HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
LetsGoBears

vCash: 500
Souray signed with Ducks for 11 million over 3 years. Glad to hear it! He was nothing but a class act in Hershey.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

random hilarity courtesy of the twitters: bwahahaha!

Old
07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Didn't see it mentioned here, but the Bruins signed Exelby to a 1-yr, $600K, 2-way contract today. Poor guy. The concussions really ruined his game.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:25 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Well, based in the recent tweets by McKenzie, Lavoie, and Brooks, it doesn't look good for the season starting kn time. The NHL's proposal is absurd.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Well, based in the recent tweets by McKenzie, Lavoie, and Brooks, it doesn't look good for the season starting kn time. The NHL's proposal is absurd.
Well lets just hope that is just their opening position where they stated their desired changes in those important areas. The NHLPA can now return with an equally absurd position and then the actual negotiating can begin and hopefully both sides can find something they can live with.

But yeah almost 20% less from revenue, 10 years to UFA status, max of 5 year contracts at all the same rate, and 5 year ELCs is pretty ridiculous.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:59 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well lets just hope that is just their opening position where they stated their desired changes in those important areas. The NHLPA can now return with an equally absurd position and then the actual negotiating can begin and hopefully both sides can find something they can live with.

But yeah almost 20% less from revenue, 10 years to UFA status, max of 5 year contracts at all the same rate, and 5 year ELCs is pretty ridiculous.
Weirder things have happened, but I can't see the NHL seeing that as anything but dreamland.

I love their attempt at trying to do away with cap bypassing contracts. This NHL practice of knowing the exact issues and coming up with these half ass solutions is getting old. "A what you're paid is what your cap hit is" will never fly. I think that is the best way to handle it, but something like a contract never dropping below 50% of the highest year seems fair. It does allow some flexibility, but shouldn't allow this ******** of contracts dropping around 9 million. A length limit could help also, but I'm not to sure where each side stands on that and how feasible it is.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Devil Dancer

I haven't seen any talk of rule or enforcement changes with the new CBA, which is a little disappointing. I was hoping we might see a renewed commitment to enforcement, the way we did after the last lockout, and a corresponding uptick in scoring.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

For all intents and purposes, Brooks is an NHLPA mouthpiece. He's clearly picked which side of the issue he's on. The NHL is facing Don Fehr, it has to come in guns blazing if it wants get a deal that's in any way favorable to the league.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:21 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I haven't seen any talk of rule or enforcement changes with the new CBA, which is a little disappointing. I was hoping we might see a renewed commitment to enforcement, the way we did after the last lockout, and a corresponding uptick in scoring.
The rules coming out of the lock out were because of the NHL, the NHLPA had no say in them.

The scariest thing about this new CBA is the fact the representing players probably average out to below 1m in salary.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:32 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post

I could not agree more with this statement. The NHL is completely disrespecting its players with a proposal like that. Could you imagine being a rookie being put on a team such as the Columbus Blue Jackets, who have had very little success as a franchise, and not being an UFA for 10 years of your career?

Old
07-15-2012, 10:39 PM
artilector

I was thinking about this before, why don't they give "home" teams an advantage of say only 90% of the contract counts against the cap? That way you don't need to make players 10 year indentured servants to a team, but you still give teams that draft well a sizeable advantage. Just a thought..

Old
07-16-2012, 12:07 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I was thinking about this before, why don't they give "home" teams an advantage of say only 90% of the contract counts against the cap? That way you don't need to make players 10 year indentured servants to a team, but you still give teams that draft well a sizeable advantage. Just a thought..
Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about a team being able to pay extra to a star but remain closer to a team imposed salary cap. Helping a team keep a superstar could be a move that helps it become profitable and spend more I guess.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:19 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
As a side effect, though, you'd either be hurting the trade value of your home grown players or you'd be setting up a system whereby sign-and-trades a la NBA become more prevalent, depending on how you deal with contracts that are signed with the draft team but then moved elsewhere.

But I like the concept in general.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:03 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1226199

Stop the insanity, vote for Nicky!

Old
07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
The Karlsson insanity is leaking everywhere on that team. Spezza is an above average center but not top five. Nicky is.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
The Karlsson insanity is leaking everywhere on that team. Spezza is an above average center but not top five. Nicky is.
No its the vicious circle.

Ovechkin sucks, he's only good cause Backstrom!

Backstrom sucks, hes only good cause Ovechkin!

Semin sucks, hes only good cause Ovechkin and Backstrom!

Green, oh he's Canadian, he means everything to that teams offense, but he sucks defensively!

Old
07-16-2012, 11:28 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Now on NHL Network:

"Ovechkin: The GR8
The Washington center is profiled."

NHL is so bush league.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
To me its about time the owners took a stand. They are the ones taking 99% of the risk.

But you are right about the season...Fehr+Owner's initial proposal+clueless players+owners who can't control themselves=Long long abrasive talks

No season next year is my thought

Old
07-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Carlzner

Quincey, 3.75AAV..... Yikes.

I'm scared as to what Carlson will get.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:02 PM
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
To me its about time the owners took a stand. They are the ones taking 99% of the risk.

But you are right about the season...Fehr+Owner's initial proposal+clueless players+owners who can't control themselves=Long long abrasive talks

No season next year is my thought
Maybe they could follow a Marxist model. All the owners wouldn't actually own a specific team. They would each own 1/30 of a share. That way no one would lose money.

Just thinking outside the box.

I'm resigned to either a short season or no season. Off to Sweden, or Switzerland or St. Petersburg or some such. What is the time difference and do they stream their games?

Last edited by ahimsa: 07-18-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old
07-18-2012, 10:05 PM
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Maybe they could follow a Marxist model. All the owners wouldn't actually own a specific team. They would each own 1/30 of a share. That way no one would lose money.

Just thinking outside the box.
All the players would get paid the same with maybe a bit more for each year played in the NHL. I think that would work out to about 3-4 mil each.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:15 PM
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post

Yeah but Detroit doesn't have Fishman. bwaa ha ha

Old
07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post

Quincey had filed for arbitration.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!

OMG.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:57 PM
pman25

Well, I think the preds will match that...

Closed Thread