Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clutterbuck next contract?

Old
07-15-2012, 10:00 AM
LordFletcher

vCash: 500
I am not sure what will happen with Clutter. Guessing PMB walks after this season and we should see a stronger year out of Seto, our first and second lines will mostly be in tact for the 2013-14 season. While bringing in a few of the "rookies" in 2013, I am not sure if Clutterbuck is worth more on our roster, than being traded for future considerations (1st round draft pick) or whatever Fletcher has up his sleeves.... I would love to have him back as I am sure everyone else would but forecasting his future, is just as crazy as this years draft was, and free agency.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
All I know is that I wouldn't give him Brodziak-money, let alone over it. Clutterbuck is about as sound defensively as you can ask from a wing, but he's still a winger. He doesn't bring the on-ice value Brodziak does given positional value.

If it were me, he's a player I'm looking to move at the draft next year. Assuming that the team will still have the wealth of kids pushing for spots that coming year. Ideally, allocate that potential money towards a defenseman in a trade w/Clutterbuck or take the picks/prospects and use it towards a defenseman in FA.
I agree completely.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:01 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
All I know is that I wouldn't give him Brodziak-money, let alone over it. Clutterbuck is about as sound defensively as you can ask from a wing, but he's still a winger. He doesn't bring the on-ice value Brodziak does given positional value.

If it were me, he's a player I'm looking to move at the draft next year. Assuming that the team will still have the wealth of kids pushing for spots that coming year. Ideally, allocate that potential money towards a defenseman in a trade w/Clutterbuck or take the picks/prospects and use it towards a defenseman in FA.
Werd. I'm not a fan of giving players who really only hit that kind of cash. His numbers can be replaced...its the ****talking he does that I think most people like having.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
trade him to Columbus for their 1st round pick in 2013
If we could do this somehow it would probably be highway robbery.

But yeah, I am all over the idea of trading him now while his value is high.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i'm guessing he's going to want $12m/4 years
Not worth it.

He's already peaked and over the course of the last two years we have already seen a decline in what made him useful. He has tried to be more of a scorer, and has an ok shot, but he couldn't carry the puck if he had a freakin gun to his head.

Once he gets even more adverse to being physical, forget it.

DeuceMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Trade him for a first or second at the deadline.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:

I completely agree with this.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:35 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech in Hockey View Post
Not worth it.

He's already peaked and over the course of the last two years we have already seen a decline in what made him useful. He has tried to be more of a scorer, and has an ok shot, but he couldn't carry the puck if he had a freakin gun to his head.

Once he gets even more adverse to being physical, forget it.
In his defense, he was put into that role by Yeo and the rest of the coaching staff when the depth went to hell and he was playing on the top 2 lines and Powerplay. He should have never been there in the first place. He sole role should have always been energy line and hitting. Which is something that has been somewhat annoying anyways because he blatantly goes out of his way to hit someone and loses positioning in the process. He got better about it last year, but it still didn't do anything but take himself out of the play in our own end.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
In his defense, he was put into that role by Yeo and the rest of the coaching staff when the depth went to hell and he was playing on the top 2 lines and Powerplay. He should have never been there in the first place. He sole role should have always been energy line and hitting. Which is something that has been somewhat annoying anyways because he blatantly goes out of his way to hit someone and loses positioning in the process. He got better about it last year, but it still didn't do anything but take himself out of the play in our own end.
I agree with that. The only real value I see in him is playing a tough 3rd like role, and he just doesn't have the intensity for that, especially starting the last two years, that he did in his first couple years. Playing a tough checking role takes its' toal on everyone, it's noting personal against him; he's just getting a little worn down.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:42 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I say trade him while he still has good value. Try to fill a hole using him for something good.

We have other guys to fill that role now and that could really make something of that opportunity.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:46 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech in Hockey View Post
I agree with that. The only real value I see in him is playing a tough 3rd like role, and he just doesn't have the intensity for that, especially starting the last two years, that he did in his first couple years. Playing a tough checking role takes its' toal on everyone, it's noting personal against him; he's just getting a little worn down.
The thing is, he is one of those players that other teams hate playing against. He is a ****talker and he certainly does get under the skin of quite a few players to do something stupid. Not a reason to keep him...but I could see Toronto or Montreal going after him if we dangled the carrot in front of the donkey.

But only if the depth is there. He at least can be depended on to play whatever we need him to when the injuries start to occur. We will see how this season goes. IIRC, only Brodziak and Heater play 80+ games.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:49 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
The thing is, he is one of those players that other teams hate playing against. He is a ****talker and he certainly does get under the skin of quite a few players to do something stupid. Not a reason to keep him...but I could see Toronto or Montreal going after him if we dangled the carrot in front of the donkey.

But only if the depth is there. He at least can be depended on to play whatever we need him to when the injuries start to occur. We will see how this season goes. IIRC, only Brodziak and Heater play 80+ games.
Agreed. I hope we dangle it well too. We still could use 1 more 2nd pairing d.

I would also love us to get one more decent top-6 winger that isn't a midget, but that's a pipe dream...

Old
07-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Sportsfan1

If we got a first or second round pick for him i'd trade him this year. I really doubt any team would value him like that though so it's hard to gauge Clutterbuck's true value in a trade. Maybe as part of a package, but not alone. So i see him probably staying with the team through this year, then beyond that we'll see.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I say he gets somewhere in the range of 2 years at 2.8M per year.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
If we got a first or second round pick for him i'd trade him this year. I really doubt any team would value him like that though so it's hard to gauge Clutterbuck's true value in a trade. Maybe as part of a package, but not alone. So i see him probably staying with the team through this year, then beyond that we'll see.
If Gaustad and Brouwer are worth 1st rd picks, then so is Clutter.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:07 AM
cutfast

I am a firm believer that Cal will not get traded. He is a spark. A big Spark... That kind of piece is VERY valuable in my eyes. His skill set may be replaceable but is the spark he generates replaceable? On top of that, I see Cal as a fan favorite here in minny. So much a fan favorite that I will venture to say MOST minny fans would rather see us resign cal then draft someone from minny.

cutfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:09 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutfast View Post
I am a firm believer that Cal will not get traded. He is a spark. A big Spark... That kind of piece is VERY valuable in my eyes. His skill set may be replaceable but is the spark he generates replaceable? On top of that, I see Cal as a fan favorite here in minny. So much a fan favorite that I will venture to say MOST minny fans would rather see us resign cal then draft someone from minny.
If he continues this less physical game he played this past season... he's losing that so called spark. Better to sell while others still believe it's there...

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:14 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
On top of that, I see Cal as a fan favorite here in minny. So much a fan favorite that I will venture to say MOST minny fans would rather see us resign cal then draft someone from minny.
Same was said about Boogaard and that his physical aura of just being on the ice kept teams in check. And he was let go as well.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

3x3yrs

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:53 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
If the Wild want to build themselves into a Cup contender, this should be irrelevant. If Fletcher believes that trading Clutterbuck will improve the team, he would do it.

...and you said "Minny".....THREE TIMES.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:24 AM
nickschultzfan

Anything over 2 million/year is a horrible overpayment for Clutterbuck. The guy needs to be traded the moment he ask for over that.

Plays. On. An. Island.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:58 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Anything over 2 million/year is a horrible overpayment for Clutterbuck. The guy needs to be traded the moment he ask for over that.

Plays. On. An. Island.
doesn't. make. him. a. bad. player. or even bad fit for this team. He is a yeo player...skate in hard, be disruptive, tough to play against. He is also our most salable asset. He's attractive to other teams for a reason, and it's not because he has a nice mustache. So lets not go to the extreme the other way and say he's only worth $2m, please.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We'll see how he does this coming year. He's the kind of guy who could get 3-3.5 in UFA. He's an ideal 3rd/4th line guy. Doesn't take shifts or games off. Can chip in the odd goal. Obviously loves to hit and agitate. Plays through injuries. Kills penalties. Doesn't have great offensive skills.

I think we've been a bit down on him the last couple years because he's been forced into a top six role due to lack of depth (like Cullen). With this year's lineup, he should be back to doing what he does best.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
doesn't. make. him. a. bad. player. or even bad fit for this team. He is a yeo player...skate in hard, be disruptive, tough to play against. He is also our most salable asset. He's attractive to other teams for a reason, and it's not because he has a nice mustache. So lets not go to the extreme the other way and say he's only worth $2m, please.
Way to marginalize your opposition by calling it "extreme". In no way is it extreme to say that Clutterbuck, a 3rd line winger, should make $2 million/year extreme.

There have been countless examples of teams giving +2 million/year salaries to 3rd line wingers, in hopes that the guy has "untapped offensive-upside" or "playoff clutch", only have the guy continue to be what he has always been, a bottom-6 player.

For a player of his caliber, Clutterbuck has had 2 seasons of extended time in the top-6. He's proven that he can be a 15 goal, 30 point guy in those situations. Great. But he's also proven that he's never going to do more than that. On a good team, he's never going to get MORE time in the top-6 and on the PP. He's maxed out.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If Joel Ward can get $3.5m a year, Clutterbuck can get $3.5m a year. If Torrey Mitchell can get $1.8m a year, Clutterbuck can get $3m+ a year.

I think if the Wild re-sign him for $2.5m, that would be a discount and a good price for him. If it's over $3m+, it's maybe a bit overpayment.

Of course non of that takes into account his value to the team or whether or not he's able to be replaced.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote