HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Kadri centering the 1st line?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2012, 10:52 AM
  #76
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Kadri will play in the top six this year, but I really think it will be for another team.

If Kadri was drafted by any other team he would have played in the NHL last season for the whole year. I say he would have had around 30-35 points playing second unit PP and a 3rd line roll. This season he would have been moved up to a top six role.....

For the Leafs not to have him in a top six role this year would not be a surprise as it seems to be a very Leaf thing to do.....kill prospects.
So playing on the first line and getting top PP minutes with the Marlies is that much worse than third line and second PP time in the NHL?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:09 AM
  #77
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Although i do want to see Kadri play center, I don't think he will be the effective on the first line with Kessel or Lupul. All three of these guys have shown that they have trouble defending against other top lines (Kadri hasn't really had the chance though). I have no worries that they would be effective for producing offense, but as of now, Bozak is still the better defender and more suited for the top line than Kadri.

I agree with the poster before that said Grabovski on the top line. Coach RW was so stubborn to never play his best winger and best center men on the same shift. Even when the KMG line was almost non-existent, if not for Grabovski, This line was rarely changed, and not for any real length of time. Grabovski is ahead of Bozak defensively, and is better offensively. Never shies away from physical play. Lupul/JVR-Grabovski-Kessel is what i want for a first line (if not other acquisitions are to be had).

That leaves Kadri, Bozak, Connolly, Colborne possibly, to have a really good battle going for that 2nd line role. Out of those players I think Bozak would be most suited, Kadri has yet to prove me wrong at the NHL level.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:10 AM
  #78
grog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
I think he deserves a real shot, none of this come up for 5 games three times a season bs, how good can that be for your confidence. He needs to be on one of the top 2 lines where his best assets can be utilized. The very idea that this guy isn't good enough at a certain aspect of the game and therefore can't play on the leafs is completely ludicrous. If you truly believe he is that deficient in some aspects such that his offense can't make up for it while believing that all of the likely starters we have now don't have some of the same problems you need your head examined. Some of our defense can't play defense consistently but a smaller offensively talented guy needs to be more defensive?

With the garbage on this team i can't see how anyone could be that obtuse, you will not know what this guy can do for the team until he gets a long stay on one of the top lines. Give him his chance, do any of you really believe the team would have been worse off last year if he had played? Who knows, maybe, but at least you would have gotten a better pick, but you cant be a little bit pregnant and you can only miss the playoffs, you cant extra miss them.

grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
  #79
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
1st overall won't be so bad.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
  #80
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 2,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Although i do want to see Kadri play center, I don't think he will be the effective on the first line with Kessel or Lupul. All three of these guys have shown that they have trouble defending against other top lines (Kadri hasn't really had the chance though). I have no worries that they would be effective for producing offense, but as of now, Bozak is still the better defender and more suited for the top line than Kadri.

I agree with the poster before that said Grabovski on the top line. Coach RW was so stubborn to never play his best winger and best center men on the same shift. Even when the KMG line was almost non-existent, if not for Grabovski, This line was rarely changed, and not for any real length of time. Grabovski is ahead of Bozak defensively, and is better offensively. Never shies away from physical play. Lupul/JVR-Grabovski-Kessel is what i want for a first line (if not other acquisitions are to be had).

That leaves Kadri, Bozak, Connolly, Colborne possibly, to have a really good battle going for that 2nd line role. Out of those players I think Bozak would be most suited, Kadri has yet to prove me wrong at the NHL level.

Grabo and Kessel never seemed to click, for whatever reason. Neither did Kessel and Connolly. I don't know what it is, but despite his obvîous limitations in terms of finish, at least Bozie has the ability to find Kessel out there. Its part talent and part chemistry that determines a line's effectiveness.

Grabo would only be marginally more responsible than Kadri. Bozak, more than both combined, but he's the least gifted, offensively...

I think Grabo is great. I also think he clogs up the 2 hole for other young guys coming through the ranks. Who knows, maybe a top line of Grabo with JVR and Bobby Ryan would click, creating room on the 2nd line for Kadri and/or Bozak.

Wait, did I just trade Kessel for Ryan?

Durkin67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:54 AM
  #81
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Grabo doesn`t need to be centering Kessel and Lupul for the Leafs to benefit.

Grabo will still gets his minutes regardless of if he plays on the 1st line or 2nd line and at the end of the day getting effective minutes is what matters most.

Their are lots of team, maybe even more than half that don`t have their top 2 wingers playing with their best center.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:05 PM
  #82
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
For Kadri`s skillset to be properly utilized he absolutely needs a decent amount of powerplay time which means being amongst the top 6 forwards in PP time.

Kessel, Lupul, Grabo and JVR are locks to be in the top 6 for PP time.

Then we`ve got a competition between Bozak, CMac, Connolly and Kadri.

Bozak and Connolly both play center which increases our need to keep them around. Both also have been proven to be good defensively and are PK options which means one of them can be played in another slot. Connolly also can shift between wing and center.

