Wellwood signed! (1 year, 1.6M)

Old
07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Perhaps it bears repeating that Wellwood had more points than Little last year, nearly as many as Ladd and has always been a good +/- player, better than most of the Jets forwards.
No, he won't be part of our Stanley Cup team, but he may well help us make the playoffs, by giving us stability and production when others are slumping or injured...and while waiting for the young uns to mature.
For the price, and for where the Jets are in their development, this was a very solid move.
He also puts up reasonable corsi numbers when you look at the advanced stats.

Even at 1.6mil he's a very good bang for buck signing.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:00 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Good re-signing! Glad to hear he's back for another season.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I wonder if Wellwood took one year again to motivate himself to have another career year? Work hard, prove that last year wasn't a fluke and sign a 3 or 4 year deal somewhere for more $$

I am in the camp that while I would have liked to have gotten another 'top 6' winger, that with the way our forward group is set up we are running a 'top 9' system. There might be a little less top end talent but we will end up with 3 lines that can score.

I'd rather have more diverse scoring through 3 lines. You are going to get more consistent scoring, it's better for coaching matchups, and it gives guys trying to break out in scoring roles more opportunity to play in that role as opposed to a limited 4th line plan. (Burmistrov, Scheifele).

I like our scoring depth right now. We were already 12th last year, and I think we really could be top 10 if Wheeler starts hot, Kane scores more consistently (40 is possible with some PP success), Wellwood holds strong, Burmistrov progresses, and Poni and Olli fit in. I know that is a lot of ifs, but I think our forwards, when you throw in Little, Miettenen, and a continued healthy Antro with his new friend, have a real good capacity for growth as a whole. It's not like all of our players peaked last year and played over their heads.

I am really satisfied if this is what we go into the season with. I would love to get another veteran physical shutdown type defenseman, but I think everyone in the league would.
I agree Jet.

I've been advocating the "top 9" system for the Jets for a long time. It's unlikely that we will be a max cap team every year, so creating a lineup that carries a few big contracts wouldn't allow us to build anything else around them.

Going with a balanced approach will allow us to build a competitive roster without the luxury of one or two superstars. And it allows us to do all the other things you mentioned (matchups, etc).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:32 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
My potential line ups:

1) No more UFA signings and Scheifele doesn't make the team:
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Miettinen-Slater-Thorburn

2) No more UFA signings but Scheifele makes the team:

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheifele-Little
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wellwood-Slater-Thorburn

3) Another UFA signing (presumably top six RW) and Scheifele doesn't make the team:

Kane-Jokinen-UFA
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wellwood-Slater-Thorburn

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:04 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree Jet.

I've been advocating the "top 9" system for the Jets for a long time. It's unlikely that we will be a max cap team every year, so creating a lineup that carries a few big contracts wouldn't allow us to build anything else around them.

Going with a balanced approach will allow us to build a competitive roster without the luxury of one or two superstars. And it allows us to do all the other things you mentioned (matchups, etc).
Given that it may be difficult to attract the big name stars, going with a well balanced top 9 setup (as the Bruins did when they won the cup) is probably the best plan of action. 3 lines that the opposition has to worry about regarding scoring, with no one to really key on.

I think it would do wonders for working prospects into the line-up as well - 2nd or 3rd line could be their in, instead of the more gritty 4th which wouldn't be very well suited to guys like Telegin or Scheifele (or any other player who's upside is ultimately in the top 6).

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Savagestevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
My potential line ups:

1) No more UFA signings and Scheifele doesn't make the team:
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Miettinen-Slater-Thorburn

2) No more UFA signings but Scheifele makes the team:

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheifele-Little
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wellwood-Slater-Thorburn

3) Another UFA signing (presumably top six RW) and Scheifele doesn't make the team:

Kane-Jokinen-UFA
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wellwood-Slater-Thorburn
I don't know if Wellwood would work all that well on a line with Slater and Thorburn. I wouldn't be surprised if we roll out with the former Maple Leaf line a few times this season.

Savagestevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:19 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagestevo View Post
I don't know if Wellwood would work all that well on a line with Slater and Thorburn. I wouldn't be surprised if we roll out with the former Maple Leaf line a few times this season.
That's my hope as well. Those three have existing chemistry already, to me that makes the most sense.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
You need a lot of great two way play from centers to be successful in a top nine style system - burmistrov and little both have that ability. Hopefully Scheifele will be that third guy sometime in the near future.

If we get the cup contender-esque depth AROUND the centermen, that's what we should strive to be as a team IMO.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:42 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

i dont get the wellwood hate....how were we going to upgrade on a 50 point guy exactly?...we've got a whole lot of upgrading to do before we have to worry about the 50 point guys.

i dont see any of our AHL players scoring half that this year, given the chance.

good signing in my opinion...wish it was for 2 years to be honest, but I'll take 1.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Not a fan of welly. That being said he is a decent guy to round out the bottom 6. Glad we got him at a decent price hopefully he can put up numbers like last year and not regress to his previous 5 seasons.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:36 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Good money for him. This is the biggest contract in money-wise what Wellwood has ever signed. Also an important re-signing for the Jets. I assume that we aren't in Semin-race, if we ever have even been there.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
People have long said that Wellwood has an incredibly high on-ice hockey IQ, and that apparently he has a borderline genius take on the game itself. There is already talk that he'll make a great assistant coach after he retires for example.

Love what he has to say about the Jets here...

Quote:
"To have this out of the way and be able to come into an environment I already know and have some familiarity, I'm really excited," Wellwood said in a conference call from his home in Windsor, Ont. "I felt like it was a positive building year for me last year. Talking to Winnipeg before the signing (last year) I wasn't sure what kind of fit it was going to be for me, but for them to get (Alexei) Ponikarovsky, a big left winger who has got some skill, and adding (Olli) Jokinen up the middle I really got excited about coming to the team again and making a run at the playoffs.

"You get to be a free agent and you get to look at all the teams. I was looking at Winnipeg and they seem to really do some great things, they've got some great young players coming up and they've added a couple of pieces which we really needed, especially if we want to improve our road record which was our big downfall last year. Having the young guys coming up like (Spencer) Machacek and (Mark) Scheifele and some bigger D-men bodes well in the future, too."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...162452556.html

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
thereturn

Good article... and I also like how he's talking about improving his conditioning to play more minutes, when needed.

thereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
People have long said that Wellwood has an incredibly high on-ice hockey IQ, and that apparently he has a borderline genius take on the game itself. There is already talk that he'll make a great assistant coach after he retires for example.

Love what he has to say about the Jets here...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...162452556.html
Hahaha I can see it now:
#teamwellyforcoach

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereturn View Post
Good article... and I also like how he's talking about improving his conditioning to play more minutes, when needed.
Reading that kind of changed my mind about resigning him. Seems to be dedicated to making himself better and making the team better. I can't complain about that.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:42 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Reading that kind of changed my mind about resigning him. Seems to be dedicated to making himself better and making the team better. I can't complain about that.
I agree. I think it was most likely a realization that:

1. He's small
2. He's getting older
3. He can't simply get by on skill anymore
4. His time to cash in is running out.
5. Thus, he's gotta get in better shape and be ready to play.

I think we'll see a strong season from him - he was offered a 2 year contract, which he turned down. Prior to this year, he wanted a longer term contract - I think he plans on going all out during this season to ramp up his value. IMHO.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:48 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Meh. Not a wellwood fan, but term and salary is manageable.

I agree with Holden though, that I much rather the Jets allowed their young players to compete for a top 6 spot. Now they have Antro, Poni, Welly, Mittens all with expiring contracts - leading to UFA - at the end of the year. Or 1/3rd of your forwards. As I don't expect any of them back after this year. But the young players, who are close to making it - cormier, machacek, klingberg (??), scheifele (??) will likely have to wait another year.

First Chevy move I really have to question.
I understand wanting to get youngsters into the lineup, but I am also cool with waiting. The Jets are being very patient with their prospects and they are working hard to develop them the right way. It looks like the Detroit model for player development and I see nothing wrong with that.

For what its worth, I don't think Klingberg or Scheifele will be given serious consideration this year anyways.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:27 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I understand wanting to get youngsters into the lineup, but I am also cool with waiting. The Jets are being very patient with their prospects and they are working hard to develop them the right way. It looks like the Detroit model for player development and I see nothing wrong with that.

For what its worth, I don't think Klingberg or Scheifele will be given serious consideration this year anyways.
My opinion is, if they weren't good enough to push them out of the top lines than they aren't ready to cut it anyways.
I like the idea of our top offensive prospects starting when ready on a strong second line while the lower tier more defensive do third/fourth.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:25 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I agree. I think it was most likely a realization that:

1. He's small
2. He's getting older
3. He can't simply get by on skill anymore
4. His time to cash in is running out.
5. Thus, he's gotta get in better shape and be ready to play.

I think we'll see a strong season from him - he was offered a 2 year contract, which he turned down. Prior to this year, he wanted a longer term contract - I think he plans on going all out during this season to ramp up his value. IMHO.
Yea I agree with this and would add:

6. People can change when they become dad's. You have a baby that depends on you and it can become real pretty fast.

I like the article. Kyle takes ownership of the fact he was not fit enough to play more minutes last year and says he is working on getting in shape. that combined with him choosing a 1 year deal over a 2 year deal tells me he is going to have to eat what he kills to get paid well next year. Historically fitness and maybe consistency have been his challenges so Kyle showing up fit and maybe with an edge could lead to improved numbers from last year and that would be big for us.

I like that Poni, Wellwood, and Antro are all in the last year of their contracts, I think it could lead to some big years for the boys.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:48 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
(...)

I like that Poni, Wellwood, and Antro are all in the last year of their contracts, I think it could lead to some big years for the boys.
I would laugh my butt off, and cry tears of joy, if that ex-Leafs 3rd line challenged for the scoring title amongst the top 3 Jets lines.

One can dream.