doing my PhD at McGill. McGill is definitely in the first tier...while Waterloo is a second tier school. This is coming from someone in the math/sci/eng/ field.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:10 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Toronto wins simply because UofT and nothing else.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:18 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Beijing has just seen it's heaviest rains in... oh, 50 somethig years. And it's still raining.

The municipal government's answer to the lakes created in the streets bybthe rain: remove the manhole covers. Results: three deaths as of now. I just a kid walking in a meter of water being sucked into a manhole that he couldn't see. he was under for seemed an eternity. His dad eventually pulled him out but holy **** can people (talking about the city here) be stupid sometimes... Baffling really

pardon the bad grammar, I'm on my phone and still a bit shell-shocked

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 07-21-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Since I could find the ''Other sports thread'' I decided to post this here.

If anyone's going to watch the upcoming Olympics they should definetly check out the handball tournament, I made a thread about it on the Olympics board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post52938463

Old
07-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Jean Leloup with a great show tonight. 3 encores, had a blast !

Old
08-03-2012, 12:40 PM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

Headed to Montreal tonight for a Bachelor party. I am very excited!!

Old
08-03-2012, 03:25 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Since I could find the ''Other sports thread'' I decided to post this here.

If anyone's going to watch the upcoming Olympics they should definetly check out the handball tournament, I made a thread about it on the Olympics board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post52938463
I feel like the few childhood friends that I played handball with are the only N.Americans that know about the sport. It's so much fun. Well goalie isn't fun but playing the "wing" is just awesome.

Old
08-04-2012, 08:09 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274

Hab jerseys get all the cute girls.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:39 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Uhhh... cute? Okay if you say so... and what's with the ankle socks and the clown shoes? Kids these days..

Old
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
zzoo

Car insurance

May I have a car accident insurance: I just had a light car accident, ended up with some scratches in the bumper. It's my fault. I won't claim insurance, and I'll pay the repair with my own money.
My question is about the other car: if he claims the insurance, I think it's his insurance pays for the repair, not my insurance, right ? Does the insurance record my fault, even I don't claim (but he does) ? Does that affect my future insurance fee ?

Thanks

Old
08-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Rysmo

I'm not really sure where to put this, but I figure I will get an answer here regardless. If not, I'd be happy to ask somewhere else if I can be guided there.

My family and I have been planning on heading to Montreal for a few days in January, and going to the game on the 16th against Pittsburgh. The only thing is that there may be a lock-out, so I have been wondering... since tickets go on sale in mid-August, and there may not be a decision made until mid-September, if we buy tickets and it turns out there will be no season, is our money refunded? Does anybody know for sure what they did during the last lockout?

Hopefully someone can help out. Thanks!

Closed Thread