Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

u17 camp

Old
07-15-2012, 08:52 AM
maldo

vCash: 500
u17 camp

does anyone know the outcome of the u17 camp in Cornwall July 4-8.were there any cuts.there is absolutely no information regarding this.

maldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldo View Post
does anyone know the outcome of the u17 camp in Cornwall July 4-8.were there any cuts.there is absolutely no information regarding this.
Dude, there were like 70 players who attended the camp. It wasn't a selection camp were a final roster had to be decided, it was an evaluation summer camp. The decision on the players will be made in December based on the summer evaluation camp and the first 3 months of the OHL season.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:35 AM
bidzey

vCash: 50
isn't it a 3-4 step filtering process? I think there's at least 3 camps.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Ottawa Guy

These camps are fundraisers. Decisions are based on performance in OHL.

Ottawa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:57 AM
KL14

Spoke with a couple of kids who attended the camp...basically if you are not playing in the O it is very unlikely that you will make the team and yes, final selection is not made until December. The kids told me that McDavid and Hosang were "rippin' it up" (the kids' words, not mine) and were the best two players on the ice.

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
Spoke with a couple of kids who attended the camp...basically if you are not playing in the O it is very unlikely that you will make the team and yes, final selection is not made until December. The kids told me that McDavid and Hosang were "rippin' it up" (the kids' words, not mine) and were the best two players on the ice.
Can't wait to see the first game Erie and Windsor. Love to see these two young guns square off in an OHL. Even better, can't wait until they suit up for Canada on the same line and shred some opposing defenses.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Not shocked on that one.

The best players usually make the team. I don't like the process, but the program is successful. Usually there are 1-2 players who are not in the OHL who make the team (Altshuller and Polesselo wit h the 94's.) There where no qualified players last year playing Jr. A.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
bidzey

Quote:
anything on Middleton ?

Old
07-15-2012, 04:04 PM
KL14

I will be seeing the kids that attended the U17 camp again tomorrow as they are doing the same summer program as my guys so I will ask and find out. I do know that top drafted defencemen got most of the ice and the lesser lights saw fewer shifts, but the comment on the forwards was that they all got an equal look.

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:25 PM
no Gino

Quote:
I will be seeing the kids that attended the U17 camp again tomorrow as they are doing the same summer program as my guys so I will ask and find out. I do know that top drafted defencemen got most of the ice and the lesser lights saw fewer shifts, but the comment on the forwards was that they all got an equal look.
Not sure about that. A kid I know was a late rounder and was paired with DiPerna the whole weekend. I don't think he received any less ice time.

no Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by burki15 View Post
Not sure about that. A kid I know was a late rounder and was paired with DiPerna the whole weekend. I don't think he received any less ice time.
That is usually the case. Usually the coaches are pretty good at spreading out the ice, thats what the evaluators want.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:49 PM
bidzey

I got a question... Owen Sound have 5 guys at the camp
1st Round, 2nd Round, 3rd Round, 7th Round and 10th Round

I'm amazed that 7 and 10th round are there, not taking anything away from those players, I don't even have a clue who they are except for their names, but you would think round 4-5-6 would be there too? or even 8-9 if 10 is there? I just find that funny. Is there that much difference between the Owen Sound scouts and the other scouts? What up with that?

Old
07-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
I got a question... Owen Sound have 5 guys at the camp
1st Round, 2nd Round, 3rd Round, 7th Round and 10th Round

I'm amazed that 7 and 10th round are there, not taking anything away from those players, I don't even have a clue who they are except for their names, but you would think round 4-5-6 would be there too? or even 8-9 if 10 is there? I just find that funny. Is there that much difference between the Owen Sound scouts and the other scouts? What up with that?

Each region has a set amout of invites, which is why you see undrafted players from the Northern part of Ontario advance while some top 100 players don't because they play in a much deeper talent pool.
Teams love to promote the fact that they have alot of invites, but at the end of the day it means nothing as far as how good a draft was.

I have yet to meet someone who actauly likes the process, and the rumour is that next year it will be revamped.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Crottenham

I was also told by a couple of parents whose kids attended in Cornwall that all players were alerted to the fact that mid to late November the final roster would be set.

I was also told that the higher picked players did receive considerably more ice time, but that may just be sour grapes based on who was speaking.

At the end of the day if history can be a true indicator it seems pretty obvious that notwithstanding camp performance the team will be comprised of players who are playing in the OHL this upcoming season.

As a side-note, my son attended one of the first Brampton OMHA regional camps (there were 4). I thought it was well run. The challenge in my mind was that if this truly is a "Program of Excellence" as it is called and given all the scrutiny the palyers are under, more detailed assessments of each player would be refreshing and helpful (yes I know it would take time to compile). I suggested this to the staff after the camp, but given I have also heard the format is changing this may be a moot point.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:35 AM
BigBuck

Does anyone have any player evaluations etc. of the forwards,defence,goalies that were at this camp? We headed down on Sunday to watch the afternoon sessions only to find out they were cancelled and all finished up in the morning. My buddy and I and his 10 year old hockey player(who had heard of most the players) all left disappointed,we also met 2 scouts who drove 5 hours to miss the action.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Each region has a set amout of invites, which is why you see undrafted players from the Northern part of Ontario advance while some top 100 players don't because they play in a much deeper talent pool.
Teams love to promote the fact that they have alot of invites, but at the end of the day it means nothing as far as how good a draft was.

I have yet to meet someone who actauly likes the process, and the rumour is that next year it will be revamped.
that is silly I guess... to have better players knocked out because of the region they're from... that's what I understand from your answer anyways

Old
07-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
that is silly I guess... to have better players knocked out because of the region they're from... that's what I understand from your answer anyways
There where undrafted players from the North who where invited over higher rated players from the OMHA and GTHL. Because each area needs to fill a certain 'slot' of players, some players dont get the opportunity (not that the camps have much to do with the final rosters anyways).

The U17 camps at one point where good for GM's to get a chance to see every player, but now that the Draft has been moved up, im not sure what the point is. I also never understood why 8 months of live viewing where thrown away for a weekend of play by evaluators who never saw the players before that weekend. Its a backwards system thats due for re-invention/retooling.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
nickels

Quote:

What I've heard...The new program will have all 1997 birth year participate at a regional camp(under 17) this year in Aug/12 they will watch the kids until mid season and each Association will pick a team represented at a tourney called Gold Cup in April/May 2013...They are making changes but this tourney will be after the draft

nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
no Gino

Quote:

Next year I believe each region will be sending a team to play in a tournament format I believe as opposed to a camp as has been used in the past.

no Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
What I've heard...The new program will have all 1997 birth year participate at a regional camp(under 17) this year in Aug/12 they will watch the kids until mid season and each Association will pick a team represented at a tourney called Gold Cup in April/May 2013...They are making changes but this tourney will be after the draft
Quote:
Originally Posted by burki15 View Post
Next year I believe each region will be sending a team to play in a tournament format I believe as opposed to a camp as has been used in the past.
Ive heard the same thing. I really hope its the case. The U16 tournament in Kitchener was a great opportunity for all involved.

The biggest issue that I have is with the evaluators. They need to watch these kids more then one weekend a year to give all players a fair chance. Ive heard that there will be changes to the way they are evaluated as well, which would be a positive if it happens.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Skip Wiley

So now someone please tell me. How much do the camps mean? Not a lot in my opinion. No offence to the kids but, without naming names, at least 2 of the defenseman and 2 of the forwards should be replaced by kids that not only had better camps but are playing very well in tier 2.

Seems to me like it is just the OHL justifying their scouting abilities.

I know it is the same thing every year but as a fan of both the OHL and Tier 2 hockey they should call it what it is. Team Ontario OHL U17, and take the camp pretense away.

Goaltenders:
Matthew Mancina [Leamington Flyers]*
Brent Moran [Niagara IceDogs]

Defencemen:
Roland McKeown [Kingston Frontenacs]
Brandon Prophet [Saginaw Spirit]
Conor Cummins [Sudbury Wolves]
Aaron Ekblad [Barrie Colts]
Jacob Middleton [Owen Sound Attack]
Daniel De Sousa [Belleville Bulls]
Dylan DiPerna [Kingston Frontenacs]

Forwards:
Connor McDavid [Erie Otters]
Eric Cornel [Peterborough Petes]
Sam Bennett [Kingston Frontenacs]
Jared McCann [Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds]
Niki Petti [Belleville Bulls]
Spencer Watson [Kingston Frontenacs]
Josh Ho-Sang [Windsor Spitfires]
Michael Dal Colle [Oshawa Generals]
Brett Hargrave [Sarnia Sting]
Robby Fabbri [Guelph Storm]
Dante Salituro [Ottawa 67ís]
Damian Bourne [Mississauga Steelheads]
Jaden Lindo [Owen Sound Attack]

Skip Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:21 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Wiley View Post
So now someone please tell me. How much do the camps mean? Not a lot in my opinion. No offence to the kids but, without naming names, at least 2 of the defenseman and 2 of the forwards should be replaced by kids that not only had better camps but are playing very well in tier 2.

Seems to me like it is just the OHL justifying their scouting abilities.

I know it is the same thing every year but as a fan of both the OHL and Tier 2 hockey they should call it what it is. Team Ontario OHL U17, and take the camp pretense away.

Goaltenders:
Matthew Mancina [Leamington Flyers]*
Brent Moran [Niagara IceDogs]

Defencemen:
Roland McKeown [Kingston Frontenacs]
Brandon Prophet [Saginaw Spirit]
Conor Cummins [Sudbury Wolves]
Aaron Ekblad [Barrie Colts]
Jacob Middleton [Owen Sound Attack]
Daniel De Sousa [Belleville Bulls]
Dylan DiPerna [Kingston Frontenacs]

Forwards:
Connor McDavid [Erie Otters]
Eric Cornel [Peterborough Petes]
Sam Bennett [Kingston Frontenacs]
Jared McCann [Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds]
Niki Petti [Belleville Bulls]
Spencer Watson [Kingston Frontenacs]
Josh Ho-Sang [Windsor Spitfires]
Michael Dal Colle [Oshawa Generals]
Brett Hargrave [Sarnia Sting]
Robby Fabbri [Guelph Storm]
Dante Salituro [Ottawa 67’s]
Damian Bourne [Mississauga Steelheads]
Jaden Lindo [Owen Sound Attack]
If u take those kids your referring too from Tier 2 to the OHL...do u think the would have the same results? OHL is stiffer competition as u know. It makes u look better playing in Tier 2 against weaker comp. Id be interested who those 2 d man and 2 forwards u think should be there for conversation purposes. This U17 looks like a marlboro/rebel super team. IT should have excellent chemistry. I think Cornel and Petti are struggling in the OHL but they both have great potential and could start to flourish in the OHL at any moment. Brandon Prophet was one name I wondered about but I have not seen enough of his game to really comment on him. I think this roster is incredible and be shocked if they didnt win GOLD.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
If u take those kids your referring too from Tier 2 to the OHL...do u think the would have the same results? OHL is stiffer competition as u know. It makes u look better playing in Tier 2 against weaker comp. Id be interested who those 2 d man and 2 forwards u think should be there for conversation purposes. This U17 looks like a marlboro/rebel super team. IT should have excellent chemistry. I think Cornel and Petti are struggling in the OHL but they both have great potential and could start to flourish in the OHL at any moment. Brandon Prophet was one name I wondered about but I have not seen enough of his game to really comment on him. I think this roster is incredible and be shocked if they didnt win GOLD.
Tier 2 to the Ohl is like night and day. I think if Cornel was drafted lower, he wouldn't be on the team but as we know most of the top picks do make the team. The 1st rounders who don't make the team are really struggling. This team is probably the best team they have had in years.

Luvtowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:41 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Prophet has been playing well for Saginaw, He deserves to be there. He missed 5 games with injury but has come back and is playing a lot and in all situations PP,PK and last minute with a lead. He is 6'2" 200 lbs moves well and might have the hardest shot from the point of all the 16 year olds.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Prophet has been playing well for Saginaw, He deserves to be there. He missed 5 games with injury but has come back and is playing a lot and in all situations PP,PK and last minute with a lead. He is 6'2" 200 lbs moves well and might have the hardest shot from the point of all the 16 year olds.
Diperna also has a rocket.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote