HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yay or Nay?

View Poll Results: Do you like the salary cap?
Yes 27 58.70%
No 19 41.30%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2012, 06:33 PM
  #1
Z40
High Compete Level
 
Z40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
Yay or Nay?

With all the debate that Mindfly's thread has created, I thought I'd get straight to the point and find out who is for or against the salary cap.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:48 PM
  #2
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,326
vCash: 500
biased Wings fan here saying: No, I don't care for it.

Teams like Phoenix and Jersey getting as deep as they did is meh for me. Don't care to see this diluted "competition". Let the people that want to sink money into good, winning hockey teams do so. This isn't a board game where everyone gets a roll of the dice and picks up a card. Its the real world, a business, where you play to win. If Phoenix can't support a team, why bother ruining it for everyone else? There are maybe ~10-15k people who actually really care down there, as opposed to the millions who would care if a Wings, Leafs, Rangers team were to fold. Doesn't make sense to ruin it for everyone else just because Phoenix and Atlanta , etc. can't support a team.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:56 PM
  #3
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,325
vCash: 500
Yes.

The health of the entire NHL is important and the salary cap promotes that.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:59 PM
  #4
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
This isn't a board game where everyone gets a roll of the dice and picks up a card. Its the real world, a business, where you play to win.
It's funny you say this, because the NHL is more profitable since switching to the salary cap.

So I guess the guys who are investing the money are... playing to win. It's a profit venture.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:01 PM
  #5
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
It's funny you say this, because the NHL is more profitable since switching to the salary cap.

So I guess the guys who are investing the money are... playing to win. It's a profit venture.
Fair enough. I don't really follow the economics of the NHL too closely, it was more logical to me that teams like PHX and ATL would be bleeding money. I just mainly miss the glory days when we could afford to pay depth players millions

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:02 PM
  #6
JackieTreehorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
someone in the other read said you cant have a hard cap and revenue sharing and I agree with this. Its one or the other. Revenue sharing with a hard cap is just welfare.

Id rather not ave a cap but I dont thinks its terrible if they do one of the above. Lower the floor too, so teams like that cant put butts in the seats no matter the product dont have to spend as much as they are.

JackieTreehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:19 PM
  #7
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Revenue sharing with a hard cap is just welfare.
Break down that word.

The health, happiness, and fortunes of a person or group.

I know AM radio has demonized the word welfare in the American vernacular, but it's actually a pretty good thing when you're talking the health of the league.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:26 PM
  #8
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
Do I like the salary cap as a Wings fan? No. Is it necessary to promote a challenging, even league. Absolutely.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:50 PM
  #9
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,784
vCash: 500
Nah, it's a load of rubbish. Survival of the fittest, biatches.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:55 PM
  #10
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Break down that word.

The health, happiness, and fortunes of a person or group.

I know AM radio has demonized the word welfare in the American vernacular, but it's actually a pretty good thing when you're talking the health of the league.
Amen.

As for the cap, do I like it? Meh. Is it necessary? Yes.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:24 PM
  #11
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Under the Bridge
Posts: 4,264
vCash: 500
What Bench said... well, mostly because I'm too dumb to come up with something pertinent to say on the matter.

As much as I want the Wings to win the Cup every year, the fact that every team is afforded a fighting chance makes the league a viable business proposition. I mean, who in their right mind would want to own a team where one or two win it all every year because they have Steveloads of money?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:52 PM
  #12
JackieTreehorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Break down that word.

The health, happiness, and fortunes of a person or group.

I know AM radio has demonized the word welfare in the American vernacular, but it's actually a pretty good thing when you're talking the health of the league.
In a soft cap system the penalty for going over the cap is revenue sharing.

In a hard cap paying into revenue sharing is being penalized for being successful, good management or a desirable location or a combo of any other factors. I dont see any rhyme or reason as to having revenue sharing under a hard cap.

JackieTreehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:27 AM
  #13
aar000n
Registered User
 
aar000n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
It's funny you say this, because the NHL is more profitable since switching to the salary cap.

So I guess the guys who are investing the money are... playing to win. It's a profit venture.
Thata because they charge as much to see the games so you have less money going out and meaning more profit.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:28 AM
  #14
Xvash2
Registered User
 
Xvash2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,073
vCash: 500
We're just bitter that we're not able to throw $20 million each at Suter and Parise to get them :p The cap is fine.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:09 AM
  #15
Trvp Lord
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Cap makes things more competitive. I prefer cap.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:11 AM
  #16
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,065
vCash: 500
Yes, it keeps the salaries of players from getting to where they were 10 years ago.. though, i'd be more comfortable with a cap that goes no higher than 65m..

If the player's share stays at 57%, use the extra money towards more money in pensions or research on concussions.. Just, something useful

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:57 AM
  #17
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,345
vCash: 500
I hate an absolute hard cap. A luxury tax system like the NBA is superior. Fake parity is a joke.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:04 AM
  #18
ZDatsZuke
optimistic
 
ZDatsZuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Wales
Posts: 429
vCash: 550
Yes. It speeds up the growth of the game in lesser markets, making the NHL stronger.

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.