Modo Hockey

vCash: 500
Dallas Stars sign Ludvig Byström to 3-year ELC, assign him to Sweden

Initial rumour:
http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...v-nhl-kontrakt

Byström confirms:
http://allehanda.se/sport/modo/1.490...ng-till-dallas

Quote:
- When my agent called and told me about the offer, I just couldn't believe it, says Ludwig Byström.
He also says that he's set to play another year or two in Sweden.

For any future news on Byström, just give me a follow on twitter: @Fregust

Fregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Nice!

07-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Its easy to keep track who has got an ELC if almost everybody gets one.

Good signing thought Faksa was the exception to get an ELC so quickly.

Last edited by Arpi3080: 07-16-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:07 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
We know Dallas was trying to trade back into the first round ... I never really considered Bystrom could be the target, but this definitely makes you think that he was the target.

I get moving so fast on Faksa, but this is out of character for the Stars. They moved really, really fast on this. I'm not complaining at all though BTW.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Ub the Bub

Maybe they're just trying to get these things done before the new CBA happens in case it brings about any undesirable changes...

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:22 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub the Bub View Post
Maybe they're just trying to get these things done before the new CBA happens in case it brings about any undesirable changes...
The owners are asking for 5 year entry level contracts. Any NHL team would drool over that possibility.

Now ... in reality ... my guess that was one of the decoy demands they aren't too concerned about. The last CBA reduced the impact and cost of ELC's (in terms of big, upfront signing bonuses).

The 5 year demand could also just be an angle to set up some system of a required 2 year bridge contract which there has been some noise about reducing the impact of 2nd contracts (this is the reason Jamie Benn isn't signed, and GMJN states he wants to wait for the new CBA every time Benn comes up).

It's just my wild *** guess, but ELCs either stay the same or have minimal changes likely in favor of the owners. The players will make some concessions to get as big a piece of the revenue as possible. I can't see the PA fighting too hard for ELCs when there already isn't much money in them, and it's a system that doesn't seem to be broke.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:40 AM
BigG44

The first article quoted mentions some deadline to get players signed to an ELC. I'm honestly not aware of one. I do know most Euro contracts have a deadline on their out clause for the NHL, but Bystrom wouldn't be coming to the NHL/AHL regardless so I don't know why a deadline would matter.

Anyway ... it was interesting to see. I wish they had given more details about the deadline they were talking about.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Ub the Bub

I think the deadline they're talking about is the post draft deadline for newly drafted players signed in Europe if a team wants them to potentially play in the NHL the next season... Otherwise the deadline for any other player in Europe (unless their contract has special NHL release clauses and such) is at some point in late June (don't know exact date)... A mostly hypothetical deadline in Byström's case since he's staying in Sweden regardless, but still... Now they still have that option if they wanted to...

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Starsdude

If it like the NFL, rookies get screwed in favor of vets at the end of the day

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
If it like the NFL, rookies get screwed in favor of vets at the end of the day
Yeah that's what I was going for. That's a great example.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:54 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah that's what I was going for. That's a great example.
It's like many things run by unions. Last-In-First-Out.

ginblossoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:36 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I get moving so fast on Faksa, but this is out of character for the Stars. They moved really, really fast on this. I'm not complaining at all though BTW.
Neither am I. I love this new way of doing business. Of course it doesn't make sense to do this for every prospect, but for the Faksas and Bystroms of the world... as soon as they're willing, get that ink on paper. I think treating a player right like this can have positive repercussions down the road too.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Neither am I. I love this new way of doing business. Of course it doesn't make sense to do this for every prospect, but for the Faksas and Bystroms of the world... as soon as they're willing, get that ink on paper. I think treating a player right like this can have positive repercussions down the road too.
Terrific point.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I like it. It helps prevent an Erixon or Schultz type of situation. The contract is going to slide so there's no reason not to sign a guy like Faksa or Bystrom.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

A tiny bit surprised that they aren't signing him to move him to the OHL. Not that the Stars have any issue at all with players developing overseas, but in Bystrom's case he'd get a lot more ice time with Plymouth than being a #6 for Modo...good for you guys though, good for Bystrom, I hope it works out...

If 2012 proves to be another strong draft for Dallas, you'd really have to wonder if they'll be overlooked any further in terms of scouting ability and the cultivation of talent...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:17 PM
BigG44

Most Dallas ELC's are signed at training camp. Maybe Dallas is rushing to get these guys done because they fear there won't be a training camp that prospects can attend (late start to the season).

The other thing I was considering ... maybe these players/agents are pushing to get the deals done soon. Even though the push for 5 year ELC's wasn't public until Friday, maybe the players/agents already were aware of what was going on and think it has some legs. Like we've already discussed, I've noticed more articles pointing out veteran players are more likely to allow rookies to suffer a bit if it means they don't give up as much.

Anyway ... just two more possibilities of why Dallas is making such a big early run on ELCs. Since their cost is pretty minimal. I honestly don't know that the ownership situation had that big of an impact. I mean ... you're typically only taking about $90K guaranteed per year per contract.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Byström confirms, he will stay with Modo on loan next season. Says he doesn't know why Plymouth even drafted him.

http://hockeysverige.se/article/1332...rit-att-stanna

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:36 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Byström confirms, he will stay with Modo on loan next season. Says he doesn't know why Plymouth even drafted him.

http://hockeysverige.se/article/1332...rit-att-stanna
That article even mentioned it was out of the norm for a guy like Bystrom to get signed so soon, but the reason they give for this going down so quickly is that Dallas has already been communicating with Markus Naslund (MODO General Manager) about Bystrom's development. They seem to be on the same page.

A quote from Bystrom about development camp:
Quote:
It was really good. A really good organization with good facilities, a great great city where it is warm all year round. Almost too hot for me