HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this our roster going into the season?

Old
07-15-2012, 03:45 PM
SabresBills2012

vCash: 500
Is this our roster going into the season?

How many people believe that this is our roster going into the season. No more moves.

SabresBills2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:49 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBills2012 View Post
How many people believe that this is our roster going into the season. No more moves.
Well resign ennis and kaleta. A defensemen will be traded for a forward and a few signings for rochester. Maybe a vetern signing.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I think we are done bringing in outside players, but I think one of Grigs or Girgs will make the opening night roster (hopefully Grigs in the top 9 with Girgs playing 20 mins in Rochester)

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I just don't see a big trade being made for a top 6 center. I'm fine with the roster as it is right now, I know we're not going to be winning the cup or making much noise in the playoffs, but I see it as more of a growth year, let the young kids (Ennis and Hodgson) get acclimated into their roles. Sell off some of the old players at the deadline, and then hopefully our younger talent in the pipeline can come in and step up. I do expect the team to make the playoffs, we lost a bit of offense losing Roy, but even with his 44 points last year we barely missed out on the playoffs. If we can stay healthy and Hodgson and Ennis improve their numbers, I think we can make it as a low seed. Who knows, maybe we'll surprise this year. Slowly put Hodgson into a two way role, he doesn't need to be overloaded as most of the defensive assignments will go to our vets like Pommers, Ott, Leino, etc. Kaleta and Gerbe will likely be used in defensive situations as well so he doesn't necessarily need to go against top competition.

I don't think anyone should get their expectations too high, it seems like management has an idea of what they want this roster to look like, when Girgs and Grigs hopefully reach their potential and are in their primes, along with Myers developing and Hodgson and Ennis reaching their potentials as well. Miller will still be in his mid 30's which is decent for a goaltender. That's our best opportunity for a cup IMO.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I just don't see a big trade being made for a top 6 center. I'm fine with the roster as it is right now, I know we're not going to be winning the cup or making much noise in the playoffs, but I see it as more of a growth year, let the young kids (Ennis and Hodgson) get acclimated into their roles.
Awesome! Just like last season!!!

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

I think they are done and I cant say I am upset with what they did.

I am glad they seem to be going young at center, starting fresh there.

Not a lot of outside moves in terms of free agency or trade, but the the 1 move they made will change the team and the players they will give new and bigger roles will change the team.

It will be a different Sabres team, for better or worse. Change has happened, hopefully its for the better.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Still holding out hope for a Bobby Ryan trade...... but yeah, this is probably the Sabres roster for next year. As much as saying "we just need to wait for their young talent to develop!" sounds like a lame excuse and isn't much fun in the short term, that's where the Sabres are right now.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Still holding out hope for a Bobby Ryan trade...... but yeah, this is probably the Sabres roster for next year. As much as saying "we just need to wait for their young talent to develop!" sounds like a lame excuse and isn't much fun in the short term, that's where the Sabres are right now.
Not much fun? Next season will be the most fun we have as Sabres fans since Drury/Briere, I guarantee it. There will probably be a lot of mistakes, but we will see a team with heart and energy.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I'm starting to think there won't be any outside players acquired until after the season starts (whenever that is). I wonder if Regier is leaving that center spot open to help aid contract talks with Grigorenko. If after the season starts the need is obvious for a veteran center, then maybe a move is made with a depth d-man.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Not much fun? Next season will be the most fun we have as Sabres fans since Drury/Briere, I guarantee it. There will probably be a lot of mistakes, but we will see a team with heart and energy.
I'm leaning towards this. We knew back in 2007 that this team had a problem with heart and physicality. It took them five years to start making some moves to seriously address that. The last five years have felt like groundhog day, consequently - hard to love a team that didn't want to work or didn't have the intestinal fortitude.

This season should be a bit of a fresh start, and with that comes a chance to fall in love with the team again, for me. They've jettisoned some big underachievers, they still have a couple who can keep trying to prove themselves, but more and more of the team is being carried by fresh blood without any stigma attached to them in my eyes. If Foligno and Girgensons are both on the roster in April, they'll be very fun to root for.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:03 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

One thing I like about next years team, Foligno, Ott, and Kaleta on separate lines. Foligno had nearly 50 hits in 14 games, Ott we know will bring top 10 hits, and Kaleta/Tropp will bring it. Regehr always high in hits.

I dont think the FN Center will be very quiet next year. Imagine those 5 players along with mcNabb and Weber sometimes, Myers taking another step physically. All in the lineup, its going to be fun.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:08 PM
tsujimoto74

I think there might be one more minor move (ie: moving a depth defensemen for a depth forward, something like that), but I mostly expect this to be the line-up. I'm happy with what little moves they did make. Regier's weeded out some old core players that needed to go, injected a good character guy in Ott, and has left space for our young forwards to step up into bigger roles. I'm sure there will be some growing pains there, but I think the team will be a lot more fun to watch this year.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Yup. Seems like they are showing an interest to do more, we shall see. I'll be surprised if anymore big moves are made.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:10 PM
CaptPantalones

I see one more move for a forward

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:35 PM
SlugLife978

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
I see one more move for a forward
Seconded.

I would love for them to bring in a solid, defensively responsible veteran 3rd/4th line center to help ease CoHo and Ennis into their new roles (take the majority of the d-zone starts early in the season and gradually shifting over to the kids).

SlugLife978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Bosswally

Quote:
One thing I like about next years team, Foligno, Ott, and Kaleta on separate lines. Foligno had nearly 50 hits in 14 games, Ott we know will bring top 10 hits, and Kaleta/Tropp will bring it. Regehr always high in hits.

I dont think the FN Center will be very quiet next year. Imagine those 5 players along with mcNabb and Weber sometimes, Myers taking another step physically. All in the lineup, its going to be fun.
im expecting Weber to have a bounce back year now with his big brother(Ott) here and I also think he will be a lot more physical. With all the NHL capable D we have the fight for spots is going to be very interesting with Weber, Pardy, Sulzer, and Mcnabb fighting for two spots and one of those spots being the 7th man

I expect they are trying to get Ennis into a long term contract because even though if it wasnt for the CBA expiring they would want him long term they realize this is probably their last chance to lock him up. Also unless they get Doan I don't think they do anything else until the season starts and the new CBA is in. TBH even if the cap stays the same(which i doubt) I wouldnt mine leaving about $10mil in cap space and spend a season really seeing what our young guys can do and if they really play well this leaves us with plenty of room for a trade deadline move or for next offseason when the free agency class is expected to be much better and we will also have to resign Hodgson, so lets see what he can do in a contract year with top 6 minutes lets seem him earn a big contract

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:03 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

I'd be shocked if a vet center isn't brought in. Or if he pulls the trigger on a splash. So no, I don't believe this is the final roster.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

I don't think a massive splash is coming, but there will be at least one more move at center. There has to be. This team desperately needs at minimum a veteran third-line center.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:53 PM
MyersMagic57*

It may be and normally that would be disappointing, but with the way we drafted this year I think its the right move. We have a lot of talent now that just needs to develop

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
I agree. And I think we have the defense to keep our young forwards in the game while they learn.

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
It may be and normally that would be disappointing, but with the way we drafted this year I think its the right move. We have a lot of talent now that just needs to develop
They're not mutually exclusive. You can still bring people in and let your talent develop.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
It will be a different Sabres team, for better or worse. Change has happened, hopefully its for the better.
Maybe the added physicality will translate into more energy on the ice and in the stands - possibly even rekindling the "hardest working team" attitude that was so appreciated in Buffalo during Nolan's tenure - but the bottom line in maintaining fan interest will be winning more games, either with a stronger offense or stingier defense. It's hard to see any of the roster changes promising improvement on either front as much as it will depend on the team minimizing injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'm starting to think there won't be any outside players acquired until after the season starts (whenever that is). I wonder if Regier is leaving that center spot open to help aid contract talks with Grigorenko. If after the season starts the need is obvious for a veteran center, then maybe a move is made with a depth d-man.
We'll see about that - we've all heard and seen Regier stay true to his mantra that a roster should be built in the offseason and tweaked at the trade deadline. It's hard to see him deviating from that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
I'd be shocked if a vet center isn't brought in. Or if he pulls the trigger on a splash. So no, I don't believe this is the final roster.
I'm still clinging to the olive branch Regier gave this past week at the Girgensons PC about wanting to add a center.....whether that ends up being a more significant trade to improve the offense (i.e. Stastny, Pavelski, Dubinsky, Filppula) or a lesser move to add some veteran experience for insurance behind the kids (i.e. Arnott, Hecht, Pahlsson, Moore), I don't know.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:36 AM
McTank

I think we're done but am hoping for another top 6 center/winger. One thing we have to remember is this team could be a lot better then we think if Miller puts a consistent season together. He was playing like lalime for that losing stretch last season

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Luceni

I think that we're done. I really hope that both g men become pro this season. One in the AHL (grigs) the other in Buffalo (girgs) to center our third line.

One proven top 6 center/winger like Doan or Ryan would be grat but I just don't see it happening. Our roster is set imo.

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Leino - Girgs - Ott
Gerbe - Hecht - Kaleta

I believe that they will resign Adam, Hecht and Ennis to decent deals. I think adam will accept a two way 1-2 year deal.

With adam and possibly girgs down in Rochester there is also some potential NHL center talent down there.

I think our current roster has the potential to make the playoffs.

On the other hand we have lost our best center and replaced him with zemgus. We got tougher to play against but we lost some scoring.

It depends on how fast Ennis and Hidgson can handle their bigger roles.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:16 AM
Imlach a cup

Id say looking at this roster and the minimal urgency the front office has shown that they believe the players that will carry this team are in development now (Armia, Grigs, Girgs, McNabb, Pysyk, Myers, Hodgson, Ennis). Any further moves will be done with their future in mind. Which is why, as much as I hate it, I think the third will have Ville Leino at center. I can't see Darcy spending assets on a third center that we probably won't need beyond next season. So to answer the OP I think the current roster is fairly close to what the opening night roster will look like.

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Stafford-Ennis-Foligno
Ott-Leino-Pomminville
Scott-McCormick-Kaleta

This also allows them to save a spot for Girgensons who I think is rapidly becoming a front office darling.

However the roster the last day of next season is what really interests me as that will determine what the end result of this core shift looks like. Going into this season as a "show me" season. Room needs to be opened for ZG, Grigs and Armia. Who ever the 2012-13 goats are will be gone.

Imlach a cup is online now   Reply With Quote