HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Kulda signed by Sibir Novosibirsk (KHL)

Old
07-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Hansen Brother

vCash: 500
Well we kept the guy I wanted to move and let go of the guy I wanted to keep. Jets brass do this for a living so in Chevy I trust.

Prove me wrong Postma; show us you can actually play defense and not just be a Buff-lite.

Personally I think Redmond looks to be the most well rounded of all three.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I wish Kulda good luck in the KHL.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Good luck to Kulda. I think he could have been a good bottom pair guy to add some nastiness. Redmond might have passed him by and with Redmond and Postma, there likely wasn't room for him in the NHL.

Makes sense on his side to get more $ in the KHL as opposed to spending more time in the AHL.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:38 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Damn... hes actually sick, I was hoping he'd be with us this season, he looked pretty good with the Icecaps and Jets for like 7 games.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:06 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

As much as I'll miss him as a prospect, he didn't have a great chance of making the team in the long run.

Enstrom (if he re-signs) - Buff
Redmond - Bogosian
Postma - Stuart

That's how I see the line up in two seasons. After that, you've got Trouba, Yuen, Melchiori, etc. lining up to make the team.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:19 PM
TroubaFan1

He just didnt fit in right now. Plus we probably would of lost him passing him through waivers anyway.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Another reason to draft only Canadians!!!!
The guy played 6 years in North America (2 in the OHL and 4 in the AHL). It's not like he bolted to the KHL on the first occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Does anyone know of players from other teams signing with the KHL this year? This is what, number two or three for us, and I'm just wondering if this is a trend going around the league right now.
See post number 17

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Son of a *****. He should have been in the NHL this season, but clearly management was not going to give him that chance. He is done in a Jets uniform, but I would not be surprised one bit to see him back in the NHL one day, he should be.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:35 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

You could see it coming, he wasn't in the Jets long term plans, and he is definitely an NHL calibre defenseman. It opens the door to signing Mark Flood, who seems to have a good reputation with the organization, on a two way contact, and having good battle from 6 to 8 come training camp.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:31 PM
surixon

No real lose, he might have made an ok number 6 but that's easily replaceable both from our current stable of prospects or from free agency.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
You could see it coming, he wasn't in the Jets long term plans, and he is definitely an NHL calibre defenseman. It opens the door to signing Mark Flood, who seems to have a good reputation with the organization, on a two way contact, and having good battle from 6 to 8 come training camp.
If the was 'definitely' an NHL caliber defenseman he would be in the Jets long term plans.

And If he felt he was 'definitely' an NHL defenseman he wouldn't have cleared waivers 8 months ago.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:29 PM
BrokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
No real lose, he might have made an ok number 6 but that's easily replaceable both from our current stable of prospects or from free agency.
I remember the first time I watched Kulda play I thought he was pretty decent--played hard, decent skater and had a couple of nice hits. This was also at the same time when the jets were just horrific at keeping the puck out of their own net--Buff was making poor decisions defensively (I know, hard to believe), the GST line looked like they were playing on the PK (I know, hard to believe), and the team in general was really struggling. Kulda seemed to play an easy game... defensively responsible, not flashy etc. This is why I originally thought he was decent, but as time went on, he too made a lot of 'rookie' mistakes and I wasn't particularly upset when he was sent down. It would have been nice to have him in SJ's but he took a larger paycheck and his future with the jets came with no guarantees. I am really looking forward to watching Redmond this training camp, that is IF there is a training camp

BrokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:33 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
I'm cool with this move, good luck to him

But he wasn't going to crack our roster ultimately

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:50 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
A bit of a plank, to be honest. Smart move for him to carve out a pro career in the KHL ... better than the AHL.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Canadienjet

Figured this would happen.Best of luck to Arty.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:26 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Son of a *****. He should have been in the NHL this season, but clearly management was not going to give him that chance. He is done in a Jets uniform, but I would not be surprised one bit to see him back in the NHL one day, he should be.
I agree.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:27 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Admittedly, I am pretty high on Kulda, but I am not too torn up about this. As much as I'd like to see him on the big squad this year, the Jets already have 7 D men on 1 way deals. Even with a great camp he likely wouldn't be making the big squad. Next year could be a completely different story.

I wrote a big blurb about it on AIH, but this is probably best for both sides. It gives the Jets room for Sol, O'Neill and Melchiori

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I saw this and literally thought, "Holden is going to lose his freaking mind".

Pretty anticlimactic though Holden.

I don't really care much, I didn't actually like him in the games I saw him play. To me he didn't show much hockey sense, it seemed like he played "what he knew", he would make the safe play 100% of the time, even if it was the wrong one. He'd also show zero creativity on any part of the ice.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

big buff enstrom

Bogo HAINSEY

pOSTMA Stuart

Clitsome Meech

(9th) Kulda Redmond

Uncle Feter-ling

We lost our 9 th Quality d man and Redmond was about to pass him this year on the pecking order..... HE WAS GOOD DEPTH FOR INJURIES BUT THAT ALL..........

Last edited by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17: 07-15-2012 at 09:56 PM.
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I saw this and literally thought, "Holden is going to lose his freaking mind".

Pretty anticlimactic though Holden.

I don't really care much, I didn't actually like him in the games I saw him play. To me he didn't show much hockey sense, it seemed like he played "what he knew", he would make the safe play 100% of the time, even if it was the wrong one. He'd also show zero creativity on any part of the ice.
Meh, I'm not happy, but even I could see the writing on the wall. I was just hoping that Jets management would wake up and make him the 6/7 defenseman. Just like I will continue to hope for a Cormier - Slater - Machacek 4th line with Miettinen and Thorburn as the extra forwards. But I knew/know that neither scenario is going to happen. Which is unfortunate.

Really I do think that Kulda will be back in the NHL one day, he is the exact type of defenseman that will greatly help a dynamic player (kinda like a Bogosian or Byfuglien ) to fully exploit their potential by being the safe dependable player that allows them to be dynamic without worrying so much about the result (see Drew Doughty and Rob Scuderi...). Somebody will recognize that one day, I hope. If not, Kulda will have a very long and successful career in a very good league, and with the best supported national team in ice hockey.

To say somebody like Meech is better than Kulda is hilarious though. Kulda still our 6th best defenseman, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:29 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
If not, Kulda will have a very long and successful career in a very good league, and with the best supported national team in ice hockey.
interesting. why is latvia the best supported team in ice hockey? Are you talking about their crazy fans or something particular?

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Nothing Is New

Seventh round pick at the crossroads.
24 years old.
Worked his tail off, but never able to play sustained NHL level hockey.
At this point, even the AHL playing time probably better off going to a younger Jet -like-

- Postma, Redmond and O'Neil, who will all be at the same make it or break it point next year. Clock is ticking.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Pretty apathetic about this.

I know others feel Kulda has nice potential, but I just haven't seen it. His timing and positioning looked average at best, especially for a guy who figures to be a defensive dman in the NHL. Really didn't see much that differentiated him from Flood or Festerling, the only difference is that Kulda is younger and may improve.

Always sucks to see an asset lost for nothing. Then again, Kulda was passed through waivers last season, and nobody bit. So I can't be the only one who doesn't really see him projecting in the NHL.
Pretty well my thoughts. Best of luck to Kulda in the KHL, and perhaps we see him back in the NHL one day.

07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Quote:
Meh, I'm not happy, but even I could see the writing on the wall. I was just hoping that Jets management would wake up and make him the 6/7 defenseman. Just like I will continue to hope for a Cormier - Slater - Machacek 4th line with Miettinen and Thorburn as the extra forwards. But I knew/know that neither scenario is going to happen. Which is unfortunate.

Really I do think that Kulda will be back in the NHL one day, he is the exact type of defenseman that will greatly help a dynamic player (kinda like a Bogosian or Byfuglien ) to fully exploit their potential by being the safe dependable player that allows them to be dynamic without worrying so much about the result (see Drew Doughty and Rob Scuderi...). Somebody will recognize that one day, I hope. If not, Kulda will have a very long and successful career in a very good league, and with the best supported national team in ice hockey.

To say somebody like Meech is better than Kulda is hilarious though. Kulda still our 6th best defenseman, IMO.
Meech is better than Kulda..... Meech is better than Kulda...... Meech is better than Kulda........... I said it three times and dont find anything hilarious about the statement......it rings pretty true.......
1) Meech beat Kulda out at training camp( Jets brass thought he was better)
2) Meech has more poise/ expierience (Detrit Red Wings and captain of Detroit AHL team in 2010/11
3) Meech had 9 points in 15 ice cap playoff games & was an even plus/minus and by all reports was the ice caps best defenceman in their playoffs.
note:Kulda did lead the caps in a plus 18 category in 63 reg season games but was a minus 3 with 1 assist in 13 ice cap playoff games.

as the Jets defensman pecking order stood b4 training camp started this year; IMO

6) postma
7)Clitsome
8) MEECH
9)Kulda
10 ) REdmond and Redmond was closing fast..........

Kulda thought his chances for Nhl employment was limited to injury reserve or he would have stuck around.........

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:07 AM
UKThrasher

Meech has more experience than Kulda? he's 5 years older, surely you see how that works?

Kulda is never going to rack up the points due to how he plays, but surely the fact he DOESNT have these points but still has a fantastic +/- means either one of two things.

1) his teammates are carrying him every shift.
2) he's very good defensively.

Remember, Meech is the same age as Stuart, he should be at that level around now, whereas Kulda has the ability to be a fantastic shutdown defenseman.

I think we've missed a trick letting him go, still.... onwards and upwards.

UKThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote