HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban VS Doughty

View Poll Results: Can Subban be a better offensive D man than Drew Doughty ?
Yes 79 40.31%
No 117 59.69%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-12-2012, 03:16 AM
Gally11

vCash: 500
I think Doughty is better than Subban that's not really debatable right now, I mean he just had a great playoff.. But I don't know if I'd trade Subban for Doughty.. It's clear that Subban has the same potential offensively as Doughty but based on the what I've seen from Doughty (not as much as Subban obviously) I feel like Subban as more things he can bring to his game, I'm not sure I've ever seen Doughty crush someone the same way Subban has, and over the last two years (minus those mindless blind passes Subban tends to make sometimes) he's become pretty solid in his own end and is only going to get better. Subban is also a player with the type of mentality to handle the pressure here. It's going to be interesting to see who's better in their prime, especially when the Habs have some more elite talent up front.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Gally11

Let's not forget this was his first year

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:02 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

doughty can crush people. i don't think he's as physical as subban, but the guy can lay out some serious hits

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:27 AM
SOLR

The question is about being a better offensive D man.

Yes I believe Subban is a better offensive D-man than Doughty. No doubt in my mind. I think he's more creative than Doughty and I think he has far more potential to change a game offensively. Subban imo, can get Karlsson numbers, I don't see Doughty in that realm.

However, Doughty is the better D. If I'm forced between picking between the 2, Doughty wins the spot on the ice. He's better defensively, he's better in the neutral zone, he's better at winning at least right now.

Doughty compares to Markov not to Subban.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:51 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I just find it funny how every year, it's the same thing. A team wins the Stanley Cup or makes a good playoff run and all of a sudden, their players from that run go up in value 10-fold.

Doughty is a great defenceman, and Quick is a fabulous goaltender, but if the Kings go out in the first round, how many people take Quick and Doughty over Subban and Price?

I'm not saying what they did shouldn't be commended because it's not easy to win a cup, but in the end, they hit a hot stretch of about 20-25 games at the right time. It can happen to anyone (remember Edmonton, Calgary, in the finals a few years back).

I take Subban over Doughty. I'll be the first to admit that it's probably a homer vote because Doughty likely is a step ahead at this point, but I love PK's character and I think the quality difference between them at this point is fairly negligible.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Tacos
Wheeeee

Anyone playing D in the league has the ability to surpass Doughty, but will it happen? Not likely.
Subban will be a great deal of fun to watch as he grows, but why can't we just appreciate that in the time being instead of comparing our players to established guys all the time?

Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

Subban suffered a bit of the sophomore jinx last season, it's difficult to gauge the 2 head to head. Any troll would likely laugh at the suggestion. I wouldn't laugh. IMO, we're going to find out the answer to this question this coming season.

Athlétique_Canadien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlétique_Canadien View Post
Subban suffered a bit of the sophomore jinx last season, it's difficult to gauge the 2 head to head. Any troll would likely laugh at the suggestion. I wouldn't laugh. IMO, we're going to find out the answer to this question this coming season.
Are we? If we're going to use something that isn't even a real tangible thing like "sophomore jynx" how about Fatigue from having 2 months less rest than PK? Will we overlook that next year? Reality is, it really isn't that simple, if you're gonna use excuses for PK, there's excuses for doughty. He didn't have a training camp last year for one. I'm not on doughty's side here, but we gotta present the facts fairly. We may not even know the truth next year as Doughty already has an excuse in his favour, especially if we count sophomore jynx as a legit excuse.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:42 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Last year we were starving for offence.....I really believe he could have made a difference.......................SO tell me this, everyone LOVES it when Doughty gets it done offensively, so why not Subban ? As for Bobby Orr I was young but I do remember him. Subban has the ability to be today`s Bobby Orr.
You really need to start dealing with those voices in your head young man. Subban is todays version of Bobby Orr ? There hasn't been a version of Orr since.... well since Bobby Orr retired. If you are old enough to remember Orr playing, that would make you roughly 35-40 years old, no ? And you're not embaressed to make a statement like that ? I don't ever recall Orr making the dumbass blunders that Subban repetes over and over again. Subban is nothing more than bells and whistles with no substance to his game, oh sure, keeps the hab fans buzzing with his zainey and wackey antics. Please under no circumstances should you mention the names of Orr and Subban in the same sentence again.

shack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
Subban is nothing more than bells and whistles with no substance to his game, oh sure, keeps the hab fans buzzing with his zainey and wackey antics. Please under no circumstances should you mention the names of Orr and Subban in the same sentence again.
*Sigh*

It's always one extreme or the other eh?

One guy compares him to Orr, the next smart guy says he is all bells and whistles, no substance.

Both wrong, but I digress, thus the curse of the internet, everyone gets a voice.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:51 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
You really need to start dealing with those voices in your head young man. Subban is todays version of Bobby Orr ? There hasn't been a version of Orr since.... well since Bobby Orr retired. If you are old enough to remember Orr playing, that would make you roughly 35-40 years old, no ? And you're not embaressed to make a statement like that ? I don't ever recall Orr making the dumbass blunders that Subban repetes over and over again. Subban is nothing more than bells and whistles with no substance to his game, oh sure, keeps the hab fans buzzing with his zainey and wackey antics. Please under no circumstances should you mention the names of Orr and Subban in the same sentence again.
Yeah, Subban pours gatorade into player's bottles in between periods and provides comedic relief to the team.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlétique_Canadien View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I think Drew Doughty is one fine hockey player and one of the best D man in the NHL. BUT watching Don Cherry compare him to Bobby Orr made me gag. IMO Subban has much more offensive skills that are much more Orr like. The question IS, will Therrien cut Subban loose and let him get back to playing his game ? WHY is it that it`s totally awesome when Doughty breaks down the wing leaving his spot on the blueline open BUT, when Subban does it he`s "taking too many chances" ??? IMO no other D man in the league can see the ice and make offensive plays happen like Subban. Martin totally changed Subban`s style of play imo.....We have enough "stay at home" D men, time to let him play up to his full potiential. What are your thoughts, agree or disagree ?
LOL... Doughty has far more superior offensive AND defensive skills than Subban and he's still younger... He just won a Stanley Cup and quite frankly if it weren't for Quicks' unbelievable play Doughty would've won the Conn Smythe. BTW I can name a boatload of defensemen that are better offensively than Subban. Doughty, Karlsson, Letang, Weber, Edler, Green, Del Zotto for starters.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:59 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
...if the Kings go out in the first round, how many people take Quick and Doughty over Subban and Price?
You have trouble assessing talent if you don't.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:21 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Subban's strongest asset is actually his defense. His PP QB-ing abilities are non-existent(he needs to be fed by a guy like Wiz).

MoldyCakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
habsfanatics

I find we have the 2nd most embarrassing fan base in all of hockey.

Is Dion Phaneuf the NHL's best defenseman?

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Has everything to be better defensively. Not offensively.

Really few are better than P.K. at one on one.

Doesnt make him better than doughty.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATT187 View Post
LOL... Doughty has far more superior offensive AND defensive skills than Subban and he's still younger... He just won a Stanley Cup and quite frankly if it weren't for Quicks' unbelievable play Doughty would've won the Conn Smythe. BTW I can name a boatload of defensemen that are better offensively than Subban. Doughty, Karlsson, Letang, Weber, Edler, Green, Del Zotto for starters.
Green? Del Zotto? They're not even among the top two defensemen on their given teams.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:22 PM
tinyzombies

PK can definitely be the better player, but Drew has room to improve as well. I live in LA now and have seen Drew's progression. There's lots to criticize and I find that he's overrated. He did raise his defensive game several notches in the second half this year and was night and day from last season where he was out of position all the time.

Offensively, PK has a much better shot. Both are not very wise about using it right now. Drew is more creative with the puck, but PK can also play that game. Both are great skaters, I'll give the edge to PK on agility. Physically, about the same, tho DD has a few more pounds.

Time will tell. If PK ever gets a team around him to support, you never know. DD had Scuderi. Scuderi is a rock. PK had to be both the rock and the offense.

If Markov is healthy, we'll see PK's game blossom whether they play together or not (likely not).

I would sign him up for 10 years right now.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Green? Del Zotto? They're not even among the top two defensemen on their given teams.
Yes, but they are more proven offensive players than Subban.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:33 AM
reffree

Subban has a great shot and skate really well, but Doughty outproduce him everywhere (NHL, OHL) and there's a reason why. If physical skills were the most important things to produce guys like Chad Kilger would have outscored guys like Marc Savard.

I'm with the most down to earth guys here, I see Subban peak has a 55pts player and Doughty has allready done that.

P.S. for those asking if Doughty can make thunderous hits, I'm surprise you didn't see the Taylor Hall vids, there were a lot of talk about it on hf.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:15 AM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATT187 View Post
Yes, but they are more proven offensive players than Subban.
green yah, but he's much older.
del zotto - 0.431 ppg, 0.103 gpg
subban - 0.475 ppg, 0.131 gpg
green after his first 2 whole seasons - 0.386 ppg, 0.111 gpg

So yah, you're wrong.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Martin did a great job with Subban, I'm not sure how anyone could argue that.

And even tough I don't like Doughty he's clearly the better player of the two right now and I think he'll always be the better one.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:03 AM
NJHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post

Let's not forget this was his first year

He is the best and most exciting player on the team The only reason i watch the Canadiens today.

NJHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:19 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Thats a really homer thread. Only Montreal fans would take Subban over Doughty.

The chances that PK could end up having a better career are extremely thin. As of now Doughty has a considerable head start even if he's younger.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote