HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets re-sign Paul Postma (1 year, $550k)

Old
07-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
I don't see how us signing Postma to a contract makes any difference on whether or not he makes the team this year.

He was an RFA and needed a contract, period. We weren't going to let him walk, so he was always going to get a contract.

As for the 1 way vs. 2 way angle, I'd imagine he's getting a 1 way due to 2 factors, if he makes the team he's not going to get sent down as he would never clear. So in that vein a 2 way contract makes no sense. Second, he might have been given a 1 way contract as a reward for his play, and as a good will gesture from the org.

As far as being sent down to St. John's, we all know he wouldn't clear, but I believe that teams can send someone down if it's X days before the end of training camp (don't remember what X is). So the Jets could still get him to St. Johns if he's sent down before that point, and he would be rewarded with the 500k. I don't believe he would be exposed if he was then brought up at some point in the season (correct me if I'm wrong), but once up, he would be staying up.

Thoughts?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:11 PM
wings5

vCash: 500
Gotta love the Dutch. Hopfully he does well

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:39 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan204 View Post
I'm not saying postma would replace enstrom. He adds depth though so someone else could be moved up, maybe bogo?

buff-bogo
hainsey-stuart
postma-flood/clitsome
If the Jets do move a D man to make room for Postma, it would probably be Stu or Clitty.

If they move a top 4 D man, they need to add a top 4 D man. Stu isn't that guy. He has been a 5/6 his whole career and has never demonstrated an ability to handle more.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
trader11

I think he would have to clear waivers regardless of when he is sent down. He will be playing in the NHL somewhere this year......hopefully with the Jets!

trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:58 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
If the Jets do move a D man to make room for Postma, it would probably be Stu or Clitty.

If they move a top 4 D man, they need to add a top 4 D man. Stu isn't that guy. He has been a 5/6 his whole career and has never demonstrated an ability to handle more.
Doubt that stu gets moved.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:10 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Doubt that stu gets moved.
I wouldn't count on it either, but he would be a lot easier to replace than Toby, Buff, Bogo or Hainsey for that matter.

I like Stu, but is a 5/6 defender with no real upside. He and Clitty are eating up the sheltered 5 on 5 matchups that prospects will take when they enter the league.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwood View Post
Is Enstrom being shown the door?????? Something's a brewing in Jetsville me thinks
how about mark flood and randy jones? being replaced by clitsome and postma?

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Boreal

I love Postma's offensive skills, particularly on the power play. I think he can be a real asset there. However, even with his defensive zone deficiencies noted, I just fear he is redundant on a team that already has Buff, Enstrom and Bogosian, the latter of which who should see an increased offensive role, in my opinion. Postma's also right handed (to the best of my knowledge), which we seem to have quite the collection of.

...being -14 on a good Ice Caps team also isn't too inspiring. He's just not my favourite bun in the oven.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

I will wish the best for Paul but unless his Defense gets better I don't see him making the big club and as others have said before me he seems like a redundant asset no?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote