HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake Geoffrion

Old
07-14-2012, 12:33 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
The kid lacks grit and speed.. he is a nice kid with a good attitude but unless he improves drasticly in the summer, I just cant see him make the team..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
If not for the last name he wouldn't even be talked about here. They gave him a chance in a season that was in the tank way before close to the end. The kid is nice and all but he shouldn't be anywhere near the pros.
Who played well under RC anyway outside the DD line?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:54 PM
ChoseLa

He's the forgoten prospect, he has some lacunes but is overral more NHL ready than 85% of the top-20.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
The name helps but he has a very solid resume to back it up.

He had good numbers in the NCAA. Had overall solid numbers in the AHL. And his first stint in the NHL was pretty good.

He has flaws that are holding him back for sure. But I don't think it's too late for him... yet. He needs to put it all together this season though. Either destroy the AHL and get a call-up, or have a great camp and grab a spot on the fourth line. But that's only the first part. Once that's done, he needs to prove he has what it takes to stick in the NHL.

If he ends up playing on a fourth line, he'll have to make his way up. Meaning, he'll have to adapt his game to a more "grinding" role and show he takes his career seriously. If he does that, he'll rack up some point but most of all, he'll gain the trust of his coach and when the time will come, he'll get a shot at playing with Eller, Plekanec or Desharnais (a real offensive role). That's when he really needs to grab the opportunity and show he's a keeper.

Won't be an easy road for Geoffrion. But I sincerely believe he has what it takes. He also is going to have to battle Palushaj who is in a very similar situation.
If Geoffrion has a great camp, I can't see this helping much. Certainly I can't
see tearing up the AHL as helping much. And I think he has already "put it all together". The reason he is a marginal player at the NHL level, but a
good player at the AHL level, and a superior player at the college level, is one
of physical limitations. He doesn't skate well enough to use his skills effectively.
And he's not strong enough to make a career out of his determination and
understanding of the game.
These are thing that have to change over time, primarily in the offseason.
And they change much more often for 18 year old draftees, than for 25 year olds.
Mostly because at 18 few athletes have reached their physical peak, and not all
have reach their potential as skaters. At 25,after working on their game, and training
those extra years ,they are much closer to their ceiling.
But because Geoffrion is close to effective in the NHL now, he may need
only small improvements in his weaker areas. Certainly he has shown at other
levels that he can make the most of his strengths.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Garry Valk

I really like him. Went the college route. Needs more quality, consistent playing time, and I genuinely think he could turn into a low 2nd/3rd liner.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:09 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Does this guy have what it takes to make the club next year? Looks like he might be a 4th liner but wasn't he once the go to guy in college?
Geoffrion,Leblanc,Dumont and St.Denis will be the veterans the Habs have to inspire the work ethic required to be a Hab.At the same time building the young core group that in another five years will be leaders in Montreal.Team spirit and cohesion should be the focus for the coaches,as there could be as many as ten of these players being Habs in the near future.The 2013-2014 season the veterans here will be up with the Habs (Geoffrion,Leblanc)and possibly Dumont.Doing it right in Hamilton,the Bulldogs our future,togetherness.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:11 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
13th forward. Don't see him as anything more than a fourth liner unless his skating improves a whole lot.
Do we have coaches that teach this?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
He could become a decent 3rd line two way player. I don't know if he's in the Habs long term plans but next year he could be the 13th forward if Gomez is sent down.

Anyways he definitely deserves a real chance to prove himself.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

Dreadful skater and not particularly good at anything.

Connor McJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

He was rated Nashville's 4th best prospect right before we made the trade. They expected him to be a top 9 forward last year but he had a poor start and was sent down. I think if he shows up motivated he can play on an offensive line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:21 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was rated Nashville's 4th best prospect right before we made the trade. They expected him to be a top 9 forward last year but he had a poor start and was sent down. I think if he shows up motivated he can play on an offensive line.
Their prospects must be really dreadful...

My main gripe with Geoffrion is that he doesn't seem to excel at anything in particular. Reminds me of Chipchura when he was here.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I'm not writing off the possibility/ability of this guy eventually working his way into 4th line duties here.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes, we know, Gauthier is responsible for Global Warming..We get it..
I am pretty sure you don't get it but that's another topic.

Montreal's problems are they have too many "13th forwards" , in other words players that aren't good enough to be on the 28th place team in the league.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not sure that means anything. In April, 2 months after Geoffrion has been traded, Gabriel Bourque was #10 on the list....and ended up playing a very good in the NHL for them. While Latta who is now #4 on the list ended up with less points playing for their farm team than Taylor Beck did who's #8.

