HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Prospect Camp (7/9-7/15)

Old
07-15-2012, 02:10 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
What I do like is, so many of our prospects don't need to play now. They can all go somewhere, get stronger, get smarter and become better players.
They don't need to play now and never will need to, unless its the AHL or some other team, if they are lucky.

[/Flyers pessimism]

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I'm really excited reading some of these posts and tweets. If anyone who's seen a bunch of these guys could project them into a Flyers lineup 3-5 years down the road (prospective draft picks and FA signings aside) that'd be awesome.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
First period done. Akeson looks alot better than yesterday. TVR is hands down the best invitee and then palmquist after him. Manning the dane and Larrson have been the best defenders. Ghost isnt playing. Also laughton and cousins slashing eachother at the end of the game.
They already know each other, should make for some interesting OHL games this year.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:12 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:

For those saying Heeter is better than Stolarz, I'd just say wait a few years, Heeter is 23, Stolarz is 18, give him time.
We know Stolie is your boyfriend.

I would have liked to see Laughton get more involved offensively but its a small sample size. Good on faceoffs (mostly against Cousins).

Akeson didn't do much.

Cousins is a pass first guy it seems. Couple chances to shoot, but pulled up looking to dish. BTW if I played against him, I would definitely try to take his head off. I can see why he gets the reputation he does.

Lauridsen looked pretty good. Stay-at-home guy in the NHL. Thought his breakout passes could have been better. Decent skater for his size.

Didn't get to see much of Larsson. I did notice he got beat once wide. He got caught in his pivot I think.

Manning definitely looked like he was on another level. Played with a lot of confidence. Had a couple good one-timers towards the end of the game. Good skater. Hope he gets his chance this year, but another year in the AHL won't hurt.

Didn't notice Konan much (guess that's a good thing) but he scored on a pretty nice wrister from the high slot. Looked pretty big.

Johnston looks like he has some tools to work with. Looked kind of thin however.

Didn't notice Leier or Willcox aside from a few times. Kind of expected that though as they are projects.

Heeter made some really nice saves and came up big with his team up one goal late- saved two penalty shots.

Gostisbehere was someone I was really looking forward to seeing.

Greg Coburn got a raw deal in this life. He's 5'11 at best compared to his brother's 6'5 frame.

Anyone know the deal with Kessel?

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 07-15-2012 at 04:18 PM.
FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
We know Stolie is your boyfriend.

I would have liked to see Laughton get more involved offensively but its a small sample size. Good on faceoffs (mostly against Cousins).

Akeson didn't do much.

Cousins is a pass first guy it seems. Couple chances to shoot, but pulled up looking to dish. BTW if I played against him, I would definitely try to take his head off. I can see why he gets the reputation he does.

Lauridsen looked pretty good. Stay-at-home guy in the NHL. Thought his breakout passes could have been better. Decent skater for his size.

Didn't get to see much of Larsson. I did notice he got beat once wide. He got caught in his pivot I think.

Manning definitely looked like he was on another level. Played with a lot of confidence. Had a couple good one-timers towards the end of the game. Good skater. Hope he gets his chance this year, but another year in the AHL won't hurt.

Didn't notice Konan much (guess that's a good thing) but he scored on a pretty nice wrister from the high slot. Looked pretty big.

Johnston looks like he has some tools to work with. Looked kind of thin however.

Didn't notice Leier or Willcox aside from a few times. Kind of expected that though as they are projects.

Heeter made some really nice saves and came up big with his team up one goal late- saved two penalty shots.

Anyone know the deal with Kessel?
So who do you really think will be the starter then in the AHL, Heeter or Hovinen?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:22 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
So who do you really think will be the starter then in the AHL, Heeter or Hovinen?
Hovinen has played at a higher level so assuming he is healthy I think he will. Not a big fan of a rookie playing a backup role though. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he gets a full workload at Trenton (Heeter that is).

Old
07-15-2012, 04:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Hovinen has played at a higher level so assuming he is healthy I think he will. Not a big fan of a rookie playing a backup role though. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he gets a full workload at Trenton (Heeter that is).
Hopefully they can both stay up, but if one or the other kicks ass down there, wouldn't mind seeing them in a game for the Flyers, but I guess it would only be if it was an emergency.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:31 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Here are my tweets from today from my vantage point: https://twitter.com/r_Andersen_

38 of them.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:08 PM
hockeyfreak7

Would be nice if Cousins could be converted to wing and turn into a Scott Hartnell type.

Imagine how much energy this team could have in about 2-3 years with Giroux, Hartnell, Schenn, Simmonds, Talbot, Wellwood, Laughton, and Cousins.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Would be nice if Cousins could be converted to wing and turn into a Scott Hartnell type.

Imagine how much energy this team could have in about 2-3 years with Giroux, Hartnell, Schenn, Simmonds, Talbot, Wellwood, Laughton, and Cousins.
Cousins doesn't have the size to be a guy like Hartnell. He plays more of a finesse game with agitating abilities compared to a true power game that Hartnell has. In the future, I see him as a wing in the NHL. His size is not ideal for a center in the NHL. He's a great competitor that will hit and get under the team's skin, but I don't think he'd ever be called a power forward. More of a sparkplug with skill.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:53 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Cousins doesn't have the size to be a guy like Hartnell. He plays more of a finesse game with agitating abilities compared to a true power game that Hartnell has. In the future, I see him as a wing in the NHL. His size is not ideal for a center in the NHL. He's a great competitor that will hit and get under the team's skin, but I don't think he'd ever be called a power forward. More of a sparkplug with skill.
I think sparkplug with skill is a more accurate description of 2011-12 Hartnell than "power forward".

A true power forward is a Bobby Ryan-- someone who uses his size and strength to muscle his way to the net. Hartnell is more of a skilled energy player. He goes to the net hard, but usually he's there cleaning up the trash rather than muscling through with the puck.

I havent seen much of Cousins, but everything I've read makes him seem like a skilled energy player than a power forward.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:59 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I think sparkplug with skill is a more accurate description of 2011-12 Hartnell than "power forward".

A true power forward is a Bobby Ryan-- someone who uses his size and strength to muscle his way to the net. Hartnell is more of a skilled energy player. He goes to the net hard, but usually he's there cleaning up the trash rather than muscling through with the puck.

I havent seen much of Cousins, but everything I've read makes him seem like a skilled energy player than a power forward.
Hartnell is waaay stronger/bigger than cousins.
He just has zero balance.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:02 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Hartnell is waaay stronger/bigger than cousins.
He just has zero balance.
I'm not saying that he isnt. I'm just saying Hartnell's game is not defined by his size and strength like a true power forward's is.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:32 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Cut and paste again:

Scrimmage2:

"A much improved game overall. There was an overall improvement in passing and the defense tightened up as well.

My 3 stars were Clapperton, TVR, and McGinn

As for the guys you asked about I'd say your boy Parks was the best followed by Johnston who can dish really well and Laurisden had another strong game. All 4 days I was there all 4 of your guys you wanted me to follow we're pretty impressive. Laurisden is by far the closest to being ready but has to work on speed and passing to get out of the minors.

A sad note is that most of the nonamers were every bit as good as the Phantom players. Its Easy to tell who had a contract already I guess.

The goalies were all pretty horid but I wouldn't put much into that at a camp like this.

This is my 5th year here and this is fewest guys I've seen ready for the NHL but probably the best I've ever seen for guys that will be NHLers 5 years from now. Don't expect any stars from this group though. "

As for my own thoughts I don't know to be excited or ticked that the best player on the ice was a tiny undrafted 18 year old or if we should be excited he performed well and could be signed without burning a pick. I wonder though if a game like this is the best we would ever see out of a guy like this. Would he get destroyed against men or does he play like Theo did? I noticed from one of Meltzers tweets that he is more like 5 7" which would explain why my buddy though he seemed even smaller than his listed size.

I know I'm always beating the Parks drum but isn't it great we drafted him 3 drafts ago and yet still have 3 years to sign him? I guess that's it for hockey now for the summer. Too bad.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:08 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post

I know I'm always beating the Parks drum but isn't it great we drafted him 3 drafts ago and yet still have 3 years to sign him? I guess that's it for hockey now for the summer. Too bad.
He's free to sign with any team after the 2014 season (see Justin Schultz).

BTW did he play today? I didn't see him.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:20 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:

No he didn't.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:31 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

Sorry. I thought we had until he graduated. And no I don't think he played today.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

So was meaning to make the full report BUT got home late and now am dead tired. Will add a few more things. Johnson impressed me. He looked alittle bit slower but his play making skills are very good. Made a sick pass to Clapperton for a goal. Manning looked solid and looked like the vet out there. So did Laurisden, who's skating did improve (i know people said that already but good to see it for myself. Can't see him not getting called up at times).

I am hoping that Laughton gets his offensive game moving a bit though. Dont get me wrong, he hits well and plays some solid defensive game, but really hoping he can get some offense going. He had some nice passes and moved well but didn't do to much.

I also would like to echo the TVR praise. I honestly dont think he messed up one pass, whether it was a cross ice pass or a small flick to a teammate. His shootout goal was pretty nasty also.

I already talked about Clapperton but I do hope he can grab a contract. He looked really good out there. Like I said before he wont dazzle you with sick dangles or crazy passes but makes all the right choices which allows him to get points. Ya, his size might be a problem but it looks like he knows how to use it. He dodges in and out of players and keeps his head up from hits that could kill him.

Akeson impressed me in the first, didnt do much in second, and was average in third.

Konan and Willcox were not to noticeable... which isnt that bad of a thing. The only time Willcox was noticable was when he was on a pairing with Laurisden and the two looked huge on that back line.

Coburn's brother has Brandon's skating. Smooth and fluid. Also has a leadership quality calling out marks and plays etc etc. He can also move the puck pretty well and play solid defense. He didnt get much talk, but my buddy I was with and a few people around me were talking about him. He wont impress you with physical plays, but when he got back on a 2v1 and made the Timonen slide to defend the pass, it can be impressive.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Sorry. I thought we had until he graduated. And no I don't think he played today.
That's true, college bound prospects, like Parks, have their rights held until after they graduate. The loophole in the CBA that allows a player to become a free agent after their 4th year after being drafted if they withdraw from school, and the team that drafted them doesn't sign them within 30 days of withdrawing from school could likely be closed in the new CBA if that ever gets figured out.

Just to clarify.

sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Just curious as to how Leier has looked. Seems like no one has really mentioned him in their reviews, which can be good or bad. I'm not surprised if he's not completely "wowing" anyone yet, but wouldn't be surprised to see him turn into a pretty damn good NHLer (strong 3rd/4th liner type).

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:05 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

My buddy was pleased with him. In scrimmage one he was one of the best on the losing team. I think he scored a goal even. He said that his age didn't jump right out which is a good thing. He'll need some time obviously and hopefully an increased responsibiliy in Junior will help. I've come from this camp liking all of this years picks (VV wasn't there because of injury so he can't be factored in yet)

Old
07-16-2012, 07:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So what are the implications of the prospect camp? Is it to see who gets an invite to the big camp or is it strictly for getting the guys some work in and for the team to see who can do what? Either way, can we expect to see any of these guys at the big camp in Sept? Lauridsen? Cousins? Laughton? Those are the three dudes I am most excited for.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Cousins is more Brad Marchand, which I think he's described himself as such. Would be nice, we don't really have one of those.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So what are the implications of the prospect camp? Is it to see who gets an invite to the big camp or is it strictly for getting the guys some work in and for the team to see who can do what? Either way, can we expect to see any of these guys at the big camp in Sept? Lauridsen? Cousins? Laughton? Those are the three dudes I am most excited for.
Lappy stated that this camp is not to earn a roster spot but instead to ask questions and grow as a player. They are invited for their own sakes to learn new skills and new practice techniques. They come to "work on stuff there isn't time for during the regular season.

That said, I feel that it is much more than that. As was stated here (or possibly twitter) Rinaldo basically has his roster spot because of this camp. Last year this camp earned Noebels a contract. This is also the camp that earned Hostetter a contract. So yeah maybe its not for a roster spot but it isn't simply to ask questions either.

As for the three you mentioned I'm sure they will all be at rookie camp with Laughton and Cousins being returned to their junior teams at the completion of camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see Laurisden at the main camp and get a preseason game or two before being assigned to the Phantoms.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:40 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Here is my write-up of the scrimmage:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...le-at-voorhees

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote