HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-11-2012, 03:15 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
The point was I did what you did... compared a players worst season, to another players best. You can make any player look bad that way.

I don't want to overly defend Gomez, as I hated the trade from day one, but to say Prust is more offensive than Gomez is just plain wrong. There's a reason someone was stupid enough to give him over 7million a year, and it's not because he "makes a play every 5 games"

All I said was he needs to be given a chance to see if he can rebound. I can't imagine they won't take a look, and see which Gomez they got this year, especially since it's a new coaching staff. If he looks anything like last year, he'll be in the minors.
Even if Gomez brings slightly more offensively (and certainly not goal scoring) at this point than Prust he's significantly worse in every other aspect of the game.

With Prust the third line can play against good opposition. With Gomez it needs to be sheltered. Sheltering the third line means more responsabilities again for poor Plekanec who should be allowed to focus on offense once in a while.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 07-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
gusfring

Love the Prust signing... Can't wait to see him in the lineup.

It will take him about 4 shifts to become a fan fave...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:11 AM
centrehice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Even if Gomez brings slightly more offensively (and certainly not goal scoring) at this point than Prust he's significantly worse in every other aspect of the game.

With Prust the third line can play against good opposition. With Gomez it needs to be sheltered. Sheltering the third line means more responsabilities again for poor Plekanec who should be allowed to focus on offense once in a while.

Yes, I forgot how Gomez is completely useless defensively. I remember how much Martin had to shelter him on the way to the conference finals. He didn't get any playing time on his run to the cup either, because he needed to be sheltered...

Gomez is overpaid, and under performing, even for a 4 mill player, but he is not COMPLETELY useless like people here like to make him out to be.

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

Yes, I forgot how Gomez is completely useless defensively. I remember how much Martin had to shelter him on the way to the conference finals. He didn't get any playing time on his run to the cup either, because he needed to be sheltered...

Gomez is overpaid, and under performing, even for a 4 mill player, but he is not COMPLETELY useless like people here like to make him out to be.
If we are following the Corsci ratings from last year, yes Gomez was completely useless and insanely sheltered, and still failed to produce.

He started in the offensive zone a ton, got outshot when on the ice, played against an insanely low level of competition. He was definitely sheltered.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

I wouldn't take Gomez at minimum. That's how useless this guy was. This isn't Space Jam and some midget aliens didn't take his talent. It doesn't dry up, or go away after a couple of days like a rash, but there's gotta be a reason why he's become so useless every where.

We're stuck with this turd again more than likely. The least he could do is throw a hit, or back check. Every since coming to the habs Gomez has shot less and hit less than he did with the Rangers. Must be something about Montreal that brings out the worst in Gomez.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:39 PM
InglewoodJack

Ugh, **** it. Stick Gomez at the 2nd line centre position for the first five games. Watch him put up points, get some confidence.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Ugh, **** it. Stick Gomez at the 2nd line centre position for the first five games. Watch him put up points, get some confidence.
He might bounce back, provided he doesn't get booed off the ice in the home opener. I know it's hard for many fans, but cheering the guy on could go a long way.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Gomez is very dependent on the quality of his linemates to perform. Sadly, we have players that are less dependent on the quality of their linemates and have earned their keep(DD, Pleks) while he has not.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:50 PM
theOutsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Gomez is very dependent on the quality of his linemates to perform. Sadly, we have players that are less dependent on the quality of their linemates and have earned their keep(DD, Pleks) while he has not.
Desharnais is as dependent on the quality of his linemates as Gomez is, if not more

theOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOutsider View Post
Desharnais is as dependent on the quality of his linemates as Gomez is, if not more
Well, no.

Gomez has good wingers (Gionta/Moen, beginning of the season): Don't produce

Desharnais has good wingers: (Pacioretty/AK): Produce, earns a better linemate, or even is used as a solution to get Cole finally going.

Does Desharnais's linemates help him? Sure. But he is far from being dependant to them as Gomez is.

Impossible Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Any chance Prust plays center???

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I wouldn't take Gomez at minimum. That's how useless this guy was. This isn't Space Jam and some midget aliens didn't take his talent. It doesn't dry up, or go away after a couple of days like a rash, but there's gotta be a reason why he's become so useless every where.

We're stuck with this turd again more than likely. The least he could do is throw a hit, or back check. Every since coming to the habs Gomez has shot less and hit less than he did with the Rangers. Must be something about Montreal that brings out the worst in Gomez.
Oh, don't be so sure about that

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Well, no.

Gomez has good wingers (Gionta/Moen, beginning of the season): Don't produce

Desharnais has good wingers: (Pacioretty/AK): Produce, earns a better linemate, or even is used as a solution to get Cole finally going.

Does Desharnais's linemates help him? Sure. But he is far from being dependant to them as Gomez is.
Uhh.. I'm not the biggest Gomez fan out there by any means.. but Pax+AK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gionta+Moen.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Uhh.. I'm not the biggest Gomez fan out there by any means.. but Pax+AK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gionta+Moen.
You are saying MaxPac and Ak46 together are less better than Gionta and Moen?
Got any proof to say that?

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:28 PM
EveryDay

This thread is about Brandon Prust... not Gomez....leave Gomez away from this team!

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:59 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
He might bounce back, provided he doesn't get booed off the ice in the home opener. I know it's hard for many fans, but cheering the guy on could go a long way.
He's had a season and a half of terrible hockey, not to mention he was coming back from an injury. Not saying he's good for 60 points, but I think putting him with the right linemates and giving him confidence would make him not only a serviceable centre, but a good second line centre worth 45 points.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:04 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOutsider View Post
No way. 2 years ago Desharnais put up roughly the same PPG as Gomez. Gomez played the entire season with Gionta and Desharnais played most of the season on the 4th line and 2nd PP.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
No way. 2 years ago Desharnais put up roughly the same PPG as Gomez. Gomez played the entire season with Gionta and Desharnais played most of the season on the 4th line and 2nd PP.
DD may not have Gomez' speed, but he's clearly the better player. It's not even close at this point

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
first we were roadkill now Prust won't beat the Bruins tough guys. who gives a flying ****? the guy is here to contribute and deter - as part of a new group toughness mentality. i could care less what bruin fans 'think' on the main board...a bottom 4 of armstrong, white, moen and prust will give the Bruins pause. Besides the giraffe and lucic aren't there to fight all night. a trio of white/moen/prust will keep thornton and mcquaid from running subban all night too. a great pickup. prust is a reincarnation of Nilan, minus the hands
Totally agree with the above

And, we have to remember...Prust is a solid defensive forward and great PKer (very useful, very important) and is present to defend teammates.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
DD may not have Gomez' speed, but he's clearly the better player. It's not even close at this point
Desharnais is faster now.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
ChoseLa

Can we take this discusting Gomez conversation away from our precious Proust thread?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I just hope I'm right in thinking that having tough players willing to go to war for you makes the team as a whole tougher.

Having another d who can fight and be physical in place of Weber/Diaz/Kaberle would be ideal.

Still loving the Prust, or as some of you are saying, "Proust" signing.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:59 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I just hope I'm right in thinking that having tough players willing to go to war for you makes the team as a whole tougher.

Having another d who can fight and be physical in place of Weber/Diaz/Kaberle would be ideal.

Still loving the Prust, or as some of you are saying, "Proust" signing.
Would you want to play against a team that has Marcel Proust in your face the whole game?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Would you want to play against a team that has Marcel Proust in your face the whole game?

Everyone looks bad in a painting.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:47 AM
S Bah

I think the NHL is going to make a stand on the "Goon Issue" staged fighting and players like McGratten and half the Toronto Maple Leafs team are going to find employment elsewhere.Concussions are destroying players careers like no time in the past,Brian Burke said as much last year when he had to send one of his tough guys to the AHL.The Habs managed to sign two tough guys that can actually play the game and score also. It's all good in Habland with Bergevin & Dudley having played in the NHL they know what's missing and they sign the best players to fill their needs.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote