HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Jean Ratelle ever have his # retired by the Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Will Jean Ratelle ever have his # retired by the Rangers?

Arguably the best Ranger of all-time, along with Leetch and Gilbert, why has he not been retired by the Rangers yet? I know he finished his career in Boston, playing six seasons there, but hey, Leetch finished in Boston after playing in Toronto.

IMO his name is sorely missing from the banners at MSG.

It's a shame he won't be up there for another 8 years because of Mr. Richards

Seriously though, do you guys think he'll be retired by the Rangers and for what reason do you guys think he hasn't been retired by them already?

Old
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
McMonster

#19 should have been up there a long time ago. I also would love to know why they haven't done it.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

If Dolan and company determine they can squeeze a dime out of Jean Ratelle night, Im sure they'll do it.

In a vacuum, if Adam Graves is up there, Jean Ratelle should be.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
ThisYearsModel

Ratelle won"t get his number raised, as Brad Park did not. They were not Rangers long enough.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Ratelle won"t get his number raised, as Brad Park did not. They were not Rangers long enough.
ratelle was a ranger from 1960-1975. thats a pretty long time...

Old
07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Brad Park you can probably say that about, but Ratelle was with the Rangers for 15 1/2 years (though not all of the were full seasons). Graves was only here for 10 seasons and he is up there.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Frank Boucher
Bill Cook
Ivan Johnson
Bryan Hextall
Ehrhardt Heller

Among others should have recognition as well.

#9 was a dual retirement, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Then again, if the Rangers retired the numbers from all of their greatest players, they'd be like the Canadiens and every current and future players would have obscure high digit numbers.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:53 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Arguably the best Ranger of all-time, along with Leetch and Gilbert, why has he not been retired by the Rangers yet? I know he finished his career in Boston, playing six seasons there, but hey, Leetch finished in Boston after playing in Toronto.

Seriously though, do you guys think he'll be retired by the Rangers and for what reason do you guys think he hasn't been retired by them already?
Park way before Ratelle and it is not even close.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Well for a long time the Rangers seemed to go by "No Cup, no rafters," and unfortunately, it might be too late for alot of the unfortunate souls who tried their hardest to bring a Cup to a franchise that didn't win one for 54 years.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:57 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post

Richie can always go back to #91.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Pizza

Maybe the single worst trade in franchise history. If I were Ratelle and Park I would want nothing to do with the Rangers....so no # 19 will never be retired.

That trade along with the Middleton deal still piss me off.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Crease

Quote:
Ratelle was a Ranger for more seasons than Messier or Graves, unless you mean a Cup trumps everything else.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Ratelle was a good player but he never won and he never looked like he was leaving it all out on the ice like Messier did. I understand that was his style, like Beliveau, but not looking like you were giving it everything you had did not endear you to the fans. I was much more upset that Park was traded than Ratelle.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Ratelle was a Ranger for more seasons than Messier or Graves, unless you mean a Cup trumps everything else.
Park was the heart and soul of the team when Ratelle was there. If there had never been an Orr, Park might have been considered the best dman ever.

Ratelle was an excellent player in his own right, but Park was the 2nd best defenseman in the entire league for quite some time.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Maybe the single worst trade in franchise history. If I were Ratelle and Park I would want nothing to do with the Rangers....so no # 19 will never be retired.

That trade along with the Middleton deal still piss me off.
I totally disagree that the Ratelle trade was bad. The Middleton trade was totally different. If you followed the Rangers from the early 70,s management realized that they were not going to win a Cup with Ratelle,Park and Giacomin as that group had gotten old together and decided to go in a different direction and bring in Espo who meshed with the younger players in the pipeline Maloneys, Greschner,Duguay Vickers etc. and brought them on a memorable run to the finals in 1979. The Rangers were never going to win a cup with Ratelle and Park and needed to change the team. Unfortunately they ran across 2 dynasties the Lafleur/Dryden Canadiens and the Islanders. By the way how many cups did Ratelle and Park along with Middleton win with Boston?

Old
07-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
I totally disagree that the Ratelle trade was bad. The Middleton trade was totally different. If you followed the Rangers from the early 70,s management realized that they were not going to win a Cup with Ratelle,Park and Giacomin as that group had gotten old together and decided to go in a different direction and bring in Espo who meshed with the younger players in the pipeline Maloneys, Greschner,Duguay Vickers etc. and brought them on a memorable run to the finals in 1979. The Rangers were never going to win a cup with Ratelle and Park and needed to change the team. Unfortunately they ran across 2 dynasties the Lafleur/Dryden Canadiens and the Islanders. By the way how many cups did Ratelle and Park along with Middleton win with Boston?
It's all a big fat what if in the end, cause nobody won nothing. We could could get into a pissing contest over who has the better what if...but I'm not gonna do that.

If we had kept Ratelle, Park and Middleton and added them to the Maloney's, Dugay etc. we would have a much more solid team. But that's just my opinion.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
It's a joke that Adam Graves' number is up there. We are an original 6 franchise FFS.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:22 AM
eco's bones

We'll start with the best two Rangers in my 40 some years of following the team:

1. Brian Leetch
2. Henrik Lundqvist

Mark Messier's first term puts him up there with those two--after his return from Vancouver he wasn't nearly the same player and he should have retired at least two years before he did.

The 70's team--and I'm not going to comment on players I never saw--Boucher, the Cook brothers, Ching Johnson, Andy Bathgate or Harry Howell (who I actually did see but as a Los Angeles King)--but the big guys for the the 70's era club were Ed Giacomin, Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Rod Gilbert. I'd pretty much put Park at the top of the heap--though not way ahead of the other 3. He was the second best D in the league until the much hated Denis Potvin came along. Even before Potvin though there was some distance between No. 1 Orr and No. 2 Park. Orr even to this day is the benchmark all time for NHL defenseman and he only played like 9-10 years. And then there was Ray Bourque who IMO is the second best ever--or at least that I saw.

Should they retire Ratelle's 19?--I don't know. Last I knew he was on the outs with the Rangers. That may have something to do with it. But do all these retirement ceremonies really matter? Most of the people in stands at this point never even saw the guy play as a Ranger--or at all.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's all a big fat what if in the end, cause nobody won nothing. We could could get into a pissing contest over who has the better what if...but I'm not gonna do that.

If we had kept Ratelle, Park and Middleton and added them to the Maloney's, Dugay etc. we would have a much more solid team. But that's just my opinion.
If they had kept Middleton everything might have been different but trading Ratelle and Park for Espo and Vadnais was a totally different trade. The Middleton trade gets associated with the Ratelle trade but is not the same. On the face of it I always liked trading Ratelle and Park since it was obvious that group missed it chance in 1970 and 1972 and had gotten old together. The Middleton trade was a disaster but again was a totally different trade than Ratelle and we still got to the finals in 1979 and it if wasn,t for our favorite Islander who sucks things might have been different. Not a pissing contest just an opinion.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
fishman40

I have been watching the Rangers since 1970. I have never seen a better line then the GAG Line. All three were dangerous scorers. Gilbert, Hadfield, and Ratelle. If they were in their 20s now there would be no discussion on this board concerning offense. As for Ratelle, I believe he should be in the rafters. His problem was he made everything look so easy....smoooooth!

Old
07-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
It's a joke that Adam Graves' number is up there. We are an original 6 franchise FFS.
I agree completely, and I loved Graves when he was here.

But Graves being in the rafters is just another example of 1994 running amok with Garden management.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:12 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

I disagree. Adam Graves was the #1 Ranger in my life time off the ice with all he has done for the city of New York and for the residents. He wasn't a bad player either and without those 52 goals do you think the Rangers win the cup that year? I dunno, maybe, maybe not.

Graves # isn't hanging because of his on ice abilities and stats, it's hanging because he played a big part in 94' and because he was one of the most (if not most ever) loved Rangers of all time and for his off the ice charity work.

You could I suppose make a case for hanging his name up on the rafters and not the actual # but I believe they did the correct thing. Leetch, Richter, Graves & Messier all belong together hanging forever 1994.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
They were, IMO, and its not their fault that that IDIOT, Emile Cat Francis, traded them. That was a night, along with the jettisoning of Giacomin, that almost made me give up being a Ranger fan.

Decided to just be truthful, blame overrated ownership, management and/or coaches as is applicable.

On merits, both Ratelle and Park deserve to be so honored.

Great thread.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:13 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I disagree. Adam Graves was the #1 Ranger in my life time off the ice with all he has done for the city of New York and for the residents. He wasn't a bad player either and without those 52 goals do you think the Rangers win the cup that year? I dunno, maybe, maybe not.

Graves # isn't hanging because of his on ice abilities and stats, it's hanging because he played a big part in 94' and because he was one of the most (if not most ever) loved Rangers of all time and for his off the ice charity work.

You could I suppose make a case for hanging his name up on the rafters and not the actual # but I believe they did the correct thing. Leetch, Richter, Graves & Messier all belong together hanging forever 1994.
And I guess that's where many of us disagree. If the guy is a saint off the ice then create an annual award in his name. But don't retire his number. JMO.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Edge

I loved Graves, so for me it was fitting his number be retired. A heart and soul player, arguably the greatest Ranger LW of all-time. (At worst, he and Hadfield are very close).

As for Ratelle, his entire career is criminally underrated. I think he was sixth in NHL scoring when he retired and had an amzing career, both with the Rangers and Boston.

He's healthy and they win in 1972, and all of a sudden he's got the legacy and the greatest season of any Ranger ever (I think he projected to a 57, 135 point season).

Closed Thread