HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban VS Doughty

View Poll Results: Can Subban be a better offensive D man than Drew Doughty ?
Yes 79 40.31%
No 117 59.69%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-15-2012, 08:28 AM
MaxLacoste

vCash: 500
Doughty is better than Subban, period. BUT Subban didn't reach his full potential yet. He will be a 65 pts d-man, IMO. The most important thing about PK is that he have the personnality and character to have success in Montreal. And that's pretty rare.

MaxLacoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:58 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Doughty is better than Subban, period. BUT Subban didn't reach his full potential yet. He will be a 65 pts d-man, IMO. The most important thing about PK is that he have the personnality and character to have success in Montreal. And that's pretty rare.
Chances are Doughty hasn't either. Thats the thing, he's younger than Subban and has already proven more. The chance Subban could end up being better does exist but its unlikely. Far too unlikely for people on this board to vote so overwhelmingly in favor of Subban. I know the ''NO'' option leads the poll but on the mainboard this would be 95% in favor of Doughty, and not because of anti-habs bias.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Doughty is a perfect comparison for Subban as their playing styles are almost identical.

Hey, I'd be ecstatic if Subban reaches Doughty's point totals. I don't think you can ask for more than that. However, I believe Doughty will be the bigger point producer.

The best is yet to come out of both players, but Doughty will be at a slightly higher clip in his prime, imo.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:30 PM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Thats a really homer thread. Only Montreal fans would take Subban over Doughty.

The chances that PK could end up having a better career are extremely thin. As of now Doughty has a considerable head start even if he's younger.
Get back at me in 2 years. We'll see how all the years of not training in the summer and having double chins will effect dough boy doughty. Just an inferior athlete and has a terrible attitude.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:10 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Anything less would be a disapointment.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:19 PM
NotProkofievian

No one ever will become better than someone currently better than themselves until they actually do. That's how hfboards hypotheticals work.

"Well, X is currently better than Y, so...I think it'll remain that way for the forseeable future." Zero imagination, thought, or logic goes into this. Essentially, it boils down to "no one ever is, until they are."

Watch this entire board's opinion magically change if Subban lays down a serious offensive season this year.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownquestionbro View Post
Get back at me in 2 years. We'll see how all the years of not training in the summer and having double chins will effect dough boy doughty. Just an inferior athlete and has a terrible attitude.
You are right about this.

Dawgthy is acting like a brat off the ice while Subban is acting like on on the ice.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:14 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
No one ever will become better than someone currently better than themselves until they actually do. That's how hfboards hypotheticals work.

"Well, X is currently better than Y, so...I think it'll remain that way for the forseeable future." Zero imagination, thought, or logic goes into this. Essentially, it boils down to "no one ever is, until they are."

Watch this entire board's opinion magically change if Subban lays down a serious offensive season this year.
Except that Doughty is younger and has already played major roles in Cup and Gold medal wins. Saying that Doughty is better than Subban is really the same as saying that Datsyuk is better than Plekanec. Pointing out that our guys aren't the best nn no way does it diminishes their value.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Narbo

Doughty is better than Subban as of today, but please re-post this next year.

People forget about the job Michel Therrien did with Kris Letang, and there are many comparables between he and Subban. I actually think PK is better than Kris at the same age in their career.

PK was hardly "stunted" in his development...he had to learn to play defense first, regardless of who was the coach.

I'm expecting a huge season from PK this year, and I believe Therrien will get the best out of him.

Narbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:20 AM
theboss

What a homer thread smh

theboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:35 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
What a homer thread smh
''Hey guise is Desharnais better than Grioux? I mean...he COULD get more points, amirite?''

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:44 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Except that Doughty is younger and has already played major roles in Cup and Gold medal wins. Saying that Doughty is better than Subban is really the same as saying that Datsyuk is better than Plekanec. Pointing out that our guys aren't the best nn no way does it diminishes their value.
This is representative of the most banal of analyses which I was attacking in my original post. Furthermore, you didn't address a single point that I made.

Would you like to try again? This time, consider that improvement of two players may not be linear, or linearly dependent.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
What a homer thread smh
gonna bump this quote in 10 months.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:24 AM
theboss

Quote:
Sure u do that

theboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Habblues

Ok, we`re getting off topic here. My poll was asking CAN he, does he have the potential to be better than Doughty ? I truely he can be, and if they would let him play his game offensively he will be. BUT would Don Cherry eat some crow and give credit where credit is due and show some Subban highlights ??? lol.....I bet not, but lets see.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:37 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Sigh... Subban is going to be a stud... our stud...

Doughty's already a stud... you can't teach the way he thinks, anticipates or sees the game...

If Subban can be a top 10 D in this league then I am MORE than happy but I don't think over the duration of their careers it will be close especially because once both of their physical tools wear out... Doughty's superior thinking will still have the edge

Anyway this is a mad homer thread but I am expecting PK to break the 40 point threshold and pot at least 10 goals with a healthy Markov!

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
It's funny to see that people truly think that...

Maybe some of the ones who picked Subban (homer votes, IMO) could explain why the older Subban hasn't reached his potential while younger Doughty has?

It's painfully obvious that there are many voters who are asleep when Doughty hits the ice on game nights... and that coming from a big Subban fan.

Last edited by Habsterix*: 07-19-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
habs_24x

Quote:
Yea, the lockout shoud be over by then

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's funny to see that people truly think that...

Maybe some of the ones who picked Subban (homer votes, IMO) could explain why the older Subban hasn't reached his potential while younger Doughty has?

It's painfully obvious that there are many voters who are asleep when Doughty hits the ice on game nights... and that coming from a big Subban fan.
You're right, Doughty plays three time zones behind Subban. You're also right about the prevalent homerism. The dreamers dream while the insomniacs watch. If Doughty had been drafted by the Habs and Subban by the Kings, the Devils might have won the Cup and Habs fans would have said it's a shame Doughty lacked the opportunity to show how good he is.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Ok, we`re getting off topic here. My poll was asking CAN he, does he have the potential to be better than Doughty ? I truely he can be, and if they would let him play his game offensively he will be. BUT would Don Cherry eat some crow and give credit where credit is due and show some Subban highlights ??? lol.....I bet not, but lets see.
On that basis... yes, absolutely he has the talent to do it. If you'd had asked it a different way say - Who will be the better offensive defenseman over the course of their careers, well then it would be a different story. I'm sure the poll wouldn't be as close at it is.

As for Subban's potential, I love it. And I totally get why other fan bases come in here and think we're a bunch of homers when this stuff gets written. But I've gotta say that in this case, I feel like PK is a special player with exceptional talent. He definitely has the potential to become one of the very best blueliners in the game and his offensive potential is fantastic. Maybe I am looking through rose coloured glasses but I've really enjoyed watching him develop. He hasn't accomplished what Doughty has but I don't think it's that crazy to think that he might become as good or better in the future. PK is a special talent and if he can keep his head on right, he'll have a special career.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
On that basis... yes, absolutely he has the talent to do it. If you'd had asked it a different way say - Who will be the better offensive defenseman over the course of their careers, well then it would be a different story. I'm sure the poll wouldn't be as close at it is.

As for Subban's potential, I love it. And I totally get why other fan bases come in here and think we're a bunch of homers when this stuff gets written. But I've gotta say that in this case, I feel like PK is a special player with exceptional talent. He definitely has the potential to become one of the very best blueliners in the game and his offensive potential is fantastic. Maybe I am looking through rose coloured glasses but I've really enjoyed watching him develop. He hasn't accomplished what Doughty has but I don't think it's that crazy to think that he might become as good or better in the future. PK is a special talent and if he can keep his head on right, he'll have a special career.
Maybe Doughty is a smarter player and has already learned many of the things you expect Subban to learn in time. By the way, I'm not implying that Subban isn't a very talented player. He is.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I voted No Doughty is really good! PK will be a great player, already is. But I don't believe you will ever be able to 100 percent discipline him. But Heh! That's what we love about PK anyway...

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:40 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
So was Guy Lafleur and many others that were great hockey players. Doughty scored 59pts at 19 years old and if he's had trouble scoring that much in the last two years he's become a defensive force. The kid has tremendous vision, hockey sense and talent. Those are things you can hardly learn and he's better in these aspects than Subban.

I'm also sure Doughty is actually in good shape. Double-chin doesn't mean he's fat or not in shape. Some people have it naturally no matter what shape they are in and if he constantly plays between 24 and 30 minutes per game I'm sure he's not overweight.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Habs

Wow, Subban/Orr comparisons now, this is awesome.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:20 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Wow, Subban/Orr comparisons now, this is awesome.
Dat's how we roll!!

wigglewigglewigglewiggle

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote