HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

John Dellapina is missed

Old
07-15-2012, 12:08 AM
BarneyRoss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
What do you expect him to say? How many national writers announce what their favorite team is? He's clearly a Ranger fan and a New York sports fan in general.

His Twitter account isn't 100% hockey talk, but being a writer doesn't mean your Twitter account is only allowed to be used for breaking news. His job is to write, which he does a fine job doing, IMO.
it's more like 15% hockey talk.. if that's your thing then you should follow linda cohn bc/ she talks more hockey than him. BTW if you follow that 15% of his hockey talk it's mostly incorrect and if you challenge him on any of it he has no answer..

There's no shame in announcing who your team is ..just because he now works for sporting news now he's too big time to say it? ask brooks zipay etc and they'd say it ..

BarneyRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyRoss View Post
it's more like 15% hockey talk.. if that's your thing then you should follow linda cohn bc/ she talks more hockey than him. BTW if you follow that 15% of his hockey talk it's mostly incorrect and if you challenge him on any of it he has no answer..

There's no shame in announcing who your team is ..just because he now works for sporting news now he's too big time to say it? ask brooks zipay etc and they'd say it ..
They aren't national writers.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:24 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Spector is great, I don't know where the hate comes from. He works for a big time national company now, I don't know why people expect him to talk Rangers all the time.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:52 AM
BarneyRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
They aren't national writers.
Regardless, shortly after getting a job, declares that he is not a Rangers fan anymore.

It's not about him not talking about the Rangers - it' that his articles are amateurish and his tweets are clownish ...90% of Spector tweets made up sample "At applebees, I don't see any apples or bees" ...during the trade deadline and or/free agency frenzy too...

he's a clown

BarneyRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:39 AM
17futurecap

Too young to remember what kind of columnist Barry Meisel was, but his book was awesome. Being 7 when the Rangers won the cup I really don't remember much, but that book was so informative.

Was he a good day to day columnist to the people who remember his work?

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
zestystrat

IDK I really like the stuff Rick Carp does on his blog Rangers Report.

Not shy to say what's on his mind.

He's got guest bloggers on now, but he is usually my 1st stop on the web after a game or trade etc.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:18 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Too young to remember what kind of columnist Barry Meisel was, but his book was awesome. Being 7 when the Rangers won the cup I really don't remember much, but that book was so informative.

Was he a good day to day columnist to the people who remember his work?
Yes. Outstanding writer. No nonsense. Clean style. And he was a good story teller too.

Brooks left the Devils beat right for the Rangers right when the Devils were becoming dominant and the Rangers were heading downhill, so naturally, he's been around more losing, animosity and friction than anyone else.

The Rangers were up and coming when Meisel and Frank Brown covered them , and it was reflected in their writing.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:52 PM
TheDave1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
IDK I really like the stuff Rick Carp does on his blog Rangers Report.

Not shy to say what's on his mind.

He's got guest bloggers on now, but he is usually my 1st stop on the web after a game or trade etc.
Problem with Carp is he covers too much other stuff aside from the Rangers. He doesnt get any inside info. I do like his game recaps though

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:11 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Forgot about Barry...he's a good personal friend and a fine writer.

Carp is great but you youngns' would have really enjoyed him when he was covering the Rangers every day. Fine writer, clever and had very good sources. Not as connceted now as he used to be due to budget cuts at his paper.

And as for Jesse Spector, he can (stress can) be a good writer at times but more often than not he sees himself as being bigger than the story and turns out poor work. Jesse really needs a dose of humility. After he gets fired a couple of times, he'll be much better.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

I hate Brooks and always have. He hates the Rangers and always has. He has played ball the last couple of years because he has no choice. He's like Fischler in the sense that both are now trapped into rooting for the Rangers while hating them.

Just because newspaper budget cuts have hit hockey hard doesn't lower the standards for what is good. Just as not being the worst referee in a sport full of disgraceful referees doesn't make you good.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:17 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Brown, Meisel, Carp all wrote really good books as well.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:21 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
A serious question - does Dellapina frequent these boards?
Who is the Bruce Wayne without the mask?
Or righter said - who is JDPs alter ego!

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:03 PM
ocarina

I miss Sam Weinman when he covered the team for the Journal News. He took his profession very seriously, and he always seemed to have good insight.

My main issue with Brooks is that he has a really bad tendency to get too opinionated in his columns, and he just comes off as unprofessional.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Edge

Brooks is an old school reporter who knows how to work a beat. A lot of young reporters don't know how to do that these days, or they are too lazy. It's a very serious problem media outlets are facing around the country.

My only problem with Brooks is that he sometimes becomes part of the story, which is a no-no for reporters.

Dellapina was a very good writer, probably not quite as "insider" in his articles as Brooks, but he knew how to play the politics game better. In that sense, he was more inclined to go into public relations (which he did).

I always found Dellapina to be more likeable, and a genuinely nice guy. I never had a problem with Brooks, he was just more a throwback to a different era in journalism where befriending the people you cover was frowned upon and taking a job in public relations was treason.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:50 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Walt MacPeek and Frank Brown...the best Ranger beat writers in my lifetime. Carpinello and Dellapina couldn't hold a candle to either of those two.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Hmm, I personally know all the guys of which you speak (not Meisel). No question Larry Brooks is the most connected of the current writers.

Here's the deal with all the guys that cover the team and, in my opinion, why that is.

Covering the team is very different than it once was, as there is huge pressure to get the story out by each outlet and everyone is watched very closely by the PR department. Much of what is said is controlled--except what Torts' says in the media scrums. There is very little coming out of the Rangers besides the official stuff. After games, there are interviews, but very little is said that is controversial in any way--as all the players are very careful and so is the staff.

In my opinion, here are the reasons. First, the advent of the internet made information available immediately, putting great pressure on a reporter to get everything out there quickly. Also to put a huge amount of information out there when in actuality there is little or nothing happening.

Next, and think, more importantly, the increase in pressure and change in the way information is disseminated has caused a lack of discretion on the part of the media.

Not everything is said for publication. It used to be that the media used discretion in deciding what to print--if something shouldn't have been printed, it did not get out--there was a certain amount of trust between the teams and the media. Now, with all kinds of folks "covering" the team, the monetary pressure to be first, and the turnover in folks covering the team, there is little trust on the part of the team.

And in my opinion, given some of the things that have gotten out, its for very good reason.

I am absolutely sure that Brooksie gets some scoops and also gets info that you never hear about. It's about building trust.

One of the reasons, actually the main reason, I stopped doing my blog when last season started was that the Rangers do not give access to regular season games to strictly internet media--which HF is. I was disappointed, but accepted it and rather than just rehash what others said or what I saw on television (which is really great for games, but very limited for seeing how players position themselves or make plays off-camera), I stopped my entries.

I do have access to camps and tournaments and the AHL teams and when I am there I will report from there. Unfortunately, some of the people who blog never go to games and just copy what other people write. It's a symptom of our time and I am not sure that there is anything that can be done about it.

Just know that all of the guys you talked about here--Brooks, Zipay, Gross, Spector, Carpinello, Dellapina, as well as Zinzer and others not mentioned--work(ed) very hard to cover the team and are there almost all the time. If they are not, they tell you that right off the bat.

The changes in media coverage is a very interesting subject. It's just hard for me to read personal attacks about the individuals that I know personally, who do know the game, and work hard to get whatever news they have available to you.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
nsvoyageurs

I like Brooks the most of all the current and recent past Ranger beat writers, though I don't always agree with him. He tends to be mostly pro-player, anti-owner/league office, though usually the league office deserves the critiques Brooks writes about them. He's not afraid to ruffle feathers (just ask Tortorella!)

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:32 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I do have access to camps and tournaments and the AHL teams and when I am there I will report from there. Unfortunately, some of the people who blog never go to games and just copy what other people write. It's a symptom of our time and I am not sure that there is anything that can be done about it.

Just know that all of the guys you talked about here--Brooks, Zipay, Gross, Spector, Carpinello, Dellapina, as well as Zinzer and others not mentioned--work(ed) very hard to cover the team and are there almost all the time. If they are not, they tell you that right off the bat.

The changes in media coverage is a very interesting subject. It's just hard for me to read personal attacks about the individuals that I know personally, who do know the game, and work hard to get whatever news they have available to you.
There's a website that is quoted here every single day that's "writers" do that. It's disappointing to see considering all the work everyone else does to get to practices to cover the team. I understand certain writers (Brooks) are given information that others aren't. I find it interesting how much trust Brooksie has built up to his sources and the Rangers considering Zipay works for Dolan (in a roundabout way) and doesn't have even a quarter of the information Brooks does.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:17 PM
MorrisWanchuk

i've always liked uncle larry

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:26 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I think we need to start calling some of them Editorializers rather than Reporters.

Plainly said, more hockey coverage is better, less is worse. Football is like Nascar, just an excuse to drink beer; Baseball is too long and only good for fantasy sports; and if you're going to watch basketball, watch college!

How great would it be if the NHL and AHL were covered thoroughly! I should move to Canada.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyRoss View Post
Regardless, shortly after getting a job, declares that he is not a Rangers fan anymore.

It's not about him not talking about the Rangers - it' that his articles are amateurish and his tweets are clownish ...90% of Spector tweets made up sample "At applebees, I don't see any apples or bees" ...during the trade deadline and or/free agency frenzy too...

he's a clown
@jessespector: Re-sharing my tribute to my friend @JessicaRedfield - don’t think it will ever be possible to make sense of today. http://*******/NDoU35

Go here instead: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...n=jessespector

Yep. Guy's a clown.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I hate Brooks and always have. He hates the Rangers and always has. He has played ball the last couple of years because he has no choice. He's like Fischler in the sense that both are now trapped into rooting for the Rangers while hating them.

Just because newspaper budget cuts have hit hockey hard doesn't lower the standards for what is good. Just as not being the worst referee in a sport full of disgraceful referees doesn't make you good.
I disagree wholeheartedly.

Brooks may dislike/have his differences with Tortorella.

But I would never go as far to say he does not like the Rangers.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:12 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Im glad someone else remembers these two..I mentioned them earlier in the thread but these two guys were the best..Frank Brown best of the bunch AINEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Walt MacPeek and Frank Brown...the best Ranger beat writers in my lifetime. Carpinello and Dellapina couldn't hold a candle to either of those two.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:29 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Lov L Brooks. Something about John Dell I dont like, I wanted to slap him in the face when I saw him on SNY.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Brooks is an old school reporter who knows how to work a beat. A lot of young reporters don't know how to do that these days, or they are too lazy. It's a very serious problem media outlets are facing around the country.

My only problem with Brooks is that he sometimes becomes part of the story, which is a no-no for reporters.

Dellapina was a very good writer, probably not quite as "insider" in his articles as Brooks, but he knew how to play the politics game better. In that sense, he was more inclined to go into public relations (which he did).

I always found Dellapina to be more likeable, and a genuinely nice guy. I never had a problem with Brooks, he was just more a throwback to a different era in journalism where befriending the people you cover was frowned upon and taking a job in public relations was treason.
Everything's a "very serious problem" these days. You know what a serious problem is? How about cancer? Maybe war? Or.... genocide? Drug addiction? Poverty?

Serious problems my ass... media outlets need their beat writers god damn-it!

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote