HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Esche is the playoff goalie

Old
04-19-2006, 01:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Esche is the playoff goalie

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...rt/default.asp

Was there really any doubt?

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
No, there really wasn't any doubt that Rebound Rob (I can't believe how many rebounds he gave up against the Isles last night) was going to get the nod.

The question becomes, how short is his leash?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
FlyersFanJS

i think that esche is going to return to his 2004 form and play a hell of a playoffs...right choice by hitch

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
i think that esche is going to return to his 2004 form and play a hell of a playoffs...right choice by hitch

Hope so !

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 03:30 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
This one quote really annoyed me: "I really wanted to see if Robert, who has missed a year, could get his game in order. This wasn’t a competition between two goalies, this was watching a veteran goalie to see if he could get his game in order"

So, Hitch cost us winning the division because he wanted to see if Robert could get his game in order. Great idea Hitch. Maybe next season, when Carter takes the next step to becoming the number one guy, Hitch will play Handzus more just to see if Handzus is up to the task. Or maybe he'll give Primeau more time to see if he can get his game back to form as well. Just brilliant......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 03:33 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
This one quote really annoyed me: "I really wanted to see if Robert, who has missed a year, could get his game in order. This wasn’t a competition between two goalies, this was watching a veteran goalie to see if he could get his game in order"

So, Hitch cost us winning the division because he wanted to see if Robert could get his game in order. Great idea Hitch. Maybe next season, when Carter takes the next step to becoming the number one guy, Hitch will play Handzus more just to see if Handzus is up to the task. Or maybe he'll give Primeau more time to see if he can get his game back to form as well. Just brilliant......
please tell me you're not blaming the loss of the division on the fact that robert esche wasn't thrown in the backup role this season

Old
04-19-2006, 03:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
please tell me you're not blaming the loss of the division on the fact that robert esche wasn't thrown in the backup role this season
Oh no. Not at all. I'm just saying that I'm real upset that Hitch wouldn't give Niittymaki the benefit of the doubt. That's what I'm real mad about. He used this year to allow Robert to round out into game shape. I think that decision was one of my factors that lead us to losing the division title. If Rob wasn't ready to play this year, that's his own fault.

What I also blame Hitch over was that he mentioned it wasn't even a competition for the starting goalie. He had no interest in using Niittymaki, who might I add, has played more hockey in the past couple of years than Red Light Robert. That's what bugs me. Hitch talks about how he coaches to win games. Letting Robert round himself into form is not indicative of winning games. So, if we was willing to do that with Robert, then why did he wait so long to give Carter decent amounts of ice time? Does anyone else here not see the double standard Hitch set? If you're a veteran, you always get the benefit of the doubt. If you're a first year player, you're afforded no such luxury. That's what annoys me.

Old
04-19-2006, 04:04 PM
sansan

Quote:
Oh no. Not at all. I'm just saying that I'm real upset that Hitch wouldn't give Niittymaki the benefit of the doubt. That's what I'm real mad about. He used this year to allow Robert to round out into game shape. I think that decision was one of my factors that lead us to losing the division title. If Rob wasn't ready to play this year, that's his own fault.

What I also blame Hitch over was that he mentioned it wasn't even a competition for the starting goalie. He had no interest in using Niittymaki, who might I add, has played more hockey in the past couple of years than Red Light Robert. That's what bugs me. Hitch talks about how he coaches to win games. Letting Robert round himself into form is not indicative of winning games. So, if we was willing to do that with Robert, then why did he wait so long to give Carter decent amounts of ice time? Does anyone else here not see the double standard Hitch set? If you're a veteran, you always get the benefit of the doubt. If you're a first year player, you're afforded no such luxury. That's what annoys me.
I don't know whether it cost us the division, but if i'm Niitty, I'm not feeling too good right now. (1) because he didn't get the starting job and (2) judging from the quotes, it seems like he was just a pawn in Hitch's master plan to "round Esche's game into shape". For someone who is usually so tactful with the media, I wonder why Hitch said it that way. First he says it is a goalie competition, now he says it wasn't ever that way. I don't get it.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 04:07 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
I don't know whether it cost us the division, but if i'm Niitty, I'm not feeling too good right now. (1) because he didn't get the starting job and (2) judging from the quotes, it seems like he was just a pawn in Hitch's master plan to "round Esche's game into shape". For someone who is usually so tactful with the media, I wonder why Hitch said it that way. First he says it is a goalie competition, now he says it wasn't ever that way. I don't get it.
ie. backup goaltender?

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

This is the right call. We've all seen Esche rounding into form just like Hitch said he was hoping for. He's the hotter of the two goalies, he has the Stanley Cup playoffs experience. I honestly think it's a no-brainer.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 04:09 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:

Esche has simply been better going into the stretch. Nitty has been given his shot at winning the starting job and for a while looked as if he would take it. Neither goalie has much to complain about. He gave Esche time to get back in shape, and Nitty plenty of time to learn the NHL game. Bottom line is that Hitch really couldnt care less about the feelings of the two goalies. His only priority is to chose the best option for the playoffs.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 04:13 PM
sansan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab79
ie. backup goaltender?
fabricated goalie controversy.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 04:13 PM
BringBackStevens

if i'm nitty im not upset, because i'm a rookie and haven't played well enough yet to deserve the starting spot. next year should be a different story, depending on what esche gives us in the playoffs.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 06:59 PM
FlyersFanJS

I agree...esche was better down the stretch and earned the spot

after the road trip Niitty was average at best...he did not play well consistently, it looks like esche has found his game and if he indeed returns to 2004 playoff form, he will be the unsung hero of this team

Old
04-19-2006, 09:10 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
The question becomes, how short is his leash?
That is the interesting question, and it would have been the interesting question whether Esche was named or Nittymaki.

Overall IMO a good call by Hitchcock. Esche has shown a lot of late, and he's got the experience.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2006, 05:03 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I feel real bad for Niitty because Hitchcock set him up. There was never any intention for Hitch to name Niitty the starter as it was just a ploy to help get Esche find his game. You know what, Esche can go **** himself. That idiot knew that there wasn't going to be hockey in 04-05 and instead of prepare for no hockey, he lets himself get out of shape, comes to camp, stinks up the joint, gets hurt, but yet Hitch goes out of his way to allow Red Light Rob to play himself back into shape. All what Niitty does is play some of the best hockey of his career over the past two years and he's rewarded by sitting on the bench so that Red Light Rob can start the playoffs. This is the same Red Light Rob who threw a temper tantrum in the media a few weeks ago about not being the starter. The same Red Light Rob who claimed that he would never play in the NHL if there were a salary cap. The same Red Light Rob who said that one of his U.S. hockey teammates didn't deserve to be there.

I just don't get it at all in Philadelphia. You have Niitty who carried the Phantoms team to the Calder Cup championship, the same Niitty who stood up and delivered during the months of November, December and January, the same Niitty who played out of this world at the Olympics, but yet he has a slump in Philadelphia and is given no opportunity to play out of it. He deserved better than this. For Hitch to say that there was never a competition for the starting position and that he was just waiting for Esche to play himself back into game shape is nothing more than a slap to the face of the job that Niitty did. And yet everybody likes this piece of crap as a coach. I just don't get it at all.

I'm a die hard Flyers fan and always will be. But I've never seen a coach in Flyers history do something like this. I've never seen a Flyers coach basically dismiss the work of one player just so that one of his favourites has an opportunity to play himself into game shape. I've never seen anything like that in all my years. I'm just completely baffled. And the fact that most people support the move is what baffles me even more. Literally, by Hitch's comments, he has s-hit all over the job Niitty did and basically said that Niitty was never his guy. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

Old
04-20-2006, 06:21 AM
A Flock Of Seguins

Esche won his right to be our playoff goalie this year, down the stretch.
Niitty won his right to be our playoff goalie for as long as we can resign him, at the olympics.

There's not a lot of experience between the pipes in the playoffs this year, I'm guessing Hitch hopes Esche will cope with it better, and there's always Niitty, who's hardly hated and is clearly a blatant net-stalwart around here for some time to come, to come in and steal that role right now if Esche stinks it up. If Esche keeps playing the way he is we're in a great position in goal. If he doesn't, we've still got the man who saved Finland. I think i'd personally rather have a game-shape Esche and a slightly out of sorts Niittymaki, who still has the potential to win games, than a game-shape Niitty and an out-of-it Esche to back him up and potentially play awful. I think Hitch is trying to make the team as solid in every aspect as it can be.

Niitty will be around for years to come and Esche is very good and very capable when he's on form, as we saw last year at this time, and I think that's the crux of it. He was getting good down the stretch, he wasn't going to get his starts cut dramatically as a result in favour of Frank was he? We'd be moaning about how Esche got sidelined when getting in good shape, for the medallist. Catch-22, but I think this gave us as rounded and complete a package in net as we could get.

A Flock Of Seguins is offline   Reply With Quote