HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Spotting Fake Jerseys

Old
07-15-2012, 01:42 AM
SensForLife11

vCash: 500
Spotting Fake Jerseys

I know a large majority of members here won't need to give this a read, but thought I'd share this article I wrote on how to spot fake jerseys for anyone that needs some insight on the subject.

http://senshot.com/2012/07/15/spotti...-sens-jerseys/

SensForLife11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:55 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I don't think you mentioned it (you very well could have, it's late and I'm tired), but another common trait for fake jerseys is the jersey material is the same for every part of the jersey. A real EDGE jersey will not be made exclusively using one kind of fabric.

A perfect example of this is the area around the NHL shield at the neck. In this picture, you can clearly see the area around the NHL shield uses the same material as the rest of the jersey - it's a fake.

Whereas a real jersey will use a silkier fabric around the NHL crest (note the straight vertical knit, and compare it to the cross-pattern with air holes used on the fake jersey, and the surrounding material on the real jersey):

This one's not easy to pick up via ebay or photos of the jersey, because details usually get lost at a distance. They are easy to spot on a jersey if you're able to get a close look (say, if you were buying in-person).

07-15-2012, 01:55 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
90% of those jerseys are so obviously fake that only a....special person would think otherwise.

Marvelous Manked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:47 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
90% of those jerseys are so obviously fake that only a....special person would think otherwise.
Damn you Manked, I WANTED to be the guy to say this, haha.

95% are so, so obvious... like, c'mon. Nobody is fooling anyone. Sucky, garbage-quality improperly-sized & stitched fight strap is always the dead giveaway, but there are so, so many others...

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

95% are so, so obvious... like, c'mon. Nobody is fooling anyone. Sucky, garbage-quality improperly-sized & stitched fight strap is always the dead giveaway, but there are so, so many others...
No... Their friends cant tell the difference and the quality is better!!!

The borderline reflective, wrinkley numbers always give me a giggle. Or the "O" logo thats about the size of an average shoulder patch O

Legend Killer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:21 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
No... Their friends cant tell the difference and the quality is better!!!

The borderline reflective, wrinkley numbers always give me a giggle. Or the "O" logo thats about the size of an average shoulder patch O
Haha, too true.

Want to go for a 1:00am jog? Wear a fake jersey, the numbers will ensure you'll never get hit by a car.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Rumcajs

I bought a really nice fake off ebay. Looks exactly the same in every aspect except (it is a Karlson Heritage) that the all star patch is missing the Canadian flag at the top and both of the shoulder patches are in English rather than one being in french.

Some are worth it though.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:32 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I bought a really nice fake off ebay. Looks exactly the same in every aspect except (it is a Karlson Heritage) that the all star patch is missing the Canadian flag at the top and both of the shoulder patches are in English rather than one being in french.

Some are worth it though.
I bet I could spot, at least, 5 major identifiable differences between it and a legit pro.

I'd bet you $20 without even having seen your knockoff yet.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Rumcajs

Quote:
I bet I could spot, at least, 5 major identifiable differences between it and a legit pro.

I'd bet you $20 without even having seen your knockoff yet.
Probably but at this point i wont be buying a new one since Lehner, Zibanejad, and Ceci all signed it

Old
07-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:

Frankly, I'm surprised it took 3 whole posts before you found your way into this thread

Old
07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I am glad non of mine are fake.

My blanks were gifts (bought at Sportschek)
I have a tradition that I buy one new named jersey at SBP on opening night.

I hate the fake jerseys.

If you dont want to spend $199 on a jersey with a name on it, fine dont.

There is no rule you have to wear a jersey to a game. It's not like they are gonna look up in the stands and say "Hey! you with the real Gonchar jersey! We need a player quick!"

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

I only have one fake jersey, but the reason I bought it was because it's going to hang on my wall, and the front looks...somewhat legit.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:45 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I'm not able to view that site at work but I saw a stupid amount of heritage jerseys with the wrong lettering on them at SBP. Pure white instead of the cream or 'off-white'. Hideous stuff. Not sure if they were fakes or some sticher just messed up a whole order.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:52 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised it took 3 whole posts before you found your way into this thread
Eh, I was busy with other things...

Old
07-15-2012, 10:10 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'm not able to view that site at work but I saw a stupid amount of heritage jerseys with the wrong lettering on them at SBP. Pure white instead of the cream or 'off-white'. Hideous stuff. Not sure if they were fakes or some sticher just messed up a whole order.
I see them all the time, I'm pretty sure they are fakes but it's definitely possible that they bought legit heritage jerseys and had a cheap/amateur third party do the numbers and letters. Agreed that they're absolutely hideous.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:20 PM
KA BLAMO

Quote:
Probably but at this point i wont be buying a new one since Lehner, Zibanejad, and Ceci all signed it
Were you at the meet and greet at the development camp? If so, I saw you and that jersey looked awful.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Were you at the meet and greet at the development camp? If so, I saw you and that jersey looked awful.
Yes i was there.

Do you realize that there were at least 20-30** people wearing a heritage jersey? I remember at one point there were 6 people in a row, behind me, all wearing heritage jerseys.

**At the very least.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:28 PM
KA BLAMO

Quote:
Yes i was there.

Do you realize that there were at least 20-30** people wearing a heritage jersey?

**At the very least.
Wearing fake Karlsson jerseys at the meet and greet?

Old
07-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Wearing fake Karlsson jerseys at the meet and greet?
See the hole in your story is that i wasn't wearing it i was holding it. I took my jersey off inside the meet and greet so you have the wrong guy.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:52 PM
KA BLAMO

Quote:
See the hole in your story is that i wasn't wearing it i was holding it. I took my jersey off inside the meet and greet so you have the wrong guy.
You claimed that there were "20-30 people wearing heritage jerseys", to which I responded there were not 20-30 people wearing fake Karlsson jerseys.

Regardless, there are numerous flaws that are obvious in every fake jersey. Though you may think it looks "exactly the same in every aspect", they are very, very easy to spot.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:18 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I see them all the time, I'm pretty sure they are fakes but it's definitely possible that they bought legit heritage jerseys and had a cheap/amateur third party do the numbers and letters. Agreed that they're absolutely hideous.
Possible, but highly unlikely. The way the numbers and letters are done on the fake jerseys is to use an embroidery machine, kind of like this one:

... which is why the stitches around the numbers of most fake jerseys are so goddamned tight and pull the fabric of the numbers in, creating that ugly-ass "bubble" effect. Well, that, and the garbage-quality material they use to crest the jerseys with. Proper customization is done with tackle-twill... the fake stuff, I don't know what it is, but it's certainly not anything like proper sport twill. It's some polyester monstrosity.

Proper stitching should look like this:

Here's a good comparison of what an ACTUAL stitched jersey looks like compared to the machine-stitched fakes (this one is a San Diego Chargers jersey, but it illustrates perfectly the quality difference in the process of how fake jerseys are made differently. Fake on the left, legit jersey on right):

So anyways, aside from the difference in quality, anyone who would have an industrial embroidery machine would be running their business with such large minimum orders that they would never bother with single orders for jersey customization, seeing as how shops with that much money invested in their infrastructure survive on bulk work, not one-off pieces. So I guess, yes, it's possible that a very small number of people are buying regular jerseys and having them customized poorly, although I can tell you they'd look... different than the bad customization jobs that you see on fake jerseys.

... So yeah. The more you know!

Old
07-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Ice-Tray

Wow, I had no idea there were so many jersey snobs out there.

I'm really am a lifelong learner...

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:46 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

My rule is..

If you can afford to buy a ticket, you can afford to buy at least one jersey to wear to a game.

My biggest pet peeve is when people in the lower bowl have no trace of apparel supporting their team. Its way too frequent when I go to Sens/Nucks games.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:40 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
Wow, I had no idea there were so many jersey snobs out there.

I'm really am a lifelong learner...
It really isn't that hard to spot a fake. I'll call my buddies out on having fakes but beyond throwing a friendly chirp, I don't get confrontational about it. I prefer real ones myself because I know my money is going to support the team, and I know the quality will be a lot better. I can understand why people would go the fake route, though. From a pure aesthetic standpoint, some of the fakes are absolutely hideous.

For example, this jersey looks absolutely terrible:

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:48 AM
bring on the bass

edit

Last edited by bring on the bass: 07-16-2012 at 02:59 AM.
bring on the bass is offline   Reply With Quote