HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread III (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 03:16 PM
kihei

vCash: 2102
Nishikori over Rochus 6-7, 6-4, 6-2

Kei is definitely an up and comer, having got to #18 in the world from #52 this time last year. He doesn't have much bite on his serve, and his principle backhand is no more than a two-handed flick without much weight behind it, but its a fast release and it seems to catch people by surprise. On the plus side, he has very good court coverage and a fine forehand that he can do a lot with on occasion. He's capable of scintillating tennis in small stretches, but today provides evidence that he has trouble closing out sets.

Nishikori had a 5-0 lead in the first set tie breaker and lost the set. He had a two service break lead in the second set and had to hang on to win that. Finally, the diminutive Rochus, who in size and shape resembles a mobile Garden Gnome out there, was broken early in the third set and seemed to lose interest in the match from that point on. As a result, Nishikori cruised through an easy set for the win. I can see Kei making the outer reaches of the top ten maybe, but not going further unless he develops more weapons. He is an attractive player to watch, though, the kind of player that bigger fish might understandably hope to avoid in the round of 32 in major tournaments.

Last edited by kihei: 07-11-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 04:48 PM
kihei

Weird how Mahut and Isner keep meeting. This time Isner won in two dull, lethargic sets 6-2, 7-6. At the beginning of the first set it seemed pretty clear that Mahut has lost what little taste he might have had for this one-sided rivalry. Not surprising since he hasn't defeated Isner in their three matches since Wimbledon '10 and that 70-68 fifth set defeat, which must be a painful memory.

Raonic plays Becker tomorrow. If he wins, he has a potential gnarly little run, by this tournament's standards anyway, of Harrison, Isner and Nishikori.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
reckoning

vCash: 500
Could anyone here possibly point me in the direction of a reliable online database with historical tennis results? Something that might have, say....the draws and results for all pro tournaments in 1977. Or something that could tell me who the top 20 ranked players were in November 1983.

Most results-based sites I've come across seem to be unorganized or incomplete. Surely there must be a hockey-reference.com type of site for tennis somewhere online?

Old
07-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Could anyone here possibly point me in the direction of a reliable online database with historical tennis results? Something that might have, say....the draws and results for all pro tournaments in 1977. Or something that could tell me who the top 20 ranked players were in November 1983.

Most results-based sites I've come across seem to be unorganized or incomplete. Surely there must be a hockey-reference.com type of site for tennis somewhere online?
Here you can get all ATP rankings going back to 1973:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

They also have a results archive going back to 1968, with draws as well
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/A...spx?t=2&y=1968

And each tourney has a link to every player

Old
07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
kihei

Lleyton Hewitt, with a slight but noticeable limp, struggled in Newport yesterday to beat an American tomato can, Tim Smyczek, finally prevailing in three sets. Hewitt is only six months older than Roger Federer, and watching him play in Newport I thought about how easily his career could have been so vastly different. He found traction more quickly than Roger did, and won the US Open at 20 years of age, Wimbledon the following year. He held down the #1 ranking for 80 weeks in all, still the youngest male ever to get to the top. How many people remember that? In 2001/2002, the future must have looked like it belonged to him and him alone. Then Federer matured, Hewitt began to run into injuries, and everything changed. All in all Federer and Hewitt met in eight Grand Slam tournaments with Roger winning all eight matches, defeating Hewitt in 24 out of 28 sets in the process; that dominance included an annihilation in their only meeting in a GS final, 6-0, 7-6, 6-0 in the ’04 US Open. Filpulla is Hewitt's biggest fan around here and this might help in part to explain his bitter animosity toward Federer.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
kihei

Those ATP stats are fun to play with. Stats obviously don't tell the whole story, but, for what it's worth, here's the winning %s for the best players in history on the men's side on different surfaces:

Clay: Nadal, .930; Borg, .863; Federer, .769; Laver, .766, Sampras, .625
Hard: Laver, .843; Federer, 832; Sampras, .804; Borg, .767; Nadal, .765
Grass: Federer, .875; Borg, .847; Sampras, .835; Laver .833; Nadal .806
Carpet: Borg, 826; Laver, .782; Sampras, .766; Federer, .725; Nadal, .250

Sort of cements the argument that Nadal is the clay court GOAT, but overall Borg matches up against Federer a little better than anybody else, I'd say.

Last edited by kihei: 07-12-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old
07-12-2012, 11:31 AM
kihei

Benjamin Becker is a career-long tomato can who has never had a winning season in singles play since joining the world tour. The only surface that he is over .500 on is, alas, grass (.564). So he should give Raonic a decent match.

First set: even on serve through an uneventful first six games, with Raonic mixing some fine forehands and good serves with some very loose strokes as well, kind of the typical Raonic match so far with strong serving and indifferent returning...an absolutely disastrous game for Raonic as he blows a 40-love lead on serve with a string of very bad unforced errors from the backcourt...as a result, Becker serves out the set, 6-3.

Second set: Becker breaks Raonic for 2-1. The contrast in experience on grass is striking. Becker looks very much at ease and is beginning to return serve in problematic ways for Milos, whereas Raonic simply flails away, hit and miss, looking lost a lot of the time....Becker holds easily at love and is now in complete control of this match, looking very comfortable in the driver's seat, 3-1....Becker is serving well, but Milos makes that serve look like more of a weapon than it is. The only time Raonic even begins to get a peek on Becker's serve is when Becker plays an uninspired point, 4-3 Becker on serve...Becker's play drops just a notch and Raonic earns two break points that end up resulting only in two ****** passing shots hit into the net, 5-3...and Becker eliminates any suspense by immediately breaking Milos for the match.

That match was nowhere near as close as the 6-3, 6-3 scores indicate. Yes, Becker's experience was telling; yes, Milos is new to the surface. But this is beginning to seem like a broken record. On the plus side is the serve and the occasional devastating forehand; on the negative side is everything else, including near epidemic lapses in concentration. On grass, he seems unable to adjust his footwork quickly enough so that he can properly strike the ball. As a result, he sprays his shots around, looking like he doesn't have a clue about what he is doing out there. His return of serve usually gets the ball in play, but when it is a set-up lollipop that falls in the middle of the court at the service line, it really doesn't further the cause a whit. Dismal showing.

Last edited by kihei: 07-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old
07-12-2012, 01:26 PM
MsWoof

It's funny how mosyt of us were salivating at the thought of Milos on grass when that's exposed his weakest link, his footwork. I don't think it's ever going to improve much beyond where it is now because of his body type, too long legged, but he's not helping himself with his swooping groundies on return of serve.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Raonic

Old
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

vCash: 1271
Dolgopolov has cornrows. That is all.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Here you can get all ATP rankings going back to 1973:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

They also have a results archive going back to 1968, with draws as well
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/A...spx?t=2&y=1968

And each tourney has a link to every player
Thank you.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:10 AM
MsWoof

Raonic's 2-propeller plane was met at the airport by firetrucks last night when 1 engine stopped working. He tweeted pics and vids of it. Scary!

Old
07-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Dolgopolov has cornrows. That is all.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:19 PM
kihei

Fun match in Croatia between Cilic, the worker ant, and Dogolpolov, the flighty grasshopper. Alex (blessedly free of cornrows) got a break in the first set that was a thing of beauty, a parade of slapshot forehands and delicate touch shots, his flamboyant game firing on all impressive cylinders. I wondered how Marin or anyone else could hope to thwart all that creative aggesion. There was a period that followed where Cilic just slowly came back, playing very steady, patient tennis, and took it away from Alex. Then, after that, his muse having abandoned the mercurial Dolgopolov, he went rather quietly, 7-5, 6-2. That game of his is fun to watch, though. My god, if Alex could play at his peek all the time, he would scare the living daylights out of everybody.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Fun match in Croatia between Cilic, the worker ant, and Dogolpolov, the flighty grasshopper. Alex (blessedly free of cornrows) got a break in the first set that was a thing of beauty, a parade of slapshot forehands and delicate touch shots, his flamboyant game firing on all impressive cylinders. I wondered how Marin or anyone else could hope to thwart all that creative aggesion. There was a period that followed where Cilic just slowly came back, playing very steady, patient tennis, and took it away from Alex. Then, after that, his muse having abandoned the mercurial Dolgopolov, he went rather quietly, 7-5, 6-2. That game of his is fun to watch, though. My god, if Alex could play at his peek all the time, he would scare the living daylights out of everybody.
Yes, he's a ridiculously streaky player. What a frustrating match: he couldn't hold onto a break twice in the first, including when he was serving for it. I stopped watching after he dropped his sixth game in a row. I sometimes wonder if he could still somehow put it all together, or if he's just a bit too flamboyant to control his game all the time.

Dimitrov-Ferrer was a nice match. Dimitrov had set points on Ferrer's serve in the second, and generally had the better of the play that set, but of course typically dropped serve at 5-5. Another Ferrer-Almagro final at a small clay event. Great...

Old
07-15-2012, 11:51 AM
kihei

I think it is fair to say that I was less surprised than just about everybody that Tipsarevic got into the Top Ten, but I am surprised he's showing such resilience in staying there. I just saw the third set of his hard fought match to win the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart against Monaco, and it amply demonstrated why his success continues. He is extremely fit and chases down everything. After a few long rallies, Monaco looked exhausted whereas Janko seemed to only need a couple of deep breaths to get back to speed. I've always liked his game, but it is his dogged determination that makes him a formidable foe now.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:48 PM
kihei

What a brilliant performance by Cilic today to win the Croatia title. Granollers, who seems intent upon moving up the ranking order, played a near flawless first seven games, but, with a similar arc to his match with Dolgopolov yesterday, Marin just kept relentlessly pounding away with his forehand, with the result that he took over the match completely despite the fact that Granollers wasn't playing all that badly. However Marcel was stuck so far in the backcourt that he was in danger of running into ball girls on occasion. He managed to get a lot of balls back in play but he couldn't place them from that distance so it seemed like Cilic was just walloping forehands all day. Cilic stumbled just at the end when he wasted two match points on serve, but then immediately pummeled Granollers into submission at love in the next game. Just a incredibly impressive performance from Marin and the best I can remember seeing him play on clay

Old
07-15-2012, 06:13 PM
kihei

Stumbled on an article in TennisX that mentioned two curious facts.

Fact 1: By the time the Olympics start, Novak Djokovic will have won only two titles in the preceding 11 months.

Even more curious:

Fact 2: Since October, 2010, Rafael Nadal has not won a single title on a surface other than clay.

Bonus:

Fact 3: Roger Federer is the second oldest player, behind Andre Agassi, to ever hold the #1 ranking. As of this evening, he officially has the record for most weeks at #1 with 287.

Last edited by kihei: 07-15-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old
07-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAeFX...e_gdata_player

Man I hope he plays til he's like 40.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:58 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Old
07-16-2012, 03:33 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Stumbled on an article in TennisX that mentioned two curious facts.

Fact 1: By the time the Olympics start, Novak Djokovic will have won only two titles in the preceding 11 months.
That's not really true, since the Olympics start July 28 and he won the US Open September 12, 2011 (listed as August 29 in the rankings). You could just as easily say he will have won three titles in 11 months. And even if it were technically true, it would just be straining the definition to make an interesting stat, and an 11 month period simply doesn't matter.

What I find more interesting about Djokovic the past year is that, of the eight tournaments Fed has won over that stretch, Djokovic contested seven of them. In four of those events (Basel, Dubai, Indian Wells, and Madrid) Nole suffered a surprise or outright shocking loss the round before he would have played Fed. Some said he simply tanked those matches. Well, if he had won any one of the four and even if he had lost to Fed the next round, he would still be #1.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:

Old
07-16-2012, 07:59 AM
kihei

Quote:
That's not really true, since the Olympics start July 28 and he won the US Open September 12, 2011 (listed as August 29 in the rankings). You could just as easily say he will have won three titles in 11 months. And even if it were technically true, it would just be straining the definition to make an interesting stat, and an 11 month period simply doesn't matter.
You make me smile sometimes.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
kihei

Interesting to see Simon forced into the role of aggressor by the ultra-passive Berlocq. Simon lost his first two service games but recovered from 0-3 to 4-4 only to play another loose service game and Berlocq took the set 6-4.

In a set that seemed to take a day and a half to play, Simon, after being broken serving at 5-3, holds on to take the breaker. Berlocq has a marshmallow, junk ball strategy that seems intended to induce narcolepsy or extreme frustation in his opponents. Gilles hasn't exactly brought anything close to his "A" game, so the final result is still much in doubt.

Simon raised his game considerably, employing more crisp pace and better angles, and took the deciding set easily, 6-1.

Paire/Tomic up next.

Last edited by kihei: 07-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old
07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
kihei

Tomic is tanking the first set so badly he may be disciplined for it. He isn't moving for easy balls, missing serves by 15 feet, and showing no respect for the game whatsoever. All this was evident from very near the beginning of the set, so it's not like he was giving up on a lost set or anything.

After the love set, Tomic is showing 10% more interest, thanks largely to Paire's penchant for unforced errors and inability to return serve consistently...Tomic whacking a serve and that's that is begging to be broken but Paire is botching the gifts...finally Tomic takes matters into his own hands and breaks himself, 4-3....mother of god, Paire manages to totally **** up four points to give Tomic the break back...this pair of clowns are unreal....however, Tomic will not be deterred so easily and breaks himself again, 5-4, with Paire to serve for the match....and with Tomic standing a couple of feet inside the baseling to return Paire's serve, yet another lackadaisical unforced error from Bernard ends the match, 6-0, 6-4.

That is the worst and most obvious tank job I have seen since Nastase. Tomic should be fined and suspended for that.

Last edited by kihei: 07-16-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Closed Thread