HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Does Steve Mason have any value?

Old
07-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Portzline Columbus Beat Writer reported the other day on twitter the blue jackets were still interested in Bernier. From what i read he pretty much is bang on stuff for the jackets,
They haven't talked to LA about Bernier since before getting Bobrovsky. The article recently in the Dispatch that you are referencing either downplayed or forgot that fact, I forget which.

People are forgetting that Sanford did well as well as York behind that defense last year. Mason had his goalie coach from Juniors and now has Ian Clarke. He has been given every opportunity.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:31 PM
number72

I understood Mason started playing better when he went to league maximum sized pads.
Before that he was a sieve and too much space allowing wingers to pick open areas.

That said, he could be traded for a similar struggling prospect/player.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Co Ho*

Product of Hitchcock. I think it's likely that he won't ever put up those numbers again, at least the SO stat.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:37 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
However, Howson came out and said that they weren't interested in Bernier later that day
Well imo i dont think howson would admit to asking about anyone. He wont even confirm nashs so called list of teams recently on a tsn interview.To me he doesnt sound like he wants to nogotiate in the media.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
He's still a young goalie who, in the right environment could certainly pick up the pieces and make something out of the rest of his career. However, he could also just as easily turn into a Jim Carey. With that said, his value currently is not necessarily negative, but Columbus would be better off keeping him versus what they'd get back as a return.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:41 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
They haven't talked to LA about Bernier since before getting Bobrovsky. The article recently in the Dispatch that you are referencing either downplayed or forgot that fact, I forget which.

People are forgetting that Sanford did well as well as York behind that defense last year. Mason had his goalie coach from Juniors and now has Ian Clarke. He has been given every opportunity.
the quote was from july 13 that they were interested so this is well after they got bob. So what ur saying is the writer doesnt know what hes talking about basically. I dont see him reporting something like that, Even if the article was wrong im sure he would have posted they weren't after the fact/. which he hasnt.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:47 PM
PasDaSquini

Mason reminds me of Raycroft. I am sure Mason has some value, but it is really low at this point.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Would Columbus fans have any interest in Mason for LaBarbera (purely for contract readons) and a solid, cheap, young depth D like Schlemko? Perhaps "B" futures if you prefer? Guys like Goncharov or Tikhonov? Maybe mid to late picks?

Basically, a cheaper contract and some long shots.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:56 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
the quote was from july 13 that they were interested so this is well after they got bob. So what ur saying is the writer doesnt know what hes talking about basically. I dont see him reporting something like that, Even if the article was wrong im sure he would have posted they weren't after the fact/. which he hasnt.
Howson had a interview with Gino Reda of TSN and the first thing that was asked was something like this,"There was a report today that you phoned LA regarding goaltending Jonathon Bernier in a deal that would have involved Rick Nash, can you tell me more about that?"
Howson said something like this, "Before we acquired Bobrovsky, we talked to a number of teams regarding their goalies so if the report is based on that, that would be accurate."

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:09 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Howson had a interview with Gino Reda of TSN and the first thing that was asked was something like this,"There was a report today that you phoned LA regarding goaltending Jonathon Bernier in a deal that would have involved Rick Nash, can you tell me more about that?"
Howson said something like this, "Before we acquired Bobrovsky, we talked to a number of teams regarding their goalies so if the report is based on that, that would be accurate."
That doesn't mean he still doesn't have interest in bernier. All that means is he talked at the draft about other goalies in a package for nash. He said nothing either way on still interested. As a matter of fact it sounded like he was trying to cover something up, As he stumbled thru the interview trying to sound like a politiction He avoid the question totally imo Btw i heard the interview as well

Old
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I think you could get a player if you are willing to take on salary something like Lombardi for Mason. But if not then a late pick or C prospect is all you get

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

It would be a horrible time to trade Mason. There is no need to move his contract and his value can't possibly be lower. Let him reform in the AHL or ECHL and earn his way back to the bigs then let him backup whom ever is in net at the time. Don't trade him for peanuts just to unload him. Need to set this guy up with a bang on goalie coach and a psychiatrist.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
No, I know the article was after they got Bobrovsky. It was just rehashing old info though. None of it was new.

Columbus may or may not have interest in Bernier. Fact of the matter is, though, the last time Howson inquired was before the draft.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Billdo

vCash: 300
I'd take a flier on him over here in New Jersey. Trade a late round pick for him or something like that.

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:30 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
Leafs would kill for Mason!

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Kadri43

I would not touch Mason unless we could dump Komi

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I would not touch Mason unless we could dump Komi
I would rather take a year of Mason's contract than two of Komisarek's.

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:46 PM
GeeoffBrown

I think Mason's issues are all mental and that if he solves them he could be an elite NHL starter. Although, I suppose that's the issue with a lot of borderline NHL goalies.

I'd take a risk on him. I'd do a reclamation for reclamation trade. Like...Matt Stajan for Steve Mason.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:31 PM
palindrom

If Mason was on an ELC and was playing in the AHL (as Schneider was doing at 23-24yo) he would be considered as a good goalie prospect with a clear positive value.

As many others player, the problem come with his contracts, im not sure he will get a qualifying offer unless he improve his play next season.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Ricky Bobby

As a Leafs fan I'd take a chance on him but just wouldn't be willing to give up much for him.

Goalies take longer to develop and Mason is still young.

Mason had success over a decent period of time. He was a very top goalie his entire junior career and displayed very high end skill at the NHL level.

If he played insulated minutes and was brought along slowly on a better team like Rask, Schneider or Bernier did everybody would still be high on this guy.

As far as his contract there is only 1 season left on it then he becomes an RFA so if he completely flops a team has the ability to just walk away. 2.9 million also doesn't buy an established legitimate starting goaltender these days (see Dubnyk at 3.5).

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Iridium128

Columbus will make any goalie look bad. I think he just needs a new team to play for, I'd trade Frolik for him.

Iridium128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:58 PM
oilwings

As an Oiler fan I would to have Mason. He's 24. He'll make a great backup for DD and maybe even challenge DD for the starter. A change of scenery is what Mason needs.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
I think a solid fit would be in phoenix . Sean Burke did wonders with Mike Smith and mason could go there quietly and re-gain his form and career. I think he is an upgrade over labarbera and maybe a labarbera for mason trade ?
I wouldn't say that Mason is an "upgrade" over Labarbera, but I agree that Phoenix might be a good destination for him, Sean Burke might be able to get the best out of the kid.

Mason is the Doug Favell of the 21st century. On a good team with a good defensive system, he can be pretty decent... on a lousy team like C-Bus, he's lousy right along with them.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

we saw with mike smith and brian elliot and craig anderson before them and other guys... that goalies can pick themselves off the scrap heap and become studs at any given moment if they have the right skills to begin with

we also saw with some guys like jim carey and byron dafoe and andrew raycroft just to name some from bruins history that guys can go from the penthouse to the outhouse overnigth if their confidence gets shattered

one thing we see in common with all the names i mentioned is they all had no trade value once they started to suck

mason will probably make some one very happy one day... i believe in his talent and do think he will turn things around but not in columbus. columbus should probably bite the bullet and trade him for some other tender in a similar situation... maybe ray emery now? maybe james reimer if reimer struggles? not sure who but mason needs a change of scenery and isnt worth alot in return

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
As an Oiler fan I would to have Mason. He's 24. He'll make a great backup for DD and maybe even challenge DD for the starter. A change of scenery is what Mason needs.
mason for khabibulin might be great for both teams... khabibulin can back up bobvoski at this point in his career... and mason gets a fresh chance to salvage his career with a young team

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote