HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Johnson

View Poll Results: How many points do you think EJ puts up this season?
Less than 25 18 16.36%
25-30 16 14.55%
31-35 39 35.45%
36-40 22 20.00%
More than 40 15 13.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-15-2012, 12:01 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
30+ if he ends up paired with Hejda...but that's something that makes too much sense for Sacco to pull off.

I say under 30 because he'll be counted on too much defensively.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:32 AM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
30+ if he ends up paired with Hejda...but that's something that makes too much sense for Sacco to pull off.

I say under 30 because he'll be counted on too much defensively.
That is also relying on Hejda to have a bounce back season after he just had surgery as well.

I could see it.. But I've also got a feeling that Wilson might get a second chance to show he can do a little more. 21 points in 59 games really isn't anything to sneeze at.

His qualcomp is not that great but hes usually fairly responsible.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:38 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
I voted 31-35.

I'd be very happy with:

8-10g (5 last year)
25-28a (22 last year)
150+ hits (123 last year)
125+ blocked shots (94 last year)
+10 (-7 last year)

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:21 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
when Sacco paired Hejda with EJ they were a trainwreck

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
yup i really hope elliott can stick in the nhl and not be overwhelmed but hes a R shot so i dobt we'll ever see them together

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:00 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes but that was when they were both on a lot of pressure to deliver as the top pairing for the Avs. Hejda just arrived here and wanted to prove that he could handle the job and was trying too hard. EJ wanted to prove that the Avs did the right thing trading for him and that he was better than what he did at the end of the previous year. He was trying too hard as well and he was trying to impress as well to get the C. Since then they both have settled and I would love to see them try one more time together. It's not because something doesn't work once that that you completely drop it. Circumstances changes. Of all our LH dmen, Hejda is still our best bet to play with EJ.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Give them all of training camp to work together. Both are big guys who move well and can both play offensively and defensively. I think it's a great pairing if they could just form a bit of chemistry. That type of thing can't be forced. Give them time and I think it would be a good pairing.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
PeterTheGreat

I'd also like to see them tried together again.

On paper it seems like a natural fit. I think it could work.

Although I still have nightmares of the Dallas OT goal in that 7-6 game.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I'd also like to see them tried together again.

On paper it seems like a natural fit. I think it could work.

Although I still have nightmares of the Dallas OT goal in that 7-6 game.
It was a nightmare for every Av but Duchene; it was a wet dream for him.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Give them all of training camp to work together. Both are big guys who move well and can both play offensively and defensively. I think it's a great pairing if they could just form a bit of chemistry. That type of thing can't be forced. Give them time and I think it would be a good pairing.
Here's hoping Hejda's wrist will be healed and strong enough by then.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
As I said in another thread, since the day EJ got here, I've always been of the opinion that they should pair him with a good defensive defenseman, so he's open to play offensively. However, now I'm starting to believe that they should do the opposite - put a good offensive player next to him, and let EJ play defense.
Would that make him a #2 defenceman though? I think the way he is playing right now is a #2 shutdown defenceman, but I wouldn't be ready to write him off into that yet. In your opinion what is the difference between him becoming a #1 defenceman?

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:01 PM
kento19
@kento19

Honestly, i'm done pretending EJ is god. He is a great point man, no doubt. He can be a premier defenseman in this league but if I could go back in time and do that trade over, I would pass 1000 times over.

Shattenkirk consistently upsets me by how good he is. I would take him over EJ any day and this is the first time I admit that. Then to have Stewart back playing with Staz could do wonders.

It's obviously passed and i need to look ahead to the future. If that trade never happened we would never end up with Siemens or maybe even Landy, but it's hard to forget what we let go. I just hope EJ evolves into what most avs fans think he already is because though he is good, he is nowhere near as good as our fanbase makes him out to be.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:10 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Honestly, i'm done pretending EJ is god. He is a great point man, no doubt. He can be a premier defenseman in this league but if I could go back in time and do that trade over, I would pass 1000 times over.

Shattenkirk consistently upsets me by how good he is. I would take him over EJ any day and this is the first time I admit that. Then to have Stewart back playing with Staz could do wonders.

It's obviously passed and i need to look ahead to the future. If that trade never happened we would never end up with Siemens or maybe even Landy, but it's hard to forget what we let go. I just hope EJ evolves into what most avs fans think he already is because though he is good, he is nowhere near as good as our fanbase makes him out to be.
Shatty is a bummer, but can't help but notice the Blues board and how many of them are ready to send Stewart packing now. His streaky play and on/off physical presence frustrates them too.
Shatty would not necessarily be the same player on this team as he is on the blues, and if Johnson had a complimentary #2 to play with, his numbers and play would be where I think most Avs fans would be happy calling him the #1.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:19 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Shatty is a bummer, but can't help but notice the Blues board and how many of them are ready to send Stewart packing now. His streaky play and on/off physical presence frustrates them too.
Shatty would not necessarily be the same player on this team as he is on the blues, and if Johnson had a complimentary #2 to play with, his numbers and play would be where I think most Avs fans would be happy calling him the #1.
Hey I never once said EJ isn't number 1. He is without a doubt a number 1 centre in this league imo, I just don't think he is where we all try to make ourselves believe he is. He's shown some great play in the past, and who knows, with a proper partner maybe he can shine. He just hasn't completely proved it yet.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Would that make him a #2 defenceman though? I think the way he is playing right now is a #2 shutdown defenceman, but I wouldn't be ready to write him off into that yet. In your opinion what is the difference between him becoming a #1 defenceman?
A dependable partner and some offensive zone sense/skill.

This is why I was - and still am - dead against the Quincey trade. Yes, Quincey was a bonehead at times, and took a lot of stick penalties. But, IMO when Quincey was paired with EJ for a month or so, EJ never looked better offensively. There was something there - some chemistry there - that warranted investigation, IMO. Ah well.

But EJ has just about every hockey skill you'd want a 1st pairing guy to have. He's big, fast, agile, has a good stick, positions himself pretty well, he's physical, and he has a hard shot. I also believe he has good vision and puck movement out of his own zone. All of that said, however - that vision and puck movement has not translated to the offensive zone. His passing there is average, his QB'ing at the point is average at best, and for all of the velocity he can put on a shot, it just rarely seems to make it to the net - even on the power play, where he has more time and space. That latter one simply can't be put at the feet (or skates, if you will) of his defensive teammates. I just don't see these three skills in the offensive zone, and his point totals reflect this. I mean, Barrie has all of these skills (yes, his defense is pretty bad so far), and his point totals reflect it also.

So I'm thinking, if EJ is already a 1st pairing defender (which I think he is), why continue to try and stuff the square peg into the round hole? Let's just let him be that shutdown guy, and pair him with Barrie, or MDZ, or some other offensively talented guy. EJ will still get some points, and the Avs could take advantage of the really good skillsets he does possess.

P.S. I do wish EJ were a little bit meaner in his own crease area.

Last edited by ABasin: 02-18-2013 at 12:29 PM.
ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:25 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:

I would pass on it 10 times out of 10 also. A good player came here, but it cost too much.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:27 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Stewart is streaky, but some good players are. He's also scoring at a 33 goal/60 point pace right now, so StL fans can't really be all that upset about it.

Shattenkirk is playing stellar offensive hockey.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:30 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Hey I never once said EJ isn't number 1. He is without a doubt a number 1 centre in this league imo, I just don't think he is where we all try to make ourselves believe he is. He's shown some great play in the past, and who knows, with a proper partner maybe he can shine. He just hasn't completely proved it yet.
I understood your point.
I was merely trying to address more the issue of what we gave up for what we got. Unfortunately, I think the Avs failed to follow up by finding EJ a legitimate partner, and therefore we as Avs fans have to watch STL have success with our former assets while we sit idling in (at best) mediocrity.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Elever
Hth

Erik Johnson is not a bust. Erik Johnson is the reason you don't draft Seth Jones #1 btw for those of you drooling over that kid.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
I hated the trade as you all know but I see enough in EJ to think with the proper partner and coach he can be an elite defender. Unfortunately he will never get a component partner or coach in Denver. Also the way I see it. We traded shatty, stew and rattie for lando,Johnson,mclement and siemens

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Erik Johnson is not a bust. Erik Johnson is the reason you don't draft Seth Jones #1 btw for those of you drooling over that kid.
We may want to change the name of this thread, as that's really not the point we're discussing now. I suspect as is, it's going to rile some people up.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
I draft Jones #1 with or without EJ. Our backend is a train wreck worse then Sasha Greys

Old
02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
I hated the trade as you all know but I see enough in EJ to think with the proper partner and coach he can be an elite defender. Unfortunately he will never get a component partner or coach in Denver. Also the way I see it. We traded shatty, stew and rattie for lando,Johnson,mclement and siemens
Lando? No, definitely not.

The only trade that lead us to drafting Lando was by letting Anderson go for Elliott.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:42 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
So not watching the player play, but using history to judge your opinion is pretty ludicrous.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Lando? No, definitely not.

The only trade that lead us to drafting Lando was by letting Anderson go for Elliott.
Anderson was helping us get lando too he shattenkirked the bed many a nights before he was traded.