DAL trades Ribeiro to WSH for Eakin/2nd round pick in 2012

Old
06-25-2012, 08:14 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Well sure, if you add some fantasy players and give Benn more goals things look pretty good.
Well sure, if you don't make any more moves for the offseason, things look pretty bad.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Bench
Realgud!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Well sure, if you don't make any more moves for the offseason, things look pretty bad.
There you go.

I have the right to change my mind as things change. But I'm not going to spot Benn 10 fantasy goals hoping he turns into Malkin in one summer.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:21 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
There you go.

I have the right to change my mind as things change. But I'm not going to spot Benn 10 fantasy goals hoping he turns into Malkin in one summer.
I'm not either, all I'm saying is the roster's not done yet, and additions could easily be made that replaces or makes moving Riberio a net positive. It's silly to get on people for thinking that this could still work out as a beneficial move next season. Obviously right now we're a worse team, but I don't understand why you're making fun of people for thinking that things could still work out for the better by October.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:25 PM
batmansuncle

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not either, all I'm saying is the roster's not done yet, and additions could easily be made that replaces or makes moving Riberio a net positive. It's silly to get on people for thinking that this could still work out as a beneficial move next season. Obviously right now we're a worse team, but I don't understand why you're making fun of people for thinking that things could still work out for the better by October.
Couldnt agree more... lets wait till after FA before we started crying. Either way we get a better team then what we have now, or we have a lotto team. Either is better to me atm... im sick of finishing 14th or 13th overall

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:31 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
C'mon guys, we're all bored and it's much more fun to ***** and moan now. Stir the pot.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
but I don't understand why you're making fun of people for thinking that things could still work out for the better by October.
We heard the same thing last year when Richards left.

Or let me break it down. You linked an article from Defending Big D about how Ribeiro leaving would, AND I QUOTE:

Quote:
the coming Benn points explosion suggest that this trade, at worst, doesn't make the 2013 Stars a worse team.
Benn explosion. Not any worse. Got it.

Now let's go back into the time machine to 1 year ago on Defending Big D:
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2011/9/...thout-richards

Quote:
Simply, Mike Ribeiro is a legitimate first line center. The Stars happened to have two of those for the past three years, and we, as fans, were incredibly lucky in that regard. The best way to see how valuable Ribeiro has been to the Stars is to compare what he gave the Stars last year to what other teams got from their top two centers. Ideally we need to compare apples to apples. The best way to gain an appreciation for Ribeiro is to compare him to the top two centers from all teams in the NHL in terms of GVT60. Remember GVT (goals versus threshold) is a comparison of what extra value the player in question contributed versus what a replacement level player would contribute. Thus, GVT60 would be how much they contributed per 60 minutes of ice time (IE one full game). Where does Ribeiro rank among the 60 top two line centers (based on total time on ice per team) from last season?

18th. He’s a borderline All Star on a year to year basis.

[...]

with the year to year top-level production of Mike Ribeiro you get a solid center situation for 2011/12, and one less question mark heading into training camp.
I fully expect an article next year that explains how Dallas will be just fine and potentially better off without Benn. Ribeiro was the primary justification for Richards leaving being fine. Now Ribeiro is gone a year later, after the team was pretty terrible down the stretch, and I'm supposed to believe, yet again, they'll somehow be fine or better.

I'm not stirring the pot on purpose, really, can't you see how hilarious these articles are year after year?

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I fully expect an article next year that explains how Dallas will be just fine and potentially better off without Benn.
Now you're just wrong. They're clearly going to say that the team is better off without Lehtonen.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Yes I'm aware the parallel you were drawing.

But the posters on this board were convinced we could be better using Richard's money for depth after the FA acquisitions were made. Ryder + a real checking line would have made a better team than 10-11. However it turns out that Fiddler/Dvorak were not the defensive players we had hoped they'd be.

You're judging people's reactions to the Riberio trade BEFORE FA and we see what replaces him. Two entirely different scenarios to be drawing parallels and ripping people about.

And yes, that DBD side-by-side is pretty funny. And yes the quote about Benn making up the 70 points Ribs brought all by himself is pretty moronic. But its DBD, what do you expect?

Old
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
We heard the same thing last year when Richards left.

Or let me break it down. You linked an article from Defending Big D about how Ribeiro leaving would, AND I QUOTE:

Benn explosion. Not any worse. Got it.

Now let's go back into the time machine to 1 year ago on Defending Big D:
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2011/9/...thout-richards

I fully expect an article next year that explains how Dallas will be just fine and potentially better off without Benn. Ribeiro was the primary justification for Richards leaving being fine. Now Ribeiro is gone a year later, after the team was pretty terrible down the stretch, and I'm supposed to believe, yet again, they'll somehow be fine or better.

I'm not stirring the pot on purpose, really, can't you see how hilarious these articles are year after year?
Is it fair to pick on DBD here? They are just frustrated fans with hopes and dreams like every other poster here.

I do think it is a fair point that absent future apendectomies, Benn will play with better linemates and get more time on the PP, therefore increasing his point production in a way that may not be linked to an increase in team results. Changing from Burish/Ott to Eriksson/Ryder should be good for a few points at least.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Troy McClure

The Stars seem to do a good job of getting local media types to sell the "addition by subtraction" stories. Heika's carried the water for them on Ribeiro.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Nystrom, Fiddler and Dvorak would have made a great 4th line at their price points. They weren't a completely awful 3rd line, but they are far better suited to playing 4th line minutes.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Is it fair to pick on DBD here? They are just frustrated fans with hopes and dreams like every other poster here.
Their myopic blindness draws me offsides way too often but I cannot let it go unchallenged. This is a group that said don't worry we won't miss Richards that much. Now it's don't worry we won't miss Ribeiro, somehow Morrow is not a completely worthless drag on the roster and this team cannot do without Ott's leadership, chippiness or Robidas', whatever the hell Robidas does.

No matter what happens they believe in the team and Joe Niewendyk in particular. "Trading Riberio must be part of a plan." That may or may not be true. After Heika trashed Ribs it's more than obvious they took a deal they liked because come hell or high water Ribs was not going to be here next season. Whether it was part of some grand master plan is very much yet to be seen.

Quote:
I do think it is a fair point that absent future apendectomies, Benn will play with better linemates and get more time on the PP, therefore increasing his point production in a way that may not be linked to an increase in team results. Changing from Burish/Ott to Eriksson/Ryder should be good for a few points at least.
Benn has missed 10 or more games in each of the last two seasons. I'm not saying he's injury prone but considering this roster if that happens things could turn ugly for a few weeks or more. Also are they committed to a stacked first line and whoever's left over on the 2nd? Benn's probably going to play with at least one of Eriksson/Ryder and both are light years better than Burish and Ott but let's not declare the mega line a done deal we see who the heck is 2nd line material on this roster.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Their myopic blindness draws me offsides way too often but I cannot let it go unchallenged. This is a group that said don't worry we won't miss Richards that much. Now it's don't worry we won't miss Ribeiro, somehow Morrow is not a completely worthless drag on the roster and this team cannot do without Ott's leadership, chippiness or Robidas', whatever the hell Robidas does.

No matter what happens they believe in the team and Joe Niewendyk in particular. "Trading Riberio must be part of a plan." That may or may not be true. After Heika trashed Ribs it's more than obvious they took a deal they liked because come hell or high water Ribs was not going to be here next season. Whether it was part of some grand master plan is very much yet to be seen.

Benn has missed 10 or more games in each of the last two seasons. I'm not saying he's injury prone but considering this roster if that happens things could turn ugly for a few weeks or more. Also are they committed to a stacked first line and whoever's left over on the 2nd? Benn's probably going to play with at least one of Eriksson/Ryder and both are light years better than Burish and Ott but let's not declare the mega line a done deal we see who the heck is 2nd line material on this roster.
He will get the top PP minutes. If the pp improves slightly, his production goes up no matter his even strength linemates. Also his injuries were flukes IMO: concussion in 1st game against Islanders, appendix bursts, skate cut.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
He will get the top PP minutes. If the pp improves slightly, his production goes up no matter his even strength linemates. Also his injuries were flukes IMO: concussion in 1st game against Islanders, appendix bursts, skate cut.
Those were all freak accidents. Only thing that worries me is the concussions, but those don't seem very severe at all.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:36 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
GM Joe Nieuwendyk:

Quote:
“Mike did a lot of good things and kept our franchise extremely competitive through difficult times in a lot of ways. He’s a highly creative player who will be a good asset for the Washington Capitals,” said Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk. “From our standpoint, we’ve been looking to go in a different direction and we had the chance to acquire a young, emerging center who has already been through the development, and is now NHL-ready. It just made a lot of sense for us

“He’s the type of player that does anything to help the team win. His work ethic will be there,” said Nieuwendyk. “He’s a very versatile player; he plays with a lot of energy and a lot of passion. I don’t like to get too caught up in the second- and third-line stuff, but he is a player who can help us.”

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I guess I'll be alternating cheering for the Newfie and the Ginger.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:03 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I'm actually pretty excited to see what he brings to the table. If nothing else it's a bit of excitement of the unknown.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Same. I have zero expectations this upcoming season. I don't even care if we sign Parise... This team needs an identity and it's going to take a while.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Captain Awesome

So I put my GCL to good use to get an impression of Eakin. Honestly, not too impressed. He seems to like shooting from the top of the left circle and scored a few goals there. Didn't really show too much of an impressive passing acumen, in fact in the little I watched he turned it over a decent bit. He seemed fairly good at battling along the boards, and I saw him take no face offs since he plays left wing for the Caps last year in the all the bits I saw. I noticed he scored a goal against Dallas early in the season and it made me wonder if that's what left an impression on Joe.

He really didn't look very NHL ready, didn't ever seem that comfortable to me. He does seem to have some decent offensive instincts and I noticed he likes it around the net despite his size. I'll withhold judgement on his NHL readiness until the season starts, but he most definitely didn't look like 2nd line center material to me, or third for that matter. I'm hoping he just really sucks on wing, he didn't do much for me. I'm sure our scouts saw something in him that they really liked and that he'll turn into that, but I think George McPhee probably just shrugged his shoulders and gave him up without much of a thought.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Troy McClure

Took me a while to figure out you weren't talking about watching him play on your PS3.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Captain Awesome

That's where I learned all my pro scouting skills.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:15 PM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
Yo could now make the argument that Ribeiro being moved now amounts to one year at 5 mil of Ribeiro for Eakin, 2nd, and Whitney. turns into a steal, yes?

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:19 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisforaaron83 View Post
Yo could now make the argument that Ribeiro being moved now amounts to one year at 5 mil of Ribeiro for Eakin, 2nd, and Whitney. turns into a steal, yes?
Not a steal, but a very smart move by Dallas to use Ribs money for Whitney.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:20 PM
ScubaSteve*

Great trade. Joe is kicking ass this offseason.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:05 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Riberio interview with the Caps:

http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videoc...ed-share-video

Says he knew he was probably going to be traded after they failed to make the POs 4 years in a row. "They changed coaches twice, next to go is the top salary/top players."

Says he's excited to play on the Caps for the PP, with two right handed guys in Ovie and Green. Sure doesn't seem like he thinks he contributed at all to the #30 PP last season, lol.

Talks a lot about being good defensively is the #1 important thing for him. We heard similar last year too though, and we all see how that turned out.

Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 07-14-2012 at 06:17 PM.