HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What are the Predators going to do?

Old
07-15-2012, 11:17 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
And why is that? He should have risked giving up all three of his biggest players? Does this opinion have anything to do with you being from Ohio, home of the team that looks at Nashville as their mortal enemy?

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:21 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I don't get why GMs get blamed for players leaving via free agency.

Sure, GMs can't just throw their hands in the air with every UFA on their team but it's clear that Suter wanted to play in Minnesota. For all we know he's dreamt of that moment his whole life. Why is that Poile's fault?

I think he made a really ballzy move trading his 1st for Gaustad. It reinforced to everyone in NSH and in the NHL that the Preds want to win a cup.
Because players won't do that on NHL 12 be a gm.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:23 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I don't get why GMs get blamed for players leaving via free agency.

Sure, GMs can't just throw their hands in the air with every UFA on their team but it's clear that Suter wanted to play in Minnesota. For all we know he's dreamt of that moment his whole life. Why is that Poile's fault?

I think he made a really ballzy move trading his 1st for Gaustad. It reinforced to everyone in NSH and in the NHL that the Preds want to win a cup.
Sometimes things are viewed within the context of the time, and are given a fair appraisal -- good move or bad. Other times people look back on something that didn't work out, completely neglect the context of the time, and opine on how they wouldn't have done it even remotely the same.

Hindsight is a beautiful drug.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:25 AM
InjuredChoker

What's going on here?

Poile shouldn't have signed Rinne? What the ...

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:27 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
What's going on here?

Poile shouldn't have signed Rinne? What the ...
HF users sense of sarcasm has been completely neutered by the

...pathetic really

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:27 AM
nwaZ

Focus on keeping Weber and Suter. With defenders like them and Blum, Josi coming up the ranks you have no need for a goalie paid 7 m $ a year.

Could've used the 1st pick for some goalie instead of ****in* Gaustad.

Last edited by nwaZ: 07-15-2012 at 11:34 AM.
nwaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:38 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwaZ View Post
Focus on keeping Weber and Suter. With defenders like them and Blum, Josi coming up the ranks you have no need for a goalie paid 7 m $ a year.

Could've used the 1st pick for some goalie instead of ****in* Gaustad.
First of all, the money was there for Suter even with Rinne. It's there for Weber. So that part is thrown out of the window. It wasn't about money with Suter. He was getting paid where ever he went. He wanted to go to Minnesota. If it were about the biggest pay check he would be in Philly. It was about location, and apparently about playing with Parise.

Second, are you proposing that Poile should have traded Rinne at the deadline, but that the first should have been the piece used to get a goalie? What should Rinne have been traded for, and what goalie could have been gotten with a low first? Gaustad actually came in an played a pretty important role -- he and Gill boosted the PK. Both were re-signed, too, so this whole "a first was too much for Gaustad" nonsense is getting old.

If you are implying that Rinne should have been dealt at the deadline then it's insane. Trade away one of the top goalies in the game while your team is battling for a 4th place finish (at the time it was still possible, though not probable, to finish first in the division)? Really?

Old
07-15-2012, 11:38 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
HF users sense of sarcasm has been completely neutered by the

...pathetic really
I'm pretty sure it wasn't sarcasm, but even if it were it isn't as if identifying sarcasm on the internet was once an easy task

Old
07-15-2012, 12:12 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Nashville is definitely one of the most interesting cases of the off-season. On paper, it looks like this team has been pretty well gutted: no Suter, no Radulov, no Kostitsyn and an RFA Shea Weber with an uncertain future.

Yet with all the significant losses to this team, Nashville has some pretty stocked cupboards on the prospect front. There are a lot of key guys that can fill in some of the big holes left by these departing free agents.

IMO, Nashville is going to keep winning the way Nashville has been winning since its inception: stellar team defense, good goaltending and timely scoring. There are going to be a lot of 1-0 hockey games coming up in Smashville, but ultimately, there will still be playoff appearances.

Forwards
This is how I see Nashville stacking up at the start of the season:

Hornqvist - Fisher - Kostitsyn
Bourque - Legwand - Erat
Smith - Gaustad - Wilson
Yip - Spaling - Halischuk
McGrattan

Gabriel Bourque was a decent scoring forward in the playoffs, and I think that success will translate into next season. There are question marks since he's never played a full NHL season, but I think he'll score enough to make him valuable in Nashville.

I really like Nashville re-signing Paul Gaustad. He plays exactly the game Nashville needs: physical, intelligent two-way play with a little bit of scoring. Craig Smith and Colin Wilson will both be back, and I expect their numbers to relatively mirror last season's totals.

Defense

Weber - Klein
Josi - Gill
Ellis - Ekholm
Blum

I stand very firm in my belief that come October, Shea Weber will be a Nashville Predator. If there is no way Poile is able to lock up Weber until the end of his career, he will be taken to arbitration and get a similar salary to the $7.5-million he made in arbitration last time through. That gives Nashville one more full season to figure out Weber's contract situation.

If Weber decides to stay in Nashville, it will be for a massive contract. IMO, it will be more than 15 years in length with a large signing bonus, and valued at over $100-million.

While Suter was by far the biggest loss on Nashville's blueline, the loss of Francis Boullion was pretty significant as well. For that reason, I see Nashville going out and getting at least one veteran defenseman in free agency. Maybe a guy like Michael Roszival or Scott Hannan, assuming they're for cheap, would compliment this defense pretty well.

Nashville's prospect depth on defense is very well documented. Roman Josi and Ryan Ellis are locks to make the team out of camp, but Jon Blum and Mattias Ekholm are very real possibilities as well. I see Nashville being active in bringing a player or two on for tryout contracts to add some friendly competition.

The biggest question remains: can these kids replace what Ryan Suter meant to this team? I think the answer is no, but Nashville's depth ensures that the team isn't undermined by his departure.

The Weber Situation

The last question remains: will Weber be traded?

The instant that Weber shows any inkling of a desire to play elsewhere, Poile will trade him. He will not make the same mistake he made with Suter, and will make every attempt to get good value for him. I think teams like Boston, Ottawa or NYR have the young assets to acquire Weber; I don't reasonable see him being traded within the conference.

TL;DR Nashville will do just fine this season. They have the forwards, defensive prospect depth and solid goaltending to bring them back to the playoffs, even without the big names.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:16 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Just a couple of quick points, mkearney (btw, good post):

First, I'm not sure including the departures of AK and Radulov in Nashville's off season losses is fair. They both played well, but Nashville wasn't markedly better with them. The team was pretty good before they got here, in fact. While I realize keeping them both for an entire season may have improved the offense, we're still talking about a team who was top 10 offensively without them last year. That may not repeat, but it's all we have to go by right now.

Second, while I would be very happy with Weber being back, I think I would be sick if he were paired with Klein

Weber needs a steady defenseman who can move the puck. Josi would be a better fit on that pairing if no one else is obtained. (While we're on the topic of Weber, he cannot be taken to arbitration. The team can only elect to take a player to arbitration once, which happened with Weber last summer, and Weber has already declined to apply this summer)

Third, Bouillon's departure isn't as big of a loss as you are saying it is. He is aging, and was a perma-scratch once Ellis and Gill started playing together. Bouillon and Hillen were depth players at that point. Not to mention Bouillon is getting up there in age. It was nice to have him, but I see his leaving affecting the team next year about as much as Ward's leaving affected the team last year.

But still, I agree that it's very likely Nashville remains a good team next year.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:25 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Just a couple of quick points, mkearney (btw, good post):

First, I'm not sure including the departures of AK and Radulov in Nashville's off season losses is fair. They both played well, but Nashville wasn't markedly better with them. The team was pretty good before they got here, in fact. While I realize keeping them both for an entire season may have improved the offense, we're still talking about a team who was top 10 offensively without them last year. That may not repeat, but it's all we have to go by right now.

Second, while I would be very happy with Weber being back, I think I would be sick if he were paired with Klein

Weber needs a steady defenseman who can move the puck. Josi would be a better fit on that pairing if no one else is obtained.

Third, Bouillon's departure isn't as big of a loss as you are saying it is. He is aging, and was a perma-scratch once Ellis and Gill started playing together. Bouillon and Hillen were depth players at that point. Not to mention Bouillon is getting up there in age. It was nice to have him, but I see his leaving affecting the team next year about as much as Ward's leaving affected the team last year.

But still, I agree that it's very likely Nashville remains a good team next year.

All of those are definitely fair points.

I recall Josi and Gill being paired in the playoffs and playing well, so I kept them together. To be honest, I had no idea who Weber's ideal defense partner would be. The thought of him with anyone other than Suter still seems weird to me.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:47 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Josi and Klein played most of their shifts together at even strength. The three pairings had three guys who could move the puck well (Suter, Josi, and Ellis) with three guys who don't play so well without a puck mover (Weber, Klein, and Gill).

And yes, it's going to be very weird seeing Weber without Suter next year.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearney913 View Post
All of those are definitely fair points.

I recall Josi and Gill being paired in the playoffs and playing well, so I kept them together. To be honest, I had no idea who Weber's ideal defense partner would be. The thought of him with anyone other than Suter still seems weird to me.
imagine what preds fans feel like.

But your post before this one was good and agree with most of it.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:35 PM
racerjoe

I think even without Weber, (yes Weber not Suter) NSH will be fine, they are the definition of a team where the sum of its pieces are geater than the pieces itself. Having said that, where this team goes entirely is on the shoulders of Weber.

If he stays, they just need to reload.

If he leaves, there is a lot of possibilites. For NSH I fear poile is waiting to see if the new CBA is going to help him with Weber. This would be a mistake, as there is a chance it could make him angry, and at this point there is no need to try chancing anything that could make him angry. As some have said, they should make their best pitch now, and if he signs it, they know where he stands, if not, I am sure teams will be lining up. Hell I hope we are.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote