Offseason moves part 2

Old
07-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarna View Post
I think all of this is low risk-high reward signing so Feaster could think about one of this players
What do you think about that ?
No room for more wingers.

Even Mueller wasn't going to be playing centre, especially since he could trigger his post-concussion syndrome by simply brushing his teeth.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:43 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Well so far, I see this as the lineup:

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Glencross-Cervenka/Stajan-Hudler
Bartschi-Backlund-Stempniak
Comeau-Jones-Jackman
Bouma

Bouwmeester-Wideman
Giordano-Butler
Brodie-Sarich
Smith

Kipper
Irving (pending signing)

The backend is missing a solid top 4 shutdown threat and Wideman's defense is quite suspect. However the defense should generate more offense.

Our forwards are quite good on the wing, but we have horrible centers.

I don't see a whole lot of improvement to be honest. We should score more, but I'm worried we'll have serious defensive issues and be too small in every position. Hope for big contributions from Backlund, Bartschi, Wideman, Cervenka and Hudler. If everyone else does there job, then we should at least be in the running for a PO spot.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
^ Switch Wideman and Butler, we know Jbo and Butler work well togther are can handle top lines, a Gio Wideman pairing could be good as Gio isn't all that offensive 5v5 he is more of a two way defenseman so he could help Wideman out. I think it is a significant improvement as
Cammy >= Jokinen (Cammy had 16 points 7 goals and 9 assists in his 18 games as #1 center this year)
Hudler>Stempniak
Stempniak> Comeau
Comeau>TKO
Sven>Moss
Cervenka ?>=? Backlund

Wideman>Hannan
Sarich>Babchuck

and most importantly
Hartley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sutter

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Well so far, I see this as the lineup:

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Glencross-Cervenka/Stajan-Hudler
Bartschi-Backlund-Stempniak
Comeau-Jones-Jackman
Bouma

Bouwmeester-Wideman
Giordano-Butler
Brodie-Sarich
Smith

Kipper
Irving (pending signing)

The backend is missing a solid top 4 shutdown threat and Wideman's defense is quite suspect. However the defense should generate more offense.

Our forwards are quite good on the wing, but we have horrible centers.

I don't see a whole lot of improvement to be honest. We should score more, but I'm worried we'll have serious defensive issues and be too small in every position. Hope for big contributions from Backlund, Bartschi, Wideman, Cervenka and Hudler. If everyone else does there job, then we should at least be in the running for a PO spot.
I agree for the most part... I see improvement, I don't see enough improvement to merit me getting excited for next year.
Still months to go, hopefully feaster can pull a rabbit out of his hat and give us a top line center, a young one...

Wings look decent, center looks pathetic. Defence might be a bit suspect, especially if we move jbo...

Can look at it this way though... Last year, no flame had a real career year... Few more goals here and there and we could maybe have been eliminated by Vancouver in the first round.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:12 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I agree for the most part... I see improvement, I don't see enough improvement to merit me getting excited for next year.
Still months to go, hopefully feaster can pull a rabbit out of his hat and give us a top line center, a young one...

Wings look decent, center looks pathetic. Defence might be a bit suspect, especially if we move jbo...

Can look at it this way though... Last year, no flame had a real career year... Few more goals here and there and we could maybe have been eliminated by Vancouver in the first round.
Glencross sure as hell had a career year.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Glencross sure as hell had a career year.
More or less, too bad for the injury, because I think last year was the year he took the next step in being one of the best second liners in the NHL.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:36 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
More or less, too bad for the injury, because I think last year was the year he took the next step in being one of the best second liners in the NHL.
Yea I think he is already one of the best second liners in the nhl hopefully he stays under the radar.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:40 PM
MarkGio

Hartley will get some career year out of some guys. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but man did Butter ever suck the life out of this team for a long time. Next year should be more fun to watch.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

The way I see it, the theme for next season is "IF".
  • IF Cammy can perform well as our #1 centre
  • IF Iggy can return to scoring 70+ pts and 30+ goals
  • IF Cervenka be an effective player in the NHL
  • IF Backlund can have a break out season
  • IF Wideman can provide that missing presence from our backend and not be a defensive liability
  • IF Sven can become another legitimate scoring option
  • And lastly and probably most importantly, IF Hartley can have the Flames stop playing as individuals and as a team

IF these points can be attained, then the Flames have a chance next year at success.

And personally, I agree that Wideman should play with Bouwmeester. I think their games compliment each others very well and I think that could actually turn out to be a very good pairing. Wideman would add a nice physical element to that duo, and Bouwmeester's speed would be a great asset to cover when Wideman pinches.

And I am going to predict that Brodie plays with Gio next season. I think he impresses Hartley right out of camp and he earns a top 4 spot. Brodie and Gio are actually somewhat similar players and I have a feeling they could do very well together. Brodie's offensive instincts could really help Gio to produce more, and Gio has the right kind of physical presence to mesh well with Brodie's game.

We need to remember that Hartley has never coached these guys before, so I don't think he'll care if Butler and Bouwmeester did ok together last season. He'll match guys the way he thinks is best. Bouwmeester could also play with Gio or Brodie.

And lastly I think Stajan and Babchuk somehow get moved. So my lineup looks like this:

Tangs Cammy Iggy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Baertschi Backlund Stempniak
Comeau Jones Jackman

Bouwmeester Wideman
Gio Brodie
Sarich Butler

Kipper
Irving

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Hartley will get some career year out of some guys. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but man did Butter ever suck the life out of this team for a long time. Next year should be more fun to watch.
WHAT, you didn't like Sutter?

Obviously Lowe saw something he didn't like about him either.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post

Was it Tom Kostopolus on the second line? That was the final nail for me.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:07 AM
MarkGio

@MVW

I would add IF we can win faceoffs and IF we can get it done in the shoot-out.

Every season has it's IFs, but this season is under the microscope more than previous seasons because Iginla's contract is expiring in July. That, and we have the first change in coaching staff since we started to fail at making the playoffs.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:35 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
The way I see it, the theme for next season is "IF".
  • IF Cammy can perform well as our #1 centre
  • IF Iggy can return to scoring 70+ pts and 30+ goals
  • IF Cervenka be an effective player in the NHL
  • IF Backlund can have a break out season
  • IF Wideman can provide that missing presence from our backend and not be a defensive liability
  • IF Sven can become another legitimate scoring option
  • And lastly and probably most importantly, IF Hartley can have the Flames stop playing as individuals and as a team

IF these points can be attained, then the Flames have a chance next year at success.

And personally, I agree that Wideman should play with Bouwmeester. I think their games compliment each others very well and I think that could actually turn out to be a very good pairing. Wideman would add a nice physical element to that duo, and Bouwmeester's speed would be a great asset to cover when Wideman pinches.

And I am going to predict that Brodie plays with Gio next season. I think he impresses Hartley right out of camp and he earns a top 4 spot. Brodie and Gio are actually somewhat similar players and I have a feeling they could do very well together. Brodie's offensive instincts could really help Gio to produce more, and Gio has the right kind of physical presence to mesh well with Brodie's game.

We need to remember that Hartley has never coached these guys before, so I don't think he'll care if Butler and Bouwmeester did ok together last season. He'll match guys the way he thinks is best. Bouwmeester could also play with Gio or Brodie.

And lastly I think Stajan and Babchuk somehow get moved. So my lineup looks like this:

Tangs Cammy Iggy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Baertschi Backlund Stempniak
Comeau Jones Jackman

Bouwmeester Wideman
Gio Brodie
Sarich Butler

Kipper
Irving
This is exactly my lineup for next season. If the coaching staff can get this team to play a high tempo offensive style it could be a very interesting season. The team has a lot of offensively talented players, but they all have their warts and inconsistency. If the team meshes and is capable of compensating for each others weaknesses I believe the flames can be a very good team in the west. If they dont, were likely a bubble team for the 4th season in a row.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Xelstyle

Bouwmeester Wideman
Gio Brodie
Sarich Butler

or

Butler Bouwmeester
Gio Wideman
Brodie Sarich

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw both but to start the season, the former.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
@MVW

I would add IF we can win faceoffs and IF we can get it done in the shoot-out.

Every season has it's IFs, but this season is under the microscope more than previous seasons because Iginla's contract is expiring in July. That, and we have the first change in coaching staff since we started to fail at making the playoffs.
Absolutely, all good points to.

I really hope Iggy is training especially hard this offseason, because I have a feeling Hartley is gonna ride him hard this year like a race horse.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 487
Quote:

Considering he pulled the same **** with Canada at the World Championships that we saw all 82 games of last season - yeah, even someone like Lowe could see his shortcomings...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:51 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

Oh? Did I not mention that? I could've sworn I mentioned it (only) once or twice before, but I could be mistaken.

My line-up is almost identical except I would have Jackman as my 13th forward while Aliu or Bouma play with Combs and Jones, (assuming Stajan is shipped out). I just think a young energy line would be exciting to watch, but Jackman can get the odd shift to ensure no one is getting bullied.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

About 2 weeks I left on holidays to BC for a week. Anyways, I was out with some of my friends tonight and one of them told me that about a week ago apparently the guys on the Fan (Steinberg or whoever) were talking about a rumor involving Bouwmeester for Gomez....wtf?!!!

Did anyone else hear this? Is that ever happened I would burn down all the Donut stores in all of Calgary.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:04 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
About 2 weeks I left on holidays to BC for a week. Anyways, I was out with some of my friends tonight and one of them told me that about a week ago apparently the guys on the Fan (Steinberg or whoever) were talking about a rumor involving Bouwmeester for Gomez....wtf?!!!

Did anyone else hear this? Is that ever happened I would burn down all the Donut stores in all of Calgary.
The rumor was Jbo for Gomez/Kaberle + 2013 habs 1st. But it was said that Calgary liked the Kaberle one better and were about to do it since it never happened I say it was all bs.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:26 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
The rumor was Jbo for Gomez/Kaberle + 2013 habs 1st. But it was said that Calgary liked the Kaberle one better and were about to do it since it never happened I say it was all bs.
If they traded Jbo for Gomez I'd be enraged. I'd probably be ok with Kabs and a 1st though. There's a chance that 1st would end up being a top 10 pick.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:28 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
If they traded Jbo for Gomez I'd be enraged. I'd probably be ok with Kabs and a 1st though. There's a chance that 1st would end up being a top 10 pick.
Given that last year almost everyone in Montreal had a terrible I find it hard to believe they will suck that badly I think they would be around 14th but with out Jbo and having Kabs replace him we would be in the top 10.

I would rather get Gomez shorter contract can win faceoffs and is a offensive player he could be turned around by Hartley if not only 1 year left after that.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

We couldn't add Gomez without moving out Stajan. No way the owner's have both those guys on our payroll at same time.

Its true the Habs could have a decent season, but there's lots of uncertainty around that team right now. It wouldn't surprise me to see them struggle again next year although not as bad as this season.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:25 AM
samwitch

Sorry for the off-topic question, but who was Phaneuf's D partner when he was here? Specifically during the big years that he had.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Sorry for the off-topic question, but who was Phaneuf's D partner when he was here? Specifically during the big years that he had.
I believe it was Aucoin and Hamrlik.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:02 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
We couldn't add Gomez without moving out Stajan. No way the owner's have both those guys on our payroll at same time.

Its true the Habs could have a decent season, but there's lots of uncertainty around that team right now. It wouldn't surprise me to see them struggle again next year although not as bad as this season.
Not true we have 3.5 mil in cap space and adding gomez for jbo is only another million. I don't want gomez at all but I want him more than kaberle.