HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

2012 Free Agency & 2012-13 Payroll/Contract Limit

Old
07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
With Radek Faksa signing, Dallas has 49 players under contract. Only 46 count toward the 50 contract limit.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:55 PM
BigG44

Current payroll with Tom Wandell:

Roster Size17
Cap Payroll$47,838,611

Old
07-06-2012, 04:12 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Wandell will have the Stars back in bankruptcy court in no time. Way to go, Tom.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:17 AM
BigG44

Updated with Bachman

Roster Size18
Cap Payroll$48,463,611

Old
07-13-2012, 02:21 PM
BigG44

CapGeek released Faksa's numbers.

He got the exact same contract as Oleksiak: max salary and max signing bonus.

Both A bonuses pay $212,500 in Year 1, $575,000 in Year 2, and $637,500 [Cap Geek says $636,500 right now, but that's likely a typo] in Year 3.

His current Cap Hit is $1,400,000 next year it will be $1,369,167, and the final cap hit will probably be $1,338,333.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
BigG44

Dallas has now used 47 of 50 contracts with Fortunus under contract.

Here is the updated cap totals with Larsen added:

Roster Size19
Cap Payroll$49,488,611

Old
07-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
Does 47 contracts include QOs to Benn and Fistric?

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:18 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Does 47 contracts include QOs to Benn and Fistric?
It includes all QO to all RFAs.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:33 PM
BigG44

My final guess for Fistric's contract is 1 year for $1.6 million.

My final guess on Benn is he gets the exact same contract as John Tavares (they both give up 2 years of UFA). That would be a 6 year deal worth $33 million with a cap hit of $5.5 million. They contract pays $4, $5, $6, $6, $6, and $6.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

That would be a fantastic contract for both Benn and Dallas and if that's what they want then there's really no reason to delay or wait for the CBA 6 years won't be outlawed by the players or owners.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:34 PM
BigG44

The CBA stuff makes me not even want to keep up with this right now ....

Anyway ... Colton Sceviour's 2-way contract is for the same NHL money as last season ($525,000) and a $10K raise in the AHL ($85,000).

Old
07-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
My final guess for Fistric's contract is 1 year for $1.6 million.

My final guess on Benn is he gets the exact same contract as John Tavares (they both give up 2 years of UFA). That would be a 6 year deal worth $33 million with a cap hit of $5.5 million. They contract pays $4, $5, $6, $6, $6, and $6.
I'd be ecstatic with that deal, even if Tavares outperforms Benn.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:05 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I'd be ecstatic with that deal, even if Tavares outperforms Benn.
Tavares has been and will continue to outperform Benn. IMO, he's a top 5 center in the world, top 10 player. He's that good.

That said, he's on a steal of a contract, and I think it'd be a steal for Benn as well. Both are/could be 7+ M per year players right now, and those deals will just get better every year.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:44 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
I feel like I could come up with a list of 10 players better than Tavares pretty easily. Bold statement there.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:17 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I feel like I could come up with a list of 10 players better than Tavares pretty easily. Bold statement there.
I think you are correct if he was talking about today, but I do believe Tavares is proving he has the potential in the next few years to challenge for that distinction.

The thing that will hold him back from that level though is the man who owns the Islanders.

Old
07-14-2012, 11:25 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Don't force him to turn AHLers into top 6 wingers and he'd be up there.

PAP and Moulson had a combined 56 games before playing with Tavares. And then they both end up producing almost 70 points once they do play with Tavares. The stats may not be there, but any Islanders' fan or even someone who's watched him regularly can tell you he's just that good. If he played for any other team, he'd be up there already.

Right now, maybe you're right, but I still don't think so.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think you are correct if he was talking about today, but I do believe Tavares is proving he has the potential in the next few years to challenge for that distinction.
Probably, but the statement was made in the present tense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Don't force him to turn AHLers into top 6 wingers and he'd be up there.

PAP and Moulson had a combined 56 games before playing with Tavares. And then they both end up producing almost 70 points once they do play with Tavares. The stats may not be there, but any Islanders' fan or even someone who's watched him regularly can tell you he's just that good. If he played for any other team, he'd be up there already.

Right now, maybe you're right, but I still don't think so.
I'm sure if he played for a big hockey market team like the Dallas Stars he would be more highly regarded...

I don't really want to get into a pissing match between Tavares vs Benn but basically the only thing Tavares has on Benn is that he's two years younger. Even his "AHL'ers" had some degree of scoring pedigree in the minors. Benn played with four brick hands flanking him for the better part of the 2011-12 season and he still managed to put up just below a point per game while getting (what I will assume is) significantly fewer PP opportunities.

I also find it hard to believe that Tavares is better away from the puck than Benn. They should get similar contracts because they're similar upside players. If Tavares has a Giroux-esque season next year and Benn stagnates I may change my tune but until then I feel confident saying I wouldn't swap Benn for Tavares if given the opportunity.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:22 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm sure if he played for a big hockey market team like the Dallas Stars he would be more highly regarded...

I don't really want to get into a pissing match between Tavares vs Benn but basically the only thing Tavares has on Benn is that he's two years younger. Even his "AHL'ers" had some degree of scoring pedigree in the minors. Benn played with four brick hands flanking him for the better part of the 2011-12 season and he still managed to put up just below a point per game while getting (what I will assume is) significantly fewer PP opportunities.

I also find it hard to believe that Tavares is better away from the puck than Benn. They should get similar contracts because they're similar upside players. If Tavares has a Giroux-esque season next year and Benn stagnates I may change my tune but until then I feel confident saying I wouldn't swap Benn for Tavares if given the opportunity.
Not necessarily Dallas, but he's in one of the worst places possible for him. It'll be a while before he has legit top 6 linemates, something Benn will have next year. Even still, Tavares has proven he can score at a PPG pace with guys like Moulson and PAP, and I think no matter who you put him with, he'll be good for at least 70 points a year, most likely more.

Ott had some scoring pedigree in juniors, don't see people using that as an argument very much. Go ahead and tell me they're different leagues, but so is the NHL. Burish didn't have any at all unless you go back to his USHL days, but Benn did play with Eriksson for a fair amount of time as well. Tavares put up better PPG stats (a tenth, to be exact), but he did have about 50 seconds more PP time per 60 and more than 2 points more than Benn in PPP per 60.

Tavares did get an extra 2 minutes a game on the ice, but that will gap will almost certainly close as Benn gets more ice time this year.

The advanced statistics do seem to favor Benn in the long term, but the basic stats favor Tavares. It is extremely close, but I still personally give the advantage to Tavares. I do prefer skill and speed to physicality though, so that's something to remember.

The one major thing Benn does have on Tavares is defense and physicality. He's far ahead in both aspect, that's indisputable. But Tavares is an elite offensive weapon, one of the best in the league. Stats won't tell you that, though, you really have to watch him play to see that. He's one of the few, maybe 3 players (Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos in any order), that'd I'd trade Benn for.

Regardless, both are the futures of their franchises and are incredible players. Couldn't go wrong with either one.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Rune Forumwalker

The remark about Dallas being a big hockey market was obviously sarcasm. I won't get further into that as I don't think I need to.

In regards to Ott's scoring pedigree in juniors, you have to realize who he played with. He played with Spezza back then, and players typically but up very good numbers in juniors and go on to not do much offensively in the NHL. Just look at Daley for a prime example.

There is also a pretty big difference in Tavares and Benn. Tavares put up better numbers vs Benn in their respective rookie, sophmore, and 3rd seasons while being two years younger than him. Sure the last two years they both may have been at the same pace regarding points scored, but Tavares is still a step ahead as Benn has not officially put up 70 points in a season, IMO.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Ya I love Benn as much as anyone but I think Tavares is on another level. No shame in saying that.

Of course next year will really define Benn. He'll have top PP time, first line wingers, etc. It'll be time to see if all those advanced stats were right.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
John Tavares is a top 5 center in this league?

Malkin
Crosby
Datsyuk
Stamkos
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Spezza
Kane
Toews
Bergeron
Getzlaf

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post

Malkin
Crosby
Datsyuk
Stamkos
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Spezza
Kane
Toews
Bergeron
Getzlaf
He's better than all the players except the top 4 you mentioned and it's not inconcievable he passes Datsyuk and Stamkos next season. His skating has improved tenfold every year he's been in the league and for a guy who arguably has the top hockey sense in the league, he's only going to widen the gap.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:02 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:

Malkin
Crosby
Datsyuk
Stamkos
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Spezza
Kane
Toews
Bergeron
Getzlaf
Kane isn't a center.

How can you put Richards and Carter on here and leave off Kopitar...? He's better than all 3 regardless.

Spezza is close, but not quite.

Getzlaf needs to regain his form before he's even considered for top 5.

Bergeron is great, but just not at the level of the others.

Toews is horribly overrated.

Malkin is better, a healthy Crosby is better, Datsyuk is probably about the same, Stamkos is better, Giroux is about the same.

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos

Datsyuk
Giroux
Tavares

The Rest

That's how I see it. 3 tiers, with Tavares joining the 1st in the next couple of years.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Holy crap are you guys serious?

Patrick Kane - http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474141

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:08 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Holy crap are you guys serious?

Patrick Kane - http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474141
Kane at center was a Blackhawks experiment last year. If he stays at center, it's still only been part of one season at the position in the NHL. For the sake of this center list, I deem it fair to leave him out.

Basically agree with LT's list.

If I were to start a team tomorrow (considering health risks, age, development, et al.), I'd take Tavares 3rd after Malkin and Stamkos at center.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote