HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ana/ott

Old
07-13-2012, 02:04 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

vCash: 500
Ana/ott

I see this as more of an mid-season trade, if a couple things fell into place. The Ducks currently have seven NHL d-men, and also top prospect Sami Vatanen looking like he might be ready. Based on a few different reasons I think Toni Lydman would be the first to get dealt. He is very solid defensively and an adequate puck mover but there are younger players and bigger contracts pushing him out.

Ottawa appears to have seven NHL caliber d-men. For this trade to come to fruition, it would mean one of Lundin/Borowiecki didn't work out or perhaps an injury bug hits. I was thinking something along these lines could work for both teams:

To Ottawa:

D Toni Lydman (Final year - $3MM)

To Anaheim:

LW Colin Greening (2 yrs- 817K)

I like Greening as a player and feel his size and speed would be a great fit in Anaheim. I know he had a solid rookie year but he could get buried on the depth chart in Ottawa easily with the addition of Latendresse and guys like Zibanejad, Silfverberg and Noeson knocking on the door.

I think Anaheim might have to add slightly here but it seems like a solid fit.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:07 PM
airforceones25

Ottawa declines

He is their Devante Smith-Pelly

Last edited by airforceones25: 07-13-2012 at 02:22 PM.
airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
No thank you.

We just traded Foligno for a LD, so this makes no sense. Even if we still had Foligno, i wouldn't do this trade.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Clamshells

Ottawa already traded one of their top 6 forwards for a 3/4 defenceman. Another trade like that would basically constitute gutting the top 6.

Clamshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Sureves

Yeah I don't think Ottawa is interested in this. The value isn't necessarily bad, but players like Greening are not players you want to move.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:52 PM
SpezDispenser

I don't mind the proposal, but to echo the thoughts in this thread: Greening was a rookie last year who scored 17 goals for us despite hitting a mid-season road block from playing so many games the year before (101 split between the NHL and AHL).

He's the kind of smart, big, fast player that we need in Ottawa - especially at his current price tag. Plus, he has the benefit of already knowing Spezza and being able to fill in there if there are injuries.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Good value for both teams
Bad fit however

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:29 PM
broc

I dunno why people are saying good value, I think Greening has much more going for him and much more value than lydman does..

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
I think Lydman needs to be there until Vatanen shows he can hold his own at the NHL level.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:47 PM
DG

Personally not willing to give up Greening for half a year of Lydman. Decent value and I could see why others would do this.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Greening is exactly the powerforward Ottawa has always coveted, he just needs more time. IMO Greening will eventually pass Latendresse on the depth chart if he isn't ahead of him already. Latendresse will have to have a good yr to stay ahead of Greening but it bodes well for Ottawa if both have good yrs.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:37 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I see this as more of an mid-season trade, if a couple things fell into place. The Ducks currently have seven NHL d-men, and also top prospect Sami Vatanen looking like he might be ready. Based on a few different reasons I think Toni Lydman would be the first to get dealt. He is very solid defensively and an adequate puck mover but there are younger players and bigger contracts pushing him out.

Ottawa appears to have seven NHL caliber d-men. For this trade to come to fruition, it would mean one of Lundin/Borowiecki didn't work out or perhaps an injury bug hits. I was thinking something along these lines could work for both teams:

To Ottawa:

D Toni Lydman (Final year - $3MM)

To Anaheim:

LW Colin Greening (2 yrs- 817K)

I like Greening as a player and feel his size and speed would be a great fit in Anaheim. I know he had a solid rookie year but he could get buried on the depth chart in Ottawa easily with the addition of Latendresse and guys like Zibanejad, Silfverberg and Noeson knocking on the door.

I think Anaheim might have to add slightly here but it seems like a solid fit.
Sure it's a great fit for the Ducks. Not Ottawa. Ducks would have to add significantly. Ottawa just traded Foligno, they can't afford to trade Greening.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Whoever said Greening is their DSP has the wisdom of.......Zeus? Jesus? Gandhi? Someone really wise.

That's a great way to look at what Greening is for Ottawa.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:55 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

I don't think Ottawa wants to get back into the rental game yet. Seem to be content staying the course with the rebuild.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Greening is exactly the powerforward Ottawa has always coveted, he just needs more time. IMO Greening will eventually pass Latendresse on the depth chart if he isn't ahead of him already. Latendresse will have to have a good yr to stay ahead of Greening but it bodes well for Ottawa if both have good yrs.
A good 3rd liner is not the powerforward that Ottawa has always coveted. That's what Greening is. He'll turn 27 during this season. How much time does he need? He should be in his prime by now.

Now whether we need Lydman and at what cost is a different matter. To be honest, I have no clue how good or bad Lydman is. I think we could use another experienced Dman but I'd prefer to give some other piece but doubt Condra or Butler gets it done. Outside of our prospect pool, we really don't have much to offer anymore. We made room for them so we pretty much have to stay the course now.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukus View Post
A good 3rd liner is not the powerforward that Ottawa has always coveted. That's what Greening is. He'll turn 27 during this season. How much time does he need? He should be in his prime by now.

Now whether we need Lydman and at what cost is a different matter. To be honest, I have no clue how good or bad Lydman is. I think we could use another experienced Dman but I'd prefer to give some other piece but doubt Condra or Butler gets it done. Outside of our prospect pool, we really don't have much to offer anymore. We made room for them so we pretty much have to stay the course now.
Greening played most of last season on the 1st line & had 37 pts in his rookie season, was an all-star & Ottawa's consideration for rookie of the yr. Although he had no shot at winning the Calder, he was ahead of Cowen for the award from what I read. He is the fastest player on the team, has good size at 6'3", defensively responsible, is a workout fanatic, good character guy & he will fight. He is all the things you need in a powerforward & he has good hockey smarts.

I know most want Greening or powerforwars in general to score 30 goals or more & put up 60 pts plus to get the respect he deserves. But I think Spezza & Michalek both had very good yrs based on a lot of hard work by Greening in the corners & in front of the net doing the dirty work & covering defensively for Spezza so he didn't have to worry so much about that part of the game. Greening is much more valuable to the Senators than a Toni Lydman IMO. In fact, I think he will be even better next season as he is entering his prime, don't forget he spent four yrs in college.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I think Lydman needs to be there until Vatanen shows he can hold his own at the NHL level.
just to add, i think lydman would be a terrific mentor to vatanen as well

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote