HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Puck in the face

Old
07-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post
Thats great you enjoy your freedom to see a drop better.

Its a game we are all playing for fun right? I dont think there are sny pros here.

Is it worth the risk of a deformed face, losing eye sight, thousands in medical bills for what, to see the ice just a little better out there?
Thanks for the concern

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:33 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Thanks for the concern
No concern, like i said, if you want to be dumb and play without a cage then you deserve and misfortune that comes with it.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:36 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
No concern, like i said, if you want to be dumb and play without a cage then you deserve and misfortune that comes with it.
wow you are quite the troll, aren't you?

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:12 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
wow you are quite the troll, aren't you?
Nope just a pet peeve.

Why should i sit in the box for four minutes for causing blood on a HS cause the guy cant put a cage on?

I get high sticked all the time in my cage and that only draws 2 min.

Your not impressing anyone, put a cage on.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:18 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Nope just a pet peeve.

Why should i sit in the box for four minutes for causing blood on a HS cause the guy cant put a cage on?

so your problem is that you're mad because you High stick someone and its their fault?
wow, I'm impressed.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:20 PM
PaperworkNinja

Sorry to hear about that, man. Get a cage until it heals up, then decide if you want to keep it or not. I've already had two slappers bounce off of mine, so the cage is staying for me.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:25 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
so your problem is that you're mad because you High stick someone and its their fault?
wow, I'm impressed.
Nope. You must have not understood.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:38 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Nope. You must have not understood.
nope, I understand just fine.

BTW your stick... it goes on the ice.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Nope just a pet peeve.

Learn how to play the game; keep your stick on the ice.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:45 PM
LordsCup*

Nope, no problem going to the box when i high stick someone.

One to many pucks to your heads ?

Old
07-15-2012, 05:50 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Nope, no problem going to the box when i high stick someone.

One to many pucks to your heads ?
actually no.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:18 PM
AIREAYE

Haha clearly this dude is off his rocker...trying to tell other people what to wear when it affects neither him nor others around him?

It's different if say, you chastise someone for not wearing a seatbelt or driving under the influence, because wither of those actions can cause serious harm to others. But arguing that someone ELSE should wear a cage? Get your deluded vigilantism out of here CLK. Haha

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:34 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Mine was also a deflection. I took the visor off once I was finished junior. I block lots of shots and I always put my glove in front of my face just in case but this happened so damn fast. Someone on the other team slapped it out of his zone to the neutral zone, me and a guy on the other team both poke for it, off his stick and bam, right in the nose. It actually didn't hurt that much, or as much as you'd think, you're in shock really. I put my hand on my face and there was no blood and I was like wtf? then a few seconds later...it was everywhere. I really, really don't wanna wear a visor but after this...I don't wanna risk losing an eye in rec hockey.
Wow that sounds almost exactly like mine guy took a slap shot from the point deflected up off a teammates stick right in the nose. I blacked out for a second but it was so short I was able to catch myself from falling all the way over with my hand, no blood or pain for a good 5 or 6 seconds and then I started leaking all over the ice. Still it didn't really hurt at all the whole time from the time I was hit sitting in the hospital til it was healed all the way. It broke and swelled up really fast though. I started wearing a fishbowl and was back playing the next day

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:46 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Nope just a pet peeve.

sounds like someone needs to learn to control their stick

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
sounds like someone needs to learn to control their stick
Agreed, I don't know about you but the few times I've hit someone in the face with my stick the last thing I'm thinking about is being mad if I have to sit in the box an extra 2 minutes because it drew blood. It feels like **** to hit someone in the face and I feel sorry for them, not myself.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:46 PM
LordsCup*

Im not telling people to do anything.

All im saying is i dont understand why people dont wear cages in rec hockey leagues.

Why do u wear a cup? Its easier to move around out there im sure without it, and you say its all about getting an advatage on ice and has nothing about being a manly tough guy out there..

Old
07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
hyster110

Quote:

All im saying is i dont understand why people dont wear cages in rec hockey leagues.

Why do u wear a cup? Its easier to move around out there im sure without it, and you say its all about getting an advatage on ice and has nothing about being a manly tough guy out there..
your not telling people to do anything, your just chastising the ones that dont agree with you. wearing a cage is a personal choice. leave it that way. some people like cages and feel invincible. in my experience there are caged people that are great, careful and play a good game, and there are others that are reckless and think they can do no wrong. same thing with people who wear visors or nothing. some people just cant get used to a cage. i wear a visor full time because i hate wearing a cage. i dont like the bars and i hate losing the peripheral and bottom vision. if i get hit in the mouth well i will deal with it. i wear a mouthguard an so far have been pretty lucky. i am not going to preach about what people should wear and nor should anyone. just play your own game and play respectful

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Why should he have to get cut on a HS because you couldn't keep your stick down?

There's no rule against wearing a visor. There is for HS's.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:

See below. I believe you are.

[QUOTE=CKL889;52572255]Nope just a pet peeve.

Your not impressing anyone, put a cage on.[/QUOTE]

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:21 PM
LordsCup*

[QUOTE=Steelhead16;52576961]See below. I believe you are.

Quote:
Nope just a pet peeve.

Your not impressing anyone, put a cage on.[/QUOTE]
Well i stand corrected.

Dont wear one, ill just never understand why. Id rather not be able to see as good (tho ive never had a problem), then risk breaking my jaw or losing an eye, which can be a lot more possible then you think, especially in recleagues where people are more reckless with sticks.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
goonx

yea.... I see guys playing without cages or visors.

i mean it's their choice for that and i can't make them but they have to live with the consequences. I'm not the ref or the cage police.

I would be concerned if they got hurt since any normal human would feel that way if ANYONE got hurt. However, pity is another issue.

Chris pronger played without a visor until he nearly lost his eye. I think it's more a cultural/growing-up thing.

Nowadays most of the new kids play with visors at least. I get high sticked once in a while but I don't have to worry too much about losing an eye with cage. The sport is just too fast and unpredictable. The puck gets deflected, missed shots, pucks riding up sticks and sticks riding up sticks. It only takes 1 bad stick/puck to make you lose that precision eye/teeth/nose and never play hockey again. Just my preference to play safe rather than having slightly better vision. I don't usually even notice it when playing. I play more comfortable with a cage and if a random guy feels comfortable without one, than who am i to tell them? If they get hurt, they have to live with it and not me. If one of my teammates or friend played without one though, i would talk to them about it and nag a bit more.

There are great players that play with cages and have vision that we can never get. "Seeing the ice" is more of a mental skill, reading plays and making smart split second decisions. It's almost like a 6th sense. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by goonx: 07-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.
goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:44 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post

Nowadays most of the new kids play with visors at least. I get high sticked once in a while but I don't have to worry too much about losing an eye with cage. The sport is just too fast and unpredictable. The puck gets deflected, missed shots, pucks riding up sticks and sticks riding up sticks. It only takes 1 bad stick/puck to make you lose that precision eye/teeth/nose and never play hockey again. Just my preference to play safe rather than having slightly better vision. I don't usually even notice it when playing. There are great players that play with cages and have vision that we can never get. "Seeing the ice" is more of a mental skill, reading plays and making smart split second decisions. It's almost like a 6th sense. Just my 2 cents.]
Had a guy on my team three years ago get hit with a shot that was tipped (he had no cage or visor), he had no time to react and shattered pretty much the entire right side of his face. Had to have surgery on his cheek bones and nose. Caught him just right. One of the scariest things I've ever seen. The guy still plays to this day but he sports a cage now.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:51 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Had a guy on my team three years ago get hit with a shot that was tipped (he had no cage or visor), he had no time to react and shattered pretty much the entire right side of his face. Had to have surgery on his cheek bones and nose. Caught him just right. One of the scariest things I've ever seen. The guy still plays to this day but he sports a cage now.
Stinks that these people only realize how important a cage is until they have suffered a severe injury. I bet if you ask those people they will say they didnt know what they were thinking when they didnt use one in hindsight.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:55 PM
goonx

Quote:
Yikes, now imagine if it was off by an inch or two and it hit his eye. I would suggest anyone that plays non-professionally to wear a visor at bare minimum. It's not about the toughness/invincible level but personal safety. It's like a cop that doesn't wear a kelvar vest. Just not worth the risk/pain/suffering.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Similar to what happened to me. A hard pass from a teammate got deflected to my face(I wear/wore a half shield) with no time to react. Top of my mouth went numb so figured I lost a couple of teeth. Thankfully it hit the top of my gum to the right of my nose only causing a small cut, and a reality check. Went to the locker room and pulled on my other helmet(with a cage on it) and have never switched back.

As for the question as to why people don't wear a cage. The obvious vision impairment. But most importantly to me, the chin cup. I can't stand the feel of a chin cup on my face(mine no longer touches my face completely but still annoying), along with the fact that a cage with a chin cup makes you sweat exponentially more, and unfortunately with that it's not nearly as easy to wipe away because... there's a cage stopping you from touching your face!!!

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote