HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kevin Bieksa

Old
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Henrik To Daniel

vCash: 500
I want Bieksa off the Canucks as soon as possible. He is a terrible, terrible defenseman. He is extremely overrated and I will tell you why:

People think he's supposed to be a top 2/3 defenseman who is gritty, sticks up for his teammates, has a mean streak and can put up points while playing solid defense.

He is not gritty. Can't remember the last time he made a big hit.

He doesn't stick up for his teammates. When was the last time he dropped the gloves? He's not even good at it anyways. He's fought to a stalemate with fellow poor fighter M. Richards and I recall him getting his ass handed to him by Ben Eager in that Chicago linebrawl a few years back.

Mean streak is non-existent for the reasons mentioned above.

He may put up points and is coming off a career year offensively, but man is he brutal on the powerplay. He plays on the 2nd unit and all I ever see him do is casually log the puck up the ice, attempt a fancy move at the opposing blueline, only for him to fail and let the opposition get the puck. Can't even hit the side of a barn with his shot.

He is also atrocious defensively. His plus minus looks good but that is because he plays with an elite shutdown d-man in Dan Hamhuis. When he's paired with someone like Alex Edler he is always exposed for the bad defenseman he is with his boneheaded plays.

I do not understand the love he gets from the Vancouver community. He may be a good community guy, but so were guys like Naslund, Linden, Mitchell, and the Sedins.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Buffalo fans went on about how Paul Gaustad and Ryan Miller were close and great friends, but he was still dealt.

A business is a business and if Gillis feels a deal for Bieksa makes the Nucks better, Bieksa would be gone in an instant if he didn't have a NMC, or a NTC.
Naturally, but him being a core player through not only his play but his locker room presence within the team, that certainly adds some intrinsic value to Bieksa.

And yeah, Gaustad was dealt but it took an overpayment for that to happen.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:56 AM
GoodbyeLuongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
I want Bieksa off the Canucks as soon as possible. He is a terrible, terrible defenseman. He is extremely overrated and I will tell you why:

People think he's supposed to be a top 2/3 defenseman who is gritty, sticks up for his teammates, has a mean streak and can put up points while playing solid defense.

He doesn't stick up for his teammates. When was the last time he dropped the gloves? He's not even good at it anyways. He's fought to a stalemate with fellow poor fighter M. Richards and I recall him getting his ass handed to him by Ben Eager in that Chicago linebrawl a few years back.

He may put up points and is coming off a career year offensively, but man is he brutal on the powerplay. He plays on the 2nd unit and all I ever see him do is casually log the puck up the ice, attempt a fancy move at the opposing blueline, only for him to fail and let the opposition get the puck. Can't even hit the side of a barn with his shot.

He is also atrocious defensively. His plus minus looks good but that is because he plays with an elite shutdown d-man in Dan Hamhuis. When he's paired with someone like Alex Edler he is always exposed for the bad defenseman he is with his boneheaded plays.

I do not understand the love he gets from the Vancouver community. He may be a good community guy, but so were guys like Naslund, Linden, Mitchell, and the Sedins.
Are you like watching his junior career? He's nasty and gritty back there. Your alone in wanting him gone. And he puts up good numbers offensively

GoodbyeLuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Quote:

Talk to fans of other teams man. Burkas can be very inconsistent but he was vancouvers best d man their cup final year for a reason. He is a heart and soul player. He plays his role to a tee when he's on. When he's not, he can look frighteningly average tho lol

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:34 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Buffalo fans went on about how Paul Gaustad and Ryan Miller were close and great friends, but he was still dealt.

A business is a business and if Gillis feels a deal for Bieksa makes the Nucks better, Bieksa would be gone in an instant if he didn't have a NMC, or a NTC.
It was all a ploy by Regier to get Miller going, knowing he plays his best when he has a chip on his shoulder

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:44 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:

In this case it is not only a close friendship between the players, it is a close friendship on a best friends level between the wives. For anyone married, it is well known not to be the cause of separating best friends from your wife especially when half the time you are on the road and not around home.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:47 AM
KISSland

I wish we could trade Bieksa. Not that I don't like him. Id just rather have Edler over Bieksa if we have to let one go and we are upgrading our D.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:48 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I appriciate you're offering something of value, but the Canucks likely decline. He's been drafted, developped and lives here, his family is close to other families in the organization, and he's bff with Kesler and Burrows, forming our core witht he Sedins.

IMO, for the value we'd get back for Bieksa, we might as well try to trade Edler or the Sedins instead. That's the kind of value to the team and community we're talking about here, despite some band wagon fans wanting him moved after a freak injury.
Wait did you just say you would decline bieksa for lucic?

Out of hamhuis, edler, and bieksa, I would likely move bieksa. For lucic i would take a cab to his house and ask him to waive his ntc.

That would never happen though.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:48 AM
tututooter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Talk to fans of other teams man. Burkas can be very inconsistent but he was vancouvers best d man their cup final year for a reason. He is a heart and soul player. He plays his role to a tee when he's on. When he's not, he can look frighteningly average tho lol
Hahaha best typo ever

tututooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:49 AM
asdfman
Weeeee

Quote:

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:49 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Wait did you just say you would decline bieksa for lucic?

Out of hamhuis, edler, and bieksa, I would likely move bieksa. For lucic i would do that straight up, and ask him to waive his ntc.

That would never happen though.
Same. It would be pretty funny to see Schneiders reaction if we got Lucic.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:06 AM
Anomander Rake

Quote:

He was second on the team in hits last season.

Quote:

Bieksa had four fights last year according to hockeyfights. He won them all.

Quote:
Edler scores a point on the powerplay every 13.6 minutes.
Bieksa scores a point on the powerplay every 13.4 minutes.

Bieksa scores on the powerplay at a better rate despite the fact Edler plays on the first unit with the Sedins and Kesler, while Bieksa gets a revolving door of north south wingers and doesn't even get a true center on his second unit.

I'm not even going to bother responding to the rest of your post because it's quite clear you:
A: Don't actually watch hockey.
B: Watch hockey but don't really understand what's going on.
C: Hate Bieksa and view him through such a lense of negativity it's impossible for you to make an accurate judgement about him.

Bieksa is a solid first pairing defender. He wasn't second in the entire league for even strength points amongst defensemen by being terrible at his position. He didn't log 2:35 per game shorthanded by being a poor defender, and he didn't form one half of one of the five best shutdown pairings in the entire league by being a liability defensively.

Anomander Rake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:27 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Part of me wanted Bieksa to sign elsewhere just so it would end the ridiculous bash fest that happens everytime hes mentioned.

But part of me wanted him to stay just so he could annoy all those who have an illogical hate for him.

Hes a good dman and most importantly hes flexible. Hes played the shut down. Hes played the offensive role. Is he the best dman? No.

But he gets ragged on way to much by some vancouver fans.

As for his toughness its true hes bit dropping his gloves regularly and hes not taking on the John Scotts of the world. But thats more a reflection of his role as an important player on the team.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Part of me wanted Bieksa to sign elsewhere just so it would end the ridiculous bash fest that happens everytime hes mentioned.

But part of me wanted him to stay just so he could annoy all those who have an illogical hate for him.

Hes a good dman and most importantly hes flexible. Hes played the shut down. Hes played the offensive role. Is he the best dman? No.

But he gets ragged on way to much by some vancouver fans.

As for his toughness its true hes bit dropping his gloves regularly and hes not taking on the John Scotts of the world. But thats more a reflection of his role as an important player on the team.
Every player, no matter how good they are, will get ragged if they play for Vancouver.

Sedins get ragged. Luongo gets absolutely murdered on a consistent basis. Kesler, Edler, Bieksa all get their share of hate. Hell, even Schneider and Hamhuis get **** from time to time.

If you don't want to get ragged while playing in Vancouver, you better drop a minimum of 80 goals and 150 assists while being 6'3, 220lb beast that can beat the snot out of John Scott.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Every player, no matter how good they are, will get ragged if they play for Vancouver.

Sedins get ragged. Luongo gets absolutely murdered on a consistent basis. Kesler, Edler, Bieksa all get their share of hate. Hell, even Schneider and Hamhuis get **** from time to time.

If you don't want to get ragged while playing in Vancouver, you better drop a minimum of 80 goals and 150 assists while being 6'3, 220lb beast that can beat the snot out of John Scott.
I disagree. Sedins dont get nearly the level of ragging Bieksa has. Ditto Luongo although he definitely gets his share.

I havent come across many posters who state "i want then off my team" then go into a long totally irrational diatribe.

Not to mention i dont here nearly as much Luongo/Sedins only play as well as they do because player X is babysitting them.

But yeah Vancouver fans have unreal expectations.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:39 AM
mackattack

Quote:

You have no idea what you're talking about. http://canucksarmy.com/2012/6/18/ham...-heavy-lifting

mackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:48 AM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:

lost you when you said he is a terrible terrible defenseman, then again when you said he's not a good fighter.

pullyoursocksup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:24 AM
TopShelf19
Rookie User

Kev Bieksa is the man, i think he would gather alot of attention on the market

TopShelf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Spice Trader

Great interiews,
Respected member of the core
Puts up good #'s for his cap hit.
Gave us a discount when he signed
Has bad moments (so does every hockey player)
Is in a position we are thin @ (rh top 4)

Consensus /thread

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I disagree. Sedins dont get nearly the level of ragging Bieksa has. Ditto Luongo although he definitely gets his share.
And with one sentence you've outed yourself as only having watched the Canucks for the last 3 seasons.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Shareefruck

Bieksa's the kind of defenseman who looks absolutely horrible when he isn't in a great situation. He's better off staying here and playing with Hamhuis than he is going anywhere else and risk sucking.

If you're trading for him, you'd better make damn sure you're planning to play him with a strong defensive defenseman who he'd have chemistry with.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:44 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomander Rake View Post
B: Watch hockey but don't really understand what's going on.

This is likely the correct answer. Too many casual fans remember his bone headed plays (and there are some doozies) but conveniently forget most of the season. He can certainly be frustrating at times, but it for those same reasons that he puts up decent offensive numbers.

The "Luongo sucks" crowd uses the same "reasoning".

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:45 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
And with one sentence you've outed yourself as only having watched the Canucks for the last 3 seasons.
Except his username seems to contradict what you've said.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:

Someone missed the Marleau fight last playoffs, or the super man punch on Richards.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:58 PM
crackerjack

I laugh at the thought of Bieksa taking a "hometown" discount. If anything, he is overpaid.

crackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote