HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NBA Off-Season Thread: There's a new team in town

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 01:08 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
The Knicks are such an embarrassing franchise to root for, they really are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

That's a deep team. Old and crusty, but deep and talented.
What's crazy is every time you think they have reached rock bottom they find a way to mess things up more. Inconceivable. lol

They really might not win another championship in our lifetimes. Really interesting to compare the Knicks to the Rangers. One team is clearly headed in the right direction, the other continues to chase old vets looking for a final payday.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:10 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Are they? Reports seem to indicate otherwise.
I didn't see the Felton news when I said that.

As much as I was happy for what Lin did for us I don't know if paying him 25 mill over 3 years, with 14 mill due in the 3rd year is a prudent thing to do.

To me, we might not have the sheer star power to be a Miami, Chicago, or OKC, but we have more depth then any of those teams and that's how Grunwald is banking on winning. Our second unit could be a first unit on some teams. What I like about what Grunwald is doing is he's going out and really throwing together the best team he can and making sure everyone is signed no longer then 3 years. If it doesn't work out then in 3 years only Melo and Shump will be here and we can completely start over again if it doesn't work. (this paragraph wasn't directed at you bb).

07-15-2012, 01:11 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Also, this hasnt come out yet but Jason Kidd wrapped his car around a pole in South Hampton last night and apparently was wasted. A friend of a friend works for the police there.

edit: actually it just is being reported by ESPN now lol
So a wife beating drunk, huh?

Portland would have probably been a better fit.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:17 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

This has Dolan written all over it.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
This has Dolan written all over it.
If anything, Dolan is the one who wants to keep Lin and im going to say the person who wouldn't is Melo.

I don't understand why people are caring so much about the contract. This team has a 3 year window anyways and Lin's contract would be 3 years with a 4th option. I don't get it. All it means is that Dolan would have to pay the luxury tax up the ass. Cap space means nothing now since we'll have really none anyways and there's no one out there to get with it besides a CP3 pipe dream. All contracts for this team will be up in 3 years besides Melo, I believe.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

LOL @ Anthony calling anyone's contract "ridiculous." Man, I just can't stand him.

What a jerk.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:40 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
LOL @ Anthony calling anyone's contract "ridiculous." Man, I just can't stand him.

What a jerk.
It is ridiculous

Old
07-15-2012, 01:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
It is ridiculous
And Anthony's isn't? The manner in which Anthony acted for months before he got traded to the Knicks wasn't? I can name a number of things about Anthony that are ridiculous. It's just a totally two-faced comment from Anthony.

And is Lin's contract really so ridiculous? His team and league will make boatloads of money off of him if he manages to sustain even some of his success. Why shouldn't he make some of that?

Old
07-15-2012, 01:48 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
If anything, Dolan is the one who wants to keep Lin and im going to say the person who wouldn't is Melo.

I don't understand why people are caring so much about the contract. This team has a 3 year window anyways and Lin's contract would be 3 years with a 4th option. I don't get it. All it means is that Dolan would have to pay the luxury tax up the ass. Cap space means nothing now since we'll have really none anyways and there's no one out there to get with it besides a CP3 pipe dream. All contracts for this team will be up in 3 years besides Melo, I believe.
It IS Dolan. The early reports were that the Knicks would match any offer.
Then late word Friday, was the Knicks were angry the Rockets back-loaded the deal in the 3rd year. Which means Dolan would have to pay luxury tax.
It has also been reported that Lin gave Houston some inside info (to get more money) about what the Knicks plan to do. It's being assumed Dolan isn't too happy about this.

Knicks probably also don't think Lin is worth it.

Quote:
It is ridiculous
Exactly...

Old
07-15-2012, 02:03 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
And Anthony's isn't? The manner in which Anthony acted for months before he got traded to the Knicks wasn't? I can name a number of things about Anthony that are ridiculous. It's just a totally two-faced comment from Anthony.

And is Lin's contract really so ridiculous? His team and league will make boatloads of money off of him if he manages to sustain even some of his success. Why shouldn't he make some of that?
Lin is NOT worth $30 million. Especially when you have Chris Paul whose BEGGING to become a Knick after the season.

Just because Melo has a what you consider a bad contract doesn't mean the Knicks should just throw money at Lin, who while has skill, turns the ball over a lot and doesn't defend well. Not to mention, he only played 25 games here.

If the Knicks continue to win, then it doesn't matter if Lin is on the team, they'll make money. The glitz and glamour only last so long.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:06 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Paul's name keeps coming up. How are we getting him?

Old
07-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
He's a free agent I think

Old
07-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
It depends on how Amare plays, if he plays subpar like last year, he will be gone IMO

Old
07-15-2012, 02:15 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

It would probably have to be a sign and trade, but it's certainly not out of the question.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:25 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
It would probably have to be a sign and trade, but it's certainly not out of the question.
I read that this new CBA doesn't allow teams to sign and trade if they're paying the tax?

I don't know all the details/rules but I don't think the Knicks can do that unless Paul's a FA. That's what I've read.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Lin is NOT worth $30 million. Especially when you have Chris Paul whose BEGGING to become a Knick after the season.

Just because Melo has a what you consider a bad contract doesn't mean the Knicks should just throw money at Lin, who while has skill, turns the ball over a lot and doesn't defend well. Not to mention, he only played 25 games here.
What does any of this have to do with my post? I didn't say that they should sign Lin. I'm not criticizing the Knicks for their Lin decision one way or another.

I'm taking issue Anthony for saying things he has no business saying, especially when they threw way too much money and assets at him. How do you say you want a guy back on your team and in the same sentence talk about him having a ridiculous contract, when your own behavior suggests that you're an incredibly selfish player who cares far less about winning than making money and getting what you want? Lin is trying to get paid, just like anyone else. Just like Anthony. But Lin isn't holding an entire franchise, 11 teammates, and a Hall of Fame coach hostage for half a season to do it, like Anthony did.

Quote:
If the Knicks continue to win, then it doesn't matter if Lin is on the team, they'll make money. The glitz and glamour only last so long.

Again, this bears absolutely no connection to my comment. The Knicks will make money whether they win or lose, whether Lin is on the team. The Knicks could be the worst team in the league, they'd still make money. In fact, they were the worst team in the league for years, and they still made a ton of money.

But even a reasonable amount of success in Lin's future will mean that any team he plays on will make a significantly larger amount of money simply due to his presence. He's entitled to a piece of that pie, and I have no qualms with him trying to get paid, just like most players do the first chance they get.

It's a totally hypocritical and unnecessary comment for Anthony to make, but that's the type of person Anthony is, as the exploits of his career have long since shown.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:37 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
He's a free agent I think
after this year

Old
07-15-2012, 03:08 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

LOL the Knicks traded the Greek they just drafted in the 2nd round for Felton.

Amare Stoudamire is the most tenured Knick.

It really is a circus.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:13 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The Melo contract isn't ridiculous. You get what you pay for -- lots of scoring. You can go back the last 30 or so years, and everybody who is consistently one of the top scorers in the league are also some of the highest paid.

Alex English, Kiki Vandegwe, Bernard King, Karl Malone, Mark Agguire, Clyde Drexler, etc.

Lin's contract isnt ridiculous. It's undeserving. Melo's contract is not undeserving.

Last edited by GWOW: 07-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old
07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I hope they don't match, especially now with Felton coming back (which I'm absolutely stoked about ).

That contract for a guy who played one good month in his entire career? Sure he was awesome to watch, and revitalized the Knicks, but he doesn't deserve that RIDICULOUS contract.

From a business standpoint, paying Lin $30 million in the third year of that contract might make business sense with the Asian-American contingent of Knicks fans, but from a basketball standpoint it makes no sense.

So happy Raymond is back

Old
07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

In the 3rd year of his contract, Lin will be making more money than Rondo and Tony Parker, and only three million less than what Chris paul is making right now.

Melo is 100pct right.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:37 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I hope they don't match, especially now with Felton coming back (which I'm absolutely stoked about ).

That contract for a guy who played one good month in his entire career? Sure he was awesome to watch, and revitalized the Knicks, but he doesn't deserve that RIDICULOUS contract.

From a business standpoint, paying Lin $30 million in the third year of that contract might make sense with the Asian-American contingent of Knicks fans, but from a basketball standpoint it makes no sense.

So happy Raymond is back
It's a terrible contract, and IMO collectively replacing Dalembert, Scola and Dragic with Lin, Howard and Motiejunas is only a slight improvement.

Of course, if all of Orlando's roster follows Dwight to Houston then they could be a playoff team this year, but I dont see it.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

People excited about Ray need a reality check. Look at what he averaged in the 80+ games he played before and after his Knicks tenure, when he wasn't under D'antoni.

He's not going to thrive in Woodson's system.

Lin might not either, but the way I see it we have 2 years to win a title before everything collapses. Sign Lin and go for it, because if not we're just gonna wallow in futility anyway.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
$30 million for a month of entertaining Basketball.

Nothing against Lin for going for that type of money but the Knicks are smart to part ways.

07-15-2012, 07:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
In the 3rd year of his contract, Lin will be making more money than Rondo and Tony Parker, and only three million less than what Chris paul is making right now.

Melo is 100pct right.
Doesn't Anthony, right now, make more money than all three of those players despite not being as good as any of them? Isn't he one of the top 5 or 6 paid players in the league despite being nowhere near one of the top 5 or 6 players in the league?

When is the last time any player made any subjective comment of this nature about the money another player is receiving to the press, much less a guy on his own team?

Aside from guys who have been charged or found guilty of some sort of malicious crime, or have said or done something really inappropriate from an ethical perspective, I struggle to think of a more unlikable player in professional sports today than Anthony.

Closed Thread