HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes Lounge III

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Libérée, Délivrée

vCash: 500
Dangerously on topic but off topic enough to go here and didn't think it warranted its own thread:

Not having been to many Coyotes games since they moved out to Westgate, but having full season tix for next year, I'll be needing to find places to eat dinner beforehand (not really keen on the idea of paying concession stand prices to eat dinner if I have the opportunity to eat before the game instead - snacks are okay to pay for, meals no).

What are some good, relatively inexpensive places to visit for some dinner before a game in/around Westgate? I notice there's a Johnny Rocket's in the city center, and after game 5 against the Kings I stopped by an In N Out on the way home. I'm aware of some of the places near the arena, but have never tried any of them.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:45 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I like Gordon Biersch a lot.

07-15-2012, 02:46 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Here we go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post

What are some good, relatively inexpensive places to visit for some dinner before a game in/around Westgate? I notice there's a Johnny Rocket's in the city center, and after game 5 against the Kings I stopped by an In N Out on the way home. I'm aware of some of the places near the arena, but have never tried any of them.
Shane's Rib Shack is okay. Not terribly pricey.
Mama Gina's Pizza is also in that same category. Not outstanding but the prices aren't horrible.

Both are FAR superior to the food inside Jobbing and its probably about the same price.
Most of the other places are higher priced except Rockets. Might be a few other places I haven't checked out yet too.

Also I saw a lot of people were talking about how bad the food is in Jobbing. It wasn't always this bad, sometime in 2007 or so it nose dived. The pizza is BY FAR the worst though. One game last season they ran out of it and brought in a truck load of freschetta frozen pizzas. They were better.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:03 AM
awfulwaffle

Applebee's in Goodyear, I usually always stop in there before the games. Granted I didn't work an 8-5 job, so when I was going to games I was always coming from Flagstaff, so I always had the extra time ahead of the puck drop.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:42 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Culverts is good, and just north of the arena you have a few places- panda, Carl's jr, streets of new york, etc.

Shane's is good, but I got sick of it after a while. I liked moe's but they were so slow and they're gone now.

I can't believe that there aren't any Mexican places at westgate! They keep closing. I'd LCD to see. Chipotle there, but I have a feeling the lines would be super long on game nights. But they tend to do things quicker than moe's did, so maybe it would work.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:01 AM
PhoPhan

Honest question: Does Arizona have anything other than chain restaurants? That's all I ever see you guys talk about.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:04 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Honest question: Does Arizona have anything other than chain restaurants? That's all I ever see you guys talk about.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:15 AM
doaner

Quote:

That is why I love flag. Lots of small places. Pickles, diablo burger, etc. All downtown awesome places to eat at.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Of course, but there is no doubt that people love to talk about food and drink alot.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

I'll find something else to talk about.

Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley, and all of the rich areas of the Valley.

There is no question that I would like to own a rich home in any of these areas but in terms of hanging out, Scottsdale is the most ideal place of course.

Why am I saying this is such a kiss ass fashion? Aside from being the truth, I have never seen such an area of the United States(the Valley of the Sun) where the majority(not all of course) of the non rich have so much hate for such places and for the rich people. The hate is so high that the jealousy is litteraly on worn on their sleeves.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:53 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Of course, but there is no doubt that people love to talk about food and drink alot.
I wasn't criticizing the frequency of food discussion. I just found it curious that whenever the topic pops up, the only restaurants I see mentioned are chains. Not that there aren't some decent ones (the best pizza in all of DC might be Mellow Mushroom, though that says more about DC, to be honest), but they make up an awfully small percentage of my eating out.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:57 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

There are some non-chain restaurants, but not so many near Westgate. I think almost everything at Westgate and within a 1-mile radius is a chain.

Bitzee Mama's in Glendale is a well-known non-chain. One of my favorite restaurants is Rosita's in Tempe - but that does no good for someone at Westgate. There are some nice non-chains in Surprise (oddly enough, we have two really, really good French places - Amuse-Bouche and Vogue), Fresh Wasabi, and Saigon Kitchen. But none of these would be convenient for a person on their way to Westgate.

Last edited by TickleMeYandle: 07-15-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old
07-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
I wasn't criticizing the frequency of food discussion. I just found it curious that whenever the topic pops up, the only restaurants I see mentioned are chains. Not that there aren't some decent ones (the best pizza in all of DC might be Mellow Mushroom, though that says more about DC, to be honest), but they make up an awfully small percentage of my eating out.
Oh ok

I can mention a couple places that are not major chain eateries that I enjoy.

Luke's( A Chicago Hot Dog and Italian Beef Joint).
$6.90 gets me 2 Chicago Dogs with fries and a drink

Arriba's Mexican Grill near Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd and the 101
I love the mini tacos they serve at happy hour

Old
07-15-2012, 11:13 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Arriba's has several locations around the valley - I guess the one by Arrowhead or the one on McDowell could be considered sort of by Westgate. They're not right there, but might be close enough to be on the way to/from a game.

The CEO of Arriba's was just killed in a helicopter crash a week or two ago. I wonder how it will affect the business? I've never eaten there but I keep meaning to - I had a Mexican student tell me that he really liked their food, so I'm guessing it may be pretty good if those who know better eat there. Of course, my students also tend to love Panda Express, so maybe not...

Old
07-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Arriba's has several locations around the valley - I guess the one by Arrowhead or the one on McDowell could be considered sort of by Westgate. They're not right there, but might be close enough to be on the way to/from a game.

The CEO of Arriba's was just killed in a helicopter crash a week or two ago. I wonder how it will affect the business? I've never eaten there but I keep meaning to - I had a Mexican student tell me that he really liked their food, so I'm guessing it may be pretty good if those who know better eat there. Of course, my students also tend to love Panda Express, so maybe not...
Panda Express is ok but it doesn't come even close to this place. I doubt the death of the CEO will bring down the business since the role of the CEO has less to do with the bottom of the chain and more with keeping and getting new investors with a company.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:26 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Westgate is basically a shopping mall and a small bar district, so right near the arena it's chains.

Where I live there are many non-chain options. We almost never go to chain restaurants not associated with sporting events, in fact. Hell, actually just Coyotes games because when we go to DBacks games we take the train which goes from my neck of the woods, through the college town and into downtown, so there are many non chain options.

I went to Applebees's last weekend but only because somebody gave us a $25 gift card that we decided would be funny to use of ridiculous, oversized, foo foo cocktails. Prior to that, the last time I went to a chain was Gordon Biersch the night Ray Whitney got his 1000th point. Before that, I can't even remember the last tike I went to a chain. Probably once to twice a year we will go to chain and once or twice a week we will go to a non chain.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:48 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

A few of my favorites...

Ranch House Grille on Thomas and 58th
LoLo's Chicken and Waffles on Scottsdale and Thomas
Tottie's Asian Fusion on Thomas and Hayden
Tutti Santi Ristorante on Dobson and Guadelupe
Pink Pepper Thai on Dobson and Gaudelupe
Cornish Pasty Co. on Dobson and Guadelupe
Zorba's Greek on Alma School and Warner
Kopper Kettle Indo-Pakistani-Afgani on Alma school and Warner
Ninja Sushi in alma school and elliot
Sakana sushi on Elliot and 48th st
Pesto's Wine Bistro on Dobson and Ray
Cyclo Vietnamese on Dobson and Chandler
Vine Expressions on Gilbert and Warner
Flancers on Gilbert and Elliot
Aussie Down Under Wine bar on warner and cooper
Florencia pizza on Ray and S.mtn. pkwy.
Vintage 95 wine lounge on AZ AV and Boston
Joes NY pizza on camelback and 73rd
Nicantonis pizza on warner and mcqueen
Rula Bula Irish pub on mill ave and 1st
The tavern on mill ave and 3rd
Contigo Peru Peruvian on Alma school and gaudelupe
Hot Pot Jamaican on Elliot and az ave.
Nellos pizza on Alma school and guadelupe
El Zocolo Mexican Grille on AZ ave and buffalo

Last edited by rt: 07-15-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old
07-15-2012, 11:53 AM
zz

Quote:
Yes. Lots of great independent places to eat in downtown Phoenix & Scottsdale.
The Phoenix New Times will give you an idea:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/resta...ref=navigation

Some of my favorites:

Binkleys (Cave Creek)
Yasu (Phoenix)
Citizen Public House (Scottsdale)
Coup des Tartes (Phoenix)
House of Tricks (Tempe)

...and lots of very popular ones, like Pizzeria Bianco, Nobu, Cowboy Chow, Rancho Pinot, AZ 88, Havana Cafe (cuban), Bario Cafe (authentic Mexican) etc etc. It goes on and on.

I just wouldn't rely on this board as an indicator or the valley's food options.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:54 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
LoLo's Chicken and Waffles on Scottsdale and Thomas
Oh yes! Can't believe I forgot about that one! The original Phoenix location is a trip.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:57 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
I just wouldn't rely on this board as an indicator or the valley's food options.
I figured that had to be the case.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Oh yes! Can't believe I forgot about that one! The original Phoenix location is a trip.
I've gone to the Lo los in PHX and the Mrs whites there as well. Call me a poser but i like the one is Scottsdale. The staff is just so hilarious. The wife and i dont even talk. We just watch the staff in amusement. It's a younger, loude group.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:42 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

If you're going to Phoenix, or Scottsdale, you might enjoy the Oggies. Just get off the 101 at 67th ave. Great food.

Also, over in Peoria, (Get off the 101 at Bell) by the Polar Ice, there are alot of good places to eat. Famous Daves BBQ, PF Changs, and Ajo Al's.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
If you're going to Phoenix, or Scottsdale, you might enjoy the Oggies. Just get off the 101 at 67th ave. Great food.

Also, over in Peoria, (Get off the 101 at Bell) by the Polar Ice, there are alot of good places to eat. Famous Daves BBQ, PF Changs, and Ajo Al's.
They used to serve Oggies pizza and meatball subs at Jobing.com Arena. I enjoyed both but it seems most people here don't like them.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
They used to serve Oggies pizza and meatball subs at Jobing.com Arena. I enjoyed both but it seems most people here don't like them.
The oggies in the resturant, kicks the crap out of the arena Oggies.

Like Papa Johns now.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Comparaing some of the food from AZ to the food in NY.

There is no question with different cultures you're are not going to see many things common in NY in AZ and visa versa with the exception of NY Style Pizza and real mexican food.

Sadly, too many people in NY and in the rest of the USA think Taco bell is real mexican food.

When you live in a place that is a melting pot within the melting pot(AZ), there is going to be a nice sample of food from many places on Earth with a majority of the cuisine is Mexican and Southweastern.

Couple of things I do miss from NY are NY Style Chinesse Food and Monster Subs.
I only found 1 place in East Mesa on Ellsworth and Brown that was decent for NY Style Chinesse food.
I have yet to find a place that has these kind of Subs:

For the price of a footling Big Philly from Subway($8.75)

I get a sub where half of one alone has a ******** of meat in cheese inside that is enough to make anywhere between 5-10 regular bread sandwiches.

Closed Thread