CMac needs to be used in an offensive role and isn`t a very good defensive player and has never been used on the PK. Sound like a similar bio to Kadri?

Mark my words when I say one of CMac or Kadri won`t be with this team after next season. My money is on CMac being traded before the deadline when Kadri makes the jump to the NHL a permanent thing. CMac has been rumoured to be available the last 2 deadlines. I believe the reason he wasn`t traded is cause Burke didn`t feel Kadri was quite ready.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:02 PM
  #83
gravyface
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Grabo and Kessel never seemed to click, for whatever reason. Neither did Kessel and Connolly. I don't know what it is, but despite his obvîous limitations in terms of finish, at least Bozie has the ability to find Kessel out there. Its part talent and part chemistry that determines a line's effectiveness.

Grabo would only be marginally more responsible than Kadri. Bozak, more than both combined, but he's the least gifted, offensively...

I think Grabo is great. I also think he clogs up the 2 hole for other young guys coming through the ranks. Who knows, maybe a top line of Grabo with JVR and Bobby Ryan would click, creating room on the 2nd line for Kadri and/or Bozak.

Wait, did I just trade Kessel for Ryan?
Grabovski and Kessel did not play a single shift together last year (at least as far as the line combos site says; but I also don't recall) and really only played together ~3% of the time in 2010-2011, the year when Kulemin put up 30 goals on that line and Wilson proclaiming "they're our top line" on more than one occasion when we struggled to find a good fit on the wing (Lupul, Versteeg), so it's no wonder Wilson didn't break up that 2nd line for any length of time.

If we're going to be trying JVR at center, I say Grabovski sees the same opportunity as well.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:05 PM
  #84
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,496
vCash: 500
I remember this shift together from last year:

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
  #85
gravyface
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I remember this shift together from last year:
Ah, I stand corrected... and yup, they certainly looked good there.

I think it's nonsense to believe that they "don't play well together" because they're both "puck hogs" or based on a tiny sample set from two years ago. They're both smart, dynamic players: they're not going to play keep away from each other at center ice.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:48 PM
  #86
GhettoHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
kadri is an orthodox Muslim.. which means they follow about half the religion.. alcohol is frowned upon but is still used to regulate to societal norms

GhettoHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:05 PM
  #87
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoHockey View Post
kadri is an orthodox Muslim.. which means they follow about half the religion.. alcohol is frowned upon but is still used to regulate to societal norms
Thanks for the clarification.

With how high his metabolism is at that age and how much he works out having 2 or 3 or even 4 drinks the odd night probably barely affects him the next day.

No worries about Kadri showing up hammered on youtube videos like Patrick Kane or going on benders lik Fleury so I say good on him if he chooses to go out and enjoys the odd drink.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:45 PM
  #88
Krazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,835
vCash: 500
My off the wall line predictions

JVR Kadri Kessel.
Lupes Grabovsk Kulemin
Mac Mclement Connolly
Lombo Steckel Brown.

I think Kadri and Kessel would play great together, and let kessel finish plays more. JVR would be the big winger who could shore up the line defensively.

Lupul would play great with Grabo, he is like a better Macarthur. Kule is on that line for defense.

Connolly and McClement can both play D. CMac is there for now but I think he will eventually get moved, potentially with Frattin Moving in there.

Lombardi is good for speed on the fourth line, with Steckel taking big draws and energy, and Brown for grit.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:57 PM
  #89
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I remember this shift together from last year:
I remember that goal, very clearly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carlyle put Grabo between Kessel and Lupol. Our best center with our best wingers, makes sense to me.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
  #90
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I know everybody has completely written off Connolly ever being one of our top 2 centers and centering Lupul/Kessel again for us but he was a big reason why the Leafs were so good right out of the gate last season. He'll absolutely never be a fan favourite because of the passive style of hockey that he play but he does have the top end skill to be a legitimate top 2 center something Bozak clearly doesn't have. Connolly should be given the opportunity to win that job back.
I'm pretty sure Connolly was injured when the Leafs were hot @ the beginning of the season. Truthfully, he was pretty bad last season except for a short stint closer to the end of the season (when frustrations began to set in). He's not a good fit for Kessel either because he cannot keep up with the play -- he's too slow. Also, his passive style of play combined with slow foot speed are major readons why I hope he's moved to RW straight out of camp. I believe he could succeed from the wing and it'd take a bit of pressure off of him because his weaknesses wouldn't be so glaring

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:06 PM
  #91
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I'm pretty sure Connolly was injured when the Leafs were hot @ the beginning of the season. Truthfully, he was pretty bad last season except for a short stint closer to the end of the season (when frustrations began to set in). He's not a good fit for Kessel either because he cannot keep up with the play -- he's too slow. Also, his passive style of play combined with slow foot speed are major readons why I hope he's moved to RW straight out of camp. I believe he could succeed from the wing and it'd take a bit of pressure off of him because his weaknesses wouldn't be so glaring
that's funny, I thought he was great in the beginning and faded down the strech.

