HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Trade Weber?

Old
07-12-2012, 10:57 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
If you're a team that should be competing for a playoff spot (and I'd think most, if not all, teams would be in that category in July), then for the most part, you keep your pending UFAs until the deadline and see where your team is then. However, when you're talking about franchise players like Weber, those decisions have to be made a year earlier than they would with any ordinary top 4D/top 6F.

Teams aren't giving up quality roster players or blue-chip prospects at the deadline for pending UFAs. Priority #1 should obviously be in signing him long term, but if he isn't willing to do so, then he should be traded this offseason. Waiting until the deadline or possibly letting him walk for nothing are not options IMO.

07-13-2012, 06:47 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Is Colin Wilson projected to be a second line center? Because for Staal and Stepan we need a decent second line center in return.
You're getting arguably the best defenseman in hockey for Staal and Stepan, we don't need to add Wilson to this deal at all. If anything, the Rangers are going to have to add to this deal to pry Weber from us.

And to our poster who thought we should throw Wilson into the deal, you seriously undervalue Wilson and Weber both if you think those two for Staal and Stepan is a fair deal for us.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:26 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And to our poster who thought we should throw Wilson into the deal, you seriously undervalue Wilson and Weber both if you think those two for Staal and Stepan is a fair deal for us.
I agree that you shouldn't have to add Wilson to the deal to get Staal and Stepan, but IMO, Wilson's value on the trade market is quite low. You can thank his defensive effort and Trotz for that.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You're getting arguably the best defenseman in hockey for Staal and Stepan, we don't need to add Wilson to this deal at all. If anything, the Rangers are going to have to add to this deal to pry Weber from us.

Then you can't get Stepan, we don't have organizational depth to trade him unless a second line center is coming back the other way.

As I have said before, Rangers can do:

Staal, Haglein, 1 or 2 prospects/1 or 2 picks.

But if the Predators want Stepan, you guys have to throw back a second line center. If you guys want forwards as the primary centerpiece, you are better off dealing with the Flyers.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 07-13-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Wilson isn't a second line center anyway

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Habanero514

I wouldn't trade Weber if the offer ain't good!

Detroit wants him so badly. I'd see who they would be willing to package for Weber.

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Ryan Whitney, Jeff Petry, Ales Hemsky and 2013 1st? Petry could be a 40-point defender next year at age 24, Hemsky is a top-line winger that would add a playmaking dynamic, and the 1st is the requisite future. Whitney's been everything from a #2 to a #5 during his NHL career, and Nashville could be the ideal environment for him to rebound from surgery.

Erat-Fisher-Hemsky
Hornqvist-Legwand-Kostitsyn
Bourque-Smith-Wilson
Spaling-Gaustad-Halischuk

Gill-Klein
Whitney-Petry
Josi-Blum

Rinne
That top pairing is brutal. Two guys who can't move the puck if someone held guns to their heads.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Any link to this announcement of Poile's travel plans?

HFB grapevine recently revealed, Weber is finally tying the knot this summer with Kelowna's Miss Bailey Munro.

Dual purpose trip for Poile with special "wedding gift" in hand?
OMG...can anyone quickly find out how this Miss Bailey Munro feels about Nashville, and if all of her "family " is living in Canada. We all know how such questions NEED to be answered.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:49 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
OMG...can anyone quickly find out how this Miss Bailey Munro feels about Nashville, and if all of her "family " is living in Canada. We all know how such questions NEED to be answered.
I can't wait until he hits unrestricted free agency.

"My wife is from Kelowna, so that's why I signed with the Canucks." Then he can be just like Suter!

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Ryan Whitney, Jeff Petry, Ales Hemsky and 2013 1st? Petry could be a 40-point defender next year at age 24, Hemsky is a top-line winger that would add a playmaking dynamic, and the 1st is the requisite future. Whitney's been everything from a #2 to a #5 during his NHL career, and Nashville could be the ideal environment for him to rebound from surgery.

Erat-Fisher-Hemsky
Hornqvist-Legwand-Kostitsyn
Bourque-Smith-Wilson
Spaling-Gaustad-Halischuk

Gill-Klein
Whitney-Petry
Josi-Blum

Rinne
one of the big four + Petry/Smid.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:08 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I met her once right after she moved here, and at the time she sounded willing but a little apprehensive...of course this was like 2 years ago, she had JUST moved here, and wasn't engaged yet. I do think all of her family is in Canada though, and I'm not sure how many people she's been able to really get to know since she's been here.

On a different note, I just read an article about the owners' initial demands in the CBA negotiations, and among the points were: 10 seasons in the NHL before going UFA, and contracts limited to 5 years.

(Edit: I'm an idiot and for some reason was thinking Shea is a UFA when I originally posted, now I'm fixing it...)

....so both of those demands, even if they aren't fully granted, might scare Shea into signing FAST.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
On a different note, I just read an article about the owners' initial demands in the CBA negotiations, and among the points were: 10 seasons in the NHL before going UFA, and contracts limited to 5 years.
Would be awesome for us, but I don't think that the PA will go for that for 1 bit.

I bet we see those 13 year cap-circumvention contracts gone, but no way we get back to 5 year limits.

Also, no way the NHLPA goes for 10 years before UFA.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:27 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Neither of those demands will be given up by the PA, but they do show what points will be the most heavily negotiated. Weber doesn't know what will happen with contract length caps, so if he and his agent are smart they will sign a deal with a team very quickly.

Those being the hotly contested points also protects Weber from a short-term offer sheet. Unless he is an idiot (which is possible), Weber will not sign a 1-3 year offer sheet. That would screw him if he wants a 13-15 year deal. There is no way the cap of 5 years passes, but it is very possible that a cap of 7-10 years is passed. I doubt Weber wants to risk all of those years and all of that money.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:49 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Would be awesome for us, but I don't think that the PA will go for that for 1 bit.

I bet we see those 13 year cap-circumvention contracts gone, but no way we get back to 5 year limits.

Also, no way the NHLPA goes for 10 years before UFA.
Of course they won't go for that...but it's a safe bet that at least one of those things will change to some degree (although not the degree the owners are asking for), and not in Weber's favor.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:50 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
I wouldn't trade Weber if the offer ain't good!

Detroit wants him so badly. I'd see who they would be willing to package for Weber.
Poile would get more for other teams in the league than what Holland would most likely offer for him.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
Poile would get more for other teams in the league than what Holland would most likely offer for him.
Even if the Wings had the best offer on the table, Poile would almost definitely take a lesser offer just to avoid trading him to Detroit.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:52 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Nashville need to keep Weber unless it's an "unrefusable offer" . The guys is 1 of the current best in the entire league plus he's an absolute beast every shift. Good skater, nice puck mover, decent shot , physical and very poise with good hockey i.q. He simply can do it all unlike 95% of hockey players.. He is a cornerstone that teams need to build around and those players do NOT get traded unless the return is ridiculous.. Hope he stays put.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:58 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Nashville need to keep Weber unless it's an "unrefusable offer" . The guys is 1 of the current best in the entire league plus he's an absolute beast every shift. Good skater, nice puck mover, decent shot , physical and very poise with good hockey i.q. He simply can do it all unlike 95% of hockey players.. He is a cornerstone that teams need to build around and those players do NOT get traded unless the return is ridiculous.. Hope he stays put.
Not 100% in Nashville's control at this point. I hope Nashville is able to lock him up and build around him, but it would be reckless of management to ignore the fact that if Weber doesn't sign long-term, he's UFA next season and is looking like he might move out.

Nashville can't lose Weber right after Suter without getting anything in return. And if other teams are thinking that Weber isn't likely to sign for them long-term either, then that affects how good a return Poile can ask for.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Listen, I know your feel bro. The Oilers watched the best defender in the game at the time demand a trade. But I can tell you no team that traded Pronger '05 on got anything close to a player at the level of one of the Big Four. It's going to be the same with Weber; the Predators have zero leverage to ask for such a package and they won't get it. It'll hurt, your team will have a major hole to fill, it may take some time to return to contention. But it's inevitable so long as Weber resists all attempts at re-signing... and the sooner Poile makes a move, the sooner the Predators and their fans can move on.
1. Weber has not demanded a trade.
2. Weber has to stay here for a year. We don't have "zero leverage".
3. Weber is not "resisting all attempts at re-signing". He and Poile are talking.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
1. Weber has not demanded a trade.
2. Weber has to stay here for a year. We don't have "zero leverage".
3. Weber is not "resisting all attempts at re-signing". He and Poile are talking.
If he won't sign long term then he's pulling a Jordan Staal on you. Shero saw what was coming and moved fast, if I were Poile I would do the same. As for "leverage" if the Preds do trade him no team is going to make that deal unless they know he'll sign long term with them. I think that's what Bugg is getting at.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I have no real dog in this fight. But I will say that if Weber were to be traded to Edmonton(with an agreement to sign there long term-yeah pie in the sky), they would certainly have to give up one of their big 4.

The Flyers/Rangers/Red Wings/Vancouver will all offer significantly better packages than what was hypothetically offered from the Edmonton poster.

Honestly, Nashville is a better team than Edmonton, why the hell would he want to go there?

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:53 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
That top pairing is brutal. Two guys who can't move the puck if someone held guns to their heads.
Not to mention Gill couldn't outskate a turtle.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:12 AM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Not to mention Gill couldn't outskate a turtle.
Be fair, now. He can out-skate SOME turtles...

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:19 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If he won't sign long term then he's pulling a Jordan Staal on you. Shero saw what was coming and moved fast, if I were Poile I would do the same. As for "leverage" if the Preds do trade him no team is going to make that deal unless they know he'll sign long term with them. I think that's what Bugg is getting at.
The return for Staal was pretty impressive though, right? They did not get one big superstar player, but they did not sell him undr worth. And not only had he refused to extend with the Pens, he had also made the one team he wanted to go to public knowledge. I understand the worry about whether or not he will re-sign, but I would not get too down about the possible return yet.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
The return for Staal was pretty impressive though, right? They did not get one big superstar player, but they did not sell him undr worth. And not only had he refused to extend with the Pens, he had also made the one team he wanted to go to public knowledge. I understand the worry about whether or not he will re-sign, but I would not get too down about the possible return yet.
Pretty impressive? I thought so too but if the standard being set by Preds fans is a young star player like Hall or Skinner then I think they're in for a big disappointment. Hey, for their sake I hope I'm wrong, I hope they get the stars and the moon for him; they deserve it after having lost so many great players in the last few years.

Not for a second do I believe that's happening though. They'll get a 1st round pick, one or two good but not great roster players, and/or 1 or 2 very good (but not spectacular) prospects. If I'm wrong about this I'll come back here to eat some crow.

FTR, I think Bugg's proposal was a bit too little. I would have offered Gagner/Hemsky (choose 1), Petry/Smid (choose 1, personally I'd take Petry), Paajarvi/Marancin (choose 1), and a 1st. If you guys actually trade him and get a better deal from another team, I'll be the 1st to admit I was wrong.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote