HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would it take to land Bernier ?

Old
07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
Show me a source that Bernier has asked for a trade....
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&so...w=1366&bih=643

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:56 PM
King Joffrey
Phaneuf is dumb.

vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637835

King Joffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

No idea, but it would be a pointless trade.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
Show me a source that Bernier has asked for a trade....
Really?

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:25 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
I recently read Bernier expects to be traded by the LA Kings and i cant say im surprised. They locked up Quick and Bernier is expendable. We do have goalie issues and i believe Bernier can potentially fix that. He's only 23 years old which is fairly young and leaves quite a bit of room for improvement

His save percentage last season was .909 in 16 games and .913 in 25 games in the previous season

He would be a good fit here because of his age, potential and the opportunity he would get to solidify himself as the no.1 goalie

I really hope we can pick him up this year, but what would it cost us to land him ? what would be fair value ?
Why do you want him???

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:34 PM
jrgtml67

Ya this thread should be closed...its not even specualtion...Burke outright said in an interview with Bob McCowan that Bernier would is young and unproven and they are not going that route...which is a no brainer ...they have Reimer who is more proven then Bernier and in my opinion is the real deal; last years knee to the head spelled disaster for the rest of the year...Ben Scrivens though only several NHL games under his belt is the proud owner of a shut out recorded where we gave up 44 or more shots, nevermind the fact in training cap last season he out playerd Reimer and Gus....add to that a stellar AHL season where he won the MVP of the playoffs award, and I think we have 2 goalies this year that will be fighting for backup IF Burke can sign a legit starter for the right price....if not it maybe a blessing in disguise if either Reimer or Scrivens can take the reigns and put on a young goalie show for the ages

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:12 PM
jrgtml67

to make sure my post is very clear...I am not saying I think Reimer and Scrivens could carry the load right now...nor am I saying I dont think Burke shouldnt make a trade; what I am saying is I dont want Burke to give away our farm team or our core guys for a #1 guy....lets say Luongo....he would be great here BUT his contract, and especially what Gillis wants is way too high right now...so until his price comes down I know Burke wont flinch...the only other way we get a goalie is IF whatever team lands Nash or Doan...you could see a team that wasnt open to a trade in the net area be more open and maybe Burke takes advantage of team that needs to drop cap for signing a big FA contract...whatever the case I just hope we make the playoffs next year, no use in speculating ....and finally I hope there is no lockout

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Burkie needs to land a proven #1 goalie.

He said he isn't going to acquire a young, unproven goalie. So that is him indirectly saying he isn't going to acquire Bernier.

Although if we cannot land a #1 goalie before the season starts, then I am all for getting someone like a Steve Mason or Jonathan Bernier as an upgrade over both Gus and Scrivens, as a Reimer/Gus > a Reimer/Scrivens duo in net. So if we go into next season with Reims/Scrivens, then all we did was make our goaltending situation worse.

Bernier or Mason can battle Reims for the #1 spot all season and we get an upgrade in net over last season.

But I am only on board of acquiring Steve Mason or Bernier if we cannot land a proven #1 goalie.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Burkie needs to land a proven #1 goalie.

He said he isn't going to acquire a young, unproven goalie. So that is him indirectly saying he isn't going to acquire Bernier.

Although if we cannot land a #1 goalie before the season starts, then I am all for getting someone like a Steve Mason or Jonathan Bernier as an upgrade over both Gus and Scrivens, as a Reimer/Gus > a Reimer/Scrivens duo in net. So if we go into next season with Reims/Scrivens, then all we did was make our goaltending situation worse.

Bernier or Mason can battle Reims for the #1 spot all season and we get an upgrade in net over last season.

But I am only on board of acquiring Steve Mason or Bernier if we cannot land a proven #1 goalie.
Steve Mason? Wtf?

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Steve Mason? Wtf?
Not many options out there. Who do you recommend we get?

There has been speculation guys like Halak, Backstrom etc are available, but that isn't a for sure thing.

Mason is better overall then any UFA goalie.

Luongo might not waive his NTC to come to Toronto.

Flames don't seem to be rebuilding since they signed Hudler and re signed Stempniak and Sarich etc. So it looks like Kipper won't be moving.

Mason is young, big upside and I think can be a starting goalie in this league (inconsistent one), so him and Reimer can battle for the #1 position, plus Mason is an upgrade over Gus so we improve in net.

He would come cheap since he hasn't played well over the past few seasons, and maybe a change of scenery and playing in a defensive system will do him good and he can bounce back.

As I said, I wouldn't be against acquiring him if we cannot land a proven #1 goalie. Mason/Reimer duo > Reimer/Scrivens.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote