HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan Tested Free Agency, Got Back on His Horse and Stayed!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2012, 07:00 PM
  #151
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
I have been watching Doaner since his rookie days with the Jets. I absolutely value his contributions as a player, captain and in the community. This guy brings much more to his club than what can be seen on the score sheet.

Never the less, $7.5mm annually for 4 years would represent a gross over payment. If that's what it takes... he will have to move.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
  #152
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,196
vCash: 500
Haha. Eklund stealing from John Gambadoro? It's the end of days. The biggest idiot in Arizona sports incorrectly blurted out some nonsense he misheard and the biggest liar, snake oil selling, phony in hockey rips him off. Hahahahahaha

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:07 PM
  #153
Naurutger
Make it so
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 1454
Doans agent will be on 1060 am in about 7 minutes

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
  #154
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Doans agent will be on 1060 am in about 7 minutes
This could actually be interesting. I trust the opinion of Doan's agent on our ownership situation more than any quotes from NHL, JIG, COG, GWI, PAC, or any of the other acronyms. haha.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:19 PM
  #155
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Someone please take notes. I cant listen!

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:28 PM
  #156
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,196
vCash: 500
His agent said that media is pretty surprisingly good at getting scoops. He says sometimes he's in the room with just two other people and the media's got a hold of it in hours. They pressed him to confirm the 30mil. He said he wasn't comfortable discussing specifics while negotiations are ongoing (obviously). Almost leads me to believe it might be true, but there's every reason why his agent would want people to believe it.

Maloney and the agent spent 45 mins on the phone today. Agent doesn't speak with Jamison but Shane has.

Both he and Shane have been overwhelmed by interest from other teams and interest from media (specifically Canadian media). Turned his phone off for a quick flight and had twenty three voicemails from Canadian media when he turned his phone back on. Seems more annoyed than flattered.

Seems like neither Bross nor Maloney have any clue what's going on with the ownership mess.

Overall, it didn't sound like he was going to give out any real info. but neither radio show host tried at all to get answers. Nothing even close to "at this point, would you say it's more likely or less likely that Shane Doan is a Phoenix Coyote next season?" Nothing anywhere near like "What can you share with us about the 45min conversation you had with Maloney today?". No decent questions. I'm not asking for hardballs, and I know he'll probably duck most of that stuff but they didn't try at all. You can be tactful, polite and professional and still at least make an effort to do your job. I hate the sports media in this town. Gutless.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:29 PM
  #157
Naurutger
Make it so
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 1454
Nothing said, did not reveal other offers and there is no deadline and Doan is in constant contact jamison.

Just read rt's breakdown which is a much better summary than mine above

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
  #158
_Del_
Registered User
 
_Del_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SkullcrusherMountain
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
I have been watching Doaner since his rookie days with the Jets. I absolutely value his contributions as a player, captain and in the community. This guy brings much more to his club than what can be seen on the score sheet.

Never the less, $7.5mm annually for 4 years would represent a gross over payment. If that's what it takes... he will have to move.
I agree that $7.5M/4yrs is absolutely ridiculous.

With that said, I think I would still pay it. And the only reason why is that we are way below the floor to the point that members of the board have actually floated the idea of picking up Scott Gomez. If we're going to (over-)pay someone 7.5 million dollars just to make the floor, I'd rather overpay Doan for his trouble than sign someone else to something stupid or pickup someone else's salary mistake (Gomez=7.5M, Connolly=5.5, etc)

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:48 AM
  #159
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
I like Gambo although he was more entertaining to listen to when he was able to be less PC working for 910. He broke the Nash story and every other national media outlet was quoting him. He also talks to Doan so I wouldn't be surprised if the $30 mil is accurate. It only takes one idiot to mess things up and the FA class for this year and trade activity have been extremely weak. Don't forget that the $30 mil might be given expecting a roll back in salaries with the new CBA.

RemoAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:26 AM
  #160
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.
 
Devils Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
His agent said that media is pretty surprisingly good at getting scoops. He says sometimes he's in the room with just two other people and the media's got a hold of it in hours. They pressed him to confirm the 30mil. He said he wasn't comfortable discussing specifics while negotiations are ongoing (obviously). Almost leads me to believe it might be true, but there's every reason why his agent would want people to believe it.

Maloney and the agent spent 45 mins on the phone today. Agent doesn't speak with Jamison but Shane has.

Both he and Shane have been overwhelmed by interest from other teams and interest from media (specifically Canadian media). Turned his phone off for a quick flight and had twenty three voicemails from Canadian media when he turned his phone back on. Seems more annoyed than flattered.

Seems like neither Bross nor Maloney have any clue what's going on with the ownership mess.

Overall, it didn't sound like he was going to give out any real info. but neither radio show host tried at all to get answers. Nothing even close to "at this point, would you say it's more likely or less likely that Shane Doan is a Phoenix Coyote next season?" Nothing anywhere near like "What can you share with us about the 45min conversation you had with Maloney today?". No decent questions. I'm not asking for hardballs, and I know he'll probably duck most of that stuff but they didn't try at all. You can be tactful, polite and professional and still at least make an effort to do your job. I hate the sports media in this town. Gutless.
You should either call the show or send Roc an email with your concerns. Complaining on this site isn't going to accomplish anything. You should take advantage of the fact at least there is a radio show host who talks hockey year 'round, and responds to emails. There is one person in the local media who consistently and openly supports the Coyotes and their efforts to stay, and the best you can do is include him in your 'Gutless' comment with the rest of the local media? It's counterproductive, and to a certain extent 'Gutless'.

Was it gutless when they asked Darcy Olsen onto the show and attacked her and GWI? I agree the majority of local media is gutless when it comes to the Coyotes, but to include Roc in that group is doing a disservice to him and your beloved Coyotes.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:41 AM
  #161
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Wouldn't surprise me if it was Ronnie Franchise that offered that contract. It may be overpayment, but it would take that much to get Doan thinking about it and going to a market that he wouldn't necessarily be looking into. It was speculated that the 'Canes were trying to make a splash in free agency (looking for a top forward) and that would do it...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  #162
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor
 
amjay13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I like Gambo although he was more entertaining to listen to when he was able to be less PC working for 910. He broke the Nash story and every other national media outlet was quoting him. He also talks to Doan so I wouldn't be surprised if the $30 mil is accurate. It only takes one idiot to mess things up and the FA class for this year and trade activity have been extremely weak. Don't forget that the $30 mil might be given expecting a roll back in salaries with the new CBA.
I agree.....I think Gambo heard the number, I just think it was from Doan's agent and that the number is bogus.......just trying to drive the price up.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
  #163
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
You should either call the show or send Roc an email with your concerns. Complaining on this site isn't going to accomplish anything. You should take advantage of the fact at least there is a radio show host who talks hockey year 'round, and responds to emails. There is one person in the local media who consistently and openly supports the Coyotes and their efforts to stay, and the best you can do is include him in your 'Gutless' comment with the rest of the local media? It's counterproductive, and to a certain extent 'Gutless'.

Was it gutless when they asked Darcy Olsen onto the show and attacked her and GWI? I agree the majority of local media is gutless when it comes to the Coyotes, but to include Roc in that group is doing a disservice to him and your beloved Coyotes.
Roc is the biggest Yotes supporter of all the media in the valley and its not even close. he blasts the Goldfish Cult regularly on twitter too.

RemoAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:06 PM
  #164
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
You should either call the show or send Roc an email with your concerns. Complaining on this site isn't going to accomplish anything. You should take advantage of the fact at least there is a radio show host who talks hockey year 'round, and responds to emails. There is one person in the local media who consistently and openly supports the Coyotes and their efforts to stay, and the best you can do is include him in your 'Gutless' comment with the rest of the local media? It's counterproductive, and to a certain extent 'Gutless'.

Was it gutless when they asked Darcy Olsen onto the show and attacked her and GWI? I agree the majority of local media is gutless when it comes to the Coyotes, but to include Roc in that group is doing a disservice to him and your beloved Coyotes.
It is kind of funny after all the heat they took on the Jamison groups early interest that they may well turn out to be correct despite all of the bashing from myself and basically everyone but you.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:04 PM
  #165
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,893
vCash: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
His agent said that media is pretty surprisingly good at getting scoops. He says sometimes he's in the room with just two other people and the media's got a hold of it in hours. They pressed him to confirm the 30mil. He said he wasn't comfortable discussing specifics while negotiations are ongoing (obviously). Almost leads me to believe it might be true, but there's every reason why his agent would want people to believe it.

Maloney and the agent spent 45 mins on the phone today. Agent doesn't speak with Jamison but Shane has.

Both he and Shane have been overwhelmed by interest from other teams and interest from media (specifically Canadian media). Turned his phone off for a quick flight and had twenty three voicemails from Canadian media when he turned his phone back on. Seems more annoyed than flattered.

Seems like neither Bross nor Maloney have any clue what's going on with the ownership mess.

Overall, it didn't sound like he was going to give out any real info. but neither radio show host tried at all to get answers. Nothing even close to "at this point, would you say it's more likely or less likely that Shane Doan is a Phoenix Coyote next season?" Nothing anywhere near like "What can you share with us about the 45min conversation you had with Maloney today?". No decent questions. I'm not asking for hardballs, and I know he'll probably duck most of that stuff but they didn't try at all. You can be tactful, polite and professional and still at least make an effort to do your job. I hate the sports media in this town. Gutless.
I'll be very surprised if the 4 yr/$30m figure,turns out to be accurate.

Hopefully,he ends up staying with the Yotes.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:50 AM
  #166
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,196
vCash: 500
I'm going to guess Shane Doan signs a four year contract tomorrow. I hope it is with the Coyotes. *sonervous*

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM
  #167
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm going to guess Shane Doan signs a four year contract tomorrow. I hope it is with the Coyotes. *sonervous*
I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if it's not with the Coyotes. I may just take off running in no particular direction. Doan just has to stay in Phoenix, otherwise it's like dividing by zero or something. I'm positive him leaving would tear a hole in the universe.


Last edited by Sinurgy: 07-16-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Accidentally a word
Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:18 AM
  #168
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful
 
Blubba Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NE Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,275
vCash: 500
Message to Doan: I take a subway to my Portuguese classes everyday. If you leave, that jump will be a lot more tempting.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:17 AM
  #169
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
I hope he signs with us tomorrow. I just emailed my form to my rep for my season tickets. After all that waiting, I still wound up renewing without knowing if we'll have an owner. Come on Doan. Ink that deal so we at least have a positive sign!

RemoAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
  #170
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful
 
Blubba Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NE Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,275
vCash: 500

Haha, kudos to @JulieRoseland on Twitter

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:03 AM
  #171
krepitch
Coyote Fan
 
krepitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post

Haha, kudos to @JulieRoseland on Twitter
Where was that?

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
  #172
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 7,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
Where was that?
WWE was in Phoenix!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
  #173
doaner
Registered User
 
doaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flag
Country: United States
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if it's not with the Coyotes. I may just take off running in no particular direction. Doan just has to stay in Phoenix, otherwise it's like diving by zero or something. I'm positive him leaving would tear a hole in the universe.
Do a little Forrest gump move.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
  #174
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 724
vCash: 500
Saw on Twitter somwhere (forget where) that it was Carolina offering Doan the 4 yr/$30M number. $7.5M per year is not outrageous when you see some of the other contracts signed in the past 3 weeks.

4 year/$24m sounds fair to me. Hope Doan, Bross, GJ and GMDM all agree.

One thing favoring Doan staying is that GJ doesn't want his first transaction post-sale to be the loss of Shane Doan.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
  #175
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,196
vCash: 500
If i had to guess with a gun to my head I'd say Doan signs elsewhere at least a full month before Jamison finalizes any purchase.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.