HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan Tested Free Agency, Got Back on His Horse and Stayed!

Old
07-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Matzel

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
I have been watching Doaner since his rookie days with the Jets. I absolutely value his contributions as a player, captain and in the community. This guy brings much more to his club than what can be seen on the score sheet.

Never the less, $7.5mm annually for 4 years would represent a gross over payment. If that's what it takes... he will have to move.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Haha. Eklund stealing from John Gambadoro? It's the end of days. The biggest idiot in Arizona sports incorrectly blurted out some nonsense he misheard and the biggest liar, snake oil selling, phony in hockey rips him off. Hahahahahaha

07-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Naurutger
Make it so

vCash: 1454
Doans agent will be on 1060 am in about 7 minutes

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Doans agent will be on 1060 am in about 7 minutes
This could actually be interesting. I trust the opinion of Doan's agent on our ownership situation more than any quotes from NHL, JIG, COG, GWI, PAC, or any of the other acronyms. haha.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Someone please take notes. I cant listen!

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

His agent said that media is pretty surprisingly good at getting scoops. He says sometimes he's in the room with just two other people and the media's got a hold of it in hours. They pressed him to confirm the 30mil. He said he wasn't comfortable discussing specifics while negotiations are ongoing (obviously). Almost leads me to believe it might be true, but there's every reason why his agent would want people to believe it.

Maloney and the agent spent 45 mins on the phone today. Agent doesn't speak with Jamison but Shane has.

Both he and Shane have been overwhelmed by interest from other teams and interest from media (specifically Canadian media). Turned his phone off for a quick flight and had twenty three voicemails from Canadian media when he turned his phone back on. Seems more annoyed than flattered.

Seems like neither Bross nor Maloney have any clue what's going on with the ownership mess.

Overall, it didn't sound like he was going to give out any real info. but neither radio show host tried at all to get answers. Nothing even close to "at this point, would you say it's more likely or less likely that Shane Doan is a Phoenix Coyote next season?" Nothing anywhere near like "What can you share with us about the 45min conversation you had with Maloney today?". No decent questions. I'm not asking for hardballs, and I know he'll probably duck most of that stuff but they didn't try at all. You can be tactful, polite and professional and still at least make an effort to do your job. I hate the sports media in this town. Gutless.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Naurutger
Make it so

vCash: 1454
Nothing said, did not reveal other offers and there is no deadline and Doan is in constant contact jamison.

Just read rt's breakdown which is a much better summary than mine above

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
I have been watching Doaner since his rookie days with the Jets. I absolutely value his contributions as a player, captain and in the community. This guy brings much more to his club than what can be seen on the score sheet.

Never the less, $7.5mm annually for 4 years would represent a gross over payment. If that's what it takes... he will have to move.
I agree that $7.5M/4yrs is absolutely ridiculous.

With that said, I think I would still pay it. And the only reason why is that we are way below the floor to the point that members of the board have actually floated the idea of picking up Scott Gomez. If we're going to (over-)pay someone 7.5 million dollars just to make the floor, I'd rather overpay Doan for his trouble than sign someone else to something stupid or pickup someone else's salary mistake (Gomez=7.5M, Connolly=5.5, etc)

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:48 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I like Gambo although he was more entertaining to listen to when he was able to be less PC working for 910. He broke the Nash story and every other national media outlet was quoting him. He also talks to Doan so I wouldn't be surprised if the $30 mil is accurate. It only takes one idiot to mess things up and the FA class for this year and trade activity have been extremely weak. Don't forget that the $30 mil might be given expecting a roll back in salaries with the new CBA.

RemoAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
His agent said that media is pretty surprisingly good at getting scoops. He says sometimes he's in the room with just two other people and the media's got a hold of it in hours. They pressed him to confirm the 30mil. He said he wasn't comfortable discussing specifics while negotiations are ongoing (obviously). Almost leads me to believe it might be true, but there's every reason why his agent would want people to believe it.

Maloney and the agent spent 45 mins on the phone today. Agent doesn't speak with Jamison but Shane has.

Both he and Shane have been overwhelmed by interest from other teams and interest from media (specifically Canadian media). Turned his phone off for a quick flight and had twenty three voicemails from Canadian media when he turned his phone back on. Seems more annoyed than flattered.

Seems like neither Bross nor Maloney have any clue what's going on with the ownership mess.

Overall, it didn't sound like he was going to give out any real info. but neither radio show host tried at all to get answers. Nothing even close to "at this point, would you say it's more likely or less likely that Shane Doan is a Phoenix Coyote next season?" Nothing anywhere near like "What can you share with us about the 45min conversation you had with Maloney today?". No decent questions. I'm not asking for hardballs, and I know he'll probably duck most of that stuff but they didn't try at all. You can be tactful, polite and professional and still at least make an effort to do your job. I hate the sports media in this town. Gutless.
You should either call the show or send Roc an email with your concerns. Complaining on this site isn't going to accomplish anything. You should take advantage of the fact at least there is a radio show host who talks hockey year 'round, and responds to emails. There is one person in the local media who consistently and openly supports the Coyotes and their efforts to stay, and the best you can do is include him in your 'Gutless' comment with the rest of the local media? It's counterproductive, and to a certain extent 'Gutless'.

Was it gutless when they asked Darcy Olsen onto the show and attacked her and GWI? I agree the majority of local media is gutless when it comes to the Coyotes, but to include Roc in that group is doing a disservice to him and your beloved Coyotes.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:41 AM
DesertDawg

Wouldn't surprise me if it was Ronnie Franchise that offered that contract. It may be overpayment, but it would take that much to get Doan thinking about it and going to a market that he wouldn't necessarily be looking into. It was speculated that the 'Canes were trying to make a splash in free agency (looking for a top forward) and that would do it...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:02 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I like Gambo although he was more entertaining to listen to when he was able to be less PC working for 910. He broke the Nash story and every other national media outlet was quoting him. He also talks to Doan so I wouldn't be surprised if the $30 mil is accurate. It only takes one idiot to mess things up and the FA class for this year and trade activity have been extremely weak. Don't forget that the $30 mil might be given expecting a roll back in salaries with the new CBA.
I agree.....I think Gambo heard the number, I just think it was from Doan's agent and that the number is bogus.......just trying to drive the price up.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
You should either call the show or send Roc an email with your concerns. Complaining on this site isn't going to accomplish anything. You should take advantage of the fact at least there is a radio show host who talks hockey year 'round, and responds to emails. There is one person in the local media who consistently and openly supports the Coyotes and their efforts to stay, and the best you can do is include him in your 'Gutless' comment with the rest of the local media? It's counterproductive, and to a certain extent 'Gutless'.

Was it gutless when they asked Darcy Olsen onto the show and attacked her and GWI? I agree the majority of local media is gutless when it comes to the Coyotes, but to include Roc in that group is doing a disservice to him and your beloved Coyotes.
Roc is the biggest Yotes supporter of all the media in the valley and its not even close. he blasts the Goldfish Cult regularly on twitter too.

Old
07-14-2012, 01:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post

It is kind of funny after all the heat they took on the Jamison groups early interest that they may well turn out to be correct despite all of the bashing from myself and basically everyone but you.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:04 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
Quote:

I'll be very surprised if the 4 yr/$30m figure,turns out to be accurate.

Hopefully,he ends up staying with the Yotes.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm going to guess Shane Doan signs a four year contract tomorrow. I hope it is with the Coyotes. *sonervous*

Old
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I'm going to guess Shane Doan signs a four year contract tomorrow. I hope it is with the Coyotes. *sonervous*
I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if it's not with the Coyotes. I may just take off running in no particular direction. Doan just has to stay in Phoenix, otherwise it's like dividing by zero or something. I'm positive him leaving would tear a hole in the universe.

Last edited by Sinurgy: 07-16-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Accidentally a word
Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Message to Doan: I take a subway to my Portuguese classes everyday. If you leave, that jump will be a lot more tempting.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:17 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I hope he signs with us tomorrow. I just emailed my form to my rep for my season tickets. After all that waiting, I still wound up renewing without knowing if we'll have an owner. Come on Doan. Ink that deal so we at least have a positive sign!

Old
07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Haha, kudos to @JulieRoseland on Twitter

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:03 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post

Haha, kudos to @JulieRoseland on Twitter
Where was that?

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
Where was that?
WWE was in Phoenix!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if it's not with the Coyotes. I may just take off running in no particular direction. Doan just has to stay in Phoenix, otherwise it's like diving by zero or something. I'm positive him leaving would tear a hole in the universe.
Do a little Forrest gump move.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Saw on Twitter somwhere (forget where) that it was Carolina offering Doan the 4 yr/$30M number. $7.5M per year is not outrageous when you see some of the other contracts signed in the past 3 weeks.

4 year/$24m sounds fair to me. Hope Doan, Bross, GJ and GMDM all agree.

One thing favoring Doan staying is that GJ doesn't want his first transaction post-sale to be the loss of Shane Doan.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If i had to guess with a gun to my head I'd say Doan signs elsewhere at least a full month before Jamison finalizes any purchase.