HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier Has Asked For A Trade (All Bernier discussions)

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 01:14 AM
puckyeah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Bryce Harper? If you wanna comparison in hockey, that would be Crosby. Bernier is not a cant miss type guy. Plus, teams have been severely burned in these trades for goalies with huge potential. The price has come way down over the years. If he was this can't miss guy, teams would be knocking down the Kings door. Doesn't seem like they are.
Goalies are never 'cant miss' but Bernier's upside is as much as you want it to be. We don't know who's knocking down what door, we dont know what the Kings are asking and we dont know what other teams are offering. If it was me, the price would be pretty high. If you don't want to pay it, me (and the Kings) won't lose sleep over it.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:36 AM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyeah View Post
That's not the point. The point was to shoot down the idea that players who 'havent done anything' in the big leagues is not something that determines a player's value or worth.

As far as the 'type' of prospect, Bernier is a goalie and a goalie in hockey is 10X more important than an outfielder in baseball. So, even if Harper is 10x more talented than Bernier, he's still one man of 25 and not a goalie on an NHL team. A top notch goalie has more of an impact on his team's championship chances than even a #1 starter in baseball does.
Well I'm sorry, when you compare someone like Harper to Bernier, you're gonna get a response.

Bernier has potential, but goalies are a crapshoot, and very rarely do you get a legit starter out of them.

How many of the top goalies in the game are even 1st rounders? That's why people are hesitant to cough up anything of significance for one.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:42 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
That's not the point. The point was to shoot down the idea that players who 'havent done anything' in the big leagues is not something that determines a player's value or worth.

As far as the 'type' of prospect, Bernier is a goalie and a goalie in hockey is 10X more important than an outfielder in baseball. So, even if Harper is 10x more talented than Bernier, he's still one man of 25 and not a goalie on an NHL team. A top notch goalie has more of an impact on his team's championship chances than even a #1 starter in baseball does.
No, it kind of is the point. Let me say it again: Hasek was traded for a career AHLer. Unproven goalies aren't worth much of anything, since their projection is hardest to predict. Bernier could be a very good starter; it's just as likely that he falters and spend his entire career as a backup. And the longer the Kings keep him sitting on their bench, the less teams are going to offer for him. If you're so assured that he's that great, then go into the season with him as your starter and trade Quick.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:34 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Goalies are never 'cant miss' but Bernier's upside is as much as you want it to be. We don't know who's knocking down what door, we dont know what the Kings are asking and we dont know what other teams are offering. If it was me, the price would be pretty high. If you don't want to pay it, me (and the Kings) won't lose sleep over it.
The Kings might not lose any sleep over it but Bernier will.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Le Rosbeef

The knocks on Bernier's value are absurd.

Lindback and Varlamov prove that much - there's value out there for a talented young goalie. If I'm LA, I just wait, patiently.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Hawks do not make the most sense if you are not willing to deal elite prospects for Bernier (Teuvo Teravainen or Brandon Saad).

Kings do not need anything else.
that's just bad. Laughable even to think about this.
Bernier wants to be traded, he doesn't want to return to be Quicks backup and play 15-20 games a year.

Hawks make the most sense and have what it takes to get him. Bernier won't bring you Saad or Teuvo. Not even close. If this is what you want from every team, have fun with a backup that won't accpet this role

Old
07-15-2012, 08:07 AM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Lombardi + 3rd?

In all seriousness maybe this is the guy Burke goes hard after.
Negative
Burke said on PTS that he wasn't interested in picking up an unproven goaltender.
He either wants a mentor or someone that will be a bonifide #1

Old
07-15-2012, 08:12 AM
nhlfan9191

This whole situation reminds me of when Martin Biron asked for a trade in Buffalo. Obviously Biron was older than Bernier is now but it's pretty much the same problem. The market was dry and the trade value was just brutal. I remember Biron was so mad, he didn't even bother painting his mask because he was pretty much just waiting for a trade.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
that's just bad. Laughable even to think about this.
Bernier wants to be traded, he doesn't want to return to be Quicks backup and play 15-20 games a year.

Hawks make the most sense and have what it takes to get him. Bernier won't bring you Saad or Teuvo. Not even close. If this is what you want from every team, have fun with a backup that won't accpet this role
Than the Hawks have nothing to give up.

I'm not the GM but will be suprised if the Kings trade Jonathan for some picks. He was drafted 11th overall and have become better each year. He will fetch a 1st or a very good prospect. Players like Saad and Teuvo fit that bill. I understand the relationship between a fan and a prospect drafted by his own team, but GM's dont care. They want a winner on the ice.

edit; And Martin Biron was not #1 goalie. His trade value might have been different when GM's still thought he was one, 7 years earlier...

Old
07-15-2012, 08:39 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post

I'm not the GM but will be suprised if the Kings trade Jonathan for some picks. He was drafted 11th overall and have become better each year. He will fetch a 1st or a very good prospect. Players like Saad and Teuvo fit that bill. I understand the relationship between a fan and a prospect drafted by his own team, but GM's dont care. They want a winner on the ice.

edit; And Martin Biron was not #1 goalie. His trade value might have been different when GM's still thought he was one, 7 years earlier...
Reply to your edit: What?

Old
07-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Reply to your edit: What?
what what ?
Bernier might be far worse than Biron, nobody knows, but that's 'the gamble' a GM has to make with a young goalie. It was at least obvious that you wouldnt win anything with Biron when he asked for a trade, that's for sure.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
what what ?
Bernier might be far worse than Biron, nobody knows, but that's 'the gamble' a GM has to make with a young goalie. It was at least obvious that you wouldnt win anything with Biron when he asked for a trade, that's for sure.
I was comparing situations. Not skill or trade value.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:49 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Except Bernier's value hasn't really appreciated since he was drafted. He hasn't reached the level people thought he would be at by now in his development (which is a starting goalie). He's no more a bona fide starter than Enroth, or Bobrovsky, or Lindback. Where he was selected only signifies his value to the Kings. No one is giving you an elite-level prospect for him. A good one and a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Sure. An elite prospect? Not so much.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Except Bernier's value hasn't really appreciated since he was drafted. He hasn't reached the level people thought he would be at by now in his development (which is a starting goalie). He's no more a bona fide starter than Enroth, or Bobrovsky, or Lindback. Where he was selected only signifies his value to the Kings. No one is giving you an elite-level prospect for him. A good one and a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Sure. An elite prospect? Not so much.
Very good, I would say...keep ignoring the facts and televison. That's my best advice.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:16 AM
eyeball11

Quote:

Who had more value at time of trade: Halak or Bernier?

Old
07-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Who had more value at time of trade: Halak or Bernier?
IMO Halak.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:34 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
IMO Halak.
So it stands to reason you wouldn't expect more for Bernier? The problem with Bernier is the same arguments you are making about Biron can be made about Bernier. This year marks 7 years since Bernier was drafted and he has yet to prove himself a #1 goalie. In fact, James Reimer has a better SV % in more games played to this point in their careers.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
The knocks on Bernier's value are absurd.

Lindback and Varlamov prove that much - there's value out there for a talented young goalie. If I'm LA, I just wait, patiently.
And just like Lindback, Bernier will get you a couple second round picks. The Kings are not going to break the bank on this one. Deal him, enjoy your prospect or picks and move on. Columbus is your best bet. Maybe you can get your #1 back.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
So it stands to reason you wouldn't expect more for Bernier? The problem with Bernier is the same arguments you are making about Biron can be made about Bernier. This year marks 7 years since Bernier was drafted and he has yet to prove himself a #1 goalie. In fact, James Reimer has a better SV % in more games played to this point in their careers.
I see now we are talking about James Reimer again and how much better he actually is. I'm not going to waste any more time on this. Its not my intention to tell people that Bernier is the next best thing.

I'm not expecting lottery picks or great players for Bernier. I do think the Kings are not going to accept a 2nd round pick just because the Lindbacks, Bobrovsky's of this planet got a chance to play in the NHL.

We'll see.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:21 AM
racerjoe

I see him being worth at least what Varly got, a 1st and a 2nd I believe that was.

People need to stop looking at single trades to help their value case, it is well known Montreal did not get best Value in trading Halak, mainly because they wanted to trade him out of conference. Lindback did not have the value of Bernier, his resume to this point is not as good. Thus Berniers value is greater than Lindback, and should at worst be that of Halak.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Puckclektr

It isn't just about how good a player is. The market has a lot to do with it. The fact that the three teams that needed a goalie te most don't anymore. Brodeur, hedberg, dubnyk, Lindback have all filled those roles and are not looking for a goalie. With luongo on the trade block those are at least two goalies on the block. No teams are really desperate for a goalie right now and are not going to pay much for one.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:55 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I see him being worth at least what Varly got, a 1st and a 2nd I believe that was.

People need to stop looking at single trades to help their value case, it is well known Montreal did not get best Value in trading Halak, mainly because they wanted to trade him out of conference. Lindback did not have the value of Bernier, his resume to this point is not as good. Thus Berniers value is greater than Lindback, and should at worst be that of Halak.
How is Lindback's NHL resume not as good as Bernier's?

Old
07-15-2012, 12:02 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
At the limit.... Time for a new thread.

Closed Thread