I remember the Tim Connolly is awesome thread from here.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:11 PM
  #92
Leafin
Registered User
 
Leafin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Tim Connolly should be packaged in a deal to acquire Luongo.

It doesn't matter what our forwards look like, we wont be making the playoffs until we figure out our goaltending situation.

Leafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:35 PM
  #93
Sundinftw
Registered User
 
Sundinftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,863
vCash: 500
maybe try it out..he is kinda smaller though so playing against top line D is gonna be painful

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:51 PM
  #94
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I'm pretty sure Connolly was injured when the Leafs were hot @ the beginning of the season. Truthfully, he was pretty bad last season except for a short stint closer to the end of the season (when frustrations began to set in). He's not a good fit for Kessel either because he cannot keep up with the play -- he's too slow. Also, his passive style of play combined with slow foot speed are major readons why I hope he's moved to RW straight out of camp. I believe he could succeed from the wing and it'd take a bit of pressure off of him because his weaknesses wouldn't be so glaring
Your right, he was injured at the very beginning of the season BUT from October 29th to November 27th over an 11 game stretch he scored 12 points.

Connolly won't ever be your ideal 1st line center but he does have superior vision and playing making skills than Bozak has or will ever have which is why he should be given a shot at that 1st line again. Not saying he outright deserves it though.

Even if Connolly doesn't win the 1st line center spot I think he'll be here until at least around the deadline cause of his ability to shift between the wing and center, play the powerplay and also the PK.

I've been saying it for a while but CMac is going to be the odd man out if we have to make room for Kadri.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:07 PM
  #95
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I've been saying it for a while but CMac is going to be the odd man out if we have to make room for Kadri.
I completely disagree.

Kadri has to knock MacArthur out of the line-up.

This isn't charity, no free rides, no hotdogs, no pretty boys, no entitlement.

__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Keon

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 1963–64, 1966–67 and 1969–70 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 1970–71 and 1972–73. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 1970–71, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:11 PM
  #96
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I completely disagree.

Kadri has to knock MacArthur out of the line-up.

This isn't charity, no free rides, no hotdogs, no pretty boys, no entitlement.
If they believe Kadri will be ready to step in this year, then they will make room for him. If I remember correctly, Aulie played very few NHL games, if any, with the leafs before Beachemin trade. But they were able to use their professional foresight to decide that Aulie was ready to step in at the NHL level, and he played quite well for the half or so season. too bad he took a nose dive this year, i was an Aulie fan.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:49 PM
  #97
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 2,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Grabovski and Kessel did not play a single shift together last year (at least as far as the line combos site says; but I also don't recall) and really only played together ~3% of the time in 2010-2011, the year when Kulemin put up 30 goals on that line and Wilson proclaiming "they're our top line" on more than one occasion when we struggled to find a good fit on the wing (Lupul, Versteeg), so it's no wonder Wilson didn't break up that 2nd line for any length of time.

If we're going to be trying JVR at center, I say Grabovski sees the same opportunity as well.
Good point. Was not aware that they didn't play one shift together all season. Surprised, TBH, as you'd think at some point they'd be out there together, maybe on the PP... What's the link to the line combos website?

Durkin67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:30 PM
  #98
glasses91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Steelheads!?
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
My off the wall line predictions

JVR Kadri Kessel.
Lupes Grabovsk Kulemin
Mac Mclement Connolly
Lombo Steckel Brown..
DOWN!

and when Connolly gets hurt Frattins in!

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:31 AM
  #99
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
For Kadri`s skillset to be properly utilized he absolutely needs a decent amount of powerplay time which means being amongst the top 6 forwards in PP time.

Kessel, Lupul, Grabo and JVR are locks to be in the top 6 for PP time.

Then we`ve got a competition between Bozak, CMac, Connolly and Kadri.

Bozak and Connolly both play center which increases our need to keep them around. Both also have been proven to be good defensively and are PK options which means one of them can be played in another slot. Connolly also can shift between wing and center.

CMac needs to be used in an offensive role and isn`t a very good defensive player and has never been used on the PK. Sound like a similar bio to Kadri?

Mark my words when I say one of CMac or Kadri won`t be with this team after next season. My money is on CMac being traded before the deadline when Kadri makes the jump to the NHL a permanent thing. CMac has been rumoured to be available the last 2 deadlines. I believe the reason he wasn`t traded is cause Burke didn`t feel Kadri was quite ready.
I don't see it as an issue of readiness personally... Why call up Kadri at the deadline to flounder with our sinking ship NHL team when he can stay in the minors and play for the Calder Cup?

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:41 AM
  #100
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Good point. Was not aware that they didn't play one shift together all season. Surprised, TBH, as you'd think at some point they'd be out there together, maybe on the PP... What's the link to the line combos website?
They did play a little together during the season. They aren't a good fit together though. Both players like to carry the puck, and are shooters first and foremost, which is why Wilson and Carlyle have both rightly put them on separate lines.

Also, Bozak is considerably stronger defensively, better on faceoffs and has chemistry with Kessel and Lupul. I'll personally be shocked if Bozak isn't between them when the season starts (barring trade).

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.