Just saying that while I will not believe Geoffrion is bad based solely on what we've seen, just putting some perspective on prospect pool rankings.

And I just checked that on December 2011, Geoffrion was #7. Behind guys like Latta, Smith and Beck. But before a guy like Lindback who might proove he should have been higher. And before a guy like Watson who, for me, doesn't make any sense.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:57 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure that means anything. In April, 2 months after Geoffrion has been traded, Gabriel Bourque was #10 on the list....and ended up playing a very good in the NHL for them. While Latta who is now #4 on the list ended up with less points playing for their farm team than Taylor Beck did who's #8.

Just saying that while I will not believe Geoffrion is bad based solely on what we've seen, just putting some perspective on prospect pool rankings.

And I just checked that on December 2011, Geoffrion was #7. Behind guys like Latta, Smith and Beck. But before a guy like Lindback who might proove he should have been higher. And before a guy like Watson who, for me, doesn't make any sense.
Great post. I actually think Geoffrion has what it takes.

This is Montreal, 7 games is enough to dump a player who they know nothing about.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Montreal's problems are they have too many "13th forwards" , in other words players that aren't good enough to be on the 28th place team in the league.
Certainly this was the case last season. However i don't see it being accurate with this years healthy lineup. Currently our 3rd/4th lines look something like this:

Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-Nokelainen-White

The only "13th" forward in that group, IMO, is Nokelainen. The others are all NHL calibre players and would not be out of place on a playoff roster.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:20 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Certainly this was the case last season. However i don't see it being accurate with this years healthy lineup. Currently our 3rd/4th lines look something like this:

Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-Nokelainen-White

The only "13th" forward in that group, IMO, is Nokelainen. The others are all NHL calibre players and would not be out of place on a playoff roster.
Montreal Canadiens and healthy years are not usually related.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post

Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-Nokelainen-White

Nokes' pretty underrated. He may not be a Halpern, Metropolit or Moore, but he's certainly no Garth Murray either. He's actually a pretty decent player with a certain amount of skill.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Nokes' pretty underrated. He may not be a Halpern, Metropolit or Moore, but he's certainly no Garth Murray either. He's actually a pretty decent player with a certain amount of skill.
Still, he fits the bill of "13th forward"; especially if our line up still includes Gomez, and even more so once Gally is ready.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Habs

...not sure what to think of him, he kind of does everything 'average' ... not one thing overly well.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Montreal Canadiens and healthy years are not usually related.
Sure but the point still stands...i don't feel like we currently have too many 13th forwards.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
I'm just not really a fan. I was hoping the Habs would have tried to upgrade this spot. A guy like Max Talbot would have been an ideal signing last summer.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:05 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I don't know what Geoffrion's NHL future holds, I don't even consider him a prospect since he will turn 25 mid-season. But if you look at his development, after a very successful NCAA career, his first season of pro hockey went well as he had a big year in the AHL and ended up playing a chunk of the season in the NHL while being on pace for over 30 pts. But he struggled at the start of last season and was sent down and things didn't appear to go that well for him there either so he was traded. With the Dogs he looked good, in his 13 NHL games he didn't really stand out too much though.

I'd like to see him go to the AHL and work on his confidence, skating, whatever else he needs to do and then see what he can do the following season. In a way he's a bit like Palushaj, where the two have put up numbers at every level except the NHL where they haven't been able to establish themselves yet. Unlike Palushaj who appears to lack strength/physical abilities but has speed, Geoffrion brings grit, hard work and a willingness to get his nose dirty but lacks speed and his offensive upside is in question.

So a kid like Geoffrion may one day make the NHL as a full time 4th liner as he gives you an honest effort, will take the body, drop the gloves and if his offensive skills can translate at all to the NHL level in chipping in 15-20 points a year he could be a decent player to have around.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Patty Roy

Good take Montreal.

I prefer Geoffrion to Palushaj personally. Primarily for the reasons you outline. I see Geoffrion eventually fitting in as a 3rd or more likely a 4th liner who can chip in from time to time. I just don't see where Palushaj fits in. He's got more skill, but doesn't appear to have enough to be a top 2 liner at the NHL level. And with that slight frame and lack of a physical presence i can't see him fitting in to well as a depth player.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Still, he fits the bill of "13th forward"; especially if our line up still includes Gomez, and even more so once Gally is ready.
Yes, sorry. I should have clarified my thoughts: I was mostly agreeing with you as far as the quality of the bottom-6 is concerned. I think even Nokelainen is a decent 4th line center if you surround him with good players, which he didn't really have for the better part of last year but should have this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he does very well with the likes of Prust, Moen, Armstrong and White.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote