HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2012, 05:51 AM
  #301
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,678
vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectTalk View Post
Wont play over 30 games in the NHL? So you're telling me no team is ever going to try to play Dumba the majority of the season in any stage of his career?
That's just bizarre nonsense really isnt it?

Pretty much a troll post. At the very least it is severe misinformed nonsense.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:03 PM
  #302
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Some highlights from today.



Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:28 PM
  #303
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I have watched him around a dozen times and can not say I have seen anything impressive from his play at any point. He skates around and hits people but typicaly doesn't "destroy them". Seem out of position alot. Too small. Missed the net a lot....

I much perfered his D partner Petrovic in every aspect. Bigger, meaner, better positioning, bigger hitter, better passer...

Dumba is highly over rated form the small sample size I have watched him. Highly doubt his style will transfer over to the NHL but with defenseman... who knows. Could be great but I would guess he doesn't play more than 30 games in the NHL his whole career.
Please define "small sample size"...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:31 PM
  #304
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
From the two scrimmages, Dumba certainly has an unique skillset that is rare to find in a prospect. That ... dynamic energy of hitting and offensive skills you don't find often.

But, he did shown some flaws. Because of this "dynamic" style, he needs to figure out that sometimes its better to play simple and effective.

He is a bit erratic and inconsistency in terms of what I described, but with a few years of development as well as several international tournaments, that is something he can most definitely learn.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:02 AM
  #305
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
Huuuuuuuuuuuge Dumba fan here!!! (for me it was Galchenyuk or Dumba for 3rd overall!).

I'm going to follow as many Minnesota Wild games as I possibly can!!

Dumba is going to be a fun dman to watch (fast, exciting and electrifying) and I wish him all the luck in the world/universe.

Off topic: he also has an interesting mix (for all the girls out there!)...I'm pretty sure he's half Filipino, no? The other half is Irish Canadian?? (no idea). Anyways...he's going to be a dandy, can't wait till he's NHL ready (1 year and a half to two years away?).


Go Dumba Go!!
Go Wild Go!!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:09 AM
  #306
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 16,753
vCash: 1000
That hit on Foucault was beautiful.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:27 AM
  #307
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Huuuuuuuuuuuge Dumba fan here!!! (for me it was Galchenyuk or Dumba for 3rd overall!).

I'm going to follow as many Minnesota Wild games as I possibly can!!

Dumba is going to be a fun dman to watch (fast, exciting and electrifying) and I wish him all the luck in the world/universe.

Off topic: he also has an interesting mix (for all the girls out there!)...I'm pretty sure he's half Filipino, no? The other half is Irish Canadian?? (no idea). Anyways...he's going to be a dandy, can't wait till he's NHL ready (1 year and a half to two years away?).


Go Dumba Go!!
Go Wild Go!!
You'll have to wait a couple years to cheer for Dumba though.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:49 AM
  #308
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
You'll have to wait a couple years to cheer for Dumba though.
What's the expression?! Good things happen to those who wait!!
(It's too bad we have to wait but it's for the better...proper development).

Also...newly acquired Parise (home sweet home!) and Suter will surely make things more interesting in Minnesota (and I'm sure they can't wait for Dumba to be ready to go). Present and near future is looking brighter and brighter for Wild fans

Go Dumba Go!!


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-16-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:58 AM
  #309
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
What's the expression?! Good things happen to those who wait!!
Also...newly acquired Parise (home sweet home!) and Suter will surely make things more interesting in Minnesota (and I'm sure they can't wait for Dumba to be ready to go). Present and near future is looking brighter and brighter for Wild fans

Go Dumba Go!!
We're licking our lips at a possible Brodin - Dumba pairing in the foreseeable future.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:01 AM
  #310
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
We're licking our lips at a possible Brodin - Dumba pairing in the foreseeable future.
Looking forward to that as well. Going to be exciting I'm sure.

Good luck to your Wild (now let's just hope there's no lockout...need NHL hockey during fall/winter!!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:02 AM
  #311
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
What's the expression?! Good things happen to those who wait!!
(It's too bad we have to wait but it's for the better...proper development).

Also...newly acquired Parise (home sweet home!) and Suter will surely make things more interesting in Minnesota (and I'm sure they can't wait for Dumba to be ready to go). Present and near future is looking brighter and brighter for Wild fans

Go Dumba Go!!
We've been waiting for 12 years+

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:40 AM
  #312
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
We've been waiting for 12 years+
That's dedication! And when is the last time TWO (not only one) of the best UFA players went to Minnesota?

Always a good time to be a Minnesota Wild fan (huge hockey state), but this is GREAT time to be a fan, especially for the Wild fans that have been waiting a long time (anyone will tell you that they'd gladly welcome Parise, Suter, and Dumba on their team ).

Also looking forward to seeing Dumba represent Canada at the WJC tournament.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:01 AM
  #313
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Matt Dumba Sweet Goal


LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:04 AM
  #314
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Love it. I'm excited for whenever he joins the Wild.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:16 AM
  #315
DuckJet
I love Monabae
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 40,365
vCash: 69
Man, this kid has wheels. Beast.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:52 AM
  #316
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Can't wait to see a Brodin-Dumba duo!

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:55 AM
  #317
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Man, this kid has wheels. Beast.
Two things.

1. Watching the draft, I thought Anaheim was going to take him. I was freaking out at my place.

2. Having said that, Lindholm and Trouba should be good for your respective teams. Granted, I don't watch a lot of the prospects play but I read a lot leading up to the draft and watched whatever video was available of potential prospects around 7. So I'm not an expert but those two kids look to be really solid too.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:12 AM
  #318
JSC
Registered Sniper
 
JSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,058
vCash: 500
i think the explosion is better than the finish. That was just insane. Kid can fly.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:18 AM
  #319
DuckJet
I love Monabae
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 40,365
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
Two things.

1. Watching the draft, I thought Anaheim was going to take him. I was freaking out at my place.

2. Having said that, Lindholm and Trouba should be good for your respective teams. Granted, I don't watch a lot of the prospects play but I read a lot leading up to the draft and watched whatever video was available of potential prospects around 7. So I'm not an expert but those two kids look to be really solid too.
I was actually rather upset that we took Lindholm over Trouba (though him going to the Jets was a nice consolation) he was my #2 defenseman behind Murray. I figured, we already have Fowler and Vatanen what's the use in going with another OFD? As it turns out Lindholm is much better than I expected (just from what I saw in prospect camp). Though I was more furious we passed on Forsberg. Didn't help that we traded Visnovsky for a second rounder, then the rumor that Ryan wanted out of Anaheim came out right before the pick so I kept thinking (don't do anything stupid Murray...you're already screwing us) then I see the tweet "welcome to the Ducks Lindholm" and I was pretty close to popping a blood vessel. The way the top 5 went I was ecstatic to have a shot at Forsberg, Trouba, Grigorenko, Dumba, or Faksa...Lindholm was literally the last guy to cross my mind. But as I said he's been impressive so I'm satisfied for now. Still can't say for sure he was the BPA there (Forsberg, Grigorenko, and Dumba have all been impressive while Lindholm waits for the AHL season to start).

As for Dumba...it's gonna be hit or miss for him and it all depends on his size. If his size is a factor, he'll be a fringe 4-5 d-man, if he can use his other skills to compensate for the smaller size (and if he adds like 15-20 pounds) he can be the steal of the draft as far as d-men go.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:28 AM
  #320
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I was actually rather upset that we took Lindholm over Trouba (though him going to the Jets was a nice consolation) he was my #2 defenseman behind Murray. I figured, we already have Fowler and Vatanen what's the use in going with another OFD? As it turns out Lindholm is much better than I expected (just from what I saw in prospect camp). Though I was more furious we passed on Forsberg. Didn't help that we traded Visnovsky for a second rounder, then the rumor that Ryan wanted out of Anaheim came out right before the pick so I kept thinking (don't do anything stupid Murray...you're already screwing us) then I see the tweet "welcome to the Ducks Lindholm" and I was pretty close to popping a blood vessel. The way the top 5 went I was ecstatic to have a shot at Forsberg, Trouba, Grigorenko, Dumba, or Faksa...Lindholm was literally the last guy to cross my mind. But as I said he's been impressive so I'm satisfied for now. Still can't say for sure he was the BPA there (Forsberg, Grigorenko, and Dumba have all been impressive while Lindholm waits for the AHL season to start).

As for Dumba...it's gonna be hit or miss for him and it all depends on his size. If his size is a factor, he'll be a fringe 4-5 d-man, if he can use his other skills to compensate for the smaller size (and if he adds like 15-20 pounds) he can be the steal of the draft as far as d-men go.
I agree with the Lindholm comment but not so much the Dumba comment.

Lindholm is a great prospect but did really think Trouba made a great fit for the Ducks. Like you said, the Ducks already have two high end offensive defensemen in Fowler and Vatanen, so Trouba, I thought, made excellent sense.

For Dumba, I don't size is going to be the deciding factor, its going to be his hockey sense in the defensive zone. He has great hockey sense when it comes to rushing the puck, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, and making the right hits. However, I question his ability to make consistently the simple and smart defensive plays in his own zone.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:53 AM
  #321
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,800
vCash: 500
That was a hell of an individual effort there.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:55 AM
  #322
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,750
vCash: 500
Nice goal, great effort.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:02 AM
  #323
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,097
vCash: 500
That was great.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:42 AM
  #324
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,598
vCash: 500
Can't wait until this kid joins the Wild in a couple years.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:02 AM
  #325
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
Love it. I'm excited for whenever he joins the Wild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Can't wait to see a Brodin-Dumba duo!
yup. hopefully he can lead the rush in the nhl too, that would really help the wild out. or he could just create breakaways, that works too.

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.