HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Favorites for the 2012-2013 Calder Cup?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
  #51
goalby66
Registered User
 
goalby66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to goalby66
Syracuse, St. Johns or OKC.

Might have to make a trip out to 'Cuse to see a playoff game. Be lucky if the Phantoms come close with their projected goalies

goalby66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
  #52
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Syracuse isn't even tops in that division probably. They've lost a lot from that team.

WBS, at least at this point, looks like the best. Just added another solid player in Ferriero today.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:00 AM
  #53
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
I think the Syracuse people are going to be shocked this year. It sure looks like they aren't going to end up with a couple of the top players Norfolk had.

Stupid WBS is never bad anymore, but they always choke in the spring so who cares.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:39 AM
  #54
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 34,676
vCash: 5113
Well, now that I've looked at the NHL demands sent to the NHLPA, I'm thinking we might be seeing a decently long lockout, so more than a few NHLers are likely to play down in the AHL next season, for at least the beginning, so this whole thing might be up in the air....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
  #55
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Well, now that I've looked at the NHL demands sent to the NHLPA, I'm thinking we might be seeing a decently long lockout, so more than a few NHLers are likely to play down in the AHL next season, for at least the beginning, so this whole thing might be up in the air....
Last time, Milwaukee got Tootoo. Hopefully, Nashville will do better this time!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:52 AM
  #56
KingJet*
Welcome Back
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
1. St. John's
2. OKC
3. Syracuse, Cooper is still with them, Coaches can make a difference you know

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:17 PM
  #57
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,516
vCash: 827
I gotta go with the homerism in me and give some love to Houston. Team is gonna be practically stacked. If there's a lockout, Granlund will be down their too and possibly Brodin.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:53 PM
  #58
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 6,495
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
If there's a lockout, Granlund will be down their too and possibly Brodin.
So will other teams' top prospects who were slated to be in the NHL.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
  #59
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 78,123
vCash: 50
Can players just choose to play in the AHL if there is a lockout?

I.e. Could Crosby just choose to play for WBS?

WBS have a good chance I reckon.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
  #60
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 6,495
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Can players just choose to play in the AHL if there is a lockout?

I.e. Could Crosby just choose to play for WBS?

WBS have a good chance I reckon.
Rules from the latest season. I would guess they would be the same for 2012-13.

Quote:
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:53 AM
  #61
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Can players just choose to play in the AHL if there is a lockout?

I.e. Could Crosby just choose to play for WBS?

WBS have a good chance I reckon.
LOL don't get your hopes up that guys like Cinderella would stoop as to playing in the minors. The only guy I can think of who did this last time was Scott Gomez who went home to Alaska.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  #62
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
LOL don't get your hopes up that guys like Cinderella would stoop as to playing in the minors. The only guy I can think of who did this last time was Scott Gomez who went home to Alaska.
I'll agree that Crosby will not play in the minors during a lockout. But there were several other top players that went to the AHL like Jay Bouwmeester, Stephen Weiss, and Jason Spezza. No reason to think it wouldn't happen again.

__________________
The Chicago Wolves = 2008 Calder Cup Champions!
Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
  #63
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I'll agree that Crosby will not play in the minors during a lockout. But there were several other top players that went to the AHL like Jay Bouwmeester, Stephen Weiss, and Jason Spezza. No reason to think it wouldn't happen again.
Spezza & Weiss each had played exactly 1 full NHL season prior to the lockout, and Bouwmeester had played 2, not sparking in either. I could see some recognizable young names coming down (which would make the AHL a lot more fun to watch), but no one anywhere near the top of the talent spectrum.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:09 PM
  #64
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Spezza & Weiss each had played exactly 1 full NHL season prior to the lockout, and Bouwmeester had played 2, not sparking in either. I could see some recognizable young names coming down (which would make the AHL a lot more fun to watch), but no one anywhere near the top of the talent spectrum.
I agree. You are not going to see a 5+ year superstar coming and playing in the league, but you would get some top end young talent and some older middle tier talent.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
  #65
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Spezza & Weiss each had played exactly 1 full NHL season prior to the lockout, and Bouwmeester had played 2, not sparking in either. I could see some recognizable young names coming down (which would make the AHL a lot more fun to watch), but no one anywhere near the top of the talent spectrum.
True, Bingo was stocked with talent that year, only other real good year before the title.

The stars would go to Europe for a pay day or even the KHL before the AHL

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
  #66
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 6,495
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I wonder what kind of attendance boost teams would get from having stars play in the NHL though. Say Karlsson playing for Binghamton, Crosby and Malkin for WBS, Koivu, Suter and Parise for Houston etc.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:50 AM
  #67
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
Would they have to play for he affiiate?

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:40 AM
  #68
IceCapsNation
Registered User
 
IceCapsNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
The IceCaps aren't going to be the team they were last year. Their D-core took a big hit with the losses of Postma/Kulda/Festerling. I can see them making the playoffs.

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
  #69
newham89
Registered User
 
newham89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nottingham, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
Whats with the Syracuse hate in here? With the Lightnings forward lines filling up and it looking like prospects like Conacher and Killorn will be staying down another year, Cooper staying and the majority of vets (Picard, Kostka asides) sticking around.

Tokarski will still be there with one of Janus (dominated league when he had to) and Helenius (dominated the Finish league) with him, rookies like Namestnikov, Gauthier, possible Connolly and progression from the rest of the young line up like Johnson and Barberio. I'd be amazed if they didn't make the play offs.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:44 PM
  #70
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Whats with the Syracuse hate in here? With the Lightnings forward lines filling up and it looking like prospects like Conacher and Killorn will be staying down another year, Cooper staying and the majority of vets (Picard, Kostka asides) sticking around.

Tokarski will still be there with one of Janus (dominated league when he had to) and Helenius (dominated the Finish league) with him, rookies like Namestnikov, Gauthier, possible Connolly and progression from the rest of the young line up like Johnson and Barberio. I'd be amazed if they didn't make the play offs.
They definitely are probably a playoff team, but WBS really loaded up and Hershey brought in a lot of talent. I'd put those 2 teams ahead.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:00 PM
  #71
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
They definitely are probably a playoff team, but WBS really loaded up and Hershey brought in a lot of talent. I'd put those 2 teams ahead.
IMO the jury is still out on Hershey. Goaltending could be a big weakness. You don't necessarily know what Grubauer will give you at the AHL level and I think Sabourin's better days are behind him. Now, if there is a lockout and Holtby is in the AHL then it's a different story.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:08 PM
  #72
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 11,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
IMO the jury is still out on Hershey. Goaltending could be a big weakness. You don't necessarily know what Grubauer will give you at the AHL level and I think Sabourin's better days are behind him. Now, if there is a lockout and Holtby is in the AHL then it's a different story.
It'll be a different story for everyone.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
  #73
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
It'll be a different story for everyone.
That goes without saying. I was specifically talking about Hershey and their goaltenders though.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:35 PM
  #74
STZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peterborough Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
No love for the Marlies?

Considering their run was so good, you gotta think it could happen again. Clearly it depends on how well the Leafs do. If Scrivens is kept in the AHL, and there aren't any other promotions (considering Frattin and Gardiner stay with the Leafs) they shouldn't be that much worse than last year. Biggs, Devane and McKegg probably start their pro career next year too. I hope we do as good as last year...

*crosses fingers*

STZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:13 PM
  #75
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Whats with the Syracuse hate in here? With the Lightnings forward lines filling up and it looking like prospects like Conacher and Killorn will be staying down another year, Cooper staying and the majority of vets (Picard, Kostka asides) sticking around.

Tokarski will still be there with one of Janus (dominated league when he had to) and Helenius (dominated the Finish league) with him, rookies like Namestnikov, Gauthier, possible Connolly and progression from the rest of the young line up like Johnson and Barberio. I'd be amazed if they didn't make the play offs.
They will be nowhere near Norfolk's squad. Losing Picard, Smith and Kostka. Also...were they really that good or did they just go on one phenominal hot streak??? Until January they were average at best.

Short answer Dolgon is a tool and makes his team easy to hate.


Last edited by Sports Enthusiast: 07-18-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.